Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Where the hell is Damonta? I have been through the canyon and all the way up on that side to Silo 7 but I haven't seen it anywhere...???

It's north of the Canyon exit, near the western mountain ridge. Somewhat to the south and west of Silo 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Snowman Crossing posted:

CANDY?

Yum. Candy!

I'm helping!

______

You sure are, little guy. You sure are. :)

A mean person said I was "unholy" but I've got all the right holes at the right places.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Made it to the Prison last night. I didn't have enough scrap to pay the assessor, so this has turned into a massive bloodbath. I don't feel too bad considering the state of this place, but am I missing anything by my "wipe out the entire RSM" strategy?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I made it to the prison and ambled up a back alley and found a gross rape camp and what seems to be a secret passage into the prison? Should I hold off on going in? Is there more to this location than being a massive combat map

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
That's how I went in. Finally put my Mangler to good use. :clint:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I made it to the prison and ambled up a back alley and found a gross rape camp and what seems to be a secret passage into the prison? Should I hold off on going in? Is there more to this location than being a massive combat map

Certain Red Scorpion members are hostile regardless. If you've met the tax collector, and not killed him, he'll tell you this himself.

Go in the back way if you like. The initial load of red scorpions you fight and the ones in the area you exit out to will ALWAYS be hostile and there's no consequence to killing them.

Some are not hostile, like the ones on the farm.

You will go back to the Prison later, and things may turn out different if you don't kill anyone initially since the speech one guy gives suggests that if you don't finish the job first time around bad things will happen.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

All motherfuckers must die.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So in Hollywood What's the deal with the Hotel California?

I can't see any way to get in, the guy just turns me down at the door. This part of the game is apparently buggy as poo poo so I'm not sure if I've locked myself out of anything or not.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Has anybody else seen the issue in Silo 7 where the passageway to the plane doesn't work? It appears on the map as a doorway but when I hover over it or use Z it doesn't show up. I already went to Damonta and talked to the guy there. That's the only loose end I have (other than wiping everybody out that ever wronged me) before I head to California.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Ddraig posted:

So in Hollywood What's the deal with the Hotel California?

I can't see any way to get in, the guy just turns me down at the door. This part of the game is apparently buggy as poo poo so I'm not sure if I've locked myself out of anything or not.

Where are you on the Heidi/Veronica/Bastion situation? You have to move that along first and if you do it a certain way another path to the Hotel California will eventually present itself. You can find it even without going through that quest but that probably risks breaking even more stuff.

dvl
Mar 9, 2007
n/a

HiriseSoftware posted:

Has anybody else seen the issue in Silo 7 where the passageway to the plane doesn't work? It appears on the map as a doorway but when I hover over it or use Z it doesn't show up. I already went to Damonta and talked to the guy there. That's the only loose end I have (other than wiping everybody out that ever wronged me) before I head to California.

Do you have enough perception? I think it might require 7.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i am harry posted:

Hey does this game have some sort of loot adjustment mechanics because over the last week of play I've noticed that if I open a chest for the first time, there seems to be a decent chance of a weapon and some other goodies inside it, but if I mess up and die and reload to before I did that and re-open the same chest there's usually only one or two pieces of ammo inside...out of curiosity I spent 15 min opening and reloading a couple and it seems that each time the second+ result was boring and trivial.

If this is true, it's kind of brilliant and kind of a total dick move. But I don't see how it can be true since the save files aren't modified when you reload them?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Loot is random, ful stop, but chests/etc have a chance at particular tiers of gear. I opened a chest and it had a Bar, but got in a fight I didn't want to deal with, reloaded, and then it had an SOSG.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

dvl posted:

Do you have enough perception? I think it might require 7.

Tried that and that was the ticket in. Of course Red somehow got past the Damonta robots and was there to greet me and laughed at me because he got to the treasure first. I promptly shot him in the back as he walked away. No loot though :( And nothing of note inside the plane.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I'm about level 10 now and love the atmosphere and the characters so far, but... the leveling system is one of the dullest I've seen. I mean, even Fallout 1 had Perks and Traits if I recall correctly. With nothing to gain over the course of leveling except a set amount of skill points, and no way to raise your attributes, I can see this getting stale a little fast. Is this something the devs acknowledged or that might be adressed later on?

