Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

windows preview status: prepping for release

my body is ready satya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

they named the ninth windows windows 10

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

qirex posted:

real talk icons are really hard to make and windows probably has several thousand in the queue

well why don't they spend 2.5 billion to hire a bunch of artists and designers to unify them?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

fix eta 2015

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
what version of windows is this actually if you forget the naming schemes

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i miss the old windows flag logo BRING IT BACK!!!!

the new logo is boring 😴

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

qirex posted:

real talk icons are really hard to make and windows probably has several thousand in the queue

also even if they do do this it won't fix the underlying problem, which is that their ui needs to look good regardless of a mix of horrible icon styles, whether they're windows' own or they're produced by third parties for prior windows versions

this is a difficult, but not impossible task, at which they've abjectly failed

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Fib posted:

PXE Boot would be a great name for a girl band though??!

yes

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
ill start the band's wikipedia

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

theadder posted:

fix eta 2015

maybe in 10 years the windows shell will have caught up with the state of current linux shells

i, on my linux desktop, can execute arbitrary code on a linux web server using bash. can u do that with windows computers and windows web servers

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
wait yeah that was activex, i think.

man, those were the days.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yes, but bash has had that feature longer than even activex existed so way to play catchup again ms lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fabricated posted:

seriously why the gently caress does microsoft never just produce a whole set of new icons for each release when thats probably the cheapest thing to do of all the stupid poo poo that needs fixed

they know it doesn't really matter since software makers won't bring their icons in line with microsoft's grand new ui vision anyway, so they're halfassing it cause they know it'll look like poo poo with clashing icon styles no matter what

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

born on a buy you posted:

is there any topic you're not an absolute moron about?
get your own av, gaylord :mad:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PleasureKevin posted:

who's on 8?

no, no, who's on 7

what?

whats on xp

ii oh el
Jan 9, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

they know it doesn't really matter since software makers won't bring their icons in line with microsoft's grand new ui vision anyway, so they're halfassing it cause they know it'll look like poo poo with clashing icon styles no matter what

don't they have a shitton of v dashes to do these types of things or are they still on 6 months leave?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

graph posted:

what?

whats on xp

how's on chromeos

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

then they can just do a flashpoint thingy where they bring back all of the old poo poo

so there's no punching that changes reality? :eng99:

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

how's on chromeos

i like how

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

who made the joke about old rear end enterprise programs checking for 'windows 9*'?

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2hwlrk/new_windows_version_will_be_called_windows_10/ckwq83x

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'm going to need confirmation from somewhere but that makes too much sense

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

someone repost the sim city story tia

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Miley Virus posted:

someone repost the sim city story tia

which was this

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blackula69 posted:

which was this

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000054.html

quote:

Windows 95? No problem. Nice new 32 bit API, but it still ran old 16 bit software perfectly. Microsoft obsessed about this, spending a big chunk of change testing every old program they could find with Windows 95. Jon Ross, who wrote the original version of SimCity for Windows 3.x, told me that he accidentally left a bug in SimCity where he read memory that he had just freed. Yep. It worked fine on Windows 3.x, because the memory never went anywhere. Here's the amazing part: On beta versions of Windows 95, SimCity wasn't working in testing. Microsoft tracked down the bug and added specific code to Windows 95 that looks for SimCity. If it finds SimCity running, it runs the memory allocator in a special mode that doesn't free memory right away. That's the kind of obsession with backward compatibility that made people willing to upgrade to Windows 95.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that is the exact kind of enabling behavior that turns your platform into a swamp of diarrhea and piss

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

oh right, that old thing. thought they meant about the new game

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

GetVersion and GetVersionEx return major and minor versions, but no API returns an actual product name string as far as I'm aware. Also the internal version numbers have nothing to with the marketing "version number" (Vista is 6.0, Seven is 6.1). Consider what a ballache this would be with internationalisation thrown in the mix, for instance.

