Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Grim posted:

I didn't think they would actually run the VIP tournaments this month but apparently they start tomorrow

VIP Constructed
Players: 16 minimum – 128 maximum
Format: 4 rounds of Swiss
Entry fee: VIP ticket + 500 plat
Prizes:
4 wins: 10 packs / 2 Xentoth’s Inquisitor AA / 2 Menacing Gralk AA / 30,000 gold
3 wins: 6 packs / 1 Xentoth’s Inquisitor AA / 1 Menacing Gralk AA / 15,000 gold
2 wins: 3 packs / 1 Xentoth’s Inquisitor AA / 1 Menacing Gralk AA / 10,000 gold
1 win: 2 packs / 5,000 gold
0 wins: 1 pack / 5,000 gold

I've got no constructed chops. I think I'll just hold my Kickstarter VIP ticket for when it's sealed. They were going to alternate each month, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

Rylek posted:

Do you guys have any cool decks you've been running?

I've been tinkering with a deck I call Patience. It's a mono wild deck.

My idea was: maximize the value of every single card. Each card should be a bomb, if given enough time. The only cards in the deck that are not bombs directly give me more time. Here's the deck so far -

4x Howling Brave
4x Giant Caterpillar
4x Crash of Beasts
4x Wild root Dancer
4x Nature reigns
4x Turbulence
4x Plant garden
4x Verdant Wyldeboar
2x Wild aura
2x Pact of life
24x Wild shard

So once this deck gets going even resources are amazing to draw. The longer you play, the more valuable your top-decking becomes, until eventually almost anything you draw will win. So have Patience! :)

I designed the deck around these questions:

How to deal with board clear?
Crash of beasts is efficient the very first time you use it. A 3/3 crush is no laughing matter. As the game goes on, it just gets more powerful. If they play extinction, the high value of your top-decks helps you get back into the game fast. Plant Garden also sits there, waiting, giving you hp, and so will make an opponent wait on using extinction (they'll want to kill the plant.) This buys you time. Have patience.

Out of all of the cards, only Howling Brave is easy to kill with soft removal. Caterpillar becomes 0/4 the turn after it's put out, so the window of opportunity is small. Otherwise, it take two burns, two heat waves, or many sorrows to budge the lineup.

"But wild root dancer is easy to remove as well!" Well, play him when you already have a resource you can play. You can add +2/+2 before they have a chance to burn him out. Using a resource does not pass priority!

The wyldeboar is not open to control until it is an 8/8, as long as you play it at an appropriate time.

How to deal with soul marble and solitary exile?
Nature's reign can clear both. I've won so many confrontations this way. They exile my rhino away and attack. After they attack, I free the rhino and kill whatever troop they have out.

How to deal with orc aggro?
Howling brave is an excellent chump blocker. Catepillar becomes 0/4 on turn 2 if you also have a howling brave. 0/4 will block most orc troops.

Flyers are also annoying, so I put in turbulence. I'd probably sideboard one or two of them, depending on who I am up against.

I'll make more commentary on this later. But I've had good success with this deck, even against tier 2 and tier 1 decks. I'm still tweaking parts of it (wild aura is a new experiment. Honeycaps are on my list too.)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Lightreaper are you going to stream VIP constructed? If so do you know which one you plan on playing in?

I thought they said these tickets would expire, but mine is purple and doesn't have an expire date so I'm also just going to hopefully save them for sealed.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Really excited for this. Probably going to run my More Successful But Less Fun flying sapphire soft lock deck. I've got an absurd win rate with it, but I definitely prefer wild ruby aggro. I remember putting it together back in early beta and then some guy won a tournament with it and I saw our differences in deck lists and I was like oh, those are good ideas. I'll take those.

Haven't put it in a tourny yet, so that should be fun.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Christ, I just sold some packs for 158p - I have a ton more but I kinda wanted to just sit on them for guild stuff / later times...

Yea I think I will keep my non-expiring VIP tickets for sealed so that I can get some more Set 2 value out of them (hopefully some time before the heat death of the universe!), but also because playing / playing against Blood Diamond is boring

Also thats a cool looking deck Afgad, I always thought Plant Garden needed to get more love but I didn't really consider that it might force an opponent to hold back an Extinction!