In the same vein, having the only thing you can spend when leveling up tied to one of your character attributes is a really lovely move. I'd much prefer it if 4 or 5 Skill points was just hard set. I ended up restarting the game with every character on INT 8+ because of this, and with some other factors it seems there's a couple "optimal" attribute builds, further diminishing the feeling of having unique characters with different strengths.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I never liked or understood RPGs' insistence on tying skill points to an attribute, and to intelligence in particular.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I never liked or understood RPGs' insistence on tying skill points to an attribute, and to intelligence in particular.

RPGs overvalue intelligence because RPG players often feel that that attribute is the only thing they have in abundance :spergin:

It might be interesting if intelligence gave you your skill points, but the cost per skill was determined by all of your other attributes (and not intelligence). So a smart, clumsy character might not learn to shoot better than a dextrous character of average intelligence.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dibujante posted:

It might be interesting if intelligence gave you your skill points, but the cost per skill was determined by all of your other attributes (and not intelligence). So a smart, clumsy character might not learn to shoot better than a dextrous character of average intelligence.

This makes too much sense, doesn't fit in a CRPG. :grognard:

e: if inXile officially added Perks to the game, I would even pay actual money for it as DLC. It's me, I'm the problem.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Luebbi posted:

I'm about level 10 now and love the atmosphere and the characters so far, but... the leveling system is one of the dullest I've seen. I mean, even Fallout 1 had Perks and Traits if I recall correctly. With nothing to gain over the course of leveling except a set amount of skill points, and no way to raise your attributes, I can see this getting stale a little fast. Is this something the devs acknowledged or that might be adressed later on?

In the same vein, having the only thing you can spend when leveling up tied to one of your character attributes is a really lovely move. I'd much prefer it if 4 or 5 Skill points was just hard set. I ended up restarting the game with every character on INT 8+ because of this, and with some other factors it seems there's a couple "optimal" attribute builds, further diminishing the feeling of having unique characters with different strengths.

Yeah, the balance in this game is just flat out horrible and the character creation stuff is a joke how pointlessly complicated and opaque it is.

I like the world and I like the writing, but the game is just kind of a dick in a lot of ways.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's a pity the Fallout Tactics portraits are all in different ratios or else I would use them. But I did manage to mess about and make the one I wanted

Bunch more (non FT related) portraits here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a04isamzngh85gd/WL.rar?dl=0

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

HiriseSoftware posted:

Tried that and that was the ticket in. Of course Red somehow got past the Damonta robots and was there to greet me and laughed at me because he got to the treasure first. I promptly shot him in the back as he walked away. No loot though :( And nothing of note inside the plane.

And he was such a trustworthy character.

dvl
Mar 9, 2007
n/a

HiriseSoftware posted:

The treasure is only 20 "Gold!" or 10 if you split it with Red. You get it by using the screwdriver which you find from the plane on one of the floor tiles.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Has there been any date announced for the physical copies to ship out yet? Hearing very little through the newsletter. I'm waiting for that before I start playing since I'm busy with work and it's a good limiter.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Snowman Crossing posted:

CANDY?

Yum. Candy!

I'm helping!

______

You sure are, little guy. You sure are. :)

OH GOD WHAT IS THAT WHAT IS THAT THING WITH THE DOLL OH NO IT IS FOLLOWING ME NO NO NO I JUST LOOKED INTO ITS EYES AND PUKED A LITTLE OH NO WHAT IS IT DOING NO MAN NO DON’T PUT THAT IN YOUR MOUTH

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Cheap Shot posted:

Has there been any date announced for the physical copies to ship out yet? Hearing very little through the newsletter. I'm waiting for that before I start playing since I'm busy with work and it's a good limiter.

