Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

This is so weird. It definitely seems to be the norm for all of the digital titles that they have no visibility at all and are just dumped on the marketplace with no warning or major announcement. Maybe there are banner tiles if you visit the store that I've missed, but it seems like a poor way to generate sales.

So they can say they failed and cut funding for further development or maybe avoid paying out any bonuses promised to third party exclusive developers when they realise their dogshit console doesn't have the userbase required to support their retarded panic spending on games nobody cares about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.

Bobtista posted:

So they can say they failed and cut funding for further development or maybe avoid paying out any bonuses promised to third party exclusive developers when they realise their dogshit console doesn't have the userbase required to support their retarded panic spending on games nobody cares about?

So, basically choking their baby in the cradle? I really can't separate incompetence from malice any more. Seriously, the last thing Microsoft needs is less devs making exclusives for them. They should be holding onto those for dear life instead of dropping them like hot potatoes.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Gatac posted:

So, basically choking their baby in the cradle?

:eyepop:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

It's a common figure of speech.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.

circ dick soleil posted:

It's a common figure of speech.

I think the canonical version is "smothered in the crib", but I make no claim to being an authority on baby-murder similes.

Seriously, though, Microsoft should be promoting the poo poo out of its digital exclusives. Even if it's a moneysink now, the kinds of sales they're getting from their current strategy are sure to drive up the price for buying any further games for the console, as nobody will want to make games for a system that has proven it won't make you your money back. People need to want to make games for your system, full stop. If all you can do is keep paying up front for exclusives and get second place on multiplats, you're hovering at the "has to pay for vanity press" level of commercial and artistic failure. My apologies to frustrated authors if this figure of speech caused offense.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
What surprises me is that it's not like it was overlooked because it's in the shadow of a huge title amongst a crowded schedule. It's such a sparse calendar on every console right now that there's no shortage of time windows to give each and every title a lot of advertising focus. There's no reason every title shouldn't get a lot of attention right now, even the mediocre ones.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It is almost like Microsoft has no idea what the hell they are doing.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
What's the difference between a pile of dead babies and a Lamborghini?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

circ dick soleil posted:

I'ma get all up in the latter on Tuesday in Forza Horizon 2 for the Xbox One, the All In One video game system from Microsoft.

Teresa Heinz-Kirby
Jan 2, 2007

i was here first i had a reservation
Because of your past behavior, you can't Xbox Live Gold is required to use the former for Xbox One

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Even the news that uk bone sales beat ps4 this week are tainted by the realization that ps4 and 360 continue to beat the poo poo out of the bone in software sales on almost every game.

Xbox 360 outselling the one versions in 2017 is going to be pretty funny though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

circ dick soleil posted:

I thought I knew the answer but I just tested and Kinect signed them both in.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao even links to the old hidden thread

Teresa Heinz-Kirby
Jan 2, 2007

i was here first i had a reservation
Mods please link that banner ad to page 792 of this thread

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Even the news that uk bone sales beat ps4 this week are tainted by the realization that ps4 and 360 continue to beat the poo poo out of the bone in software sales on almost every game.

Xbox 360 outselling the one versions in 2017 is going to be pretty funny though.

I looked this up and as far as I can tell, Xbone releases are already outselling 360 releases, even though the Xbone has 1/10th the install base. Destiny sells 2:1 on PS4:Xbone, but it also sells 3:1 on Xbone:360, and 5:1 on Xbone:PS3. Madden also sold better on the Xbone than the 360 (slightly) and so did NHL.

I just bought D4, but its dismal sales are due to how loving terribly it was marketed due to a lack of an install base. There are as many Xbones now as were 360s (or PS3s) at this point in those consoles' timelines.

VVV: Am I missing something? It's hard to tell in this thread who is just threadshitting and who is actually posting. Anyway I was surprised that the PS4 and Xbone versions are already outselling their massively-better-installed last gen counterparts.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 29, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Saladman posted:

I looked this up
lol

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Saladman posted:

I looked this up

haha

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Saladman posted:

I looked this up

lmao

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Saladman posted:

I looked this up and as far as I can tell, Xbone releases are already outselling 360 releases, even though the Xbone has 1/10th the install base. Destiny sells 2:1 on PS4:Xbone, but it also sells 3:1 on Xbone:360, and 5:1 on Xbone:PS3. Madden also sold better on the Xbone than the 360 (slightly) and so did NHL.