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Lightreaper are you going to stream VIP constructed? If so do you know which one you plan on playing in?

I thought they said these tickets would expire, but mine is purple and doesn't have an expire date so I'm also just going to hopefully save them for sealed.
I'll almost definitely be streaming the one at noon today, and depending how many tickets I have (not sure yet) I'll be streaming more over the weekend. I'll post in the thread.

Afgad posted:

My idea was: maximize the value of every single card. Each card should be a bomb, if given enough time. The only cards in the deck that are not bombs directly give me more time. Here's the deck so far -

*snip*

I really like this concept, and I'm very tempted to run it for today's VIP tournament on stream (I'll make sure to give credit!), I assume you use Running Deer?

---

As for alternative deck concepts, I have a 0 troop ruby/blood control deck that's fun in proving grounds though it's effectiveness is dubious, I'll post a list when I'm at home.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

LightReaper posted:

I really like this concept, and I'm very tempted to run it for today's VIP tournament on stream (I'll make sure to give credit!), I assume you use Running Deer?

Thanks guys! I am glad I finally stumbled on a deck idea that is getting some traction. You can of course stream with it, I'd be honored! I'm probably going to enter it, myself.

Yeah I use Running Deer.

Here are some things I'm considering (definitely need more practice against top-tier decks).

Ditch wild aura. It's mostly there because sometimes you just gotta pump a howling brave or a fellow dancer instead of the preferable rhino. Or you get lucky and draw that 8/8 boar, but they have 10 million 1/1 robots. But I am not sure it is pulling its weight, and I am considering putting in +1 pact of life instead, or perhaps two Honeycaps. Late game (after extinction) laying down a 5/5 honeycap is scary. Yet another card that only gets stronger as the game goes on.

Lower the number of howling braves. Right now, they mostly just help against shard screw, and they also let caterpillar turn into a cocoon on turn 2 instead of turn 3. But after that opening hand, they're dead weight. So it goes somewhat against the theme of the deck. I'm thinking of reducing them to 3 and either adding a honeycap or another pact of life.

Add survival of the fittest. I held back on this because if they continuously wipe your board, this is dead weight in your hand.

So maybe I'd drop wild auras, drop one howling brave, and have 2 honeycaps and a pact of life instead.

Some tips on playing it:

Don't play your resources. Hold those suckers in your hand unless you need them. The highest cost card in your deck is 4, so if you have 3 resources, just stop playing them. Ditto if you have howling braves out. Play fewer resources. Why? Because you want to wait for pact of life or wild root dancers before playing them. There is nothing quite like late game top-decking a dancer and having 3 shards in hand. Also helps protect against corpse flies. So many corpse flies.

Beware countermagic Probably doesn't need to be said, but I've missed a 3 resource sapphire holding back a CM too many times. It really ruins your day, let me tell you. Especially if used on crash of beasts.

I've found playing Crash of Beasts > Plant Garden if you could play both. It's best to hang on to the plant garden if your resources could go elsewhere. If you have more than one garden out, it doubles the healing! (sort of, it's kind of buggy.)

Don't make even trades early. Just take the damage, there is so much healing that usually it doesn't matter.

I've only played in proving grounds. Ideas on side-boards:

Wind of change: gently caress soul marble, solitary confinement, and zombie plague. Nature's reign may not be enough.
Honeycaps: If they're not running flyers, could swap in for turbulence. Also, honeycaps vs bouncing -> :troll:
Survival of the fittest: If they aren't running heavy removal, it's a solid removal card.

(How many side-boards are allowed, anyway? I don't even know.)

Afgad fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 26, 2014

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Afgad posted:

(How many side-boards are allowed, anyway? I don't even know.)

