Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gamwhiz1 posted:

...Now the question is, do I pluck Dirge of Cerberus out of my PS2 drawer and give that a chance? I've never tried it, and it obviously has something of a reputation, but is it more "narmy story, weird gameplay" or "aggressively unfun to play"? Like, I suck at shooters, but I've played and enjoyed a few (like Gungrave) and if there's at least SOMETHING redeeming there I'll try it out.

It's a bad story, hammy voice acting (probably the only "good" aspect), and mind-numbingly dull gameplay, filled with poorly thought out designs - things like giving Vincent a double jump, but sticking waist-high invisible walls everywhere, or impossible sub-objectives, like "Rescue Friendly Soldiers" that are impossible to complete due to them spawning next to an exploding barrel or something and dying before you can ever get to them. The difficulty is barely there, the only time there is ever any challenge is when the player is being sniped (and only then because you have to search for them), or in the special challenge areas where the game sets 100 or so enemies upon the player.

Gun customisation is poorly thought out; there are three barrel types, short, normal, and long - only the last two are of any use, and there's never a reason not to use a longer barrel. It has a machine gun, which is worthless, infact there's so many redudant parts, it makes it kind of pointless. And then, at the very end of the game, the game hands you a gun which has max stats, making all your upgrades redudant.

The story has terrible moments - extreme ludo-narrative dissonance aside, It's implied Vincent Valentine falls in love with a 19 year old girl, who physically has the body of a 9 year old! because she has the digital memories of Lucretica, so acts as a replacement for her, to him. It's gross.

Hojo is pretty great in this though. Just loving evil and he loves it.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pesky Splinter posted:

like giving Vincent a double jump, but sticking waist-high invisible walls everywhere

The original Japanese release didn't have jumping. But it did have online multiplayer.

..yeah.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Read the dark id's playthrough via Let's Play because at least he's funny.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dude, you mentioned Curtain Call. Dirge isn't in it for a reason, man!

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 27, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's probably because they don't have the rights to the two most memorable songs in it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Volt Catfish posted:

Dude, you mentioned Curtain Call. Dirge isn't in it for a reason, man!

Actually, that reminds me, how much of FFXIV's original soundtrack was salvaged when ARR went live? I vaguely recall one of the main selling points of the game was that they managed to get Uematsu to do the soundtrack for it. And then the game came out and was such a horrible pile of dogshit that they had to burn it all down and restart from scratch. But for all the horror stories I remember about 1.0, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about the music.

Basically, did any of the stuff Uematsu did for XIV make it into Curtain Call?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

W.T. Fits posted:

Actually, that reminds me, how much of FFXIV's original soundtrack was salvaged when ARR went live? I vaguely recall one of the main selling points of the game was that they managed to get Uematsu to do the soundtrack for it. And then the game came out and was such a horrible pile of dogshit that they had to burn it all down and restart from scratch. But for all the horror stories I remember about 1.0, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about the music.

Basically, did any of the stuff Uematsu did for XIV make it into Curtain Call?

Yeah, Uematsu did a lot of songs for 1.0, upwards of 50-60 tracks or something. Anything new, even in 1.0 though, was added by Masayoshi Soken and most of his stuff got carried over to 2.0 while most of the Uematsu stuff was left behind, at least to start; probably because Soken is the main composer now.

They have slowly been re-adding the Uematsu stuff as time goes on. Some stuff hasn't been added and probably won't be; the city and region themes have all been redone by Soken so who knows if the old Uematsu versions will ever show up. A fair number of the boss themes have been used in 4-man dungeon bosses since 2.2 or so, and pretty much everything Soken wrote in 1.0, like a lot of the Empire themes or the Primal themes is all in there. Most notably, the two big last-boss themes, Tempest and Rise of the White Raven got re-added for the final fight of the current endgame raid, which is Uematsu and Soken respectively (both tracks are pretty great).

Their current strategy for new updates has been to split new music between a few new pieces that Soken composes, and a few old Uematsu pieces that get repurposed. I'm assuming they're doing it this way so Soken can keep up with the pace of updates, so it works alright.

If you're jonesing for some Uematsu stuff, he most recently did all the music for Terra Battle and it's floating around the internet/youtube. It's not his best work but it's pretty good.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm playing Final Fantasy 4 on steam and the final boss is impossible, he keeps wiping me out with big bang in like one shot. What do

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Defend ability is often overlooked, but is effective against Big Bang.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Doesn't Zeromus just spam Big Bang until he has low HP, or did they change that in the remake?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I just played an international VS match in CC because nobody was on domestically, got someone with 9999 battle rank who chose final battle and crit everything but 5 or 6 notes on ultimate with EX bursts on

these people exist

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

fronz posted:

I just played an international VS match in CC because nobody was on domestically, got someone with 9999 battle rank who chose final battle and crit everything but 5 or 6 notes on ultimate with EX bursts on

these people exist

I've seen a couple of Japanese guys with 9999, but they're pretty rare. I guess they disconnect before losing and avoid ever losing any rating that way or something?

