Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
also for people that want copying in cmd.exe right now, go into its preferences and turn on 'quick edit mode' then right click (or maybe its middle click, i can't remember) will paste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

minivanmegafun posted:

taking shaggar's bait for some reason.

okay, so what should be used instead? powershell is indeed trash, but it's better than diarrhea (cmd.exe) or slightly firm poop (vbs)

shells are a false need. powershell exists because people wanted a shell for no reason so Microsoft made one. then no one used it because it was pointless so Microsoft forced people to start using it by removing features from UIs and sticking them in powershell.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

trying to force you to build your own powershell-driven gui for exchange instead of just doing the work for you was dumb as gently caress but powershell itself is fine, makes it much easier to pull wmi data and isn't an abject horror like vbs for all the normal scripting poo poo you need to do as a computar janitor

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
somebody pls photoshop a character from that Winx Club show for little girls so that it has ballmer's face on it tia

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

also for people that want copying in cmd.exe right now, go into its preferences and turn on 'quick edit mode' then right click (or maybe its middle click, i can't remember) will paste

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mr Dog posted:

somebody pls photoshop a character from that Winx Club show for little girls so that it has ballmer's face on it tia

i wouldn't know i'm not a pedophile

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

my grade 5 teacher would tell us this story about a fish he saw repeatedly swimming head-first into a rock. i bet it was pretty funny to see the first few times, but he said it's head started to bust apart. that's microsoft basically. funny at first but honestly it's aggravating. cause here we are above the surface of the water and we can see exactly what's going wrong and what they need to do, but they can't.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

that was my thoughts on the new feature of pasting in cmd also

quote:

What should the name of the new Windows be? It wouldn't be right to call it Windows 9. Windows One? But unfortunately, Windows 1 has been done. That new Windows is Windows 10.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Xbox 1 had also already been done according to anybody without a marketing degree for a brain but that sure didn't stop them

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if every other version of windows is bad then this seems like a bad call

XP - good
vista - bad
7 - good
8 - bad
ghost of 9 - good
10 - bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
also I'm saying it like windex without the d

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
maybe windows 8.1 will take off it's moustache revealing itself to be windows 9 the entire time.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

The Management posted:

if every other version of windows is bad then this seems like a bad call

XP - good
vista - bad
7 - good
8 - bad
ghost of 9 - good
10 - bad
no you see they figured 8.1 was the best windows release because 7 was good and 8 was bad

so it was natural for them to skip 9, "the bad one"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
caught up on ms news

all I can say is

lol

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i thought it was pretty charitable to add the lil kinect picture in that one slide

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

i thought it was pretty charitable to add the lil kinect picture in that one slide

I bet the xbone is going to get an update to run WinX and you're going to see more windows branding there for the sake of unification

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
also winx sounds like winks which is something a butthole can do

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I bet the xbone is going to get an update to run WinX and you're going to see more windows branding there for the sake of unification
certain places have seen the kinect next to a monitor and are running with it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

wouldn't be a unified experience without it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

waiting for windows 11 "good for real this time... please believe us" for professionals

Whizbat!
Jan 22, 2004
Fun Shoe
Now is the Windows of my discontent.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

wouldn't be a unified experience without it

they said the same thing about win8 on the xbone and while its running the same kernel they really pulled their punches and stayed away from the windows branding

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Whizbat! posted:

i appreciate this.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Maybe they just wanted to avoid the obvious WINDOWS NEIN joke?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Whizbat! posted:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NI5fjTfpQ

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Generic Monk posted:

i seriously don't understand how they could've changed so little in 2 years. like, it boggles the mind how they could've had a team of people working on this and changed/added so little

im not sure you realize how many meetings upon meetings about meetings it took to admit that windows 8 (my balls) was loving idiot garbge

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Holy poo poo they're seriously trying to rebound from 8 by jumping straight to another even-numbered version. What in the gently caress is going on at microsoft that getting rid of ballmer left the company dumber

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they said the same thing about win8 on the xbone and while its running the same kernel they really pulled their punches and stayed away from the windows branding

i guess it's literally true that there isn't windows branding on here, but c'mon

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

what's the likelyhood they're still using windows 7 icons at launch

it looks like such an absolute clusterfuck visually

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm the completely random mix of icon styles

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

can we just go back to windows 3.1 full circle ui

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fabricated posted:

I'm the completely random mix of icon styles

o hi friend

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i'm the uneven spacing between items on the right side of the taskbar

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol that flat folder holder looks so bad

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

jfc microsoft :negative:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Geez what a god damned mess. piss mess. piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
im the store live tile that's also the taskbar short cut, or maybe the games one that's also in the start menu im not sure yet

• Locked thread