Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced Wavebird in decent condition for Smash? Amazon just has a bunch of used ones that are filthy, have rubber missing from the joystick, and don't come with the receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

the truth posted:

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced Wavebird in decent condition for Smash? Amazon just has a bunch of used ones that are filthy, have rubber missing from the joystick, and don't come with the receiver.

I'll sell you mine maybe?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

Drowning Rabbit posted:

It came out Friday? So it's been out 2 days now.

I'm liking it but the "Legend" mode seems really short. Haven't finished it, but I'm already in the epilogue with casual play?

The legend mode is kind of long... You aren't at the end of it.

However, Legend mode doesn't hold a candle to Adventure mode where you get to go hunting for whatever you want (new characters, weapons and tiers of weapons). You will also encounter missions you need to actually level or get bloody competent to beat, if you're trying to beeline to the good stuff.

Man I'm loving loving this game. I think Adventure mode 2P is the best.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Can we even use the Wavebird with the GC controller adapter that comes with Smash? If so that rules, I always thought the original GC controllers were a little too small.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

TheRam posted:

The legend mode is kind of long... You aren't at the end of it.

However, Legend mode doesn't hold a candle to Adventure mode where you get to go hunting for whatever you want (new characters, weapons and tiers of weapons). You will also encounter missions you need to actually level or get bloody competent to beat, if you're trying to beeline to the good stuff.

Man I'm loving loving this game. I think Adventure mode 2P is the best.

I'm playing the game exclusively with my Wife and it's pretty awesome for that. The decision to make one player have to play on the gamepad is a bit odd, and the slow down that you get is definitely annoying, but it's a seriously fun Dynasty Warriors/Zelda crossover.

Seriously though, when you have to fight that Dragon in the third Twilight level, it was abysmal lag for me. :(

The Duke posted:

Can we even use the Wavebird with the GC controller adapter that comes with Smash? If so that rules, I always thought the original GC controllers were a little too small.

It's all assumptions as of now isn't it? The game isn't out yet, neither is the adapter right? However I would doubt that there would really be a difference between the wireless adapter and the actual plug of a wired GCN controller. Shouldn't be a reason that it wouldn't work. I think I'd be all set with just using my Wii U Pro controller though. Worked amazing for Monster Hunter too.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A gamecube controller port can't distinguish between a Wavebird receiver and a wired controller plug. If it works with one it'll work with the other.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Duke posted:

I thought they were the same size :confused:. The Wavebird filled in the middle with the battery (and presumably wireless stuff) but as far as the controls I think they were identical.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

However I would doubt that there would really be a difference between the wireless adapter and the actual plug of a wired GCN controller. Shouldn't be a reason that it wouldn't work.
The Wavebird adapter was a little chunky block that just fit perfectly side by side, if they reduced the spacing width at all you'd only be able to connect two at once. From pictures it looks like they might've kept the original spacing but it's hard to tell for sure. Or if they changed the depth slightly I guess that'd gently caress with it too. Cable extensions should work to connect them if nothing else I guess.

If they did physically restrict Wavebirds, obviously it's a ploy to sell new and improved Wii U native versions for use as a Pro Controller and for GC VC games. One day :smith:

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 29, 2014

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Austrian mook posted:

So I wanna buy Hyrule Warriors, but I'm hoping to pick it up on a price drop, not sure I wanna take a chance on full price. How's it selling?

Anecdotal evidence, but I haven't been able to find a copy of it since release in LA, and I've now hit up 4 Best Buys and 4 Gamestops.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

KingEffingFrost posted:

Anecdotal evidence, but I haven't been able to find a copy of it since release in LA, and I've now hit up 4 Best Buys and 4 Gamestops.

Ouch. It's a really fun game, sorry you're missing out. At this point if you hit 8 stores, think it might be easier to just download it? Though it's understandable if you want to hold out for the disk.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

What's so good abou-:stare:.

