Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

jackpot posted:

So I'm heading this weekend to a Verizon store to upgrade to a 6, and I want this; I'm currently on the same plan as Knifegrab, 2gb, ~$90. When I ask for it do I just ask for the "$60 single line plan"? Also, I'm planning to do the $200 trade-in with my 4s (plus $100 for the 64gb), which is still in great condition. Will I have any trouble combining these two deals?

That's exactly what I asked for, and in the process of switching me over and upgrading to a 6, she asked me if I wanted to trade in my old phone. So anecdotally at least, you should be good to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

compton rear end terry posted:

Do Verizon android phones still suck at group/mms messaging? I'm up for an upgrade, but I googled "LG g3 mms verizon" and lots of people having issues or wonky works arounds like turning off wifi.

Hangouts is the only app I've used that handled group MMS well. I've never had a problem with it on the three devices I use it on (Note 3, Moto X, and G3), even cross platform

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So theoretically if you were being forced into upgrading your phone and had the end of the day to decide which android phone to grab, which one would you and why?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
New Moto X, because the Droid Turbo isn't out yet.

Nothin' against the GS5, that's easily my second-pick.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

redstormpopcorn posted:

New Moto X, because the Droid Turbo isn't out yet.

Nothin' against the GS5, that's easily my second-pick.

Yeah this pretty much. My only qualm with the GS5 is touchwiz

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Asema posted:

So theoretically if you were being forced into upgrading your phone and had the end of the day to decide which android phone to grab, which one would you and why?
I just got an HTC One M8 and I kinda wish I had a G3 or the new Moto X.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

I just got an HTC One M8 and I kinda wish I had a G3 or the new Moto X.

Why do you say that? I currently have a Note 2 and I'm thinking of upgrading to the M8. I think the Moto X looks solid, but i'm turned off by the pretty poor battery life.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
AppleCare or TEC? What exactly is the difference in coverage, is it that TEC covers theft and AppleCare doesn't? What's the deductible for either if I smash my phone?

Edit: ok, Applecare's deductible is $80. And Jesus Christ, Verizon, $200? gently caress's sake, man; it's a phone, not a pacemaker.

Has anybody had any luck adding a rider to your homeowners insurance for one of these? What's that run you, to protect against loss or theft?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 28, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

jackpot posted:

AppleCare or TEC? What exactly is the difference in coverage, is it that TEC covers theft and AppleCare doesn't? What's the deductible for either if I smash my phone?

Edit: ok, Applecare's deductible is $80. And Jesus Christ, Verizon, $200? gently caress's sake, man; it's a phone, not a pacemaker.

Has anybody had any luck adding a rider to your homeowners insurance for one of these? What's that run you, to protect against loss or theft?

The prices are set by another company, Asurion, and the deductibles are way higher for iPhones specifically. Also TEC covers lost phones, Applecare just covers breaking it. It's definitely more money, but you do get something for it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Turd Nelson posted:

Why do you say that? I currently have a Note 2 and I'm thinking of upgrading to the M8. I think the Moto X looks solid, but i'm turned off by the pretty poor battery life.
I say this mostly because I hate change but here are the things I still dislike: Coming from a Galaxy S3, it feels super heavy and thick and is kind of slippery on top of that. The speakers seem kind of pointless. The camera is the worst out of any flagship. Bezel to screen ratio is gross. Power button on top is absurd on a phone this long. The G3 is essentially the same size and weighs less for a bigger, better screen and superior camera. I feel like the appeal of the Moto X is self evident. One small thing is I usually rest a finger on the back of my M8 in about the same place the M indent and the G3 button well are, so I'm a little sad there's nothing there on the M8.

