Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Moridin920 posted:

I've noticed that even with the fix DFhack provides for .34, trying to do this ends up with dwarves putting their weapons on the weapon rack and never picking them up again so you legendary swords- and axedwarfs end up running out to fight with just their bare hands.

I just build 1 armor rack and never designate individual or squad storage in barracks.

Isn't that a problem otherwise, though? Setting a kill-kill-kill order out of uniform producing a company of half-dressed warriors without their weapons? I never had issues with people using the racks with all the binary patches and proper procedure (assign-rack GUI element as the primary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm maybe. It's possible I haven't been using assign-rack correctly.

All I know is unless I use one armor stand and nothing else to designate a barracks my dwarves toss their weapons on the ground and they conveniently get marked {} so they are never touched again until I happen to notice them and unforbid them.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Speaking of, is there a good way to get my dwarfs to remove their stupid hats and socks and gloves and put on my helms and high boots and gauntlets?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Kenning posted:

Speaking of, is there a good way to get my dwarfs to remove their stupid hats and socks and gloves and put on my helms and high boots and gauntlets?

if they're in squads, go under military, (e)quipment and make them (r)eplace their clothes with the armor instead of adding it over.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
In the old DF I remember the sieges getting progressively harder, with trolls and beakdogs coming along for later raids. But now I've played for 8-10 years and the same two squads of goblins, about a dozen or less, keep coming. No trolls or other monsters. I can dispatch them super easily so the challenge has been lost. And yet the undead armies are bugged so I don't want to enable lots of necromancers in my world. Are there good vanilla-DF options for getting a good difficulty scale back once I've got a 20+ strong army?

Forgotten beasts are pretty fun but if you get one that breathes fireballs that gets unfair fast.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

reading posted:

In the old DF I remember the sieges getting progressively harder, with trolls and beakdogs coming along for later raids. But now I've played for 8-10 years and the same two squads of goblins, about a dozen or less, keep coming. No trolls or other monsters. I can dispatch them super easily so the challenge has been lost. And yet the undead armies are bugged so I don't want to enable lots of necromancers in my world. Are there good vanilla-DF options for getting a good difficulty scale back once I've got a 20+ strong army?

Forgotten beasts are pretty fun but if you get one that breathes fireballs that gets unfair fast.

What is the total population of your fort? I don't see any mention of it on the wiki for "siege", but I'm thinking you need a population of 80 or more to trigger sieges instead of ambushes.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Population is definitely a factor in titans, if not goblins. Also, make and trade a lot of super-expensive, useless poo poo. Build elaborate, golden roads. Give away platinum statues of purring maggots. Encrust every goddamned thing with cut gems.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah AFAIK the main factor for siege strength is your fortress wealth.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Excelzior posted:

if they're in squads, go under military, (e)quipment and make them (r)eplace their clothes with the armor instead of adding it over.

Be careful with this. If you don't have enough armor for everyone, they'll strip naked before realizing that there's no armor for them to put on, and then they'll be very sad. I've had military dwarves tantrum because of this before.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Spoggerific posted:

Be careful with this. If you don't have enough armor for everyone, they'll strip naked before realizing that there's no armor for them to put on, and then they'll be very sad. I've had military dwarves tantrum because of this before.

oh, you know, just switch them back afterwards - they wont ditch the armor, but instead re-fit any loose slots with their clothes

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

On devwork, I really think that Toady is putting too much work into the emotional system. Having everyone default to dread at all times should be accurate enough.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

On devwork, I really think that Toady is putting too much work into the emotional system. Having everyone default to dread at all times should be accurate enough.

Re: Sieges. I've had crappy little 10-goblin sieges at my current fort every year for six years running. My population has been as high as 122, and I've got a fair amount of created wealth (mostly green glass, but there's a ton of it. But the goblin king hasn't sent his trolls or his cavalry yet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ghostwoods posted:

My current megaproject goal is to build a multi-city fortress, with active and (if possible) self-sufficient societies at the magma sea, cavern 2, the first rock strata, and the surface. Apart from the miner-elite, everyone else is to be burrowed to their own broad territories.

Success is a long way off...

I did something similar in my last fortress to test out how well burrows work, though I wasn't so particular about the locations. I basically made multiple mini-forts, each designed to support roughly 50 dwarves, and included everything they'd need to never leave their burrow - each burrow had sufficient storage, farming facilities, water, and even its own hospital and jail cells. In the relative center I had surplus and trade good storage, along with noble housing and other one-offs like the trade depot and the main meeting hall where new arrivals would congregate before they were assigned to a burrow. Only about 10% of the fortress had permission to roam the entire fort, everyone else was confined to their burrow for their whole life. The burrows even had their own standing military squads.