In any case you always get to choose whether or not you go against someone so it's no big deal.

E: Also why would you do Ultimates with bursts on in the first place?

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 28, 2014

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just saw this interesting comparison between the Japanese and English version of Squall's dialogue in FFVIII (it's from August so it might have been already posted though)

http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart

It seems like the translation made Squall into even more of an rear end in a top hat than he already was for no good reason.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Amppelix posted:

It seems like the translation made Squall into even more of an rear end in a top hat than he already was for no good reason.

Translations tend to do this and I have no idea why, it's like some weird trap that a lot of translators fall into. Not even just video games, Tintin in the Congo's English version, for example, does this too, basically inventing verbal dickery out of whole cloth that wasn't there at all in the original French.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I just saw this interesting comparison between the Japanese and English version of Squall's dialogue in FFVIII (it's from August so it might have been already posted though)

http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart

I'm fairly sure the Japanese version gave more insight into Ultimecia's motives and background too, through Edea at the speech she does in Galbadia in disk 1. In English, she just sounds like a generic crazy person who's doing it because she's evil.

Translations for Square games didn't really become good until around Final Fantasy 9, sadly and it was only because of the hell the translators went through for localizing Xenogears that it got changed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm fairly sure the Japanese version gave more insight into Ultimecia's motives and background too, through Edea at the speech she does in Galbadia in disk 1. In English, she just sounds like a generic crazy person who's doing it because she's evil.

Translations for Square games didn't really become good until around Final Fantasy 9, sadly and it was only because of the hell the translators went through for localizing Xenogears that it got changed.

Yeah, there are major changes to Edea's speech which much better foreshadowed Time Compression and such in the original.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What's this about Xenogears? Never heard anything odd about that translation before.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kanfy posted:

E: Also why would you do Ultimates with bursts on in the first place?

Logic suggests that playing something like Force Your Way on Ultimate with Bursts is havoc enough for both players that it slightly evens out the playing field.

Usually.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kulkasha posted:

What's this about Xenogears? Never heard anything odd about that translation before.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/interview.shtml

It's talked about here. After Xenogears, Square actually bothered to get editors and let the localization team work with the developers instead of just dumping it on their lap and saying "have fun".

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've been playing through VIII over the past week, and am almost to the end of disc 3, just finishing up side poo poo, and I'm still not very sure what Ultimecia's motives are. What Lunar Tear has to do with anything. Why or how exactly Rinoa and Squall fell in love (it went from Squall going from "Whatever" to "I've gotta save her no matter what!").

The translation thing does make a little more sense as to why he has friends, cause he's a total asshat until the mid of disc three. Especially to Quistis, he is such a dick to her at the beginning of the game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kulkasha posted:

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/interview.shtml

quote:

That said, I can tell you which project was the hardest going for me personally. It was "Xenogears." The game was ambitious even for Japan. It was the first major title I had to manage and translate myself. Because of its controversial content and the linguistic and conceptual challenges it presented, the original translators assigned to it quit or asked to be assigned to other titles. When it went over schedule, I ended up having to not only direct, but translate and program as well. (Heck, I even burned the master disks!) The team basically left it in my hands as they went on to their next game. I worked around the clock, sleeping in the office for months to bring it to a shippable state. (At the same time, I had trouble with my own religion when the elders heard about the content of the Japanese version.) As a translator, I wanted to respect the game's creators and keep the content as close as possible to the original. Even the non-controversial parts were hard to translate-- all those scientific concepts and philosophies. I look back and wonder how we ever finished it. I guess my naivety at the time was a blessing in disguise. If I knew then what I know now, it would have been a totally different game.

At the same time, Xenogears was a catalyst for changes as it showed what changes were needed. After that, we added assistants and editors to improve the quality. It was also the first game where the localization members sat in with the development team and worked with them. After that, I thought the Xenogears team would consider me a failure and wouldn't want to work with me again. Instead, it seems I gained their respect, as they asked me back for both Chrono Cross and FFXI, and they have been more cooperative and enthusiastic with each project we localize.

I found this interview when looking up stuff about Chrono Cross, which I recently just beat for the first time. Honeywood sounds like an awesome guy, even working with Kato to help clarify things in Cross' translation.

