Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Ah, I see. That's kind of annoying, considering it means you can't power up Earthes and Ion with crystals until later, and you're stuck with just one song magic. I guess there's no real downside to tossing my DPs into the vending machine in Nelico's Genometrics, then.

You actually get the crystal ability after finishing the first of her friends' cosmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Catts posted:

The worst part of Cross is that is has an amazing soundtrack but such horrendous battle music.

I dunno, I just kinda tuned it out or got used to it after a while. It's still bad but it's a minor thing once you hear the rest of the OST.

Plus, while the normal battle music sucked, I rather liked all the other battle music.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Did everybody think the main battle theme of Cross was that bad? Like, that seems to be a unanimous feeling.

It's been a while since I've played the game but it's not like I've forgotten the music and I don't remember ever really getting tired of it. At least, not more than any other RPG that uses the same battle theme throughout, they all get a little old eventually no matter how good they are.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

Did everybody think the main battle theme of Cross was that bad? Like, that seems to be a unanimous feeling.

It's been a while since I've played the game but it's not like I've forgotten the music and I don't remember ever really getting tired of it. At least, not more than any other RPG that uses the same battle theme throughout, they all get a little old eventually no matter how good they are.

Nah, I like the battle music, I mean it's hardly the best thing in the soundtrack but I don't remember getting completely sick of hearing it after 40 odd hours.

It's no Koudelka battle music anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj_sgpk8g9o

I mean it's not a bad track but this is the fighting enemies music.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 28, 2014

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Eh, I liked Gale. I've definitely heard worse battle themes. Not one of the best songs on the soundtrack by a long shot though.

Though the Radical Dreamers version sounds better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fQGVlceiGY

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I got Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean on the basis of its soundtrack being raved about everywhere I went. Well, among the rare soul who has actually played the game.

When I heard "The True Mirror" I knew I was not being deceived. BK's soundtrack was fantastic and to this day, that song remains one of my favorite "normal battle" themes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you haven't played Valkyrie Profile you should really try that, I think it has Motoi Sakuraba's best soundtrack, though I can barely remember anything of Baten Kaitos' music.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I'd say that Sakuraba's stuff is pretty divisive. I like it, especially his work on Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile, but, yeah, his symphonic synth sort of style is different.

Hell, Baten Kaitos by itself has a pretty divisive soundtrack.

e:
I never played Baten Kaitos 2, but I know that it had an arrangement of The True Mirror on the OST that I really liked. Was that used as the default battle theme in-game? Because I can't imagine hearing a giant sweeping orchestra for every battle versus a crab. It reminds me of Xenosaga's battle music but with 20 more pieces mixed in.

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 28, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BloodWulfe posted:

I'd say that Sakuraba's stuff is pretty divisive. I like it, especially his work on Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile, but, yeah, his symphonic synth sort of style is different.

He's equally capable of cool goth synth prog rock stuff like VP and utterly generic fantasy trash music like the Tales of games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some songs in the Tales games are pretty good, but a lot of the generic battle/town songs blend together.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's no Koudelka battle music anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj_sgpk8g9o

I mean it's not a bad track but this is the fighting enemies music.

To be fair, that's like one of the few tracks that game actually had. I remember it being mostly atmospheric stuff.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
This is an admittedly vague question, but does anyone have recommendations for RPGs that are around 15-25 hours long? I want to play something different than the MMOs and shooters I've been playing recently (holy poo poo, playing WoW and Destiny back-to-back is a great way to burn out on those genres hard), but avoid too much of a time commitment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

abraham linksys posted:

This is an admittedly vague question, but does anyone have recommendations for RPGs that are around 15-25 hours long? I want to play something different than the MMOs and shooters I've been playing recently (holy poo poo, playing WoW and Destiny back-to-back is a great way to burn out on those genres hard), but avoid too much of a time commitment.

Grandia II caps out at around that mark. The Dreamcast version's the best, but I believe the PC version's been fan-patched into something stable by now. The PS2 version should be avoided though. If you want something more modern, The Last Story on the Wii is about 30 hours long, at most, too.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

abraham linksys posted:

South Park: Stick of Truth, Nier, Suikoden 1 (To my disappointment; Right when I was falling in love with it, it ended), Lunar 1 (No more than 15 hours), Super Mario RPG, FF4, Parasite Eve.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

The SNES Final Fantasies. 6 can drag on a bit if you do too much of the World of Ruin stuff, but 4 and 5 are right around that mark.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Huh, I actually got FF4 for my Android tablet but stopped playing since I never use that loving thing :v:

Might pick up the PC version, which is a port of the Android version (which is a port of the DS version), though apparently there's a nasty 15fps frame lock in battles.

