Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ümläüts üp ïn thïs bïtch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sometimes when I click on a thread I've read, it keeps reloading the thread and jumping to the start of the first unread post, preventing me from doing anything as it reloads before I can scroll down

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Sometimes when I click on a thread I've read, it keeps reloading the thread and jumping to the start of the first unread post, preventing me from doing anything as it reloads before I can scroll down

This is happening to me as well, and seems to be related to embedded YouTube videos.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Seems to be adding an extra quote close bbtag before the body of the quoted post. The GBS buttcoin thread is littered with them from several users though I don't appear to have the problem when I quote here.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Midjack posted:

Seems to be adding an extra quote close bbtag before the body of the quoted post. The GBS buttcoin thread is littered with them from several users though I don't appear to have the problem when I quote here.
Those are probably nested quotes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

anthonypants posted:

You're right, it appears to happen when they're quoting a nested quote.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Midjack posted:

anthonypants posted:

Yeah the forums in a normal browser does that too. Try quoting this post in a regular browser.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah the forums in a normal browser does that too. Try quoting this post in a regular browser.
[/quote]

Son of a bitch, I had never noticed this until just now.

Nevermind, folks, nothing to see here.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Well the app could on-the-fly patch the decrepit shitpile that is the Forums' BBcode parsing and resulting markup :can:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Came here to post this bug. Also seems that as I scroll down a page it keeps reloading as well.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's happening to me too. He said to fix the reloading, disabled YouTube embedding.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Came here to post this bug. Also seems that as I scroll down a page it keeps reloading as well.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

This is happening to me as well, and seems to be related to embedded YouTube videos.

It is. What versions of Android are you on, and maybe if you can find out, which version of chrome have you installed?

pokeyman posted:

Well the app could on-the-fly patch the decrepit shitpile that is the Forums' BBcode parsing and resulting markup :can:

But parsing should look as much as in a regular browser as possible :can:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's happening to me too. He said to fix the reloading, disabled YouTube embedding.

i did but if there's youtubes on the page it jumps around annoyingly until they are all loaded

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Sereri posted:

It is. What versions of Android are you on, and maybe if you can find out, which version of chrome have you installed?

Android 4.4.2, Chrome version 37.0.2062.117

e: on a Galaxy S5, if that matters.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I'm also 4.4.2 with Chrome being 37.0.2062.117 but on an S4.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm also 4.4.2 with Chrome being 37.0.2062.117 but on an S3.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Same versions as above few posters, Galaxy s3 for reference. Post with video will keep reloading the embed over and over, which causes the issues scrolling.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
4.4.2 on a Note 2, Chrome 37.0.2062.117

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

4.4.2 on a Note 3, Chrome 37.0.2062.117

Glad I'm not the only one with YouTube issues.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Sarnsunged again!!

BRBPR
Jul 20, 2001

I'm on 4.4.4 Note 2, chrome not installed. I don't have the reload problem, but trying to play embedded YouTube I get audio, but no video.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just want to say, 2 years later or whatever, that this app is still awesome and still by far my most used app. Thank you so much for making it and maintaining it. Still wish I could buy you a beer.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Internet Explorer posted:

Just want to say, 2 years later or whatever, that this app is still awesome and still by far my most used app. Thank you so much for making it and maintaining it. Still wish I could buy you a beer.

Ditto. Long live That Weird App With a Frog.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

anthonypants posted:

Sarnsunged again!!

I'm guessing it's a 4.4.2 vs 4.4.4 thing

yotoc posted:

I'm on 4.4.4 Note 2, chrome not installed. I don't have the reload problem, but trying to play embedded YouTube I get audio, but no video.

Also codecs for some reason. Ain't video a beautiful thing.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Ravel posted:

I'm also 4.4.2 with Chrome being 37.0.2062.117 but on an S4.

Same. App is frustratingly unusable.

Separately, ever since I accidentally opened the Awful iPhone App thread this afternoon, Awful keeps reverting to that thread each time I open the app, even though it isn't bookmarked.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm either going to have to find a more interesting job or a new non-Samsung phone if this isn't fixed soon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ulvir posted:

Thank you, awful app guy, for letting us scandinavians write to eachother properly again! :smoobles:

Same, but a heavy metal fan. :black101:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Separately, ever since I accidentally opened the Awful iPhone App thread this afternoon, Awful keeps reverting to that thread each time I open the app, even though it isn't bookmarked.
Try mashing the back button a lot. Or just Force Kill it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Should've push the mojibake fix to the market and the YouTube thing to beta, but NOO I had to be lazy. I'll try to disable it by default for KitKat <4.4.4 later today or tomorrow.

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
Something strange going on with the app the last couple of days, it'll keep giving me the loading failed! error.

Could this be due the connection I'm using? (crappy Malaysian resort wifi).

Have to use the browser like an idiot. Tried clearing data, uninstalling and reinstalling, but no joy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There have been some general issues on the availability of SA depending on where you're located. it might be worth testing with a regular browser and posting your issue in the technical thread in qcs

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

spankmeister posted:

There have been some general issues on the availability of SA depending on where you're located. it might be worth testing with a regular browser and posting your issue in the technical thread in qcs

It's also sometimes blocked for "Adult content".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ryanbruce posted:

It's also sometimes blocked for "Adult content".

All users should be over 18 but no actual maturity is required.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
App is much more stable since last update. Thank you!!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

YouTube thing is still an issue. Is there a way to turn off embedding on the app without doing it on the full site?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Reverse Centaur posted:

YouTube thing is still an issue. Is there a way to turn off embedding on the app without doing it on the full site?

Settings -> posts -> embed videos

Sorry, haven't found time to automatically set this to false for 4.4 -> 4.4.3 yet

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A problem I've been having for a long time is that when a post has a code block with lines that are longer than the width of my screen you have to swipe it to read everything but when I do that it most of the time the normal side to side swipe action activates (i.e. back and forward).

If I'm really careful and do it in really short nudges it kinda works, sometimes. But usually it doesn't.

Am I doing something wrong or is code block scrolling just hosed?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Am I doing something wrong or is code block scrolling just hosed?
It's a long-standing bug related to the fact that left/right swiping pulls in the thread/forum index. The workaround is to scroll up/down very slightly first, and then left/right (without releasing the touch).

The fix for this is probably to have code blocks appear in an dialog, similar to how the Stack Overflow app handles them, but nobody has got round to it yet since it's fairly low priority.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Or set the code blocks to word-wrap: break-word if you want them wrapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kashmir
Jul 1, 2003
the guy
Just wanted to add the YouTube thing is really annoying. Also, what happened to the "go to page" option? Do you have to hit forward a million times to get to the end of a thread?