Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Literally Kermit posted:

All kidding aside, where was the point you became disillusioned with Starbound?

Probably when I realized that I preordered snake oil from people who have trouble putting liquid in bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Devour or Fire posted:

Probably when I realized that I preordered snake oil from people who have trouble putting liquid in bottles.

That's a very pretty way of speaking! But, vague. Was it before the last stable, long after?

What feature of Starbound drew you to the game to begin with? Was it eliminated, or in some other state besides "unfinished"?

If the game came out tomorrow, feature complete, would you change your tune? Bloody unlikely, but I really am curious if a non-bitter you exists, because I don't remember anymore.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

oddium posted:

Actually Devour has legitamate complaints and a right to express them

You're right, s/he has a right to express them. I'm just asking a simple question: What are the 'legitamate' complaints?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

E-Tank posted:

You're right, s/he has a right to express them. I'm just asking a simple question: What are the 'legitamate' complaints?

"It's taking too drat long." That is a legit complaint.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Yes, it is. But one that I personally can live with based on the idea that I would rather have a game that is well done, than a half baked one. Though we're not talking about me. It is a legit complaint however, and it is a bit frustrating that what they said they wanted to do didn't get done in the amount of time they said they were aiming for.

Either way that would still imply a want for the game to be completed, and not a belief that chucklefish are just a bunch of snake oil salesmen and basically history's greatest monsters.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Literally Kermit posted:

You're exceptionally stupid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose technically if it takes much longer it may be possible to add 'it's too expensive' to the list based on the inflated value of $15 from 2 or 3 years ago :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

E-Tank posted:

'Combat looks like it's built around 1-on-1 fights which is terrible in games where you can get mobbed by multiple dudes. It wouldn't be good in a Dynasty Warriors game and it doesn't work here.'

'Mining is tedious and takes forever, in this the game where you have to mine for things to make yourself stronger.'

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
^^^ Also very legit!

Devour or Fire posted:

You're exceptionally stupid.

That's not the issue here. Can you just put aside insults and answer the question?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I'm waiting for people to start toxxing themselves as to whether the next stable update will be out by the December 4th one-year anniversary of the beta launch.

graynull fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 27, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Literally Kermit posted:

I've got bad news, Literally Kermit. I just got off the horn with Mr. Chucklefish himself and he told me your subpar reading comprehension may hinder your ability to fully enjoy this game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Devour or Fire posted:

or if they didn't get to see babe magnet's funny single word negative puns.

look, let us be realistic here

they're not that funny

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Let's me go over in detail what my grievance are with a company and how much I am expecting to play their game after calling them incompetent scammers.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
^^^ Yes, it would be something other than you whining. Change it up a little!

oddium posted:

I've got bad news, Literally Kermit. I just got off the horn with Mr. Chucklefish himself and he told me your subpar reading comprehension may hinder your ability to fully enjoy this game

I appreciate one of the many people who failed to read an open access' fine print is telling me I have subpar reading comprehension.

I also don't see how making fun of me accomplishes anything, other deflect the question away from your bosom chum over there.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

'Combat looks like it's built around 1-on-1 fights which is terrible in games where you can get mobbed by multiple dudes. It wouldn't be good in a Dynasty Warriors game and it doesn't work here.'

'Mining is tedious and takes forever, in this the game where you have to mine for things to make yourself stronger.'

Combat is something I wager is going to be hosed around with in the endgame. It's something you want to work with the mechanics, and setting the combat system in stone now would constrain their possibilities. Yes. Combat as it is? Does suck. There's no way to defend beyond jumping or using a shield, or trying to just attack them as fast as possible and kill them first. But until they come out and say "Alright, Combat is set in stone. We're not going to change anything one tiny bit." then I'm not all that worried about it.

Mining is, again, I can agree with. Right now, it loving sucks. I managed to build myself a copper pickax and then found out that I couldn't repair it, so it broke and I had to start all over again because I hadn't upgraded my MM. In a game where this is the final build and they weren't still constructing the game, it would be something that kills it outright. But we're not talking about a game that is in its final build. There will be balancing done and re-tweaking done before the game is considered 'complete'. You have to remember, you bought the game before it was completed, before it was finished, before it was balanced. You pre-purchased it, and instead of being told "Thanks for the money, now sit and spin while we try and build the game." They gave you access to the beta.

