Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My favorite comments are the ones that compare the game to The Last of Us as if that game invented the "scrounging around for items in a survival or horror scenario" genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It does have a very similar feel to it, though. There's clearly a large amount of inspiration taken there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DeathChicken posted:

This all makes me think that if RE4 were just now coming out and they made it a point in the trailers to show off how the chainsaw guys could jump and one-shot you, man, that game would have blown, don't bother playing.

Now granted, this game could very well wind up being terrible, but still.

I heard that plaga can bite your head off instantly. Not worth playing.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Clever Spambot posted:

There is always a smartass comment like that in every thread that says anything negative about a game that isnt out yet. Its like people think that human beings cant look at poo poo they have seen a thousand times and say pretty definitively "this works" or "this doesnt work" or even "I dont think this looks like something i personally enjoy" without looking like some rear end in a top hat who is jumping the gun, its really obnoxious and white-noisy.

Even the dev who's playing it goes seems really unimpressed with that gimmick. He just gets hit, sighs, eats a potion, and continues play.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It does have a very similar feel to it, though. There's clearly a large amount of inspiration taken there.

last of us was inspired by the games made by the guy helming evil within

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DeathChicken posted:

This all makes me think that if RE4 were just now coming out and they made it a point in the trailers to show off how the chainsaw guys could jump and one-shot you, man, that game would have blown, don't bother playing.

I too remember how the chainsaw guys/plagas in RE4 instantly appeared behind you with no warning.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You can't move while aiming in RE4? Ugh 1/10 would not bang.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The first time I died in that game was a chainsaw guy popping up from nowhere while I was bunkered in the house, so yeah.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Normal Adult Human posted:

Even the dev who's playing it goes seems really unimpressed with that gimmick. He just gets hit, sighs, eats a potion, and continues play.

I find it hard to comprehend the logic behind that promotional video "The best way to sell this game as being fun and not at all tedious is to take a non emotive guy who is not good at playing the game, drop him nine chapters in with an underleveled character and film him dying and rolling his eyes in annoyance while barely making any progress for an hour straight. Oh yeah, have him play a build that still has some major issues with the trap disarming minigame, because nothing gets players more excited than broken minigames that inflict health penalties upon failure." I still think it looks great, but I can understand how something like that wouldn't exactly change your mind if you were already expecting the worst.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Judge Clayjar posted:

last of us was inspired by the games made by the guy helming evil within
Ha, I guess that explains that. I wasn't trying to accuse anyone of plagiarism, though, just agreeing that the games do have quite a lot in common. Seems like there's a good reason why they do. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mysterious frankie posted:

I find it hard to comprehend the logic behind that promotional video "The best way to sell this game as being fun and not at all tedious is to take a non emotive guy who is not good at playing the game, drop him nine chapters in with an underleveled character and film him dying and rolling his eyes in annoyance while barely making any progress for an hour straight. Oh yeah, have him play a build that still has some major issues with the trap disarming minigame, because nothing gets players more excited than broken minigames that inflict health penalties upon failure." I still think it looks great, but I can understand how something like that wouldn't exactly change your mind if you were already expecting the worst.

See that's what gets me. Everyone admits the video is taken from the middle of the game, with an under leveled character and a player that has no idea what's going on yet automatically assumes the mechanic is going to be terrible. Like sure I get being a little hesitant but until there's context people should probably hold back from going "IT'S GONNA SUCK :gonk:"

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

A lot of times, the people who produce test builds and the people who arrange media demos have very little communication between them. It's dumb and an indication that the producers do not have their poo poo together, but it shouldn't be as black a mark on the game as people make it out to be. Sometimes the marketing team has to run with whatever they've got.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cardiovorax posted:

Ha, I guess that explains that. I wasn't trying to accuse anyone of plagiarism, though, just agreeing that the games do have quite a lot in common. Seems like there's a good reason why they do. :v:

I am surprised at the number of people though that, even being knowledgeable of this game's creator, think "this game plays more like The Last of Us than classic RE" is a reason to be worried about the game being bad. As if a game that plays like The Last of Us/RE4 directed by the guy who created Resident Evil/RE4/Devil may Cry/etc. is somehow a cause for alarm.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Did anyone actually say the game will definitely be bad in the last page or so? I'm legit curious who len is arguing with that is saying the game will 100% be awful because a mechanic in the promotional material looked bad.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I have no strong opinions on how good it'll be, I was just reminded of the gameplay in another game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

1stGear posted:

The stream where ghostydude makes an appearance, for reference. He makes an appearance at around 4 minutes and about 17:35, and probably more because I haven't watched the whole thing. He can appear during fights, during opening doors, behind you, and in such close quarters that there's zero chance to escape. People who have played the demo have reported that he can appear at points where you are completely vulnerable and unable to escape and is totally random.

If that's the case, its a completely poo poo mechanic that has nothing on Nemesis or the Dahaka or whatever.

