Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

The extension cord knot is a good idea

When the cable gets pulled tight the knot puts major strain on the plugs and can damage them. Not a big deal for a cheap alarm clock, matters a bit more for an arc welder or a dialysis machine. If you have this issue with a dialysis machine then you should #lifehack your way down to the local hardware store and buy a proper extension cord connector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Lifehack: Don't dangle your power tools (or dialysis machine) by the cord, with or without a knot in the cord.

Seriously though, the cord knot has been the accepted method of joining two cords pretty much since extension cords were invented. Extension cords are only supposed to be used temporarily, so the things designed to be used with extension cords (tools, outdoor power equipment) tend to have heavier duty cords (beyond just having thicker gauge wiring) and the same applies to outdoor extension cords. Besides, under proper usage*, the knot will only be supporting the weight of the extension cord, which keeps the plug from coming half-undone and shorting on something. If you have a strain relief connector, go ahead and use it; but unless you're a complete mouth-breathing gorilla trying to hoist a table saw to the second story using the extension cord, you should be fine.

*If you aren't using poo poo properly, you're going to find some other way to kill yourself anyway.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

quote:

So your pitching in next time she needs a new straighter right?
Haha what? How do you make that typo when the word's right there in the loving image?

Also, "your". These things drive me crazier than the hacks themselves.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
#lifehack: Buy a goddamn clothes iron.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Don't have an ironing board but need to press your clothes in a hurry? Dump your trousers on the floor and iron them on the floor where they will get covered in animal hair #lifehax

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Don't have an ironing board but need to press your clothes in a hurry? Dump your trousers on the floor and iron them on the floor where they will get covered in animal hair #lifehax
If you're in a real hurry, iron your clothes while you're wearing them! Just don't lean into the iron and you'll be fine. #smoove

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Davros1 posted:

I like the guilt free, healthy banana ice cream. Chill two bananas for an hour, then shove 'em in a bender with milk!

Then it suggests adding chocolate chips. So much for guilt free and healthy.

I like how commercial treat Yonana is now a lifehack.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Hirayuki posted:

If you're in a real hurry, iron your clothes while you're wearing them! Just don't lean into the iron and you'll be fine. #smoove

Also keeps you warm in the winter.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

kinmik posted:

Haha what? How do you make that typo when the word's right there in the loving image?

Also, collar stiffeners are a thing...

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't see the problem. I don't go to any party unless a stranger makes me but mystery things in my mouth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something tells me that one's not real but maybe I'm having too much faith in humanity.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

You can't fool me, I saw how that worked out for John Smoltz

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I have this book. It has very good life hacks, many involving corn flake boxes and sellotape.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Don't have an ironing board but need to press your clothes in a hurry? Dump your trousers on the floor and iron them on the floor like a animal, you piece of poo poo

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
enough with that animal piece of poo poo nonsense everyone jesus christ

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I hadn't done it yet, it was my turn t:mad:>

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

axolotl farmer posted:

I have this book. It has very good life hacks, many involving corn flake boxes and sellotape.

My favourite Top Tip will always be the infamous "Don't feel like getting up for work? Call in a bomb threat and have a free day off..." which got a visit from the anti terrorism squad who made him promise never to publish it again.

Two days later he realises it was already included in the annual and the first print run was on it's way. Ended up with him having to add a few thousand "Top Tip: if you're editing a magazine and publish something that gets you a police visit, don't be a dickhead and publish it for a second time..." stickers by hand in that first run of annuals.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

kinmik posted:

This is a good way to set a stain in a collar! So if you love funky neck crust marks, this is the hack for you.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

niethan posted:

enough with that animal piece of poo poo nonsense everyone jesus christ

Especially when FoodNetwerk had so many other shining gems of advice for us all

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Need to press some wrinkly clothes in a hurry? Fold them flat and put them in the microwave for 3 minutes along with a damp paper towel. Just as good as ironing!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Need to press some wrinkly clothes in a hurry? Fold them flat and put them in the microwave for 3 minutes along with a damp paper towel. Just as good as ironing!