Tomorrow for Deep Silver (US and others I guess)
10 days ago for Koch Media, Germany

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
On getting level 4 rad suits, apparently Red in The Prison was supposed to start me on a quest to go back to Ranger Citadel and see a guy in the brig about getting the suits. He didn't give me any part of dialogue to get that rolling. So I shot him and he drops a level 4 rad suit. yay! Rose and Angie were mad, though :[

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Pwnstar posted:

OH GOD WHAT IS THAT WHAT IS THAT THING WITH THE DOLL OH NO IT IS FOLLOWING ME NO NO NO I JUST LOOKED INTO ITS EYES AND PUKED A LITTLE OH NO WHAT IS IT DOING NO MAN NO DON’T PUT THAT IN YOUR MOUTH

Those dumb trading cards finally have value to me

CyanideRush
Apr 14, 2004
So...What's in the giant locked vault door in the center of Ranger HQ? Is it something plot specific I don't want spoiled, or is it an easter egg for fans of the first game?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

That's assuming you can keep it running. The patch has made it literally unplayable for some rare people, because something under the hood just shits itself a couple of minutes after launch.

No, you're wrong.

All of you, WRONG!

WASTELAND 2 IS A PERFECT MACHINE! IT HAS TRANSCENDED ALL WEAKNESSES OF THE FLESH AND IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY! IT IS YOUR OWN LIMITATIONS AS HU-MANS WHICH MUST BE PURGED!

:stare: purrrrrgggeedddd

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well I'm still having fun. I only had slow-down once while playing in the Canyon of Titan, right after fighting off some honey badgers.

That's going to change in Cali, won't it? :ohdear:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CuddleChunks posted:

No, you're wrong.

All of you, WRONG!

WASTELAND 2 IS A PERFECT MACHINE! IT HAS TRANSCENDED ALL WEAKNESSES OF THE FLESH AND IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY! IT IS YOUR OWN LIMITATIONS AS HU-MANS WHICH MUST BE PURGED!

:stare: purrrrrgggeedddd

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Lotish posted:

Well I'm still having fun. I only had slow-down once while playing in the Canyon of Titan, right after fighting off some honey badgers.

That's going to change in Cali, won't it? :ohdear:

I didn't have any major performance issues outside of post-alarm Titan. The biggest issue with Cali is just a bunch of unpolished quests and weird dialog trees. You can advance quests by asking for info on stuff you haven't even encountered yet, break quests by asking seemingly harmless questions, and gently caress it up if you do things out of order. I have faith they'll fix that, but until they do I'm sitting on my next play through.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Your dudes really need to stop if they spot a landmine. Even BG had a pause if trap spotted option.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Your dudes really need to stop if they spot a landmine. Even BG had a pause if trap spotted option.

Pretty much this. Especially maps where you've cleared some landmines but not all of them and you've already killed any other enemies so you're just clickong on the map exit and waiting for your dudes to path there.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Ohmygodsquad posted:

or "pause on damage taken," but nope they will run right thru the minefield until they're all dead, if you happen to be looking someplace else while you wait for them to amble over

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

or "pause on damage taken," but nope they will run right thru the minefield until they're all dead, if you happen to be looking someplace else while you wait for them to amble over

I'd honestly like a "pause on perception sound effect" but they'd have to fix a few places where perception always triggers.

As it stands you often can't get to where the party is in time to see whatever it is.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I found you can actually just shoot landmines without any real issue. Handy if you have a big chunk of .38 still lying around.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Party Plane Jones posted:

I found you can actually just shoot landmines without any real issue. Handy if you have a big chunk of .38 still lying around.

Even more fun when it's in battle and the enemy are in the minefield.

Fire a big ol' load of buckshot at them, watch as they die screaming in buckshot and explosions.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, in Rail Nomad there was this one field with some giant frogs and waste wolves, and the whole crowd managed to wander deep into the field without touching anything, until one of them finally did and they all scattered, hitting every other mine on the way. It was hilarious and made mopping up piss easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

hahahahah very nice.

My parents are visiting so I'm spending time with them but I keep thinking about the Wasteland and how it needs more saving. Bah, hu-mans are boring and interacting with them even more so! I know what needs to be done.

• Locked thread