Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I really liked the "How is Ayn Rand Still a Thing" segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
They didn't even have to bring up her love for an imprisoned serial killer.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Narcissus1916 posted:

I knew more about the issue just by occasionally following blogs like Andrew Sullivan's

Said no one ever.

Apoplexy posted:

They didn't even have to bring up her love for an imprisoned serial killer.

Or accepting Social Security and Medicare when she became eligible for them. Her justification for it is pretty :laffo: too.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 29, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GaussianCopula posted:

It seems to me they are running out of steam (I only watch the youtube segment because I dont enjoy the shorter bits that much) lately.

Their repeated claim that they were unable to find any more information about their subject than some intern can find in an hour with google makes me wish they stayed with subjects that people know little enough about to make them still look insightful. The segment about drones was literally one NBC report + some pakistani media + one C-SPAN interview mixed together with one of the better known drone-mishap videos to paint a pretty one-sided picture of drones.

The claim that it's irresponsible to not know the exact identities of the targets was somehow really scarry made laugh, because how stupid it is. This is a war and in a war you dont identify every last enemy combatant before you kill him, just imagine them doing that for Dresden, Hamburg, Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WW2. The same goes for the not 100% accurate body counts, it's not like the terrorists (or who ever was bombed) will send out a press release with the accurate number of dead, especially as terrorists kinda like the idea of being presumed dead. The last season of 24 did more to convey why drones might be questionable than this segment.

I really hope they go back to picking up topics that are not on the frontpage as often, because there the "lets google poo poo" method of reporting is not as obviouse.

I think you were looking for Last Week [REDACTED] with Oliver North, this is Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. I can see how that would be an easy mistake to make.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm surprised how they didn't mention that Ayn Rand is from Russia, which is why she has a crazy bizarro view of how capitalism is supposed to work.

It's also why her name is so weird, she took it when she moved here to sound less foreign.

Notsosubtle
Oct 30, 2008

PassTheRemote posted:

I really liked the "How is Ayn Rand Still a Thing" segment.

You'd think they could find an actual philosopher with at least a thinly veiled selfish distain for the average person. The fact that people hold up Ayn Rand - who must have gotten a Bartlett's and read and stupidly misinterpreted a couple Nietzsche quotes - speaks to the deep-seated anti-intellectualism of most republicans. I mean, Bob Nozick at least. Though, in that case they'd actually have to wrestle with the implications of liberalism as opposed to just screaming "have you read ATLAS SHRUGGED!?"

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

comes along bort posted:

Or accepting Social Security and Medicare when she became eligible for them. Her justification for it is pretty :laffo: too.

"Altruism is wrong, but feel free to take advantage of the suckers who feel otherwise."

InflateableFerret
Dec 1, 2005

I pooped my pants

GaussianCopula posted:

It seems to me they are running out of steam (I only watch the youtube segment because I dont enjoy the shorter bits that much) lately.

Their repeated claim that they were unable to find any more information about their subject than some intern can find in an hour with google makes me wish they stayed with subjects that people know little enough about to make them still look insightful. The segment about drones was literally one NBC report + some pakistani media + one C-SPAN interview mixed together with one of the better known drone-mishap videos to paint a pretty one-sided picture of drones.

The claim that it's irresponsible to not know the exact identities of the targets was somehow really scarry made laugh, because how stupid it is. This is a war and in a war you dont identify every last enemy combatant before you kill him, just imagine them doing that for Dresden, Hamburg, Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WW2. The same goes for the not 100% accurate body counts, it's not like the terrorists (or who ever was bombed) will send out a press release with the accurate number of dead, especially as terrorists kinda like the idea of being presumed dead. The last season of 24 did more to convey why drones might be questionable than this segment.

I really hope they go back to picking up topics that are not on the frontpage as often, because there the "lets google poo poo" method of reporting is not as obviouse.

We are not in an official war besides the Korean War. You do identify people before you kill them, because you don't want to kill civilians. We are not terrorists, we have morals and laws to uphold and abide by. You are a really bad troll.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

InflateableFerret posted:

We are not in an official war besides the Korean War. You do identify people before you kill them, because you don't want to kill civilians. We are not terrorists, we have morals and laws to uphold and abide by. You are a really bad troll.