That said, here's the good stuff: the Sense UX is pretty nice and Blinkfeed is really useful. (I use Nova Launcher but still have a shortcut to Blinkfeed.) The Sense lock screen is pretty useless for customization but I'm still using it for the built in gesture stuff. While I complain about it being heavy and thick, the phone actually feels great in the hand. It feels absurdly solid and the texture is nice. The phone looks really stylish, particularly in gunmetal. Everything runs really snappy and I haven't had any noticeable wait on apps opening and what-not. The battery life is stellar. The camera is kind of crappy and lacks OIS, but it's actually fine if you're just uploading stuff to Facebook or Twitter, I wouldn't use it as my only camera on a sightseeing trip or anything though. Due to the second lens goofiness, focus time is effectively instant and your can shoot multiple pictures really fast. The M8's (confusingly) 5 megapixel front facing camera is the highest MP of selfie cameras on flagships.

Like I said. I hate change, and I'd honestly be lamenting my decision regardless of which phone I came home with. If I got a G3 I'd be bitching about the battery life and laggy UI. If it were the Moto it would be battery life and lack of expandable storage. It's just a grass is greener thing.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
-

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I used to feel like I absolutely must keep unlimited data forever. But I've finally come to the conclusion there's no reason to hold on to it. But there's no real reason to switch to anything else.

I have 4 lines. Nationwide sharing plan - 1400 minutes, 2x iPhone 5 unlimited data, 2x iPhone 4S 2GB per month. Total monthly cost before taxes: ~$215/m.

If we switched to More Everything, 10GB shared unlimited everything else: ~$240/m.

If we switched to More Everything with Edge, 10GB shared unlimited everything else: ~$160/m but when you add in the ~$30/m for each device on top of that across 4 lines, it ends up being ~$280/m.

Granted, we'd be able to upgrade for a lower, subsidized price. Legitimized hotspot, and some other small benefits. But I just don't those things make it worth the extra $65/m. Saving that $65/m allows me to buy a used (or if I can get a good deal, new) iPhone 6 in a few months. If I buy an iPhone 6 for about $500 (I bought my 5 in Dec. 2012 for $500 brand new on SA-Mart), it's "paid off" about 7 months, as opposed to 20 months on Verizon Edge.

So for now it seems like it's best to just keep things the same. None of us feel like we have to jump on the latest technology right away. There are a great amount of difference between the 5 and 6, and of course the 4S and 6. But I think we'll just use the subsidy available on the 2 4S lines to upgrade them to a 6 since they're already on the 2GB/m plan.

Is there something glaring that I'm missing here?

Edit: I should note 2 more things: 1) The reason I chose 10GB is that all together we used a bit over 8GB a month and forget about sweating over my data usage every month. 2) The $215/m is probably lower than someone on a similar/same plan because we opted out of messaging. We all use google voice, which is a very goony and cheap decision, will not last forever, and sucks compared to real messaging. So that is completely realized.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 30, 2014

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Knifegrab posted:

I don't understand, I currently have a smart phone with data, and my plan is 90 bucks a month for 2 gigs of data. Then I stumble across this:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/shop/shop-data-plans/single-line-data-plans.html

What the hell? Can I get on this plan or is verizon going to block me from changing plans for some reason? Why is this plan so much cheaper than what I currently have.

This seems like the plan I should switch to as I'm looking to upgrade my phone.

The only crutch is that I currently have unlimited data and I have an 18% employer discount from an employer I no longer work for. But this currently comes out to $87 monthly, and even if I went over with the single-line plan I'd be below the current cost.

Am I missing something or is this a slam dunk? Seems like I would get my new phone at a contract price AND would have a lower monthly cost.

edit: I feel like last time I was in this thread, the $60 plan came up and there was something inherently different about its service. Is that true or am I just misremembering things?

Poque fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 30, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

yamdankee posted:

I used to feel like I absolutely must keep unlimited data forever. But I've finally come to the conclusion there's no reason to hold on to it. But there's no real reason to switch to anything else.

I have 4 lines. Nationwide sharing plan - 1400 minutes, 2x iPhone 5 unlimited data, 2x iPhone 4S 2GB per month. Total monthly cost before taxes: ~$215/m.

If we switched to More Everything, 10GB shared unlimited everything else: ~$240/m.