15 cards, you can swap out as many as you want between games

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

I'm almost certainly removing the 2 wild auras, then moving one each of turbulence/nature reigns to the sideboard to bring in Moon'ariu Sensei. Just makes too much sense in a deck like this with wyldeboar & crash of beasts to have 4 cyclers.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Afgad posted:

4x Howling Brave
4x Giant Caterpillar
4x Crash of Beasts
4x Wild root Dancer
4x Nature reigns
4x Turbulence
4x Plant garden
4x Verdant Wyldeboar
2x Wild aura
2x Pact of life
24x Wild shard

So once this deck gets going even resources are amazing to draw. The longer you play, the more valuable your top-decking becomes, until eventually almost anything you draw will win. So have Patience! :)

I designed the deck around these questions:

How to deal with board clear?
Crash of beasts is efficient the very first time you use it. A 3/3 crush is no laughing matter. As the game goes on, it just gets more powerful. If they play extinction, the high value of your top-decks helps you get back into the game fast. Plant Garden also sits there, waiting, giving you hp, and so will make an opponent wait on using extinction (they'll want to kill the plant.) This buys you time. Have patience.

Out of all of the cards, only Howling Brave is easy to kill with soft removal. Caterpillar becomes 0/4 the turn after it's put out, so the window of opportunity is small. Otherwise, it take two burns, two heat waves, or many sorrows to budge the lineup.

"But wild root dancer is easy to remove as well!" Well, play him when you already have a resource you can play. You can add +2/+2 before they have a chance to burn him out. Using a resource does not pass priority!

The wyldeboar is not open to control until it is an 8/8, as long as you play it at an appropriate time.

How to deal with soul marble and solitary exile?
Nature's reign can clear both. I've won so many confrontations this way. They exile my rhino away and attack. After they attack, I free the rhino and kill whatever troop they have out.

How to deal with orc aggro?
Howling brave is an excellent chump blocker. Catepillar becomes 0/4 on turn 2 if you also have a howling brave. 0/4 will block most orc troops.

Flyers are also annoying, so I put in turbulence. I'd probably sideboard one or two of them, depending on who I am up against.

I'll make more commentary on this later. But I've had good success with this deck, even against tier 2 and tier 1 decks. I'm still tweaking parts of it (wild aura is a new experiment. Honeycaps are on my list too.)

I'm a big fan of mono Wild, and you use some not commonly used cards- Good Job! Definitely going to make a version of this based on what cards I have in my collection and try it out. Man, I can't wait until they have more guild functionality.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Looks like a fun deck, but I'd worry about having no troop kill in there. Survival of the Fittest or some Crazed Squirrels would probably be a good idea.

I'd recommend everyone read this Hextechs article by Karn where he discusses preparation for tournaments, and his thoughts on the WD deck similar to this that he ran. You might get some ideas.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Pardon the doublepost again, but on Tuesday, the new patch is dropping! Including:

The New UI!
Trading!
A better phase-passing system!
A new, improved, clever AI!

Get hype, kids.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Go RV! posted:

Pardon the doublepost again, but on Tuesday, the new patch is dropping! Including:

The New UI!
Trading!

Get hype, kids.

Awesome stuff. I'm especially happy to see the new phase skips.

About to jump into my first VIP tourney, hopefully I can manage at least 2 wins.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Go RV! posted:

The New UI!
Trading!

Get hype, kids.
The phase passing hotkeys are quite welcome. I really miss the MTGO equivalents.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Welp, just had a teeth-grindingly frustrating match 1 in the VIP tournament. Played against BD control which is fine, but he had god-hands both games. Answer for everything I played, frequently before I could possibly play them, while I was flooded in game 1 and mana screwed in game 2.

Oh well, at least I'm in the easier bracket now. I never thought I'd go 4-0.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Zurai posted:

Welp, just had a teeth-grindingly frustrating match 1 in the VIP tournament. Played against BD control which is fine, but he had god-hands both games. Answer for everything I played, frequently before I could possibly play them, while I was flooded in game 1 and mana screwed in game 2.

Oh well, at least I'm in the easier bracket now. I never thought I'd go 4-0.

I decided to do a BD control and got super lucky on my game 1 and got a free angel on draw 3. Barely lost my game 2, but then my opponent mana starved on game 3. Sounds pretty similar. I'll take it! If I can manage one more win I'll be super happy.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Match 2: Opponent played 7 Gralks and a Mastery of Time over 2 games. Yeah, that was fun.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Zurai posted:

Match 2: Opponent played 7 Gralks and a Mastery of Time over 2 games. Yeah, that was fun.