Well now you have no excuse not to make a full game, Platinum :colbert:.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
OP has been updated. I've revised the upcoming games a bit, and added in the earlier-mentioned Best Buy price drop to the hardware section.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

update the OP by removing Pikmin 3 and replacing it with Hyrule Warriors tia

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Kaubocks posted:

update the OP by removing Pikmin 3 and replacing it with Hyrule Warriors tia

Dammit Kaubocks you didn't even play Pikmin 3 you only played the first one maybe I should update the OP telling people not to listen to your awful opinions :mad: :mad: :mad:

I may end up putting Hyrule Warriors on the recommended. There are a lot of people to whom I wouldn't recommend the game, but it's at least on the cusp of being "good enough," otherwise.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

:aaaaa:

:vince:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Ultigonio posted:

Dammit Kaubocks you didn't even play Pikmin 3 you only played the first one maybe I should update the OP telling people not to listen to your awful opinions :mad: :mad: :mad:

Do this and add Hyrule Warriors to the OP, that would be fantastic.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I honestly haven't seen anyone saying to NOT get Hyrule Warriors, it seems to have pleased everyone as long as you know exactly what you're getting into (ie not a typical Zelda game). The fanservice is amazing and people are saying it's one of the better Warriors games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

From what I've played, Hyrule Warriors is what happens when you send the A-team to make a B-team crossover game and it's pretty fantastic. Definitely up there with Dynasty Warriors 8, Samurai Warriors 4, and Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

edit: That item system relating to bosses is a great idea, can't wait to see it utilized in main games.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

japtor posted:

I thought they were the same size :confused:. The Wavebird filled in the middle with the battery (and presumably wireless stuff) but as far as the controls I think they were identical.

I just like the weight I guess

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

What exactly in Hyrule Warriors triggers Network Links to appear in adventure mode, assuming anyone knows?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Seriously though, when you have to fight that Dragon in the third Twilight level, it was abysmal lag for me. :(

I did Legacy mode almost exclusively single player, and had minimal lag. On Adventure mode it's been super rare, like 3 noticable glitches in like 20 hours.
Then again I'm really not someone who notices frame drops in games like this, if it happens in an online game I am on it like a Hawk, but it's a different frame of mind for me.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Wild Knight posted:

I honestly haven't seen anyone saying to NOT get Hyrule Warriors, it seems to have pleased everyone as long as you know exactly what you're getting into (ie not a typical Zelda game). The fanservice is amazing and people are saying it's one of the better Warriors games.

I'm not even slightly a Zelda fanboy, and Dynasty Warriors always seemed kind of boring. For the friendly Nintendo console I think this game is a perfect match. The couch coop is seriously addictive I almost think it's a must buy. It has to be for people who like coop.

iastudent posted:

What exactly in Hyrule Warriors triggers Network Links to appear in adventure mode, assuming anyone knows?

I've not had one in 20 hours of it, I am confused.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I watched that with a big dumb slack jaw look on my face.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Make sure you turn Network Connection on in the game settings, it defaults to off. Other than that I got a friend and a random Link early this morning and haven't seen any since so it may be once every 24 hours or it may be a tiny sample size.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I read about network links, turned them on in the options menu and as soon as I loaded up adventure mode (I had some of it already done) one appeared. Haven't seen any others though.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Supercar Gautier posted:

A gamecube controller port can't distinguish between a Wavebird receiver and a wired controller plug. If it works with one it'll work with the other.

Not necessarily, I have an USB adapter for my PC with two ports that won't work with a Wavebird, it doesn't have enough power to run the receiver. But the Wii U one uses 2 ports, and it's not made by some no name company, so hopefully it'll work.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Oh yeah, I guess there is the slight amount of power draw for the receiver, but yeah, the second USB connection should deal with that. The adapter's cords being different colours kinda seems to signal that one is for data and one is for power.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If anyone's still interested I finally got around to calling Nintendo support about replacing my gamepad that broke a couple months ago. (Gotta play that Hyrule Warriors!)

[Long story short, the flat repair fee was $99 with $10 shipping plus tax, coming to a total of about $113. The damage was not covered by the warranty, of course.

I asked and no, you still cannot just flat out buy a new gamepad nor were there any upcoming plans to make them available.
I also didn't know the gamepad had its own serial number, completely independent of the system's.

So there you go.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I can't remember your gamepad story. Are you the one whose cat broke it?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fremry posted:

I can't remember your gamepad story. Are you the one whose cat broke it?