If we switched to More Everything with Edge, 10GB shared unlimited everything else: ~$160/m but when you add in the ~$30/m for each device on top of that across 4 lines, it ends up being ~$280/m.

Granted, we'd be able to upgrade for a lower, subsidized price. Legitimized hotspot, and some other small benefits. But I just don't those things make it worth the extra $65/m. Saving that $65/m allows me to buy a used (or if I can get a good deal, new) iPhone 6 in a few months. If I buy an iPhone 6 for about $500 (I bought my 5 in Dec. 2012 for $500 brand new on SA-Mart), it's "paid off" about 7 months, as opposed to 20 months on Verizon Edge.

So for now it seems like it's best to just keep things the same. None of us feel like we have to jump on the latest technology right away. There are a great amount of difference between the 5 and 6, and of course the 4S and 6. But I think we'll just use the subsidy available on the 2 4S lines to upgrade them to a 6 since they're already on the 2GB/m plan.

Edit: I should note 2 more things: 1) The reason I chose 10GB is that all together we used a bit over 8GB a month and forget about sweating over my data usage every month. 2) The $215/m is probably lower than someone on a similar/same plan because we opted out of messaging. We all use google voice, which is a very goony and cheap decision, will not last forever, and sucks compared to real messaging. So that is completely realized.

I think what you're missing is if you're out of contract and keep providing your own phones like you plan to do, you can still get the same service discounts as Edge. So 4 phones 10GB would be $160.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

hoobajoo posted:

I think what you're missing is if you're out of contract and keep providing your own phones like you plan to do, you can still get the same service discounts as Edge. So 4 phones 10GB would be $160.

I can switch to Edge without buying a new phone? I thought you had to upgrade.

Edit: I just opened a chat window with a sales rep and they said I have to upgrade in order to be on Edge. So it's either pay full price for a phone on Edge, or provide my own phones which is cheaper in the long run. I guess the question is, is the cost of providing my own phone and paying for the plan I have now cheaper than paying for a phone on Edge and Edge's monthy rate.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 30, 2014

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.

yamdankee posted:

I'm in a similar situation. Also on the Nationwide 1400 plan, but we've all given up our unlimited at this point. We each have a 2gb data plan. I was considering switching to More Everything to get that bucket goodness, but then crunching some numbers the rep informed me that I'd have to pay $10 more a month to get less data. I still feel like I have got to be missing something here.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
You missed the Loyalty Max 6GB coming from unlimited data. :(

Which, I'm thinking about doing. Can someone talk me out of it? Or should I do it?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

yamdankee posted:

I can switch to Edge without buying a new phone? I thought you had to upgrade.

Edit: I just opened a chat window with a sales rep and they said I have to upgrade in order to be on Edge. So it's either pay full price for a phone on Edge, or provide my own phones which is cheaper in the long run. I guess the question is, is the cost of providing my own phone and paying for the plan I have now cheaper than paying for a phone on Edge and Edge's monthy rate.

You have to upgrade to be on edge, but you don't have to be on edge to get the same discount, just be out of contract.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.

yamdankee posted:

You missed the Loyalty Max 6GB coming from unlimited data. :(

Which, I'm thinking about doing. Can someone talk me out of it? Or should I do it?

I know. :( When I jumped from unlimited (last year) I asked about it and the guys at my Verizon store said it couldn't be done. I spent a while trying to convince them and they all agreed it was not a real thing. This was a couple days after the 5S launch and they happened to have exactly one of the color / size I wanted (while everyone else was sold out) so I just gave up and bought it.

I'm still bitter about it.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

hoobajoo posted:

You have to upgrade to be on edge, but you don't have to be on edge to get the same discount, just be out of contract.

What plan, or by what means, can you get 10GB /m for $160?

Edit: Oh, month to month, right.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 30, 2014

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Done. I decided to go with upgrading all 4 lines to the iPhone 6. Got Loyalty Max 6GB applied to the two lines coming from unlimited, and still 2GB each for the other lines. Price wise - everything is exactly the same.

