Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

CJacobs posted:

You can also bonfire ascetic The Gutter if you want, but then you'll have to fight The Rotten again every time.

Actually you ascetic the 1st bonfire in Black Gulch for the 2 giants, not the 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The Giant Lord Soul of a Giant soul was patched out I believe, but I can CONFIRM that farming the two Giants beneath Black Gulch still works, as I did it in order to kill King Vendrick fast (I wanted his shield for my current str/faith set up).

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Inspector_666 posted:

Sorry if this is still verboten or uncouth, but does anybody have a link to a "How to Make Items Using CE for Dummies"? I really fuckin' love the Fume UGS but I've already used all of my dragon bones and its only at +1.

I only just started Ivory King, so if there are bones all over the place like in the previous DLC maybe I'll just suck it up and do it the old fashioned way, but still.

If you just want bones you can ascetic the dragon aerie as many times as you need and go on a sparkle lizard killing spree

vvv edit:

The big wyverns are vulnerable to poison arrows. You're here for loot not honor so gently caress 'em

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 1, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Giant Isopod posted:

If you just want bones you can ascetic the dragon aerie as many times as you need and go on a sparkle lizard killing spree

Unfortunately, said dragons will probably murder me before I can collect. Although, I haven't been there in a while and maybe I can actually beat them now.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Okay, so it looks like the secret to using the Ivory UGS a bunch is to remember that it doesn't degrade so quickly when used one handed. It's still a decent weapon that you can 2-hand if you need some burst DPS.

Also helps to carry a knuckle ring, repair powder, and the repair spell.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Genocyber posted:

The Loyce Greatsword is quite good. It's a greatsword with a rapier poke for its 2handed r2 and 2handed rolling attack.

Yeah, I did notice that. It is by no means enough to justify being the only reward for clearing an area that lovely (yes there's the shield, too, but that has even less going for it.) That's the kind of thing you want an enemy to drop, or find in a chest somewhere.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I did notice that. It is by no means enough to justify being the only reward for clearing an area that lovely (yes there's the shield, too, but that has even less going for it.) That's the kind of thing you want an enemy to drop, or find in a chest somewhere.

Is it different from the burnt version? Because that is a drop in the second boss arena.

Inspector_666 posted:

Unfortunately, said dragons will probably murder me before I can collect. Although, I haven't been there in a while and maybe I can actually beat them now.

The big salamander t-rex things in the Sunken King DLC has a high chance to drop dragon bones.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If I wanted to get a second bone fist without resorting to CE, which bonefire would I have to ascetic? I'm assuming it's outer wall, since it's just before the second bonfire in that area, but I figured I'd check to make sure before having to fight that crap again.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm not quite sure about this but I believe that the only things that are the "golems" that appeared are the large humanoid things that suck souls into them if you kill something near them, also the things that make the bridge at the end of the game.

Edit: captain Drummond tells us that the golems appeared after the king pillaged the land of the Giants.

According to the ironclad armor item description http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/ironclad-armor they were created by the old iron King, which would be before vendrick's invasion.

And the ruin sentinel soul tells us it is a "creation of the jailer" http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/ruin-sentinel-soul
Vendrick had his own Ironclads. The Old Ironclads in FoFG are different from the ones in Iron Keep, and there's an inanimate statue of an Ironclad in Drangleic Castle. There's also Ruin Sentinels in Drangleic Castle's basement and Alonne Knight Captains manning its walls. The mammoth guys may be creations of the Gyrm or Pharros, and there are soul-animating golems in Eleum Loyce. I don't think these things just randomly started serving Vendrick because he asked nicely, I think he discovered the secret to making them himself and made his own versions, copying designs used in the past.