Yes. The stupid jerk knocked it off the table and it fell screen first onto the corner of something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He just wanted to play Flavor Cats

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You can't just buy a new gamepad? What the hell? That's so bizarre. Nintendo is such a loving weird company.

Why isn't there a :nintendo: analogue to :dice: or something yet?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

He just wanted to play Flavor Cats

I completely forgot that existed. Turns out the Chimpuzzle Pro game actually came out like a week ago and is, indeed, complete poo poo according to reviews.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

RyokoTK posted:

You can't just buy a new gamepad? What the hell? That's so bizarre. Nintendo is such a loving weird company.

I'm guessing that it's not worth the manufacturing costs to have spare Gamepads available for purchase. Since there's no reason to buy more than one Gamepad per WiiU because no games and maybe even the console itself doesn't support two gamepads yet, there's no market except in cases where it is broken beyond repair, which are fringe cases. Not to mention if they did sell them they'd probably be around $100 anyways considering they have a lot more bells and whistles than a standard controller.

I'm not a retail merchandise buyer but this is just the explanation that makes the most sense to me.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So what happens if your gamepad gets lost or destroyed beyond repair, just buy a new Wii U?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tender Bender posted:

So what happens if your gamepad gets lost or destroyed beyond repair, just buy a new Wii U?

They probably just give you a refurb one

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

FPzero posted:

I'm not a retail merchandise buyer but this is just the explanation that makes the most sense to me.

My guess is that if the Wii U was selling like the Wii sold, they would have two gamepad support by now, but as of right now, it's the last thing they need to focus on.

Also:

The Fatal Frame team is so weird.

joystiq posted:

The spectral horrors of Fatal Frame 5: The Black Haired Shrine Maiden will find themselves stalking a more dangerous foe than they're used to, thanks to a cross-publisher cameo from the Dead or Alive fighting game franchise.

According to the latest issue of Famitsu, Yosuke Hayashi, head of Dead or Alive developer Team Ninja, requested that the next Fatal Frame entry feature an appearance by Ayane. In lieu of appearing as a secret costume, the Fatal Frame developers have given Ayane her own playable scenario that sees the purple kunoichi sneaking through darkened halls while wielding her own unique weapon. Despite the new, eerie setting, fans of the female form need not fear that Ayane's grown any more modest. Famitsu claims the Fatal Frame team paid special attention to the character's unrealistically buoyant bosoms. "[The developers] spent a lot of time adjusting things like the wobble of her chest," claims Famitsu. "Team Ninja gave them lots of advice."

Fatal Frame 5: The Black Haired Shrine Maiden debuted in Japan on September 27. There's currently no word on a Western release for the survival horror game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

quote:

"Team Ninja gave them lots of advice."

H E H

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

RyokoTK posted:

Tender Bender posted:

You can order a gamepad replacement from Nintendo if you can believe it. Pretty crazy huh? Almost broke my brain imagining such as scenario.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

whaley posted:

You can order a gamepad replacement from Nintendo if you can believe it. Pretty crazy huh? Almost broke my brain imagining such as scenario.

To be fair, it doesn't look like you can just order one from the online Nintendo store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
You know what would be a thing I wish companies would do? When they update their EULAs for whatever reason, it'd be nice if they'd highlight or point out what changed. I know why they don't, but I'm always curious about EULA changes and updates.

The latest for the Nintendo Network Services Agreement, which updated today on the Wii U (and 3DS I assume but I didn't see an update yet), adds a few tweaks to sentences, and that's usually all it is when they change things. The main one, I think, at least according to the NNSA that's on Nintendo's website, still dated Sept. 30, 2013, is adding, under Use of Information, the following, "We may collect, use and disclose personal information that (a) you provide to us; (b) we collect automatically; and (c) we receive from other sources."

They also added a phrase under Network Services saying if you access Nintendo Network services outside of the US, Canada or certain other countries in the Americas, or if you set your console region as one of those countries, you are bound by the agreement.

There's been plenty of talk on the web about how Nintendo has given itself the right to use anything you do, say, or publish using one of their devices for whatever purpose they want forever, but that hasn't changed. You still "own your user content", as per the agreement, but they can still use your Miiverse posts or screencaps in advertisements or whatever if they want.

Of course, I still hit Agree. There are games to play.

• Locked thread