Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Son of a gently caress I laughed way too hard at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

n.a.e.q.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
That Legacy final was so fun to watch. Khans commons and uncommons completely wrecking Legacy is just a beauty to watch.

Bonus that the deck is actually pretty reasonable price-wise to build for a Legacy deck. I expect a lot of people to build it moving forward.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Soon to be known as Izzet Delver based on SCG moving over to "Shardless Sultai" and "Sultai Delver".

I don't know why that's an issue but okay.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

AgentSythe posted:

img-timeline.jpg

Guy that is 5-1 at SCG Indy: have you seen a lot of BUG in the room? Brad Nelson is doing okay with it in NJ but I think that deck is super sweet.

This is late, but I ended at 8-2 with a mardu deck. Played what is arguably my worst matchup all day, monsters 7 of my 10 matches. I seen a large variety of monster builds. naya, selsesnya, mono green, azban, golgari, gruul.

One of my matches was against esper control but I couldn't tell you what he did because I killed him on turns 5 and 4 respectively each game while wrecking his hand of any interaction he could possibly have.

Another was against a guy playing azban 12 wrath walkers dot dec, that wasn't pretty for me. I did get him one game but it was pre board and I was on the play, and had a very good draw.

The final deck was mono black aggro. It basically was a bunch of 1 drops and cane at you hard and quick, using its' own life total to hedge for cheap removal and threats.

My review of the format, I would say this is a format where it's all about attacking past one another, rarely all night did I see blocks that weren't in desperation to prevent lethal, and even then just enough to shut down lethal. Control isn't really a thing, any removal that does less than 4 is almost outright awful unless it was drown in sorrow or anger of the gods.

Stormbreath dragon is still really good (especially with a lot of the other flyers and good removal being white) and sarkhan is not a replacement and underperformed every time I seen someone play it, very much a win-more type card that more often than not was used as a 5 mana sorcery speed stoke the flames.

Jeskai combo is fairly real, in both standard and modern. I feel like the standard list could be tuned to be more optimal, but the only three lists (that I knew about) ran in the building in standard made top 16, top 32, and the other had a winning record too. There were almost no other mardu lists either, and I didn't see a single mono red list.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So how expensive is it in MODO to draft really old as sets and is there ANY possibility that Wizards will start the 'Get them all digitally and we will give them to you physically' deal?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

So how expensive is it in MODO to draft really old as sets and is there ANY possibility that Wizards will start the 'Get them all digitally and we will give them to you physically' deal?

Nah, a lot of those sets are out of print. They're not going to fire up the presses to print out a playset of Tempest in hopes that someone will redeem it.
However, I do believe that, for a nominal fee, they will let you redeem a set that's currently in print, if you collect each card on MODO (non-foil, and foil playsets, respectively).

Previous sets are usually only available to draft as a special event and for a limited time. MODO is weird like that.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Herr Tog posted:

Flashback drafts are limited for a week or two I think, last week was Tempest and this week is Innistrad I think. I may be wrong but Flashback drafts usually come alongside Cube I think, which is also limited times.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Nah, a lot of those sets are out of print. They're not going to fire up the presses to print out a playset of Tempest in hopes that someone will redeem it.
However, I do believe that, for a nominal fee, they will let you redeem a set that's currently in print, if you collect each card on MODO (non-foil, and foil playsets, respectively).

Previous sets are usually only available to draft as a special event and for a limited time. MODO is weird like that.

Og I ment the print part in regards to more modern or recent sets. Sorry about that

And I see. gently caress. I might just buy a real box of Tempest then instead.

neetengie posted:

Flashback drafts are limited for a week or two I think, last week was Tempest and this week is Innistrad I think. I may be wrong but Flashback drafts usually come alongside Cube I think, which is also limited times.

Well gently caress if it is I love Innistrad.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

qbert posted:

That Legacy final was so fun to watch. Khans commons and uncommons completely wrecking Legacy is just a beauty to watch.

Bonus that the deck is actually pretty reasonable price-wise to build for a Legacy deck. I expect a lot of people to build it moving forward.

drat I just looked it up and yeah it's pretty cheap overall. Fetches are currently in print, so the actually expensive cards are just the Forces, maybe the Forked Bolts too? Definitely cheap for a deck that just won a Legacy Open.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Serperoth posted:

drat I just looked it up and yeah it's pretty cheap overall. Fetches are currently in print, so the actually expensive cards are just the Forces, maybe the Forked Bolts too? Definitely cheap for a deck that just won a Legacy Open.