He is right that by not identify every last enemy combatant before you kill him you are committing a war crime.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

comes along bort posted:

poo poo I never knew this. Now I'm even angrier about the shittiness & hypocrisy of Atlas Shrugged, what was her excuse?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

poo poo I never knew this. Now I'm even angrier about the shittiness & hypocrisy of Atlas Shrugged, what was her excuse?

The brilliant part of living your life by a philosophy of base selfishness is that you don't need an excuse for any of your bullshit.

Edit:

"How can you preach the virtues of society based around self-interest and then accept government welfare?
"I think I just answered my own question."

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 30, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

comes along bort posted:

If the point of objectivism is being selfish, I don't see how it's inconsistent to take advantage of social services, even if you object to the existence of those services. I guess that's why there's so much hypocrisy amongst Randites.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
That's exactly why it's that way. The whole ideology is "gently caress you got mine" and doing everything in self-interest and nothing but.

It's basically about as Darwinist as you can be without having evolved from a social context in the slightest. Edit: which is why being against abortion for the "useless" makes no sense and is probably why Ayn Rand was totally for abortion. Women's rights my rear end. She probably wanted to sterilize the "unworthy."

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Just read this excellent illustrated biography of Ayn Rand: http://activatecomix.com/162-1-1.comic

It would have been nice if LWT did a major-length piece to take down Ayn Rand. After all, every video on the official YouTube channel pisses off internet libertarians, so why not go full hog?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ayn Rand's biggest philosophical accomplishment was being able to ignore the works of any real philosopher, and somehow make the argument that even if you find holes in her philosophy, it doesn't invalidate anything.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
EIN!! Rand actually sounds more like a name for fitting in with the Germans than Americans.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Wow, the Ayn Rand segment was the laziest thing this show has every done.

"We don't agree with Ayn Rand's philosophy and, uh, she didn't like Reagan or Indians. That's all we got :shrug:"

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Libertarian spotted.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shadow posted:

Libertarian spotted.

I just think its funny, is all. Its like they just decided they didn't need to conduct research or write a compelling narrative for their pointless smear piece. It was basically, "How about that Ayn Rand, amirite?"

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
They did more research into Ayn Rand than most of her followers have done, I assure you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

"We don't agree with Ayn Rand's philosophy and, uh, she didn't like Reagan or Indians. That's all we got :shrug:"

It was more how she has so many republican followers and at the same time has so many views that they disagree with.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Irish Joe posted:

Its like they just decided they didn't need to conduct research or write a compelling narrative for their pointless smear piece.

to be fair tho they dont, because it's ayn rand and she was a self-evident idiot without an interesting, coherent, or positive thought in her entire worthless life

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The bulk of the Ayn Rand piece was contrasting things Ayn Rand literally said, often on tape, with things her modern day followers believe, and then wondering how she's still a thing when her form of objectivism has no place in modern politics. How was it a smear piece?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Irish Joe posted:

I just think its funny, is all. Its like they just decided they didn't need to conduct research or write a compelling narrative for their pointless smear piece. It was basically, "How about that Ayn Rand, amirite?"

What would go in your compelling ayn rand narrative?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Its almost like that wasn't the main segment of the week, unlike previous hard hitting reports such as "How is dressing up like other races still a thing".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Its almost like that wasn't the main segment of the week, unlike previous hard hitting reports such as "How is dressing up like other races still a thing".
Yeah, "How is x still a thing" and pretty much all the "and now this" cutaways are basically what Last Week Tonight does instead of commercials.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Irish Joe posted:

The segment is called "How is this still a thing?" and there are few things that make me think that more often than Ayn Rand and her followers.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I love LWT's newest weekly segment: Irish Joe Trolls the Thread.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

The bulk of the Ayn Rand piece was contrasting things Ayn Rand literally said, often on tape, with things her modern day followers believe, and then wondering how she's still a thing when her form of objectivism has no place in modern politics. How was it a smear piece?