My Match two I got destroyed in a karmic fashion. My opponent drew Angel on 2nd draw.

Oh well, two more chances!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Finally got my first two game wins and my first match win. 2-0'd DeckOfManyThings's B/S control deck. I got lucky and had Soul Marble and a variety of mana and troops in my opening hand both games, and his deck was slow enough that I could just get Soul Armaments up before committing any forces.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm 1-2 as well. Maybe we'll meet up this next round.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Whew. Won my last match 2-0 again, this time against a mono-blood control deck. Again, Soul Marble won the day, though Plant Garden did a poo poo-ton of work too. The last game I drew and either played or was forced to discard 3 Gardens and 3 Marbles while my opponent Zombie Plagued 6 of my 8 1/1s.

EDIT: For the record, I went with the Soul Garden deck discussed on HexTCGPro recently with a couple minor tweaks (I think, I actually put it together a week or so ago). All 4 of the decks I played against were control or tempo control decks, 3 of them were at least partly blood and 3 of them were at least partly sapphire. In fact, I didn't see any ruby or wild (aside from my own deck).

Zurai fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 27, 2014

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Got wrecked by B/D control. I guess it serves me right for playing a gimmicky combo deck.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Squeaked out my 2nd match win on the final game vs a gorefeast deck. Hurray!

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
What are some good decks to run these days that don't require Vamp kings. I have 3 angels, but I seem to be low on a lot of the money rares. I don't mind some investment, but I don't want to drop a lot of money for free constructed tourneys when I prefer drafting, but I'd like some fun decks to mess around with when I'm short on time for a tourney or the like.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welp, today's 11 AM VIP tournament didn't bother to fire, and that was the only one I had a chance to play in this weekend due to my schedule. Grump, grump, grump. No AA Gralk for me.

At *some point* I'd really like to at least get a chance to try my favorite deck to date in an organized swiss constructed tournament, but every time I show up for one some bug happens and it cancels out.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Is B/D Control still considered the "best" deck? I've been out of the game for a while and I want a decent deck for the VIP tourney. Anyone have a recent list?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly, of the decks I played against yesterday (bog-standard B/D control, mono-S tempo, B/S control, and mono-B control), I had the hardest time with the mono-sapphire deck. I lost to the B/D control deck too, but that was as much me getting horrible draws as anything else. The sapphire deck just plain spanked me. That deck is basically 4 of: Ancestor's Chosen, Time Ripple, Buccaneer, Peek, Oracle's Song, Menacing Gralk, Mastery of Time, Mimic, Countermagic. I don't even think I saw any Mirror Knights. The basic line of play is to just disrupt your opponent's play until you can chain-cast Menacing Gralks and Masteries of Time with a few fliers on the board and simply not let your opponent play the game.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

How long did it take to complete a VIP tourney?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

About 4 hours. My first game started at 10:05 PM and the tournament officially ended at like 2:20.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 27, 2014

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Managed to go 3-1 on this afternoon's VIP. That is 2 of each AA now. Hopefully I can get two more 2 or more win tourney's for next month's sealed and finish out the playset.

Rylek posted:

How long did it take to complete a VIP tourney?

Yeah, it seems to be pretty consistently at about 4 hours. My tourney has like two games still in progress at the moment and we are at 2 minutes shy of 4 hours.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Playing Blood Control. My first round of the VIP tournament, I get the mirror, which is already not great. I get an early start in G1, but he draws ALL FOUR of his Life Siphons, and finally gets me with his last one. Second game, he Life Siphons himself to 26 or so, and Comet Strikes. He then uses Kranok to draw into a Pact of Pain, and uses his huge life and mana to get a Siphon. I don't draw a single Siphon either game. I drew one Pact, but I was already low life, and couldn't do anything with it.