It actually worked quite well. It was not as space-efficient as it otherwise could be since there were a lot of redundant workshops and spaces - for example, in a 200 person fort you will still rarely need more than one good carpenter, since carpenter products tend to last basically forever. I, however, had 4 of them because it was a multi-step process to requisition crap from one burrow to another, so it made a lot more sense to just have a carpenter's workshop and a carpenter in each burrow. Also, all this made it relatively slow to get magma going, since I spent so much time digging out and staffing facilities.

However, it was all worth it when you consider that I was playing in an evil environment with husk-making smoke outside. I lost one burrow completely when an experiment with a surface statue garden to fight cave adaptation went horribly wrong and husks butchered an entire burrow, which obviously later mostly rose as zombie dwarves. Since everything was separated out, though, I basically just locked the doors until I had a hammer squad properly equipped to handle the problem. Cleanup was a BITCH, I don't mind telling you.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Coolguye posted:

I lost one burrow completely when an experiment with a surface statue garden to fight cave adaptation went horribly wrong

Wrong? ... or RIGHT? </Zim>

Sounds awesome, anyway. I should probably do something similar to iron out some of the bugs before getting back to CakeLayers...

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So I'm having a weird issue with the 40.13 Starter Pack r3 where I install the Phoebus graphics pack from the application, start DF, it starts in Phoebus, and then immediately switches to stock ASCII. I assume it's something to do with the reshape graphics command in DFHack, which runs when the game starts, but I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it. Any ideas?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Solid Poopsnake posted:

So I'm having a weird issue with the 40.13 Starter Pack r3 where I install the Phoebus graphics pack from the application, start DF, it starts in Phoebus, and then immediately switches to stock ASCII. I assume it's something to do with the reshape graphics command in DFHack, which runs when the game starts, but I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it. Any ideas?

I dunno but I'm having something similar: whenever I start up the Starter Pack anew, my install of Phoebus is gone and I have to reinstall it. Works fine in-game though, minus the fact that none of the graphic packs seem to be working on the embark map.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

That's what TWBT does. Try the Arena mode, do the graphics show up there?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I'll be damned. Apparently it works just fine after embark. I was throwing a tantrum and closing at the embark selection screen. Thanks!

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I was throwing a tantrum and closing at the embark selection screen.

Is that a new speed record for losing a fort to a tantrum spiral? :v:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Dwarves don't seem to want to take remains from my butcher's shop to stockpiles. A craftsdwarf will go grab bones and whatnot just fine but nobody actually moves them around otherwise. Anyone know what the deal is there? I'm bumbling my way through learning this game for the first time so it's probably some buried menu option I missed :shobon:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Do you mean the 'refuse' remains like hair and hooves? If your butcher shop is outside, dwarfs might not grab that stuff because by default, in Orders, they ignore outdoor refuse.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ixjuvin posted:

Dwarves don't seem to want to take remains from my butcher's shop to stockpiles. A craftsdwarf will go grab bones and whatnot just fine but nobody actually moves them around otherwise. Anyone know what the deal is there? I'm bumbling my way through learning this game for the first time so it's probably some buried menu option I missed :shobon:
Is the butcher shop outside? If so, dwarves won't stockpile the refuse from the corpse(bones, skulls, hides, etc) unless you go to orders, refuse and make sure that dwarves gather refuse from outside. For some bizarre reason, the default option doesn't have the dwarves do that.

Bonus tip: Try making a custom stockpile only for the bits that craftsdwarves will use to make stuff(instead of having all the refuse outside, or having stockpiles of miasma-generating refuse inside). In the stockpile menu, hit t for custom stockpile settings. Go through and disable everything, then enable refuse. Then go to the refuse submenu and forbid everything except skulls, bones, shells, horn/hooves, and hair/wool. It should look like this when you're done. None of those things will rot, so you can safely put the custom stockpile close to the workshops without making miasma.

When you exit the menu, make sure you hit c for custom stockpile, then make it as normal.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
No, the butcher is inside and the stockpile is set up just like that. It's even told to take from the butchery. :iiam:

Also holy crap what's with all these children and babies

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ixjuvin posted:

No, the butcher is inside and the stockpile is set up just like that. It's even told to take from the butchery. :iiam:

Also holy crap what's with all these children and babies

Yeah I notice bones and other scrap don't get cleared out of my butcher shop sometimes. I don't really know what to say other than it's not just you. Dfhack autodump that stuff.