I'm not saying shut up, your complaints aren't valid, they are. They very much are. I just don't think that they're evidence enough that Chucklefish's employees are literally :godwin:. I'm pretty sure that if you've been posting on the starbound forums, the devs are aware.

Devour or Fire posted:

Let's me go over in detail what my grievance are with a company and how much I am expecting to play their game after calling them incompetent scammers.

So you have no legitimate complaints and are just shitposting? Okay then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

poo poo man, I'm not even trying to make total 'end all be all uncontestable complaints' I'm just coming up with something that you can legitimately get annoyed by that isn't 'Why is Tiy on Twitter when he should be coding???!'

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Devour or Fire posted:

Woah you better hold your horses there, sonny. You said A Mean Thing, which means that you've just invalidated all of your opinions. Next time why don't you sugar-coat it, maybe suck up to the developers a little more, so that my fragile virgin eyes don't have to read such vulgar litanies.

In the meantime, ignored and reported, bitch

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Literally Kermit posted:

^^^ Yes, it would be something other than you whining. Change it up a little!

Sure thing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

holy poo poo

E: Shouldn'tbuy

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Thank god someone finally acknowledged the elephant in the room.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Babe Magnet posted:

Woah you better hold your horses there, sonny. You said A Mean Thing, which means that you've just invalidated all of your opinions. Next time why don't you sugar-coat it, maybe suck up to the developers a little more, so that my fragile virgin eyes don't have to read such vulgar litanies.

In the meantime, ignored and reported, bitch

Listen, if I want to suck Chucklefish's dick, that's my own business but Jesus Christ I am tired of people crying that they got assfucked.

Quite the trump card there. I would never have imagined the majority of people would back-burner the game until a major stable update.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

E-Tank posted:

Combat is something I wager is going to be hosed around with in the endgame. It's something you want to work with the mechanics, and setting the combat system in stone now would constrain their possibilities. Yes. Combat as it is? Does suck. There's no way to defend beyond jumping or using a shield, or trying to just attack them as fast as possible and kill them first. But until they come out and say "Alright, Combat is set in stone. We're not going to change anything one tiny bit." then I'm not all that worried about it.

Mining is, again, I can agree with. Right now, it loving sucks. I managed to build myself a copper pickax and then found out that I couldn't repair it, so it broke and I had to start all over again because I hadn't upgraded my MM. In a game where this is the final build and they weren't still constructing the game, it would be something that kills it outright. But we're not talking about a game that is in its final build. There will be balancing done and re-tweaking done before the game is considered 'complete'. You have to remember, you bought the game before it was completed, before it was finished, before it was balanced. You pre-purchased it, and instead of being told "Thanks for the money, now sit and spin while we try and build the game." They gave you access to the beta.

I'm not saying shut up, your complaints aren't valid, they are. They very much are. I just don't think that they're evidence enough that Chucklefish's employees are literally :godwin:. I'm pretty sure that if you've been posting on the starbound forums, the devs are aware.

I don't think you have to point out that stuff is going to be changed, because that much is obvious. When we're talking about combat sucking, or mining sucking, or anything sucking, it's usually in the context of what we've been shown so far + what's on the devblog + what's in the dailies. No one is saying that Starbound's combat is irreversably hosed, and that they should just pack it in and go home, complaints are levied against these aspects because we don't want them to be final. It's much easier to change your plans for something before you implement it than it is to rewrite everything and change poo poo once it's already in place, which is why we're being so vocal.