Otherwise there's no explanation for Ironclads being in one of Vendrick's forts a bazillion miles from the lands of the Old Iron King.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

If I wanted to get a second bone fist without resorting to CE, which bonefire would I have to ascetic?
The Outer Wall bonfire.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Just in case it hasn't been said enough the Bone Fist is the best weapon and alone justifies the price of the season pass :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nakar posted:

Vendrick had his own Ironclads. The Old Ironclads in FoFG are different from the ones in Iron Keep, and there's an inanimate statue of an Ironclad in Drangleic Castle. There's also Ruin Sentinels in Drangleic Castle's basement and Alonne Knight Captains manning its walls. The mammoth guys may be creations of the Gyrm or Pharros, and there are soul-animating golems in Eleum Loyce. I don't think these things just randomly started serving Vendrick because he asked nicely, I think he discovered the secret to making them himself and made his own versions, copying designs used in the past.

Otherwise there's no explanation for Ironclads being in one of Vendrick's forts a bazillion miles from the lands of the Old Iron King.

The interesting thing to me is that the golems and the Iron Golem both have the same feature of a giant hole in their chests.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Tracula posted:

Just in case it hasn't been said enough the Bone Fist is the best weapon and alone justifies the price of the season pass :allears:

Is there a good build yet that will allow me to powerstance them? I already got two of them (used an ascetic on the first bonfire in the DLC and can confirm it respawns. Not sure about using the outer wall bonfire.) and upgraded one to +5. Now that I'm done with all the DLC I can finally start my NG+ run and want to do the whole game as Heihachi.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

used an ascetic on the first bonfire in the DLC and can confirm it respawns. Not sure about using the outer wall bonfire.
The first bonfire in the DLC is Outer Wall.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

RBA Starblade posted:

The interesting thing to me is that the golems and the Iron Golem both have the same feature of a giant hole in their chests.
The Giants also have holes in their faces, as does the Smelter Demon. Kinda weird, not sure what that means exactly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nakar posted:

Alonne Knights are just guys in armor, you can't exactly throw stuff into a smelter to make one. Though I thought there was some item description somewhere that says the Iron King sent Vendrick Ironclads for his war against the giants. Could be making that up though.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Is the Ivory King the only one who wasn't somehow tricked or otherwise a dick? Vendrick stole something from the giants and was manipulated by Nashandra, the Iron King dug too deep too fast and the Smelter Demon killed him, and I seem to recall the Sunken King having done something foolish as well with Sinh. Far as I can tell the Ivory King was only trying to contain Chaos and was corrupted for it, making whats-her-name freeze over the city to contain it all.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Manatee Cannon posted:

Alonne Knights are just guys in armor, you can't exactly throw stuff into a smelter to make one. Though I thought there was some item description somewhere that says the Iron King sent Vendrick Ironclads for his war against the giants. Could be making that up though.
Alonne Knights are not human. Human enemies make certain sounds when idle or getting hit and Alonne Knights don't. I'm pretty sure they're animated suits of armor, just like the Ironclads, or were once human or humanish but have become "consumed by the flames" like Black Knights.

Admittedly I don't recall proof of a statue of one in Drangleic Castle to suggest one that hadn't been animated, but I don't see why Vendrick would have a detachment of Alonne Knight Captains either, the king was long gone by the time Vendrick conquered Drangleic.

Ironclads are assuredly golems though. Old Ironclad set description says "One day, warriors wearing decrepit armor emerged from Drangleic Castle, and quietly assumed positions amongst the royal army. not one of them ever spoke a word, or revealed the face under the mask." The regular Ironclad set from IK reads "The Ironclad Soldiers were minions created by the Old Iron King, their life granted by an enchantment of souls. By now this is again an iron husk, and fit to wear." Ruin Sentinel armor says "Armor worn by the jailer's creation, the Ruin Sentinel. The sentinel has no form, its soul residing within the armor itself. Stare at it for long and it seems ready to spring to life, but surely, such is an illusion." And the Mastodon guys' armor says "Helm/Armor/Gauntlets/Leggings worn by the Primal Knights of Drangleic castle. Their weight would normally crush a man, but the Primal Knights wear them as if they were silk, so fearsome is their brutal strength. The King restored a forbidden, long-lost art to create these inhuman abominations."

