Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

^This. I love how they how after things I would have totally missed and I read the newspapers and internet news like every day. I hate beauty pageants too so any show bringing them down with actual facts is the poo poo.

Space sex geckos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I knew that there was an embargo, and I guess I just assumed it would go on indefinitely. I had no idea that it had to be constantly renewed, and all Obama would have to do is not sign something.

God knows why it's still going. The cold war's long dead, and even Fidel Castro is out of power. And we dropped the embargo against North Korea of all places.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I knew that there was an embargo, and I guess I just assumed it would go on indefinitely. I had no idea that it had to be constantly renewed, and all Obama would have to do is not sign something.

God knows why it's still going. The cold war's long dead, and even Fidel Castro is out of power. And we dropped the embargo against North Korea of all places.

Florida voters. They have a huge Cuban refuge population, and anything that shows any support towards the Cuban government could lose votes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MizPiz posted:

You guys are aware you're trying to explain misogyny to a pedophile, right?

That explains a lot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, the difference there is that Cuba just kind of... exists. Lifting the embargo does nothing but invite criticism from political enemies in key demographics for elections. It's a simple, humane thing to do, but because our system is senseless, it's not going to get done until it's somehow expedient.

North Korea, on the other hand, needs trade to continue existing for however long they can manage. Literally no one wants North Korea to fail. It'd be a nightmare scenario for the entire region. China couldn't handle the refugees, a united Korea is a pipe dream, the whole situation would be chaos. So you bet your rear end we lifted that embargo.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't care about the Miss America pageant, but I love me some exposition of fraudulent financial claims.

This show has the best researchers.

My wife is the head of fundraising at the nonprofit we both work at, and she's an absolute wizard at grant writing, so she particularly enjoyed that segment. She was able to call a lot of the tricks the Miss America pageant pulls before Oliver revealed them, which was kind of cool to witness. I'm really glad that Oliver highlighted other organizations that help women pay for college, and I hope that it spreads lots of awareness.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
John Oliver is doin' thangs

http://www.avclub.com/article/john-...eview:1:Default

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Well, that didn't take long.

John Oliver’s ratings have now surpassed Bill Maher’s

quote:

A major factor in Last Week Tonight’s success has been HBO’s strategy of posting the centerpiece segment from each week’s show in full on YouTube after the episode airs, generating huge amounts of media coverage and social media buzz for the show. The fact that Bill Maher is still making Sarah Palin jokes in 2014 probably doesn’t help.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm surprised 4 million people watch Bill Maher.

Must be people too old for Daily Show/John Oliver and too young for CNN/MSNBC.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even if it had bad ratings HBO would have been fools to pull the plug considering how influential the show already is. All those segments where he talks about actual policy makers and governments commenting on things he says.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I'm frankly shocked it didn't happen on its premiere.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm surprised 4 million people watch Bill Maher.

Must be people too old for Daily Show/John Oliver and too young for CNN/MSNBC.

I sometimes grit my teeth and watch it for the guests. I would love a better option for a panel format show if anyone knows one.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

This show has the best researchers.
It's like The Daily Show if somebody gave a poo poo.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I sometimes grit my teeth and watch it for the guests. I would love a better option for a panel format show if anyone knows one.
Larry Wilmore's show might have a panel. I'm surprised nobody has tried a weekly Tough Crowd knockoff in the last 10 years. It's a really good format as long as you don't burn it out.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

You should listen to The Daily Show podcast (without Jon Stewart). They had one of the head researchers on recently and he most certainly gives a poo poo.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

The difference is not being beholden to advertising partly. It must be awesome to joke about anything you want in a fake news format. I mean you can say whatever in standup but for some reason people pay attention to fake news.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Fragmented posted:

The difference is not being beholden to advertising partly. It must be awesome to joke about anything you want in a fake news format. I mean you can say whatever in standup but for some reason people pay attention to fake news.

I don't think that scaring off advertisers is as big of a concern as you seem to think it is. Sure, with a show like Top Gear, being beholden to advertisers (most of whom are in the automotive industry) would be a conflict of interest. TGUS proves that well enough. However, a satirical news show isn't saddled with the same narrow advertising sources. The Daily Show's audience is pretty much the wet dream of an ad agency: 18-35 year olds with disposable income. That kind of dampens any threats of "be nice to us or we'll pull our ads."

