Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can see the Metroid similarities in Zelda, but I think it's a stretch to really call them fundamentally the same. The combat is a lot different, for instance. In Metroid it tends to be faster and more fluid, and this is reflected most heavily in the boss fights. Even in the less puzzle Zelda games, the bosses are more deliberate and tactical, even when they get to the hectic bosses like Gleeok or the Mothula. Metroid relies quite a bit more on reflexes and more general action game skills.

Zelda also has much more limited backtracking for secrets (except TLoZ of course). There's always a couple heart pieces up in some corner of an old dungeon, but it's nothing compared to some of the "speed boost in this random room and then do frame-perfect shinesparks 6 times in a row" stuff you get sometimes in Metroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I just meant the bulk of the core game, exploring to get power ups to unlock new areas to explore. There are differences of course, I just think there would be a lot more overlap in the fans between them then there seems to be.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well obviously you do a crossover game. Andross discovers Hyrule planet in a distant solar system and tries to exert his power over Ganon but ends up himself possessed. Link and Zelda are picked up by Star Fox team when Slippy Toad detects an energy signature similar to the one currently in Andross, and chases Ganondross into space where now Ganondross has even grander plans of conquest and heads to a planet of chozo ruins where he should be able to use the triforce of power to become the ultimate being, and can only be stopped by a team of heroes, Link, team Star Fox, of whom Fox McCloud now shares the triforce of courage, and Samus who has arrived on the planet searching for what happened to the Chozo, and now shares the Triforce of wisdom.

In the handheld companion game without any heroes or triforce, Groose, Falco, and Black Guy From Metroid© must team up to save Hyrule from the cutthroat capitalism of Malo and Beedle in a grocery store simulation game.

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 2, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

People not liking W101 isn't unheard of.

People being sincerely bothered by fleeting slices of an image of W101 in a loading screen widget for the eShop is, and I must agree that you're being weird and stupid about that.

He just asked if there was a way to edit which games appear there, he's not freaking out about it. No idea why you're dogpiling him as being a weirdo nerd while other people are unironically discussing the best way to label and sort folders.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah I just meant the bulk of the core game, exploring to get power ups to unlock new areas to explore. There are differences of course, I just think there would be a lot more overlap in the fans between them then there seems to be.

I suppose the big differentiating factor is that the Zelda games always give you a lot of different things to do and opportunities to goof off, so if you get stuck on a certain puzzle or roadblock you can go explore or talk to people or whatever, it's very accommodating in that way. Metroid is much more focused - you can backtrack to hunt for new items and routes, of course, but it's very much an action game that's made to be beaten.

I also think OOT just happened to drop at the right time where it gained a ton of fans who didn't necessarily care about the previous games or even any other games at all, and they've stuck with it ever since without ever touching Metroid or other games.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

He just asked if there was a way to edit which games appear there, he's not freaking out about it. No idea why you're dogpiling him as being a weirdo nerd while other people are unironically discussing the best way to label and sort folders.

Screw you and your reasonable logic. This is the internet, and everything is black and white.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, I was gonna' say, it kinda' bothers me that both the demo and the actual game for The Wonderful 101 both appear in the loading minigame (often right next to each other), so I can see where he's coming from in that regard.

Also, I guess I didn't notice it before, but Armillo is also on sale this week in America for $4.99 10/6. It's not a mind-blowing game and it's a little short, but it's incredibly polished for what it is and pretty strongly replayable. I definitely would recommend it. Wait, I did notice that before because I put it in the OP! Well, still, it's a good game, and I'd recommend it.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 2, 2014

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Darth TNT posted:

Congratulations on having a great wife.

You probably didn't get far enough in returns. Returns had some very dynamic backdrops and let's not forget the creepy crawly levels. :ohdear: TF just kicks it into overdrive and it's so great to look at you'll curse the game for being too hard to be able to appreciate it while playing. :arghfist::( Fortunately I play together with a friend and we don't immediately press the respawn button upon dying allowing us both to appreciate the beauty of this game.

I 100%ed Returns. I think more than anything my issue was with the enemy designs and not the backgrounds? Definitely not knocking on the game at all, just saying Tropical Freeze feels like a step up.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What's the verdict on Hyrule Warriors? I'm unjustly excited for it, but I'm not a huge Zelda fan. Not saying I hate or dislike the series, but I don't cream over new installments.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

noirstronaut posted:

What's the verdict on Hyrule Warriors? I'm unjustly excited for it, but I'm not a huge Zelda fan. Not saying I hate or dislike the series, but I don't cream over new installments.
I haven't played it, but it's not exactly a Zelda game, more of a Dynasty Warriors game. So more hack and slash, less quest and adventure. I skipped it, since it's not my cup of tea, but it held up well in reviews.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
When I bought my Wii-U a few days ago, it was bundled with Mario Kart 8, and it reminds me of why I love this series, it's just such an amazingly fun racing game, plus Wario can cruise around in a Mercedes-Benz, which will never stop being funny.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

noirstronaut posted:

I'm a big fan of Zelda and didn't expect to like it but i think it's extremely fun and addicting with a lot of content. Here's the thread for it if you want more info: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668508

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Metroid Prime is definitely more Zelda-esque that some of the other games and that's one of the things I dislike about it, to be honest.

disliking anything about Metroid Prime is what an idiot would do

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

noirstronaut posted:

It depends a lot more on how much you like the Dynasty Warriors games than the Zelda games. I picked it up and it's actually ended up a lot more fun than I thought. I gave up playing one of the Gundam Warriors games because of how frustrated I was getting and was kinda worried this would do the same. I have to say, it's a pretty great game. There are a few things here and there to get frustrated with but they have all been outweighed by the fun I've had.