:negative:

Deck, don't do this to me man.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Draft tip; 10 Thunderbirds is legit as hell

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think I've ever even seen 10 of any single card in a draft. I have gotten 5 or 6 ragebirds before (and lost to a round 1 match vs Zared with multiple Sorrows).

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Grim posted:

Draft tip; 10 Thunderbirds is legit as hell

:aaaaa: I dont understand who let all those pass?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Ha ha holy poo poo, those thunderbirds.

Go RV! posted:

Playing Blood Control. My first round of the VIP tournament, I get the mirror, which is already not great. I get an early start in G1, but he draws ALL FOUR of his Life Siphons, and finally gets me with his last one. Second game, he Life Siphons himself to 26 or so, and Comet Strikes. He then uses Kranok to draw into a Pact of Pain, and uses his huge life and mana to get a Siphon. I don't draw a single Siphon either game. I drew one Pact, but I was already low life, and couldn't do anything with it.

:negative:

Deck, don't do this to me man.

I think there might be something goofy with the matchmaker. I played this guy's friend second round, running the exact same deck. Meanwhile, the guy from the first round got paired with the guy the other guy lost to. Weird poo poo.

Anyway, I won this one cause I drew Siphons, so everything is fine!

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zurai posted:

I don't think I've ever even seen 10 of any single card in a draft. I have gotten 5 or 6 ragebirds before (and lost to a round 1 match vs Zared with multiple Sorrows).

Yea the only reason this went undefeated is that I didn't come up against anyone playing Blood; Sorrow would have wrecked my day

But yea I am looking forward to card/platinum/etc trading finally being added next week! hextcgbrowser lets you share your collection / wishlist like so -> http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/collection=15031&pin=5730 <- if there is anything you guys are looking for specifically that could be pretty handy now (shameless wishlist linking here)

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Gonna hopefully crush this VIP Constructed, come chill out! http://twitch.tv/lightreaper

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

LightReaper posted:

Gonna hopefully crush this VIP Constructed, come chill out! http://twitch.tv/lightreaper

:emo: :emo:

I feel like if I had more time I might have won that last game. Oh well, good games LightReaper. Crazy I got you in the first round.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

LightReaper posted:

More like get a free win round 2 and watch LR suck at DKC2.

I mean that in the best possible way LR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Mini-trip report. I ran the same mono-blood I did last time, except I took the idea from Sereaphim (I butchered this name, I'm sorry), who split the win at the Challenge Series, and took removed the 4x Corrupt Harvesters for 2 Surge Mechanisms and 2 more Life Siphons maindeck. What a good call. I have things to do with my spare resources, and the deck feels even better now for it.

Saturday night VIP:
G1: Lost 0-2 to a mirror match, except he was running Comet Strike to get the Life Siphon win, and Kranok to draw him his cards post-Comet. I didn't draw a single Siphon (he drew ALL FOUR first game) and I couldn't do poo poo.
G2: I played the guy who made the previous guy's deck. This time, I actually drew Life Siphons and blew him out. He was drinking, and made some reaaaally bad play mistakes. (He Cometed while I had Pact on the chain :v: )
G3/G4: I don't remember much about these, except they were both standard Gore Feast, and I won both.
3-1

Sunday Afternoon VIP:
G1: I nearly get blown out by mono-Wild Shin'hare. Holy poo poo. He came on strong in all his matches, and he steamrolled me G1. Game 3, I fended off 7 Rhinos on the board at once without an Extinction. I just barely make it through with the win. 2-1
G2: Blood Diamond. I get stuck on 3 most of the game and he rolls me G1. G2 is a hell of a match of combating Urunaazes and Inquisitors. I eventually slip through, but I get AWFUL hands, I mulligan to 4 and die. 1-2
G3: Diamond Sapphire Soul Marble. He gets Angels on turn 3-4 both games, in addition to dropping Soul Marble on turn 2 both games. gently caress this match. 0-2
G4: Ruby Wild Troll/Skarn: He never really gets anything on the board G1. G2, He gets a strong Troll/Skarn on turns 1/2, and has them swinging for 3 with Poca on his turn 4. I Inquisitor them down immediately, and he never recovers. 2-0.
2-2

• Locked thread