But yeah, I can imagine how confusing Xenogears must be to translate. That poor, poor man.

e: Ninja'd.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

The White Dragon posted:

Doesn't Zeromus just spam Big Bang until he has low HP, or did they change that in the remake?

In the DS/Steam version, he changes to his 2nd phase at 90000 HP, at which point he starts dropping Flare on you, and at 30k he switches to the Meteor phase but supplements it with Whirl.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Leper Residue posted:

Why or how exactly Rinoa and Squall fell in love (it went from Squall going from "Whatever" to "I've gotta save her no matter what!").

Stockholm Syndrome is a hell of a drug.

It's weird because the 'love story' in VIII reminds me a lot of the same subplot in Tales of Graces, with the rest of the party not-so-subtly egging them kids to get together. Except that game does it better (it's still amazing how oblivious both characters are in each game though).

As for Ultimecia's motives, I remember years ago there was a theory that because of the events of VIII, there was persecution of sorceresses in the future, which led to a young sorceress being so afraid of people being afraid that she would become Ultimecia that she went, 'screw you all, if you want me to be Ultimecia, I'LL BE ULTIMECIA'.

Cue continuous time loop.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

I've been playing through VIII over the past week, and am almost to the end of disc 3, just finishing up side poo poo, and I'm still not very sure what Ultimecia's motives are. What Lunar Tear has to do with anything. Why or how exactly Rinoa and Squall fell in love (it went from Squall going from "Whatever" to "I've gotta save her no matter what!").

The translation thing does make a little more sense as to why he has friends, cause he's a total asshat until the mid of disc three. Especially to Quistis, he is such a dick to her at the beginning of the game.

Basically in the future, it's suggested that Witches/Sorceresses are persecuted against by SeeD and Ultimecia is just some poor girl who snapped from it all and decides to defy fate by compressing time so she could live at any moment she chooses, with the power of all Witches/Sorceresses within her.

It's still dumb as hell but at least it provides some context for her actions.

As for the Lunar Tear, that's just a naturally occurring phenomenon isn't it? Lunatic Pandora just kind of speeds up the process and was used as a weapon against Trabia when Adel was running Esthar.

Squall and Rinoa's romance makes a little more sense in Japanese where he supposedly does always like her but is too meek to act on it but it's still not very well handled.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

univbee posted:

Translations tend to do this and I have no idea why, it's like some weird trap that a lot of translators fall into. Not even just video games, Tintin in the Congo's English version, for example, does this too, basically inventing verbal dickery out of whole cloth that wasn't there at all in the original French.

Depends on the translator, honestly. It's an art, more than a science. Sometimes it's for a better flow, other times it may be trying to translate the sentiment and intent rather than the literal words, there's endless reasons, and rationales. Of course, there's always putting it down to bad translation. :shobon:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

One thing I noticed on my last playthrough of VIII is that Squall has a surprising amount of dialogue options when compared to other FF protagonists. The fact is, Squall is as much an rear end in a top hat as you want him to be. There's several instances when you can make him be nicer or warmer. The one that comes to mind is, I sent Rinoa to the Missile Base, so when she and Squall were reunited and she says she missed him, you have a choice of him replying with "I missed you too" "Why?" and something else. I obviously chose "I missed you too" because I'm a nice guy.

Squall is rude and blunt, especially at the beginning, but even Cloud was that way if you remember his interactions with Barret in the first reactor where he's like "planet is dying? Whatevs, give me my money." While the stick is still up their asses, especially Squall's, they do noticably mellow after a while, even if you wouldn't call them nice.

As for Ultimecia, I don't blame the translation for this. She was a bad character and a terrible villain and nothing could have saved her.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

One thing I noticed on my last playthrough of VIII is that Squall has a surprising amount of dialogue options when compared to other FF protagonists. The fact is, Squall is as much an rear end in a top hat as you want him to be. There's several instances when you can make him be nicer or warmer. The one that comes to mind is, I sent Rinoa to the Missile Base, so when she and Squall were reunited and she says she missed him, you have a choice of him replying with "I missed you too" "Why?" and something else. I obviously chose "I missed you too" because I'm a nice guy.

Squall is rude and blunt, especially at the beginning, but even Cloud was that way if you remember his interactions with Barret in the first reactor where he's like "planet is dying? Whatevs, give me my money." While the stick is still up their asses, especially Squall's, they do noticably mellow after a while, even if you wouldn't call them nice.

As for Ultimecia, I don't blame the translation for this. She was a bad character and a terrible villain and nothing could have saved her.