Or, you know, if you want to get cleaned up first, there's always closing the bathroom door and running a really hot shower for a while after hanging the clothes in the bathroom.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Life hack: break the simulation, escape your stasis pod, kill the aliens/robots that put you in there, and take over the real universe (see The Matrix, Saints Row 4, Descartes, etc.).

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Everybody's heard that the easiest way to get permanent marker off from smooth surfaces is to draw over the markings with the same marker then wipe it up before the solvent evaporates. Working on the same principle, the best way to get dark stains out of white clothing is to cover it with another dark stain (black spray paint is ideal) then rinse it all out together with vinegar before the new stain sets.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Everybody's heard that the easiest way to get permanent marker off from smooth surfaces is to draw over the markings with the same marker then wipe it up before the solvent evaporates. Working on the same principle, the best way to get dark stains out of white clothing is to cover it with another dark stain (black spray paint is ideal) then rinse it all out together with vinegar before the new stain sets.

This one has the added benefit of eliminating the effects of any chemtrails in the area!

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This one has the added benefit of eliminating the effects of any chemtrails in the area!

That's not how you get rid of chemtrails, this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsdeAF_Prfo

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Or, you know, if you want to get cleaned up first, there's always closing the bathroom door and running a really hot shower for a while after hanging the clothes in the bathroom.
That's a big "if".

(But yes, I've used this in hotels on occasion.)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Hirayuki posted:

(But yes, I've used this in hotels on occasion.)

Life hack: Hotel rooms that aren't charged by the hour generally have an iron and ironing board in the closet.

But I leave my shirts hanging on the bathroom door while I shower, because gently caress ironing. :effort: Hell, more than once I've put the shower on full hot, turned the bathroom into a sauna, and waved the shirt just outside the spray.

Or you could wear '70s style polyester and never worry about wrinkled shirts again, with the bonus that you look like a stylish hipster. Gets a bit itchy in warmer climates, though.

Jeherrin posted:

Also, collar stiffeners are a thing...
I have a cheap dress shirt with little plastic tabs sewn into the collar to keep it nice, but it once accidentally went into the dryer, and the heat curled one of them. Now one corner of the collar's at a jaunty angle no matter what I do.

Get shirts with separate collars and cuffs, look like a steampunk douchebag (or Gordon Gekko) instead of a hipster. But hey, at least you'll never have to iron a collar.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It works differently with dry-erase boards. If you accidentally draw on it with permanent marker, you scribble over it with dry erase marker and erase the whole thing. Don't know why it works, but it does. I used to be a teacher, you pick up weird things.

Another stupid but effective life hack I learned is using dry-erase board spray cleaner can kill warts! Which is a little scary, to be frank, since I have no idea what's in it.. I had a huge wart on top of one of my fingers for ages. It was right where the nail came out, and it was so large it left an indention in the middle of my nail for years. I'd gotten it frozen off twice, no dice. Once afternoon I was using some kind of spray cleaner to get rid of dry-erase residue on the board and when I was done I had this chalky white coating all over my fingers. I went to the bathroom and scrubbed it off quickly, no permanent damage done except some dryness for a few days. Within a week, the wart was completely gone. That was 2008, still no sign of it. So if you have warts, soak them in dry-erase board cleaner! (Please don't do this.. I'm sure it's toxic and I just got lucky.)

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

New Leaf posted:

It works differently with dry-erase boards. If you accidentally draw on it with permanent marker, you scribble over it with dry erase marker and erase the whole thing. Don't know why it works, but it does. I used to be a teacher, you pick up weird things.