Volcanic Island, Scalding Tarn, and Force of Will. Everything else in the deck could probably be bought for $150. Of course the duals are the true expense of the deck, but that's true of most legacy decks, and this one only plays 4.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Zorak posted:

Mostly unrelated to anything going on, but I was just thinking back to how when I first started playing ~ 2 years ago, people kept going on about how Red was the worst and Wizards just wouldn't let red decks ever be good or do anything interesting. Red's been pretty sweet as of late.

Maro has explicitly said that several of the core changes to Red have come out of conversations on his blog on the one-dimensional nature of the color. Act on Impulse - style "draw" being a direct example. So the "going on and on" is helpful sometimes despite being annoying to some.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

qbert posted:

Volcanic Island, Scalding Tarn, and Force of Will. Everything else in the deck could probably be bought for $150. Of course the duals are the true expense of the deck, but that's true of most legacy decks, and this one only plays 4.

Yeah I forgot about the Volcanics, and grouped Scalding Tarn with the rest of the fetches since it's all but guaranteed it will be reprinted within Tarkir block. But hey, 150 for the rest is pretty good, if you already have a Force or Volcanic around in general.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
They'd better not start calling RUG Delver "Temur Delver". I want to cackle like a middle schooler every time I hear someone say "RUG Delver".

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So should availability bring Sarkhan's price down soon or had I bet take the plunge?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BizarroAzrael posted:

So should availability bring Sarkhan's price down soon or had I bet take the plunge?

I'm pretty sure the price will drop a little once people figure out that 4 Sarkhan 0 Stormbreath Dragon isn't the optimal card distribution.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Herr Tog posted:

You can still redeem Magic Online sets for real cards. I don't know why the OP says it was discontinued. Currently, you can redeem sets from Innistrad and newer. The schedule for when sets are redeemable is here.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BizarroAzrael posted:

It will come down. We are still in full on hype/brew mode where everyone is trying to find the next "thing" and supply has no where near caught up with demand. Check Elspeth's price curve for more data. http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/21415

TL:DR take your Christmas money and buy Sarkhan for $18 if you can afford to wait. You can see the decline in price began right around/after gameday. I think standard demand peaks at Gameday and troughs at New Years, at least for the fall set.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 29, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kraus posted:

They'd better not start calling RUG Delver "Temur Delver". I want to cackle like a middle schooler every time I hear someone say "RUG Delver".

True, but at the same time we'll get Temur->Teemo and have Teemo delver :). I can't wait for the alters! (Teemo is the best FYI)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Guys i know made top 8 in both Standard and Legacy. Pretty interesting weekend despite my miserable performance in the modern even...

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Herr Tog posted:

Og I ment the print part in regards to more modern or recent sets. Sorry about that

You can redeem recent sets for $25. I redeemed M15 a week ago.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So legacy people, explain to me Monastery Swiftspear vs. Goblin Guide. I wasn't sold on Spear because I figured Guide was better. I knew it could grow bigger than 2/2 but I guess I didn't count on four Treasure Cruise actually being practical and giving it enough gas to do more over the course of a game.

Does Goblin Guide's trigger tend to get exploited by Brainstorm to get a free extra card? Is it common enough that that's a real factor vs. just average damage per turn?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So legacy people, explain to me Monastery Swiftspear vs. Goblin Guide. I wasn't sold on Spear because I figured Guide was better. I knew it could grow bigger than 2/2 but I guess I didn't count on four Treasure Cruise actually being practical and giving it enough gas to do more over the course of a game.

Does Goblin Guide's trigger tend to get exploited by Brainstorm to get a free extra card? Is it common enough that that's a real factor vs. just average damage per turn?

If you're referring to the Legacy Open winner, it's probably because Delver generally wants non-creature spells, so the average damage goes higher I imagine. Goblin Guide isn't a card really getting played in Delver decks anyway, but Swiftspear has good interaction with Delver's tools in general.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I'd guess the guaranteed extra damage you get out of the guide is offset by the swiftspear not giving your opponent cards/information and the fact that a swiftspear can get you extra mileage out of your burn spells.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Crossquoting from the Eternal thread.