This guy in the last page strongly hints that it's gonna be a poo poo mechanic.

Edit:

ManOfTheYear posted:

What worries you about the mechanics? Are there some glaring issues out of the bat?

Accordion Man posted:

There may be an invincible enemy that can one-shot you, or just bring you to one health, if you take too long throughout the game.

I mean the thread is sounding pretty negative on the last page about a mechanic that almost nothing is known about.

Len fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 29, 2014

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
But didnt say it was going to be a poo poo game, so you are arguing with a strawman, got it thanks.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Len posted:

This guy in the last page strongly hints that it's gonna be a poo poo mechanic.

Clever Spambot posted:

Did anyone actually say the game will definitely be bad in the last page or so? I'm legit curious who len is arguing with that is saying the game will 100% be awful because a mechanic in the promotional material looked bad.

I've highlighted all the words in my post where I definitively say The Evil Within will be a bad game.

1stGear posted:

TEW looks like it has a lot of interesting points (though I doubt its going to be some earth-shattering event) but having a ghost dude just pop up and hit you in the face is a poo poo mechanic regardless of what part of the game its in. From what we've been presented with, there's really no reason to believe it'll improve the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't remember saying it was gonna be a poo poo game either? I mean I guess in one post I said "IT'S GONNA SUCK :gonk:" but the other two I typed out the word "mechanic". Either way I'm not going to get the game just kind of curious how a mechanic that is still pretty unexplained is automatically making people think it's going to suck.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I really wish people weren't so invested in this kind of stuff. It's really hard to talk about upcoming releases when, every time you say that something doesn't look too promising, someone behaves like you hurt their feelings personally.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Cardiovorax posted:

I really wish people weren't so invested in this kind of stuff. It's really hard to talk about upcoming releases when, every time you say that something doesn't look too promising, someone behaves like you hurt their feelings personally.

Yeah, it's a little juvenile. A bad mechanic a bad game does not make anyway, Shadows of the Damned had some bad mechanics but still kicked serious rear end.

I mean, by all means play it before you stamp it with the poo poo stamp but if someone posts "this looks bad, I don't wanna play it" who loving cares

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm not really expecting the game to be incredible myself though I am excited for its release. Just when the TGS footage first appeared there was this mini-reverberation across the internet of "man it's just a Last of Us ripoff I though this was gonna be a real original game" out of nowhere. I was just saying that I didn't understand why this would even be a thought people would have when there are actual things to talk about like the ghost mechanic possibly sucking, the framerate, the way ammo seems kind of scarce so you have to actually use those traps/hide from some things. A genre game from a major publisher is superficially like another game from a major publisher isn't really big news.

I didn't mean to start a thread exclusive witchhunt where people track down individual posts trying to prove whether someone is sufficiently critical enough or not of the game. Sorry folks.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I think we can all agree though that it's really piss poor marketing to have 'definitely not actors' getting scared at a television to show you how super scary a game is. Between that, and the super bored guy being poo poo at the game, I don't know who they have handling their marketing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Niggurath posted:

I think we can all agree though that it's really piss poor marketing to have 'definitely not actors' getting scared at a television to show you how super scary a game is. Between that, and the super bored guy being poo poo at the game, I don't know who they have handling their marketing.

I dunno, Silent Hills did that and it was hilarious.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Niggurath posted:

Bethesda marketing's only settings are absurd levels of hype everywhere for what will be the greatest game in all of game history or quietly shoved out to die so this doesn't surprise me. I feel like they didn't think anyone would be interested in Evil Within at all and scrambled to get anything together at all in the past few months when people took an interest in it at E3. It also had a shaky release date (it was originally set for September last year, then briefly for PS4 launch) so they probably didn't want to commit to a huge campaign for something not guaranteed to be a mega-hit like a new Elder Scrolls.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

AnonSpore posted:

I dunno, Silent Hills did that and it was hilarious.

Can you link? I never saw that video.

Also, relevant to topic, a new Evil Within trailer came out today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TukCKaNKymg

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Convinced me :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm still really impressed that they were able to take an engine that can run locked at 60FPS on PS3 and make it look this choppy.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Niggurath posted:

Nobody knows how to market survival horrors man, bethesda loving it up doesn't surprise me at all. It's either LOOK AT HOW MUCH ACTION IS IN THIS NOT ACTION GAME or LOOK AT HOW SCARY IT IS!!! with no nuance in between.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nobody knows how to market horror, period. Maybe that's because big studios just don't make good horror to begin with. I mean, really, when was the last time you saw a really good, inspired horror game that wasn't by some small, new or indie studio? Something about horror designed by committee just doesn't work.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's why I can't wait for Kojima to do it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Evil Within at least has a chance with an auteur at the top, but Dead Space is probably the last AAA horror game that wasn't complete rear end. I don't really count The Last of Us because it's neither horror nor survival, it's an action game with its resources balanced towards conservation rather than spraying and praying.