E: Also I'm pretty sure the devs don't give a gently caress about stuff like hyperbole or my dumb puns, if they even read this thread anymore. They've shown that they're willing to poke at their own forums a little bit, RE: horsetits, so I would hope that they can take some ribbing of their own.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 27, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't think you have to point out that stuff is going to be changed, because that much is obvious. When we're talking about combat sucking, or mining sucking, or anything sucking, it's usually in the context of what we've been shown so far + what's on the devblog + what's in the dailies. No one is saying that Starbound's combat is irreversably hosed, and that they should just pack it in and go home, complaints and levied against these aspects because we don't want them to be final. It's much easier to change your plans for something before you implement it than it is to rewrite everything and change poo poo once it's already in place, which is why we're being so vocal.

E: Also I'm pretty sure the devs don't give a gently caress about stuff like hyperbole or my dumb puns, if they even read this thread anymore. They've shown that they're willing to poke at their own forums a little bit, RE: horsetits, so I would hope that they can take some ribbing of their own.

That's a good point, actually. Squeaky wheel, grease, etc. I don't see how point blank calling them snake oil men is constructive criticism.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's not constructive criticism but it also isn't a big deal so just let homeboy vent his frustration and put him on ignore if it upsets you so much.

E: I just found out Afraid of Audio got probated for a month and that makes me sad

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 27, 2014

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
close thread, re-open once there's news, or just never. goons can't handle video games.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nah. There's news all the time. It's what we're talking about, as far as mining and combat and such.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Chucklefish isn't hiring new programmers because it would take 6 months to teach them about starbound's spaghetti code.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Devour or Fire posted:

Chucklefish isn't hiring new programmers because it would take 6 months to teach them about starbound's spaghetti code.

Don't give a gently caress. Nice of you to dodge another question.

Maybe I will speak plainer: why do you think people are not playing in absence of an update? What were you trying to imply?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Literally Kermit posted:

Maybe I will speak plainer: why do you think people are not playing in absence of an update? What were you trying to imply?

columbo here does NOT give a gently caress, watch out!!

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Devour or Fire posted:

So he admits that he got lucky, and then publicly acknowledges that he still has stuff to learn.

Really having issues getting angry about that.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

E-Tank posted:

So he admits that he got lucky, and then publicly acknowledges that he still has stuff to learn.

Really having issues getting angry about that.

How can you not be angry about that? They underlined sentences in red and everything!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Literally Kermit posted:

Sorry, I thought we were allowed to go off on tangents after you veered off hard to avoid addressing these

Devour or Fire posted:

I hope I'm not making the thread where a group of people decided the best way to respond to criticism is by getting together and "ironically" shitposting for an entire page look bad.

Devour or Fire posted:

I'd really hate it if my post on the previous page ruined all the people who came to this thread to read kermit's funny captions for the 4chan tapestry comic, or if they didn't get to see babe magnet's funny single word negative puns.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Devour or Fire posted:

Sorry, I thought we were allowed to go off on tangents after you veered off hard to avoid addressing these

No, you really weren't.

Let's try a really really easy one.

Why do you even keep posting here if it pisses you off so much?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

E-Tank posted:

So you have no legitimate complaints and are just shitposting? Okay then.
if you actually want to see Devour or Fire's complaints maybe you should click that button which lets you see the posts they've made in this thread.

let's just randomly look through this thread and find some complaints, hope some of these count as 'legitimate' complaints instead of unjustified whining

Section Z posted:

Doesn't make it any less of a slog to have to eat a roast bannana every single time you get hit by an enemy, lest you die in one more hit and lose all progress. Or, whoops you tripped into a barely visible single tile of poison, again.

And any other number of things that makes it a slog regardless of "Well if you TRY hard enough, and take frequent breaks, then you can survive exploring more than 10 feet at a time in your exploration game :rolleyes:"

Devour or Fire posted:

I like how when somebody suggests doing something with shields in this outer space spaceship spaceman game, the first response goes to "ah yes, I'm looking forward to the upcoming changes to the sword n' board."

nerdz posted:

Interestingly enough, I think the biggest problem starbound has is the random monster generator. Thousands of combinations, all boring. Even if they keep adding new interesting special moves for the monsters, there's no rhyme nor reason for monsters in a certain biome or depth. After you've seen enough combinations It gets to a point where you not only don't care about the randomness, you barely notice it. Fighting against humanoids with their limited attacks for some reason feels way better.