The rep said the lines with 2GB can actually use the hotspot feature on their phones, but just to be careful since they only have 2GB. The thread probably already knew this, though.

Thanks everyone for helping me think this through. I decided Edge is the worst possible option, Month to Month seemed good but in the end, keeping the plan the same, upgrading at the sacrifice of unlimited data is the cheapest.

4 lines, 1400 shared minutes, 6GB + 6GB + 2GB + 2GB, no messaging, emp. discount = $215/m

Edit: Uh, they didn't "keep" our lack of a messaging plan, so now we all have unlimited messaging for the same price we were paying before without. Welp :shobon:

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 1, 2014

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

How come I can't use hotspot on that $60 2gb/unlimited talk text promotional plan I'm on? I thought part of that LTE spectrum seal with the FCC forced them to allow that kind of stuff.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Does anyone know if it's possible to go to the Apple store and get a new iPhone, switch to the 2GB/line plan in-store (assuming they can't do the 6GB plan in-store), then call Verizon afterwards to get the 6GB? I want to switch my unlimited plan to the to 6GB promotional plan but I want to just go to the Apple store to get the phone rather than call Verizon and wait a month before I get it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hey, look at that, Verizon is actually being competitive.

They've hopped on the double data bandwagon for their share everything plans.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/01/verizon-joins-the-party-doubles-data-on-more-everything-plans-without-upping-prices/

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Just switched to the $60 plan, gonna save me $400 a year. I lose unlimited but whatever, I've gone over 2GB only a couple times.

Now I have a new Moto X on the way!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

bull3964 posted:

Hey, look at that, Verizon is actually being competitive.

They've hopped on the double data bandwagon for their share everything plans.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/01/verizon-joins-the-party-doubles-data-on-more-everything-plans-without-upping-prices/

Is this something I'll be able to switch to mid-contract without pushing back my update date?

e: nevermind, read the article and it only applies on people with data plans between 20GB and 50 GB apparently.

quote:

Starting Oct. 2, customers with monthly data allowances of between 20GB to 50GB will be able to get two times that data -- from 40GB to 100GB, depending on how much they choose -- for the same price, the best-ever from Verizon. Customers must act on these promotional offers by October 31.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Baram posted:

Is this something I'll be able to switch to mid-contract without pushing back my update date?

Yes, there's no plan that affects your upgrade date. The only thing besides upgrading that changes the upgrade date is suspending your line.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So I've got two smartphones that are off contract and currently have unlimited. I also have a Home Phone Connect that's on contract until November 5. I don't want to buy any new devices.

We use 10-12 GB/month, sometimes peaking at 20 if I went on a couple business trips that month and tethered.

Supposing I took the 16 30GB plan and got the Edge discount on the line charges, I'd be paying the same thing monthly after my corp discount, I still wouldn't have to worry about data overages, and no throttling. Sounds like a winner.

Can I switch into this without buying new phones? What about that line still being on contract, is there any way around that? Would they be likely to let me out of it and switch everything over to the new pricing, since it's so close to the end date?

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I'm thinking about switching to the Edge plan to upgrade this time and want to check my numbers to make sure I understand everything.

Right now I have 5 lines on a shared 8gb plan. The plan is $80 and each line is $40 each so my current plan pre tax / fee is $280.

I'm going to upgrade 4 of the lines to an iphone 6 64gb. The last line is still on contract so I won't change anything on it. I also want to upgrade our plan to the 10gb shared plan for $100 because with the edge plan we get a $10 discount per line while on the 8gb plan but this jumps up to $25 per line if we upgrade the plan. This should be a net savings since if we keep the current plan we get a $40 discount from edge. If we upgrade we pay $20 more for the plan but get a $100 edge discount now (25*4) so we end up saving $80 on the 10gb plan vs $40 on the 8 gb plan.

The iphone 6 64gb edge fee is $37.49 per line.

So, on the new plan I end up with a $100 plan, $15 per line access for 4 lines and $40 still for the 5th for a plan rate of $200. The edge fees are 37.50 * 4 which is another $150 which brings me up to $350 per month for the plan.