However, I'm kind of curious what you think John Oliver is doing that would be too objectionable for an ad-supported cable network, besides saying "gently caress" a few times. I'll admit that I'm a filthy poor without HBO, but the segments posted to Youtube suggest that most of his material is about general concepts rather than specific companies. No company is pulling its advertising because John Oliver did a segment about the wealth gap.

I don't think that John is better due to being on HBO, and suggesting so is kind of an insult to him and his staff. To me, he's better because he manages to be consistently funnier and more informative. Jon Stewart's biggest problem, as far as I'm concerned, is that he loves making GBS threads on news media too much. He prides himself less on informing the public, and more on making fun of cable news for misinforming them. After more than a decade, this has gotten stale, but he enjoys doing it too much to change it up.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 27, 2014

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah I think Last Week Tonight just has a broader scope, although maybe in ten years it'll have narrowed. It has to help that Oliver's been doing basically this exact thing on The Bugle for what, five years I think? And The Department before that. He might have been doing Comedy News longer than Stewart, actually.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

quote:

The fact that Bill Maher is still making Sarah Palin jokes in 2014 probably doesn’t help.

He was still doing Bush Jr. jokes the last time I checked.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

(Oliver) might have been doing Comedy News longer than Stewart, actually.
Stewart's been at it since 1998. I highly doubt it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, Oliver only got his major comedy start in 2001, and Political Animal was in '04.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It helps that John Oliver isn't just repeating all the latest news stories with a comedic spin, he focuses more on things.

I kind of miss the days of the daily show when they would occasionally bring up some goofy story from a small town somewhere about how they're trying to make a robot to tase hobos or something.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

Dude I did say "might," at ease there.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It helps that John Oliver isn't just repeating all the latest news stories with a comedic spin, he focuses more on things.

I kind of miss the days of the daily show when they would occasionally bring up some goofy story from a small town somewhere about how they're trying to make a robot to tase hobos or something.

Yeah I liked that story about the dumb town in one of the Carolinas iirc (please hold for JT Jag's irate specification of which Carolina) where the law was every drink at a bar had to be made with airline bottles. It's silly and stupid and mocking it on television might have spurred people to change the law, but it isn't this stomach-churning intractable evil thing like so much of what TDS now covers in its reporter at large segments.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 27, 2014

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

John Oliver just made the cover of Rolling Stone. Holy poo poo.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Yeah I liked that story about the dumb town in one of the Carolinas iirc (please hold for JT Jag's irate specification of which Carolina) where the law was every drink at a bar had to be made with airline bottles. It's silly and stupid and mocking it on television might have spurred people to change the law, but it isn't this stomach-churning intractable evil thing like so much of what TDS now covers in its reporter at large segments.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/c892kg/1-5-amendment

Samantha Bee has been there forever.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Billy the Mountain posted:

He's a regular Ariana Grande!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Didn't this guy let a whole bunch of Muslims die in riots?

Edit: HOLY poo poo! gently caress the Ferguson Police.

Best Montage yet!

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 29, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Billy the Mountain posted:

Wow, now he's up there with the real big names in comedy.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: How is Ayn Rand still a thing?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
When is this show available on HBOGo?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow posted:

When is this show available on HBOGo?

Usually around noon EST the following Monday.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Technogeek posted:

Usually around noon EST the following Monday.

wtf

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

It was a state statute in South Carolina and the law changed after Strom Thurmond died because he had enough pull with state legislators to keep a repeal from coming up for a vote. For a few years afterward they were still pouring double shots in drinks because most bartenders there had never lived anywhere else and had no clue how much was in a shot.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 29, 2014

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I came to quote one line: "Swallow the Yellow Dick's Load"

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Larry Wilmore's show might have a panel. I'm surprised nobody has tried a weekly Tough Crowd knockoff in the last 10 years. It's a really good format as long as you don't burn it out.

gently caress burning it out. I remember hating Tough Crowd half the time and loving it the other half. Now that I know the stand-up careers of the various people involved, I could probably watch all of them and love it. Especially if they brought Patrice back from the dead for it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

SlothfulCobra posted:

R.O.T.O.R. becoming a reality? Hell yeah, lovely local US police departments with R&D divisions!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
It seems to me they are running out of steam (I only watch the youtube segment because I dont enjoy the shorter bits that much) lately.