He could be referring to "in the U.K." where the old consoles definitely have more leverage; the PS3 version of FIFA 15 is the current #1 seller on Amazon UK and even its regular Wii version is outselling Driveclub. :eyepop:

Destiny is a bit of a weird case. On top of being massively pitched as a next gen game, there's also the whole "digital copies of the ps3/360 versions give you the next gen version for free", a deal which isn't extended to the physical copies, and I could see a lot of people having bailed on a planned physical purchase to get the game that way instead.

EDIT gently caress, I just realized I got tricked into looking it up. Saladman :argh:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Saladman posted:

Am I missing something?

Maybe you should look it up?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I just looked it up

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Is that sold-in or sold-through?

I guess I'll have to look it up.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is it not possible for us to just quote and laugh at something without running it into the ground?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Awesome! posted:

is it not possible for us to just quote and laugh at something without running it into the ground?

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Awesome! posted:

:goonsay:

Hold on, we should ask Deak.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

we all live and learn

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Awesome! posted:

1079 pages says no

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

fisheyel83l posted:

Mods please link that banner ad to goatse.info

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

He could be referring to "in the U.K." where the old consoles definitely have more leverage; the PS3 version of FIFA 15 is the current #1 seller on Amazon UK and even its regular Wii version is outselling Driveclub. :eyepop:

Destiny is a bit of a weird case. On top of being massively pitched as a next gen game, there's also the whole "digital copies of the ps3/360 versions give you the next gen version for free", a deal which isn't extended to the physical copies, and I could see a lot of people having bailed on a planned physical purchase to get the game that way instead.

EDIT gently caress, I just realized I got tricked into looking it up. Saladman :argh:

Yah referring to article posted on previous page

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
I just looked it up and I can now say I am Officially Excited for Sunset Overdrive.

The all new exclusive to the XBOX One: The all-in-one entertainment system from Microsoft.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

CheeseFactory posted:

I just looked it up and I can now say I am Officially Excited for Sunset Overdrive.

The all new exclusive to the XBOX One: The all-in-one entertainment system from Microsoft.

:lol: poo poo dude!!!!!

I bought D4, its a good game and easily worth the fifteen bux.

In regards to it's strange reveal and instant release, apparently - according to neogaf - that nutter Swery 'wanted to do a Steve Jobs'. I have no idea if that's what the article actually says as my computer only displays the website as a bunch of crazy characters that aren't proper American letters.

neogaf posted:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140918_667331.html

Swery explained the surprise release, "TGS is the best place to highlight D4 that has been developped in Japan. Also, I wanted to do like Steve Jobs."
Releasing in Japan at around 9AM tomorrow. (5PM Thursday PDT, 8PM Thursday EDT, 1AM Friday BST)

It kind of received the same amount of advertising and publicity as every indie release. For example it released at the same time as Flockers which I bet no one bought or knows about. What it really needed was a proper build up in the media with early review copies and previews, which it seemed to have about 6+ months ago for some reason...

Maybe it was delayed?

I imagine it will be perfect for games with gold. If they just give away the prologue and chapter one, hopefully that will get a few people to put down money for the second chapter which will in turn make swery create further episodes. Did deadly premonition get much promo? I only heard of that game through these here forums.

Crafty fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 30, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

King Burgundy posted:

This is so weird. It definitely seems to be the norm for all of the digital titles that they have no visibility at all and are just dumped on the marketplace with no warning or major announcement. Maybe there are banner tiles if you visit the store that I've missed, but it seems like a poor way to generate sales.

Project Spark is at least getting a "physical" release. Even though it's just the F2P game with $40 of the microtransactions included :lol: I can forsee a few people getting mad that they were "tricked" into spending $40 on a game they could have got free from the marketplace.

I wonder if they'll start bundling it with every sale of Minecraft as well.

CheeseFactory posted:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is horseshit now. Good job.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
At least people post in it now.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
This thread used to be really good.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

circ dick soleil posted:

This thread used to be really good at being not good.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This thread is horseshit now. Good job.

Just like Microsoft.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
This is now the Xbone of threads.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

circ dick soleil posted:

This thread used to be really good.

Do you mean this thread or the other thread

Because neither

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

This is now the Xbone of threads.

Good to know that in a year of patching it'll have baseline functionality the previous thread had.

• Locked thread