Another stupid but effective life hack I learned is using dry-erase board spray cleaner can kill warts! Which is a little scary, to be frank, since I have no idea what's in it.. I had a huge wart on top of one of my fingers for ages. It was right where the nail came out, and it was so large it left an indention in the middle of my nail for years. I'd gotten it frozen off twice, no dice. Once afternoon I was using some kind of spray cleaner to get rid of dry-erase residue on the board and when I was done I had this chalky white coating all over my fingers. I went to the bathroom and scrubbed it off quickly, no permanent damage done except some dryness for a few days. Within a week, the wart was completely gone. That was 2008, still no sign of it. So if you have warts, soak them in dry-erase board cleaner! (Please don't do this.. I'm sure it's toxic and I just got lucky.)

Lifehack: Bathe in nuclear/ toxic ooze. You might get lucky and get superpowers! Or incurable cancer.

e: Or both!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Delivery McGee posted:

I have a cheap dress shirt with little plastic tabs sewn into the collar to keep it nice, but it once accidentally went into the dryer, and the heat curled one of them. Now one corner of the collar's at a jaunty angle no matter what I do.
Those are called 'collar stays' to keep the collar pointy and not curl up at the slightest breeze. If the stays are sewn in it's a good sign that you should only dry clean that shirt even if it says it's washing machine or dryer safe. Saves you from looking like an unkempt college grad.

New Leaf posted:

Wart removal tips
My guess is it was the rubbing alcohol in the cleaner that either killed something or something in the cleaner is keratolytic.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

Life hack: Hotel rooms that aren't charged by the hour generally have an iron and ironing board in the closet.
Not in Japan. :negative: Sometimes you can borrow one from the front desk, but A. I never seem to be fit to go out in public when I remember or realize that something needs ironing; B. my clothes can steam while I do other things (multitasking!); and C. gently caress ironing.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I have something that I don't feel comfortable calling a lifehack because it's actually good. But day-old baked goods and throw them in the oven for a few minutes right before you use them. It's a decent simulacrum of freshly baked things! Walla!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
#lifehack reheat old food so it tastes better. Walla!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

EXAKT Science posted:

I have something that I don't feel comfortable calling a lifehack because it's actually good. But day-old baked goods and throw them in the oven for a few minutes right before you use them. It's a decent simulacrum of freshly baked things! Walla!
Microwaving them works really well too. If you have a bagel, for example, that's just a bit on the hard side, 10-20 seconds in the microwave will soften it right up.

This isn't meant to reheat them so you can pretend they were just baked, it helps soften them significantly. Works great for hard sourdough rolls, etc.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Oct 2, 2014

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

SLOSifl posted:

Microwaving them works really well too. If you have a bagel, for example, that's just a bit on the hard side, 10-20 seconds in the microwave will soften it right up.

This isn't meant to reheat them so you can pretend they were just baked, it helps soften them significantly. Works great for hard sourdough rolls, etc.

Also for baked goods that you buy and freeze. They last longer, and are good as new as soon as they're properly thawed.

Robot Jelly
Jul 15, 2007

Bleep Blorp

Hirayuki posted:

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Most dry-erase markers contain acetone, which removes permanent marker stains. Same goes for nail polish remover.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Hey, you know those big wooden paddles people in pizzerias use to get pizzas out of the oven? Apparently they're called "pizza peels", and you can store them using guitar mounts! You know, because that's a thing people usually have in their house. (Or you could go to a hardware store and get a $2 yard tool hook or something, but yeah sure, go for the $30 guitar mount.)

http://lifehacker.com/store-pizza-peels-with-a-guitar-mount-1641823229

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

New Leaf posted:

Hey, you know those big wooden paddles people in pizzerias use to get pizzas out of the oven? Apparently they're called "pizza peels", and you can store them using guitar mounts! You know, because that's a thing people usually have in their house. (Or you could go to a hardware store and get a $2 yard tool hook or something, but yeah sure, go for the $30 guitar mount.)

http://lifehacker.com/store-pizza-peels-with-a-guitar-mount-1641823229

Yeah, put your head right under this thing then and then accidentally bump it.