I think the part that a lot of developers mess up is, oddly enough, the save systems. Modern games are so addicted to checkpoints and auto saves that even if a AAA studio makes a horror game, they have to use checkpoints. I think supply constrained saves at a few safe spots are integral to making a truly scary survival horror, otherwise you lose the fear of mortality and when you die that section of the game loses all of its punch. Repeating a section until you get it right isn't really conducive to horror.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm sure that topic has been done to death, but I'm not certain I'd even call the Dead Space series horror. They're good and fun games, but while they have all the trappings of horror, the implementation strikes me as something that was made by people who know what horror is supposed to be like but don't really understand what it's supposed to do.

I don't actually mind checkpoints or saves, though. Good horror doesn't come from the fear of having to go through a tedious section again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Agreed, one of the many reasons RE4 is so amazing* is because of how perfectly balanced the combat is. There's save points you have to reach before you stop playing, though they're not to rare and the game will give you checkpoints within a session. They also make Leon kind of a glass canon, especially on a first play through since killing the enemies is not the difficult part of combat. The combat's challenge is more about positioning and situational awareness as there are several enemy types that can kill you with one hit,** if you don't hear the chainsaw revving up you'll probably get decapitated from behind, etc. Last of Us made good on this and while I know "technically" it's more of a third person shooter I still think of it as a great evolution of RE4's basic structure.

Dead Space 1 and 2 are about as much horror as System Shock 2, like I do consider them horror games even if the primary form of interaction with the environment is destroying hordes of monsters. The relative fragility of the main character, I feel, plays more of a part in the tension than the actual number of enemies defeated. I feel like both DS1 and 2 toed that line successfully, 3 is just crap though, even as an action game.

*It's notable that the best horror games recently, Dead Space and Last of Us, both cribbed heavily from RE4.

**The best one of these will always be the boomerang scythe decapitation because it's so rare and ridiculously out of nowhere compared to any of the others, I can't even find it on Youtube to show it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 29, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Brackhar posted:

Also, relevant to topic, a new Evil Within trailer came out today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TukCKaNKymg

I dunno. Parts of this looked interesting and some parts looked just like meh. The general aesthetic sure is meh

Like some of the stuff looked like it was trying to be gross just for gross' sake (like Outlast). Which isn't scary, it's just... gross. There's also a part in the trailer where there's a giant monster?? attacking the city?? and I was like "ooooh!" and then the next scene is being chased by regular rear end zombies. And I was like "oh... alright."

Is there some kind of turning-back-time mechanic or was that just a gimmick for the trailer?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
The first Dead Space had strong aesthetics and very tense gameplay. I'd say that definitely counts as horror. That was before they turned the series into a space soap opera Gears of War.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Brackhar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSp0EjvcmyI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBR0fDwFA9M

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Neo Rasa posted:

Agreed, one of the many reasons RE4 is so amazing* is because of how perfectly balanced the combat is. There's save points you have to reach before you stop playing, though they're not to rare and the game will give you checkpoints within a session. They also make Leon kind of a glass canon, especially on a first play through since killing the enemies is not the difficult part of combat. The combat's challenge is more about positioning and situational awareness as there are several enemy types that can kill you with one hit,** if you don't hear the chainsaw revving up you'll probably get decapitated from behind, etc. Last of Us made good on this and while I know "technically" it's more of a third person shooter I still think of it as a great evolution of RE4's basic structure.

Dead Space 1 and 2 are about as much horror as System Shock 2, like I do consider them horror games even if the primary form of interaction with the environment is destroying hordes of monsters. The relative fragility of the main character, I feel, plays more of a part in the tension than the actual number of enemies defeated. I feel like both DS1 and 2 toed that line successfully, 3 is just crap though, even as an action game.

*It's notable that the best horror games recently, Dead Space and Last of Us, both cribbed heavily from RE4.

**The best one of these will always be the boomerang scythe decapitation because it's so rare and ridiculously out of nowhere compared to any of the others, I can't even find it on Youtube to show it.

Ah, you mean this death? http://youtu.be/xw67RoagXJI?t=2m49s

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

woodenchicken posted:

The first Dead Space had strong aesthetics and very tense gameplay. I'd say that definitely counts as horror. That was before they turned the series into a space soap opera Gears of War.
I don't know, it felt like a primarily action game to me from the beginning. It tries really hard to use The Thing's concept, but because it's all about butchering beasties by the boatload it just doesn't develop that kind of paranoid tension. Know what I mean? People made fun of how you could tell that every Necromorph corpse you ran across was gonna get up because they all did pretty much as soon as it came out. A good horror writer wouldn't make that kind of mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

More and more I'm disappointed that The Thing (The game obviously) came out when it did. It had a lot of fun ideas that just couldn't be done within the power of the PS2/Xbox.