The total cost for the phones is $150 / month for 20 months which comes out to $3000 vs buying them on contract for $300 each $1200 total so I'm paying $1800 more for the phones, but I'm saving $25*4 lines on the line access rate as well, so I can knock $2000 off the total cost and end up with a net savings of $200. Also the $25 per month discount per line carries on after the phone is paid off so I would save more the longer I keep the phone.

Are my numbers / assumptions correct? Also are there any extra fees / charges associated with Edge I'll end up paying (ie a $5 service fee or some other bs)?

Edit : oh, on edge do I get to skip the $30 upgrade fee? Also on the More Everything Plan FAQ it says you get a mobile hotspot. Is this basically just tethering enabled from the phone or will I get an actual free hotspot thrown into the deal?

Keystoned fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 1, 2014

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Verizon calls off plan to throttle LTE for unlimited data customers

:toot:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

:lol: Cutting the price of data in half and walking back their throttling. I guess we're not as congested after all, eh?

Also consider my previous question retracted.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kitten smoothie posted:

:lol: Cutting the price of data in half and walking back their throttling. I guess we're not as congested after all, eh?

Yeah, I think these things were related. They were already under the scrutiny by the FCC for the throttling proposal and since they were basically forced to double the existing data plans to compete with the other carriers, they probably figured that the "we're congested!" excuse really wasn't going to fly.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

kitten smoothie posted:

What about that line still being on contract, is there any way around that? Would they be likely to let me out of it and switch everything over to the new pricing, since it's so close to the end date?

This is what I'm wondering too. I'm going to switch over my account (3 unlimited lines, 1 2GB line) to the More Everything plans with the double data. The 2GB line is under contract until December, so I'm assuming it'll be the full $40/mo (rather than the discounted $15/mo) until December, then it'll drop to the $15/mo no-contract rate.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I may bite on a 40gb plan if it ends up being cheaper than 2x Unlimited + 3x 2gb.

I'm the only one that really uses a bunch of data. So 40gb would probably work fine, plus would allow my son a little data breathing room.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

highme posted:

I may bite on a 40gb plan if it ends up being cheaper than 2x Unlimited + 3x 2gb.

I'm the only one that really uses a bunch of data. So 40gb would probably work fine, plus would allow my son a little data breathing room.

I'm in the same predicament - I'm currently the only unlimited person on my bill. EVeryone else has to suffer through 2gb. I feel like that's a bit selfish so I'm probably going to go with the 15gb and live with it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm one year into my two-year contract and need a new phone. My iPhone 5s has been a whole lot of trouble, and the last straw was that the 8.0.0 update turned off my iMessages. With them off, I couldn't get any messages from anyone using an iPhone. This very nearly got me fired because I "wasn't answering texts" from my bosses. I'm thinking about waiting until the Droid Turbo comes out and going over to an Edge plan with 4GB of data (I keep going over my 2GB data and also my minutes). Is there any reason this is a bad idea?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
You're not getting the texts because their phones are sending them as iMessages. You'll still need to fix that problem if you switch phones.
Here's how you fix it.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Shadowhand00 posted:

I'm in the same predicament - I'm currently the only unlimited person on my bill. EVeryone else has to suffer through 2gb. I feel like that's a bit selfish so I'm probably going to go with the 15gb and live with it.

Why do you have to have all lines on the same account?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

butt dickus posted:

You're not getting the texts because their phones are sending them as iMessages. You'll still need to fix that problem if you switch phones.
Here's how you fix it.

Oh, that doesn't apply to me. I didn't switch to/from an iPhone recently, the 8.0 update actually toggled off my iMessages for no reason. This meant that I couldn't get texts from anyone with an iPhone, because it'd have them send them as iMessages. I could text to an iPhone, I'd just never get anything back. I fixed it by contacting Verizon, and the support rep heard of the problem before and told me to toggle my iMessages back on in my settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Yep, switching things off and on usually fixes the problem.

• Locked thread