Thanks for the suggestions on the other games, investigating now. Suikoden sounds pretty cool (interesting setting, at least), but looks hard to come by these days (I don't have a PS3 or PSP :()

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Parasite Eve is a great suggestion for that.

Chrono Trigger is roughly 30 hours if you do all the content.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Random question.

I remember one of the Final Fantasys for PS1 had a ship or oil rig with creatures that would all say, 'WE ARE MEN...OF THE SEA!!'. Or something of that nature. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That's Xenogears.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Ahhh, thank you.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Abel Wingnut posted:

Random question.

I remember one of the Final Fantasys for PS1 had a ship or oil rig with creatures that would all say, 'WE ARE MEN...OF THE SEA!!'. Or something of that nature. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-3-6UwhxcY

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Endorph posted:

Yeah, no english subs. There are people working on an English patch but they've been at it for like five years at this point.

There is a pretty good Lets Play thread though right here in SA, youtube videos and most of the US faqs/storyline still applies. There are also some translations around for menus and such.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417981

I got rid of my Xbox and played through some of the PS3 version and it hasn't been too bad.

Edit: if someone wants to have a really long read to get some background on Ar Nosurge, here is a fully translated summary (with video/pics) of the Ciel Nosurge prequel. The guy translating this put a huge amount of effort. If I was KT/NISA I'd hire him on the spot. I haven't gotten Nosurge yet though (and haven't read through Ciel info) since I have a stack of PS2 RPGs 10-deep, but figure some people may enjoy it.

http://www.unit03.net/view/Ciel_nosurge/Summary

oblomov fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 28, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Super Ninja Fish posted:

South Park: Stick of Truth, Nier, Suikoden 1 (To my disappointment; Right when I was falling in love with it, it ended), Lunar 1 (No more than 15 hours), Super Mario RPG, FF4, Parasite Eve.

I'll throw in Phantasy Star IV, great nostalgic RPG and it's about 25-30 hours I think. Lunar 1 is also a really great choice. I went through PS1 version recently and heartily recommend it (PSP is not bad but not nearly as good as original). Lunar 2 is better, IMO, though.

PS2 also has bunch of RPGs around that length.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Speaking of Lunar and music, it was only yesterday that I made the connection between the first world map theme, the battle victory theme, and Adventure Road. It was one of those :aaaaa: moments when you realize something you should've known for years.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

oblomov posted:

There is a pretty good Lets Play thread though right here in SA, youtube videos and most of the US faqs/storyline still applies. There are also some translations around for menus and such.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417981

I got rid of my Xbox and played through some of the PS3 version and it hasn't been too bad.

Edit: if someone wants to have a really long read to get some background on Ar Nosurge, here is a fully translated summary (with video/pics) of the Ciel Nosurge prequel. The guy translating this put a huge amount of effort. If I was KT/NISA I'd hire him on the spot. I haven't gotten Nosurge yet though (and haven't read through Ciel info) since I have a stack of PS2 RPGs 10-deep, but figure some people may enjoy it.

http://www.unit03.net/view/Ciel_nosurge/Summary

I just read the abbreviated version that's linked in the introduction, and it seems sufficient for understanding Ar Nosurge. I'm probably missing minor details, but so far I don't feel as if I've needed anything but that overview to comprehend the story.

Speaking of, wow, they start just THROWING DP at you in Phase 2, huh? I managed to completely run out of my reserve DP for Ion after doing the Genometrics that unlocked at the start of it, went out, did like 3-4 fights while looking for talk topics, and now I'm back up to 25k DP. Plus, I've started getting S Ranks even in Veteran. Gameplay has gotten pretty fun now, though bosses remain entirely impossible to do in Veteran.

Also it's kinda shocking how quickly the girl's inclination changes through using songs. Within these 4 battles in which I tested the three new song magics I had obtained, Ion went all the way from the bottom left of the chart to the top left. It seems kind of impossible to keep them in the correct inclination for maximum efficiency.

E: Wow I just got further into Ion's Genometrics and this poo poo is just depressing, man. I forgot that beneath the veneer of creepy bullshit and super anime these games are actually pretty loving dark. No wonder Japanese hikki's got obsessed with Ion, considering the whole nature of Ciel Nosurge and subsequently Ar Nosurge.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 28, 2014

Ladderface
Jul 30, 2005

Mmmm-HHHMMMmmm...

abraham linksys posted:

Check out the first Shadow Hearts game. Real good mechanics, and (considering the genre) doesn't bother padding out the arc/gameplay/story. Only played it for the first time last year, but it's one of my gold standard jrpgs now.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

abraham linksys posted:

If you want a RPG with a sweet battle system that moves at a fast clip Wild Arms 4 is good and clocks in at roughly 20. Don't bother if you have a low bad plot tolerance level though.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tonfa posted:

If you want a RPG with a sweet battle system that moves at a fast clip Wild Arms 4 is good and clocks in at roughly 20. Don't bother if you have a low bad plot tolerance level though.