Their repeated claim that they were unable to find any more information about their subject than some intern can find in an hour with google makes me wish they stayed with subjects that people know little enough about to make them still look insightful. The segment about drones was literally one NBC report + some pakistani media + one C-SPAN interview mixed together with one of the better known drone-mishap videos to paint a pretty one-sided picture of drones.

The claim that it's irresponsible to not know the exact identities of the targets was somehow really scarry made laugh, because how stupid it is. This is a war and in a war you dont identify every last enemy combatant before you kill him, just imagine them doing that for Dresden, Hamburg, Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WW2. The same goes for the not 100% accurate body counts, it's not like the terrorists (or who ever was bombed) will send out a press release with the accurate number of dead, especially as terrorists kinda like the idea of being presumed dead. The last season of 24 did more to convey why drones might be questionable than this segment.

I really hope they go back to picking up topics that are not on the frontpage as often, because there the "lets google poo poo" method of reporting is not as obviouse.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Drones are not "war". In the american public mind they're thought of(perhaps wrongly) as assassinations. And it is goddamn disturbing to realize the government has NO idea who they are killing.

But I agree that as enjoyable as John Oliver was, the research was pretty thin. I knew more about the issue just by occasionally following blogs like Andrew Sullivan's - not quite sure why they didn't attack the issue from a different angle.

It also felt a little repetitive to have a "We couldn't find any information!" a week after the miss america segment.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

The segment about drones was literally one NBC report + some pakistani media + one C-SPAN interview mixed together with one of the better known drone-mishap videos to paint a pretty one-sided picture of drones.

The claim that it's irresponsible to not know the exact identities of the targets was somehow really scarry made laugh, because how stupid it is. This is a war and in a war you dont identify every last enemy combatant before you kill him, just imagine them doing that for Dresden, Hamburg, Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WW2. The same goes for the not 100% accurate body counts, it's not like the terrorists (or who ever was bombed) will send out a press release with the accurate number of dead, especially as terrorists kinda like the idea of being presumed dead. The last season of 24 did more to convey why drones might be questionable than this segment.

I...you...what?

quote:

I HAVE ACTUALLY TRIED TO DEFEND THE BOMBING OF HOSPITALS...SO YEAH. REMEMBER THAT WHEN YOU DECIDE TO REPLY TO ME RATHER THAN IGNORING MY POSTS.I should go stand in Israel with a sparkler and hopefully the IDF will drop a missile

Nevermind.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That segment about drones was literally the only report they could find about the ones specified, and it was on Iran's English-speaking news channel. That's how low drone strikes have fallen in the American mind is that A LOT OF THEM don't even get in the news, period.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Drones are not "war". In the american public mind they're thought of(perhaps wrongly) as assassinations. And it is goddamn disturbing to realize the government has NO idea who they are killing.

But I agree that as enjoyable as John Oliver was, the research was pretty thin. I knew more about the issue just by occasionally following blogs like Andrew Sullivan's - not quite sure why they didn't attack the issue from a different angle.

It also felt a little repetitive to have a "We couldn't find any information!" a week after the miss america segment.
The problem of not finding any information was about US policy with respect to drone strikes, not about drones strikes in general as 60 Minutes would do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

The problem of not finding any information was about US policy with respect to drone strikes, not about drones strikes in general as 60 Minutes would do it.

Yeh, the lack of information was the point not due to lack of research. Surely that clip of the Pentagon official in 2002 having no answer when asked "how did you know these people were actually terrorists?" would give some indication towards the lack of effort put into justifying these strikes.

(lol@ Mr THIS IS A WAR, the justification of Dresden and Nagasaki/Hiroshima have never been brought into question :rolleye:)

• Locked thread