IronicDongz posted:

the actual problem is that monsters all fill very similar roles.
You know how in super metroid(an exploration heavy game, which is fun) there are creatures that cling to walls and climb all around in caves, there are hopping creatures, there are small creatures that are attached to each other in a mass which they detach from when shot, creatures which move in a group, there are creatures which are essentially floating mines, there are creatures that hide in lava or sand, there are creatures that produce light, there are creatures like moray eels which retract into the walls, there are creatures that block hallways, there are creatures who lose their wings upon taking damage, creatures who cling to the ceiling and divebomb you, creatures which roll around in armor, mouths attached to the ceiling, fish, antlion things which wait underwater to pull you in when you go near, etc. etc. etc.

Meanwhile, Starbound has three enemy types-or, being generous, 6. Ground monster(melee and projectile), flying monster(melee and projectile), humanoid(melee and projectile).
There may be many more technically, due to the randomization, but the differences are quite shallow. You're not gonna engage 2 different melee ground monsters in a significantly different way, or 2 different flying projectile monsters. The only exception to this is if you fight out of the depth your armor/weapon tier allows, in which case you get 1-2 shot instead of 2-4 shot. Even given how hard it is to make a procedural generation system that feels consistently fresh, it's really disappointing.

IronicDongz posted:

The roadmap claims that basically everything except for quests and dungeon protection is 80% done or higher, so I don't expect the things I dislike to change much(and that's if they move in a positive direction instead of poo poo like more enforced tier grinding, no sand-surfing etc.)
obviously that's assuming the roadmap is accurate but my point is, just because it's not finished doesn't mean all judgement is void

Evilreaver posted:

This is really the thing that's I'm whining about. There have been very few (if any?) positive changes, and a lot of negative ones that the dev team stands behind, and that's the trend I'm afraid of. It took our constant whining to get the Beamaxe to be upgradable because someone on the devteam was in love with slowass pickaxe mining, etc.

Asimo posted:

You regenerate health in minecraft so you can actually explore without having to use five hundred loving bandages or drop a tent after every third fight.

Devour or Fire posted:

Remember when one of the first patches kneejerked the armor penetration system without seeing how it would work in the endgame and since then they haven't bothered dealing with any of the systems or ui stuff that assumed you'd never have more than 100 health.

Babe Magnet posted:

That just seems like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. I can't see any reason that there would be gated ores in the first place, since ore generation is tied to the planet tier you're on anyway. If you want to jump ahead to a zone where aliens murder the poo poo out of you on a regular basis to get those sweet, sweet tier 8 ores, I say power to you, and good luck.

You'll probably be allowed to "skip" tiers with the pickaxes and people will eat that poo poo up as being unique and groundbreaking.

Section Z posted:

Sadly required "If that is how they implement it in next stable" disclaimer here.

Can't talk about nightly changes because they might not reflect the final product. Can't talk about dev blogs because the might not reflect the final product. Can't talk about next stable when it eventually comes out because it might not reflect the final product. Can't talk about release when it happens because "They might patch that".

(this only applies if you are saying negative things, obviously)

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Literally Kermit posted:

No, you really weren't.

Let's try a really really easy one.

Why do you even keep posting here if it pisses you off so much?

Because chucklefish can't have their people moderate it.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I wish the two of you would just gently caress already

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

#Starfrown

Also this thread should probably be gassed because all that's good about it is seeing y'all get trolled by Devour with basically zero effort

Just make a new one when the fabled update is there

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Also this thread should probably be gassed because all that's good about it is seeing y'all get trolled by Devour with basically zero effort

no gently caress you this is funny as hell, if a little sad

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm going to make a new one when the update comes out, if someone doesn't beat me to it. It'll have a modding section and cool graphics and it'll be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tin Tim posted:

#Starfrown

Man screw that, Devour or Fire is 90% of the reason that the thread is so poo poo. Before the latest tangent between Literally Kermit and DoF people were discussing game stuff, even if a lot of it was rehashed ideas. I don't understand the pro-threadshitting rules that Games has embraced.

• Locked thread