So given the way they sound non-human and everything I think the Alonne Knights are (or at least are now) inanimate suits of armor animated by a lost soul art, or at least Vendrick's versions are. Ironclads, Primal Knights, and Ruin Sentinels are explicitly formless and bound to armor, and the Old Ironclad set makes it clear that they originated from Castle Drangleic.

Tracula posted:

Is the Ivory King the only one who wasn't somehow tricked or otherwise a dick? Vendrick stole something from the giants and was manipulated by Nashandra, the Iron King dug too deep too fast and the Smelter Demon killed him, and I seem to recall the Sunken King having done something foolish as well with Sinh. Far as I can tell the Ivory King was only trying to contain Chaos and was corrupted for it, making whats-her-name freeze over the city to contain it all.
The Ivory King is basically a direct Gwyn analogue (who uses the visuals of the Bed of Chaos instead), the Old Iron King is more of a Witch of Izalith analogue with Gwyn trappings (discovered a "new flame" that consumed him), and the Sunken King is I guess sort of like Nito in that he isolated his society in order to contain a deadly miasma.

The thematic stuff in the Ivory King DLC makes it my favorite of the three. It's both Anor Londo and Boletarian Palace. Hell, there's even black and silver Loyce Knights!

Nakar fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 1, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It wasn't the king that hosed with Sinh, it was Yorgh and his knights. The king and his city were just casualties of the knights pissing off a giant poison dragon. In fact the description Yorgh's Spear claims Yorgh killed the king himself.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Manatee Cannon posted:

It wasn't the king that hosed with Sinh, it was Yorgh and his knights. The king and his city were just casualties of the knights pissing off a giant poison dragon. In fact the description Yorgh's Spear claims Yorgh killed the king himself.

Ah, okay. My bad there. My memory was hazy on what exactly happened in the first DLC.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah the Sunken King built the city to worship the dragon, then the rear end in a top hat Drakeblood dudes (from Drangleic going by the design on their cape) came and tried to kill it for its blood, waking it up and making it spew poison everywhere.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Wait, guys, let me know if I'm getting this straight. To open the path to Alsanna in the Grand Cathedral, I need 50 Loyce Souls. And their drop rate is incredibly low. Is there any particular reason I should subject myself to this time sink?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Wait, guys, let me know if I'm getting this straight. To open the path to Alsanna in the Grand Cathedral, I need 50 Loyce Souls. And their drop rate is incredibly low. Is there any particular reason I should subject myself to this time sink?

If you want to legitimately get the Loyce armor, yes. If you just want her soul you can apparently kill her with a greatbow if you can aim properly.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Time to get ready to plop a summon sign down by the Ivory King boss fight and hope for the best, dude!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Gologle posted:

Time to get ready to plop a summon sign down by the Ivory King boss fight and hope for the best, dude!

Or you can jump back down to the boss room. If you froze the gates they'll be open again and you can kill the Knights for their souls and armor.
Still hardly worth it.

Online probably works better, honestly.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

IGgy IGsen posted:

Or you can jump back down to the boss room. If you froze the gates they'll be open again and you can kill the Knights for their souls and armor.
Still hardly worth it.

The most fun part is when the host dies and you notice a drop and sprint through all the dudes trying to make it to the loot on time.

Also if you place a summon sign outside the gate then drop down to farm them by yourself and are summoned while farming, a new wave will spawn when you come back. This can be either convenient, or murderous, depending on how many you've killed.

Does the gold serpent ring / item find gear work when you are a white phantom, or is their drop chance tied to the host?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Right now I'm okay with it because the fight is a lot of fun, and since nobody can figure out the silver knight thing there's no shortage of drops.

I imagine it's going to really drag the longer it takes though.

Though I did get summoned by someone who had apparently managed to get 50 already (the way to the queen was open) and was still having trouble.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Giant Isopod posted:

Does the gold serpent ring / item find gear work when you are a white phantom, or is their drop chance tied to the host?

Pretty sure it's tied to you, other people can't see your drops and vice versa.