Oh... if one has great bad plot tolerance how about Star Ocean 4, Edge Maverick FTW. Note, I have no idea how long that game takes because I had to drop the thing after a few hours. And I thought I got such a great deal for a new copy at $17 back last year. Joke was on me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You paid about $30 too much for that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The correct answer for how long Star Ocean 4 takes is "too long".

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
In nosurge, I don't mind that during """purification""" the girls have to strip down to undies/skimpy bikini mode but it enrages me that meanwhile the dude just chills out in a tanktop and cargo shorts. What the gently caress! Thats some apartheid level inequality. I DEMAND A patch with banana hammocks or at the very least speedos. Besides the meat lovers among us need to get hard every once in a while while playing naughty JRPGs too, right?!?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Star Ocean 4 is about....50 hours I'd say. Maybe 40. That's only the main game though. There is a ton of sidequests in the regular game and then plenty of postgame content as well.

It is most certainly not a short game though. Some boss fights take around an hour.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nathilus posted:

In nosurge, I don't mind that during """purification""" the girls have to strip down to undies/skimpy bikini mode but it enrages me that meanwhile the dude just chills out in a tanktop and cargo shorts. What the gently caress! Thats some apartheid level inequality. I DEMAND A patch with banana hammocks or at the very least speedos. Besides the meat lovers among us need to get hard every once in a while while playing naughty JRPGs too, right?!?

Just wait until the second pair of characters, it's even MORE terrible! But yeah, such a shame they didn't back the one good thing about Qoga, the equal opportunity fanservice. Then again Delta is kind of an annoying character and Earthes is... Complicated. So it would probably not work out very well anyways.

Edit: On second thought, I'd kind of want an Earthes daikimura or something. Or would that be narcissistic?

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 29, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Random question, anyone here play Hanjuku Hero 3D on the PS2? Ive been able to parse out most of the mechanics with the little Japanese I know, but there are a few things I cant figure out.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Star Ocean 4 is about....50 hours I'd say. Maybe 40. That's only the main game though. There is a ton of sidequests in the regular game and then plenty of postgame content as well.

It is most certainly not a short game though. Some boss fights take around an hour.

I don't know if any of them are really supposed to take that long if you're at a reasonable level, but I did do that at least twice by failing to exploit their weakness.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:yikes:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
all of those ar games are pretty shameful, huh? do they at least have solid rpg elements to back them up?

speaking of shameful games, there was a late psx, possibly late ps2, possibly even early xbox 360 game that was one quarter dating sim, one quarter weapon crafting, and half dungeon diver in which you were some weird looking character whos name started with an m i think? and when you crafted weapons they would get power from the strength of your lady friends relationships or something? i don't think it was the original Ar game i'm thinking of, but i remember it being a game i played in the early / mid 2000s and its bothering me that i can't remember it

also, whats the verdict on fairy fencer and tears to tiara?

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

hubris.height posted:

all of those ar games are pretty shameful, huh? do they at least have solid rpg elements to back them up?

speaking of shameful games, there was a late psx, possibly late ps2, possibly even early xbox 360 game that was one quarter dating sim, one quarter weapon crafting, and half dungeon diver in which you were some weird looking character whos name started with an m i think? and when you crafted weapons they would get power from the strength of your lady friends relationships or something? i don't think it was the original Ar game i'm thinking of, but i remember it being a game i played in the early / mid 2000s and its bothering me that i can't remember it

Sounds like Thousand Arms.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

hubris.height posted:

1 and 2 had pretty solid crafting systems, and the battles were neat and flashy at the very least. Way too easy but it was pretty cool to beat guys up then unleash magical song nukes on their remains. Really sweet music if you like strange choral chanting and strings. I kind of liked the sheer amount of party chat they had, too, some of it was really dumb humour but it helped flesh the characters out. Qoga is just awful all round in comparison.

hubris.height posted:

speaking of shameful games, there was a late psx

Thousand Arms.

hubris.height posted:

Fairy Fencer is typical IF - same battle system they've used for their last few games only now it has a couple new features and a JRPG plot trying to take itself seriously. I haven't seen anything on Tears to Tiara outside of a couple tiny screenshots so I haven't bothered yet, but it feels like ages since I've played a decent strategy rpg that isn't a Disgaea so I might grab it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Thousand Arms seemed pretty fun, but the camera's tendency to swing around violently in cutscenes made me want to puke a bit.

hubris.height posted:

Dunno about TTT, but Fairy Fencer is a totally average JRPG with little to no redeeming features apart from the pedigree of a couple people working on it. Considering it's Compile Heart though that's actually pretty high praise.