And yeah set the hard cap on kids/babies to 10 or something in the .ini because it'll get nutty.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

gently caress everything, it's ~OCTOBER~

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: You obviously know promise when you see it. Your gracious gifts have seen us through another month filled with hope. We are now able to make strides toward the future as well as dwelling on comprehensive bug squashing. For one thing, dwarves will soon express emotions based on circumstances filtered through personality.

For example:

Toady One and ThreeToe receive amazing rewards for their efforts.

Toady One and ThreeToe have perceptive and empathetic personalities.

Toady One and ThreeToe express the emotion of 'gratitude.'

Congratulations to the generous!

:iit:

quote:

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: Thanks to everybody that helped out last month! We got stuck in a bit of a dev log lull there with the thought rewrite slog, but hopefully we'll be emerging from that this week. Then I'm going to do fruit harvesting and a few small changes. Once that release is up, we'll be back to bug-fixing! We haven't yet decided when we are going to transition from bug-fixing over to job priorities. There are still plenty of bugs to fix and issues to iron out.

September: $4573.68
August: $6551.92

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Is there a way to prevent modded creatures from dropping gibs? It's weird to have Solid_lightman 43's solid_lightman upper arm lying around in the arena.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

So Math posted:

Is there a way to prevent modded creatures from dropping gibs? It's weird to have Solid_lightman 43's solid_lightman upper arm lying around in the arena.

You might be able to do it by setting the creature's [HOMEOTHERM] very low and giving their body materials a boiling point just above that.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PublicOpinion posted:

You might be able to do it by setting the creature's [HOMEOTHERM] very low and giving their body materials a boiling point just above that.

Dwarf Fortress: When it's easier just to make creatures boil away on death than figure out how to stop them from leaving chunks.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Prism posted:

Dwarf Fortress: When it's easier just to make creatures boil away on death than figure out how to stop them from leaving chunks.

That's pretty :black101:. I like that better than my original plan.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
:grumpy: I'm still irritated I couldn't make custom chunks appear upon butchering. I think Toady hardcoded butcherable stuff, so it is possible to give an animal a [HORN] if it didn't have it before, but you can't give it something new that will be produced at a butcher's shop.

Does Masterwork have original items that appear upon butchering? They rely on directly hacking the binary if I understand it so if they accomplish it, it presumably isn't through editing the raws.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It's totally possible you big lug. Give me your creature raws and tell me what you want to happen, I'll prove it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

off the top of my head i know that a lot of poo poo in masterwork involves souls that can be gotten from butchering corpses. that's from not even thinking about it more than a second or two.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129773.0

Babeality

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

My face is mooshed into the \raw\objects

Toady One posted:

Playing around with the numbers attached to various stressors today so it can calculate stability changes over time. Compared to the way it used to work with the sum of happiness/unhappiness numbers, there's an extra layer of smoothing out that should work against sudden spiral behavior from one catastrophe, though the overall strain on the fort from a catastrophe might last longer if the dwarves don't have nice things in their lives.

He's meddling with tantrum spiral dynamics. :stare:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

PublicOpinion posted:

Wonder how boogeymen work, they're supposed to dissolve into smoke in the sunlight. Might be able to steal some tags from them (you can see their raws in the world.dat file in a save).

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

scamtank posted:

He's meddling with tantrum spiral dynamics. :stare:

Oooh, nice. That's a very, very good and important change.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

my dad posted:

Oooh, nice. That's a very, very good and important change.

It's a very, very FUN and important change.

But seriously, it would be GREAT if losing four dwarves to a forgotten beast didn't trigger a spiral that killed more than 100 (formerly) ecstatic citizens. So here's hoping.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

It's a very, very FUN and important change.

But seriously, it would be GREAT if losing four dwarves to a forgotten beast didn't trigger a spiral that killed more than 100 (formerly) ecstatic citizens. So here's hoping.

on the other hand, if the smoothing works both ways, it could be significantly harder to cheer up a dwarf recently hit hard by a great tragedy where before he could pop into the legendary dining hall, eat a ☼Quarry Bush Leaf Roast☼, and be back at ecstatic.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Excelzior posted:

on the other hand, if the smoothing works both ways, it could be significantly harder to cheer up a dwarf recently hit hard by a great tragedy where before he could pop into the legendary dining hall, eat a ☼Quarry Bush Leaf Roast☼, and be back at ecstatic.

It may severely complicate the "hardening" of dwarves by dropping animals into the meeting hall from 15 z-levels up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
So I decided to play within adventure mode after a very, very long time. Selected an Elf (because it was closest to a destroyed fort of mine) with a mission to go check it out. After talking to a bunch of elves I attempted to go down the tree, so went to the side, started climbing. "This is easy" I thought as I let go of my grip to go down, fell to the ground and died as it appeared I was too high.
Loved it. Best Adventure ever.