Gestalt Illusion
May 28, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

If you're not getting summoned often it's a huge pain in the rear end. I got invaded a fuckload and went from 4kk to 6kk soul memory.

I do not recommend it to anyone. :shepicide:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gestalt Illusion posted:

If you're not getting summoned often it's a huge pain in the rear end. I got invaded a fuckload and went from 4kk to 6kk soul memory.

I do not recommend it to anyone. :shepicide:

Go hand in all your round poo poo to the crows already :colbert:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Dyna and Tillo are going to implode from all the nice and smoothness.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Can't quite believe it but while Sunbroing for grinding for Loyce souls we actually managed to beat the Ivory King with one knight. Twice. I imagine the dudes must be so happy but will be facepalming when they work out how its supposed to be done.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
It's kind of hard to imagine someone not going back to explore the area for all its loot after trying and failing the fight once or twice but those people apparently exist in spades because I got summoned to the same dude's game about five times now. I kinda want there to be a "just go get the other knights" emote because I'm too lazy to type.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Senethro posted:

Can't quite believe it but while Sunbroing for grinding for Loyce souls we actually managed to beat the Ivory King with one knight. Twice. I imagine the dudes must be so happy but will be facepalming when they work out how its supposed to be done.

If you have a competent host who can dodge the Ivory King it's not so bad 'cuz you can split up the additional knights with another summon (or by yourself) with a strong weapon to keep them off the host while he fucks up the Ivory King.

It's really easy with two phantoms, even since two of 'em can focus on either the Ivory King or the knights and the presence of three targets leaves a lot more time for healing leeway.

Also, Alsanna is a real nice lady. She just wishes you luck and gives you her dang soul when you get the Loyce Souls to reach her!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

IGgy IGsen posted:

It's kind of hard to imagine someone not going back to explore the area for all its loot after trying and failing the fight once or twice but those people apparently exist in spades because I got summoned to the same dude's game about five times now. I kinda want there to be a "just go get the other knights" emote because I'm too lazy to type.

Yeah, I don't get how people don't at least have 1-2 additional knights for that fight and so often only go with one. :psyduck: I can't help but wonder if they were so determined to do every fight RIGHT AWAY that they brute forced the invisible tiger.

Fereydun posted:

If you have a competent host who can dodge the Ivory King it's not so bad 'cuz you can split up the additional knights with another summon (or by yourself) with a strong weapon to keep them off the host while he fucks up the Ivory King.

It's really easy with two phantoms, even since two of 'em can focus on either the Ivory King or the knights and the presence of three targets leaves a lot more time for healing leeway.

Also, Alsanna is a real nice lady. She just wishes you luck and gives you her dang soul when you get the Loyce Souls to reach her!

What is this "Competent Host" you speak of and where can I find one?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Honestly it's easier by yourself because you can kill everything so much faster, it's just also terrible.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Honestly it's easier by yourself because you can kill everything so much faster, it's just also terrible.

It is a really bad fight.

I liked this DLC the least of the three. The hitboxes on a lot of the enemies felt really wonky, same with the hit timing. The whole thing looks amazing, but I didn't enjoy playing it very much. It was kind of a let down of a last DLC pack for me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel the same for the most part, it had a lot of cool ideas though. I hope they can make them work better in Dark Souls 3 or whatever this team works on next.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Tracula posted:

I'm probably reading waaaay too much into a videogame story, but I think each of Manus's "daughters" embody some type of human emotion or want. Alsanna's is fear, and probably went there to feed off of it. But when she met the king, he made her feel safe and freed her from her own fear, so now she wants to honor his memory by keeping the realm of chaos contained even though there's really nobody left. The few times she tries to tell you to leave, it's out of trying to keep you from being hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Manatee Cannon posted:

I feel the same for the most part, it had a lot of cool ideas though. I hope they can make them work better in Dark Souls 3 or whatever this team works on next.

Gonna say the Frigid Outskirts was a bad idea to begin with. Then again, I tend to think that blinding areas are always bad.