AnacondaHL posted:

It wasn't a joke. I Top 64'd (6-3) SCG Edison Legacy Open with a playset, and would have finished higher if I played more land. Here's what I ran:

Deck: Legacy Burn KTK

//Lands
1 Barbarian Ring
19 Mountain

//Spells
4 Chain Lightning
4 Fireblast
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Price of Progress
4 Rift Bolt
3 Searing Blaze
2 Sulfuric Vortex

//Creatures
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear

//Sideboard
2 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Price of Progress
3 Pyroblast
3 Relic of Progenitus
3 Searing Blood
1 Smash to Smithereens
2 Sulfuric Vortex

Display deck statistics

Here are notable things that happened with Monastery Swiftspear throughout the day:
- Multiple Tarmogoyfs killed straight up in combat
- Instrumental in actually beating Dredge w/o graveyard hate
- Sideboarded out against Death & Taxes that had maindeck Spirit of the Labyrinth and Ethersworn Canonist
- Crushed UW Miracles
- Several opponent frowny faces as my T1 Goblin Guide reveals Daze/Spell Pierce, and I follow with Turn 2 Swiftspear and suspend Rift Bolt
- Going off the traditional Lightning Bolt deals 2.7 damage per card/mana and Goblin Guide deals 3.4, I'd conservatively estimate Swiftspear was in the 3.1 range, but I didn't keep strict count. It may be higher due to absolute dominance in some games.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Applebees posted:

You can still redeem Magic Online sets for real cards. I don't know why the OP says it was discontinued. Currently, you can redeem sets from Innistrad and newer. The schedule for when sets are redeemable is here.

Northjayhawk posted:

You can redeem recent sets for $25. I redeemed M15 a week ago.

Thank you~

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
So Monastery Swiftspear got 9th in NJ Standard, 6th in Indy Modern, and 1st in NJ Legacy, all in week one. Pretty good.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
So glad I got Swiftspears for a quarter apiece.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kraus posted:

So glad I got Swiftspears for a quarter apiece.

poo poo, they'll cost me two quarters and a dime now. Seriously though, I'm glad it's not a rare.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

poo poo, they'll cost me two quarters and a dime now. Seriously though, I'm glad it's not a rare.

Glad I bought my foil playset before they shot up. Apparently they're sold out at $12 apiece on Star City, and not available at all on TCG player.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

neetengie posted:

Dig Through Time is going to be a good contender I think because Card Selection > Random draw 3.

Oh yeah, definitely. Brainstorm is far superior to Ancestral Recall. :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

FordCQC posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. Brainstorm is far superior to Ancestral Recall. :v:

Cost aside, I would rather have Dig Through Time than Ancestral Recall.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

wow

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Angry Grimace posted:

I think that comes from being used to the idea that not all of your cards are fantastic. When all of your cards are dope, you just want to draw more of them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TheLawinator posted:

I think that comes from being used to the idea that not all of your cards are fantastic. When all of your cards are dope, you just want to draw more of them.

I don't know about that. In Vintage I'd rather have a Dig Through Time effect because all my cards are good, but only a few of them are Tinker good. I can't comment on Legacy to the same extent, but it seems to me that the best 2 from 7 cards may be better than getting 3 randoms, one of which is likely a land. Of course Treasure Cruise costs less mana, but the instant speed of Dig Through Time is a big deal for some decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Not all fantastic cards are fantastic in all situations. Dig let's you pick what you need at the time.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Yeah, raw card advantage doesn't depend on your cards being powerful so much as them being interchangeable. It's rare for any given card to be as good as any other given card in a particular situation which is why the idea of 'card advantage' is so much more complicated than just counting pieces of cardboard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The only format where Recall is legal has restricted cards. When I say "cost" I'm referring to the casting cost.

Rinkles posted:

Not all fantastic cards are fantastic in all situations. Dig let's you pick what you need at the time.

It's because people legitimately believe card advantage is an actual rule of deck construction as opposed to a generic principle.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 29, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a reason Ancestral Memories costs 2UUU and Concentrate only costs 2UU, basically. Dig isn't quite as good as Memories because it doesn't stock the graveyard, but on the other hand it's an instant.

There are so many advantages to both cards, it really depends on whether you'd rather cast the sorcery for U or the instant for UU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
My friends and I whipped up a KTK/KTK/JOU/KTK/JOU draft last night. They played surprisingly well together, especially for sets never meant to be drafted with one another. It was really fun.

• Locked thread