It was a smear piece because it attempted to discredit an ideology by making snide comments about its founder's personal beliefs. What Rand thought about Reagan or Indians has nothing to do with the substance of The Fountainhead's political ideology. It would be like saying Civil Rights is wrong because MLK Jr. cheated on his wife or that philosophy is bullshit because Aristotle was an elitist piece of poo poo. One thing has nothing to do with the other and its disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Indian bit was somewhat irrelevant, but Ayn Rand's opinions regarding Reagan is certainly relevant in regards to the many mainstream Republicans who quote her like gospel. Remember, the segment wasn't named "Ayn Rand Is Bad", it was named "Why Is This Still A Thing." Ayn Rand had many positions which contradict those of her modern-day followers, so the question is why they still hold her up as some peerless political philosopher.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Irish Joe posted:

It was a smear piece because it attempted to discredit an ideology by making snide comments about its founder's personal beliefs. What Rand thought about Reagan or Indians has nothing to do with the substance of The Fountainhead's political ideology.

the fountainhead has no political ideology beyond "be a prick, forever" because ayn rand was a talentless hack and her followers are all dumber than she is if that's even possible

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JT Jag posted:

The Indian bit was somewhat irrelevant, but Ayn Rand's opinions regarding Reagan is certainly relevant in regards to the many mainstream Republicans who quote her like gospel. Remember, the segment wasn't named "Ayn Rand Is Bad", it was named "Why Is This Still A Thing." Ayn Rand had many positions which contradict those of her modern-day followers, so the question is why they still hold her up as some peerless political philosopher.

Yep they even said this in the segment. It was not an attempt to discredit a stupid ideology, but asking why she is still considered so important when her actions go against what her followers believe.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yeah, I'm not sure what ideology you can pull from Ayn Rand's bullshit. Be a selfish as you possibly can. Care about no one but yourself. Do things only in your (and yours alone) best possible interest. How it affects others doesn't matter in the slightest.

I said it before, but this is Darwinian Economics in its purest sense. Total survival of the fittest mentality. If your business practices result in millions of people losing their job and homes, there should be no safety net for them. At all.

If you're ever called on it when you as a company CEO, say, take a government bail out it's quite simple. You are taking advantage of something that benefits you. Why wouldn't you take it?

That said, no one else should be able to.

In a modern society, this entire "ideology" is disgusting. This is why people who love Ayn Rand get mocked openly by people possessing a conscience. Her entire platform is "gently caress you, got mine," and helping your fellow man is bullshit unless it DIRECTLY BENEFITS YOU.

If that's your ideal philosophy then you, like Ayn Rand, are a loving rear end in a top hat.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

hcreight posted:

I love LWT's newest weekly segment: Irish Joe Trolls the Thread.

Yup. Wonder if this is going to become a regular weekly feature.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

so the question is why they still hold her up as some peerless political philosopher.

You can't expect any two people to be in 100% agreement, 100% of the time. Reasonable people can disagree on some issues while still reaching consensus on others.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Y'all gettin Irish Joe'd on the weekly.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

You can't expect any two people to be in 100% agreement, 100% of the time. Reasonable people can disagree on some issues while still reaching consensus on others.
So are you saying that as long as someone agrees with one thing someone else said, then it's ok if they mischaracterize or marginalize everything else that other person said as long as it furthers the goal of spreading the one thing they agree with?

Because that's what modern conservatives do with Rand's work. "Read this and you'll understand everything! But don't read TOO thoroughly or you might pick up some bad ideas!"

Brock Samson posted:

Y'all gettin Irish Joe'd on the weekly.
I refused to play last week, this is more up my alley.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

So are you saying that as long as someone agrees with one thing someone else said, then it's ok if they mischaracterize or marginalize everything else that other person said as long as it furthers the goal of spreading the one thing they agree with?

Because that's what modern conservatives do with Rand's work. "Read this and you'll understand everything! But don't read TOO thoroughly or you might pick up some bad ideas!"

I don't think its as big a misappropriation as you make it seem. Republicans generally limit themselves to Rand's literary canon, and, more specifically, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. Those two books paint a far more moderate and palatable picture of objectivism than her later philosophical works and public speeches. You suggest that Republicans are doing something wrong by not going full Rand, but ideological purity is stupid regardless of whose ideology its based on. We live in the real world and so I'm not going to fault Republicans for only adopting the aspects of Rand's ideology that are palatable in the real world.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
edit: VVV This guy makes a good point. I've been persuaded and I repent.

So, how is Ayn Rand still a thing? Anyone have their own pet suggestions? I'm going to go with the name being the biggest pusher.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
How is responding to Irish Joe still a thing?

Literally the best thing to come out of Ayn Rand is Rush lyrics.

• Locked thread