If Dynasty Warriors is your cup of tea and you have a Wii U, I'd say pick it up.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Free Drinks posted:

It depends a lot more on how much you like the Dynasty Warriors games than the Zelda games. I picked it up and it's actually ended up a lot more fun than I thought. I gave up playing one of the Gundam Warriors games because of how frustrated I was getting and was kinda worried this would do the same. I have to say, it's a pretty great game. There are a few things here and there to get frustrated with but they have all been outweighed by the fun I've had.

If Dynasty Warriors is your cup of tea and you have a Wii U, I'd say pick it up.

There's also quite a bit of DLC coming too, new characters, weapons, scenarios and such, some of it is free, most paid but Nintendo seem pretty decent when it comes to pricing and what they offer.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This is kind of a dumb question. I want to buy a computer monitor that I will use as my primary monitor (I have a two-monitor setup), but I also want to use it for my Wii U. Can I just get a monitor that has both DVI and HDMI inputs, plug the DVI into the computer and the HDMI into the Wii U? Would a monitor like this typically have an input switch like a TV would? My TV is usually in use by :siren:my girlfriend:siren: so I don't want to interrupt her with my gaming.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

This is kind of a dumb question. I want to buy a computer monitor that I will use as my primary monitor (I have a two-monitor setup), but I also want to use it for my Wii U. Can I just get a monitor that has both DVI and HDMI inputs, plug the DVI into the computer and the HDMI into the Wii U? Would a monitor like this typically have an input switch like a TV would? My TV is usually in use by :siren:my girlfriend:siren: so I don't want to interrupt her with my gaming.

Yes, my acer switches between the two just fine. Doesn't have an audio out though, and no speakers on it, so I have to use the other A/V out on the wii. look for a monitor with audio out, pretty much any that have dual inputs let you switch freely between them. One annoyance is there is no good place for the sensor bar on a desk if your monitor has a curved top like mine, so keep that in mind too.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 2, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yes, a monitor with multiple inputs should have input switching.

Be sure to look into the audio situation, though-- if the monitor doesn't have built-in speakers, you might have to hook some speakers up separately to the Wii U's second A/V output.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/517779146286436352

quote:

Isn't ur mom disappointed with her inferior son? RT @SulawesiMitchum feel disappointed about having developed Bayo2 for an inferior hardware

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

:allears:

I wasn't going to get the game, but with that delish burn, I guess I have to.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

gently caress! Kamiya does not play around!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Notinghamington posted:

gently caress! Kamiya does not play around!

This is par the standard for Kamiya. :allears:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Gotta add that to the montage.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

It's awesome and you should play it

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I have an Asus monitor and I do exactly this. The speakers on it aren't the greatest thing in the world but also I have a somewhat older model. There's a button on the side that I can use to switch between DVI and HDMI.

It's pretty convenient.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

From later on in that conversation, somebody said "Kamiya you are half the developer Suda51 is" and he replies "And you are nothing."

:iceburn:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I've been listning to Tropical Freeze Songs while I bike around the village. It's a good time, buy the game everyone.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Re: monitor chat, I followed this thread's advice and picked up this monitor. It works fabulously! It's a much more convenient setup for the console than the TV was.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:owned:

gently caress that guy haha

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Chronojam posted:

From later on in that conversation, somebody said "Kamiya you are half the developer Suda51 is" and he replies "And you are nothing."

Ah, yes. SUDA51, the guy who actually went Hollywood and hasn't made anything good in like half a decade. That's who I'll compare Hideki Kamiya, a man who bats nearly .1000 with his products.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Chronojam posted:

It's funny, because Suda51 is total garbage.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

conceitedguy posted:

It's funny, because Suda51 is total garbage.

How the mighty have fallen. There really was a time where anything with that guy's name on it was an instant buy for me sight unseen. I still can't believe Killer is Dead is real.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chronojam posted:

From that guys twitter feed

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Pomp posted:

I love this guy. He's a self-aware rear end in a top hat. Love it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pomp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY2Z0qhhgk4

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Ah, yes. SUDA51, the guy who actually went Hollywood and hasn't made anything good in like half a decade. That's who I'll compare Hideki Kamiya, a man who bats nearly .1000 with his products.
Hold up Liberation Maiden was fun as hell.

Killer is Dead was dumb though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BFC posted:

Hold up Liberation Maiden was fun as hell.

Killer is Dead was dumb though.
The games that Suda actually works on like Liberation Maiden are still relatively dope, but his name gets associated with everything Grasshopper puts out regardless of his involvement.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Killer is Dead is probably the most pretentious video game I've ever played, but I understand that game was largely Suda51 trying to coach a next generation of Grasshopper developers and they ended up making the most soulless, uninspired mashup of Killer7 and No More Heroes humanly possible. Seriously, what the gently caress happened there? Why is like 3/4ths of the screen absolute crushed black? I got that $20 new off the PSN and felt so ripped off by it.

I know it's pretty much impossible now but I miss the weird Suda who made poo poo like Flower, Sun, and Rain, Michigan, and Killer7.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Policenaut posted:

You mean 1.000 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Austrian mook posted:

I've been listning to Tropical Freeze Songs while I bike around the village. It's a good time, buy the game everyone.

Just beat it, had it since launch. The "reward" for beating the game's secret levels is cruel, hilarious, and perfect. Just when I thought I was done.

• Locked thread