so yeah just gonna file this one under Re: RE: RE: Fwd: FWD: FWD: Re: Fwd: FWD: FWD: FWD: LOL!!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

fleshweasel posted:

a swamp of diarrhea and piss
yospos bithc

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr Dog posted:

GetVersion and GetVersionEx return major and minor versions, but no API returns an actual product name string as far as I'm aware. Also the internal version numbers have nothing to with the marketing "version number" (Vista is 6.0, Seven is 6.1). Consider what a ballache this would be with internationalisation thrown in the mix, for instance.

so yeah just gonna file this one under Re: RE: RE: Fwd: FWD: FWD: Re: Fwd: FWD: FWD: FWD: LOL!!

sadly, this

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

fleshweasel posted:

that is the exact kind of enabling behavior that turns your platform into a swamp of diarrhea and piss

which is hilarious because he is giving that as an example of why windows is great, also he chastises processor companies for having the temerity to create architectures other than x86 which is lol

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
I can't believe the amount of drop shadow in win10

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

they should have broke compatibility right there, nobody was going to switch to os/2 or system 7 anyways

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I can't believe the amount of drop shadow in win10
of all the things to copy from OS X

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it's also funny how he argues that to be a successful platform you need to run software for whatever is the most popular platform, a strategy which pretty much tanked os/2

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

a strategy which pretty much tanked os/2

i would like to know more, i remember os/2 tv ads but never used the actual os and by the time i became competent enough at computers, os/2 was long gone

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

univbee posted:

i would like to know more, i remember os/2 tv ads but never used the actual os and by the time i became competent enough at computers, os/2 was long gone

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/11/half-an-operating-system-the-triumph-and-tragedy-of-os2/

quote:

OS/2 had the best DOS virtual machine ever seen at the time. It was so good that you could easily run DOS games fullscreen while multitasking in the background, and many games (like Wing Commander) even worked in a 320x200 window. OS/2’s DOS box was so good that you could run an entire copy of Windows inside it, and thanks to IBM’s separation agreement with Microsoft, each copy of OS/2 came bundled with something IBM called “Win-OS2.” It was essentially a free copy of Windows that ran either full-screen or windowed. If you had enough RAM, you could run each Windows app in a completely separate virtual machine running its own copy of Windows, so a single app crash wouldn’t take down any of the others.

This was a really cool feature, but it made it simple for GUI application developers to decide which operating system to support. OS/2 ran Windows apps really well out of the box, so they could just write a Windows app and both platforms would be able to run that app. On the other hand, writing a native OS/2 application was a lot of work for Windows developers. The underlying application programming interfaces (APIs) were very different between the two: Windows used a barebones set of APIs called Win16, while OS/2 had a more expansive set with the unwieldy name of Presentation Manager. The two differed in many ways, even in terms of whether you counted the number of pixels to position a window from the top or from the bottom of the screen.

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 1, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

e: yeah that

off the top of my head, the problem was partly that after the ibm pc was cloned all to hell, ibm wanted to make their own locked in platform in the ps/2, so they took os/2, which had until that point been a collaboration between microsoft and ibm, and shut ms out completely so they could restrict os/2 to the ps/2 line.

however, in order to speed adoption, they left in the compatibility layer that allowed os/2 to run windows 3.1 programs. they thought that everyone would buy a ps/2 to get the best of both os/2 and windows software, thereby encouraging more developers to make native os/2 apps. instead, developers saw that they could get both os/2 and windows users to buy their software just by making a windows version, and users saw how much more software was made for windows than os/2 and bought pcs.

now os/2 is dead. it's one of the clearest lessons from computer history but so many people miss it (see: blackberry running android apps)

carry on then fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 1, 2014

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Kilroy posted:

get your own av, gaylord :mad:

had this one before you bro, and it's way more appropriate for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

someone doesn't want to post so here we go:

windows 10 tech preview:

bing with autocomplete in the search widget you can't remove. can't disable bing either:

comparison with 8.1 on left.

oh and this poo poo is also on by default on the enterprise version:

• Locked thread