Yeah but in Cloud's case, he was just trying too hard to be what his childish mind thought was being a badass, unaware he came across as a complete tool instead.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah but in Cloud's case, he was just trying too hard to be what his childish mind thought was being a badass, unaware he came across as a complete tool instead.

Yeah difference between Squall being an rear end and Cloud being an rear end is one of them has brain damage and a lot of problems due to being an experiment specimen of the worst dude in the setting and Squall's just a dumb kid.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, there's a significant difference between Cloud at the start (where he is trying and failing to be some kind of crazy badass mix of Sephiroth and Zack), the Cloud who is the actual guy and the guy Cloud ends up as. Squall just is like the most teenager FF protagonist ever.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ImpAtom posted:

Squall just is like the most teenager FF protagonist ever.

Which is one of VIII's great successes.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Leper Residue posted:

Why or how exactly Rinoa and Squall fell in love (it went from Squall going from "Whatever" to "I've gotta save her no matter what!").

I just played through this game not too long ago and iirc Rinoa initially had a thing for Seifer, who may as well be a worse Squall in that he's actively a giant poo poo instead of a passive whine ball. Then she thought he died on the announcement of him being executed and is like "whelp can't love a dead person! :saddowns:" Then Squall saved her stupid loving rear end when she tried to get Edea to wear the bracelet (stupid as gently caress but so is everyone else in FFVIII) and she instantly fell in love with him.

Maybe Squall always kind of liked Rinoa because she was kind of a foil to Squall's attitude, since she is a much more lively, less of a dick person but comes off as actively childish (like, she's acting childish and knows it) rather than the awkward "I'm a BADASS" Squall. Rinoa probably reminded him somewhat of Ellone maybe? There really aren't any indicators throughout the game that Squall likes Rinoa the same way she likes him. Maybe he realizes he took her for granted when she goes into the magic coma? edit: I actually think it's really the latter, the game made a whole loving huge deal about the magic coma thing and Squall trying to help her.

Whoever wrote FFVIII didn't really add enough nuance to what was supposed to be a focused love story, huh...

How Rude fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 28, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Which is one of VIII's great successes.
With the other successes including having the best ost in the series, and that creepy image of Squall with a hole for face.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

How Rude posted:

Maybe Squall always kind of liked Rinoa because she was kind of a foil to Squall's attitude, since she is a much more lively, less of a dick person but comes off as actively childish (like, she's acting childish and knows it) rather than the awkward "I'm a BADASS" Squall.

So, if it was Selphie that went into a coma...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My bad for not clarifying why I compared Cloud and Squall. Cloud is a much better character than Squall - he is in fact my favorite FF protagonist along with Ashe. I was just comparing Cloud and Squall because of first impressions. I think a lot of people only remember stuff like Squall telling Quistis to go talk to a wall and very little else. Like I said before, it's a long time before he becomes anything resembling "nice" but he becomes much less harsh later on. His romance with Rinoa was awful and badly written of course but I just never got the impression Squall was half the rear end in a top hat some people make him out to be.

This sums up Squall in my opinion:
Irvine: "They'll be fine. I'm sure they can get outta there when the time comes."

Rinoa: "You don't know for sure. Squall might say 'but no one has ordered me to escape', and end up staying in there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What sums up Squall for you is his girlfriend making fun of him while he isn't even on-screen? :v:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
One of the things I do like about Squall and his interaction with other characters is he'll have this long internal monologue where he just sort of stares in the distance and the other characters are like "Uh, we have no idea what you're thinking dude. You actually have to say stuff." And he just replies with "Whatever. It doesn't matter, let us just go and fight."

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Endorph posted:

What sums up Squall for you is his girlfriend making fun of him while he isn't even on-screen? :v:

Everyone makes fun of Squall. There are no exceptions, whether it be Quistis, Selphie, Zell, Rinoa, etc.

Huh maybe part of Squall being so reclusive is he hates everyone around him for being loud, annoying idiots, which is pretty much his whole party throughout the game. I'd be pretty grumpy if I had Zell and Selphie constantly squealing and hopping around like dumbfucks.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Noctis is the best Final Fantasy protagonist, because everyone else are protagonists from the worst game in the series.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The only way to win in this battle is to not really exist yet then? Hn, Metal Gearrrr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

The original Japanese release didn't have jumping. But it did have online multiplayer.

..yeah.

....whaaaattttt

loving online multiplayer? I have never ever even heard of this. For Christ's sake.

On the topic of VIII, should I replay it? Last time I touched it was when I was 14 or something, even though VII and IX are yearly replays for me. I know the gamepaly is pretty broen and the story is what it is, but are there any redeeming qualities?