Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FRINGE posted:

New malpractice practice: Cut off someones leg "by accident"? 20 years minimum in prison for negligence and medical torture-equivalence for everyone involved.

Suddenly people read charts more carefully.

I'm not convinced it would dramatically lower the rate of catastrophic malpractice. I think we'd see a few people get more careful and more people get brutally tortured. This doesn't sound like justice to me.

Do people who commit such egregious errors tend to have a pattern of malpractice, or is most malpractice a very rare mistake over the course of an entire career? If it's the former, then those people should absolutely be barred from working in medicine, but if it's the latter, I think we have to bring the cost of medical training and the potential future value of that trained person's work into the balance. In the latter case, maybe egregious malpractice would be best punished by mandatory assignment to a really undesirable workplace. (I know impoverishment sounds like a great approach, but I have trouble with the thought of indirectly punishing the family of a negligent doctor.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The cost of malpractice insurance is an invisibly tiny sliver of overall medical costs to Americans. It could triple overnight and we would not even notice a difference in costs. It is an absolutely ridiculous red herring consistently trotted out by conservatives to redirect attention away from the actual thing that would save everyone in the country massive amounts of money while also providing much better care: a national healthcare system.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
I agree that predatory billing is an issue, made possible by a lack of cost transparency. Increasing malpractice caps will not improve cost transparency in a consistent, meaningful way. It may punish good actors in a way not originally intended and possibly worsen transparency.

I feel pretty confident saying that it will increase overall cost for the healthcare system. Doctors are human, and as a result are very bad at estimating the likelihood of rare events. Thus the perception that increased malpractice lawsuits are forthcoming will probably get doctors to order more unnecessary tests out of fear, whether you think that fear is founded or unfounded.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty

Leperflesh posted:

The cost of malpractice insurance is an invisibly tiny sliver of overall medical costs to Americans. It could triple overnight and we would not even notice a difference in costs. It is an absolutely ridiculous red herring consistently trotted out by conservatives to redirect attention away from the actual thing that would save everyone in the country massive amounts of money while also providing much better care: a national healthcare system.

The cost of defensive medicine and malpractice insurance adds up somewhere to 2-5% of total US healthcare costs, which are like 18% of the U.S. GDP. I wouldn't dismiss that as an "invisibly tiny sliver."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Guy Farting posted:

The cost of defensive medicine and malpractice insurance adds up somewhere to 2-5% of total US healthcare costs, which are like 18% of the U.S. GDP. I wouldn't dismiss that as an "invisibly tiny sliver."

But that 2-5% isn't the part that's been growing over the last few decades. That 2-5% is a tiny part of the problem of rising healthcare costs.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Leperflesh posted:

From what I've seen, once Tort reform was added, it did jack poo poo to change the cost of malpractice insurance. Most of what I know comes from "Hot Coffee" so I hope it is honest.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Guy Farting posted:

Source please. My experience is that sources that give numbers this high invariably ignore large portions of total healthcare costs, or are based on incorrect measures of malpractice insurance costs.

Just to not be lazy:
This PDF from insurance-reform.org says payouts and premiums are each less than 1% of total insurance costs.

This study from John Hopkins Medicine says that "defensive medicine" is much more of an issue than the actual premiums or payouts, to the tune of ~$60B a year, but does not give that figure as a percentage of overall costs (or state clearly what is included in 'overall costs').

This peer-reviewed, published manuscript says that "Overall annual medical liability system costs, including defensive medicine, are estimated to be $55.6 billion in 2008 dollars, or 2.4 percent of total health care spending."

I think defensive medicine is "a problem", but in terms of the overall cost of medical care, it's not one worth focusing a lot of attention on. I'd rather have unnecessary tests than have millions of people uninsured, and the practice of massively inflating costs for the uninsured or underinsured, combined with the general practice of operating medical care as a for-profit industry, surely amount to many times more waste.

And, tripling or quadrupling the actual cost of the insurance (which as I said is less than 1% of total costs) will not eliminate defensive medicine, because even an insured doctor does not want to be sued (or have the hospital that employs him be sued, which could lead to him being fired).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 29, 2014

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty

quote:

I'd rather have unnecessary tests than have millions of people uninsured

This is not a dichotomous choice and we shouldn't be framing it as such. Agreed that everyone should be insured so we can continue to have serious discussions about healthcare costs in this country.

quote:

the practice of massively inflating costs for the uninsured or underinsured, combined with the general practice of operating medical care as a for-profit industry, surely amount to many times more waste.

I absolutely agree, but the proposed bill does not address this issue.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's basically a forest/trees argument. My thesis is that malpractice insurance is a red herring (and therefore we don't need payout limits because those only really hurt the victims of malpractice) and that it gets brought up a lot as a way of distracting the public away from the real problems with American healthcare.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
That's my point as well. This bill is a big ol poke in the eye to healthcare providers. I think just keeping it focused on limiting opiate prescriptions (the original intent of the bill as I understand) would have been less controversial and could have been much more productive.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Guy Farting posted:

"Defensive medicine" is also (in part) wrapped up in predatory billing practices. You need to "get" that US medicine is currently a stack of salesmen standing on the shoulders of predators who are bred by b-schoolers and lawyers. They are not some beleaguered underdogs hurting from fantasy "frivolous" lawsuits.

Doctors Order More Lab Tests When They Own the Labs
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-16/doctors-order-more-lab-tests-when-they-own-the-labs

Many studies have concluded that paying physicians for each service that they provide creates incentives for physicians to increase the volume of services, which also increases their income and society’s spending for health car
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22944/

The allure of profitable services has led to increased physician ownership of ambulatory surgical, imaging, and endoscopy centers and other freestanding facilities such as specialty hospitals.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22944/

Lax regulations and fee-for-service payment make an irresistible mix for physician conflicts.
http://www.managedcaremag.com/content/enduring-temptation-physician-self-referral

quote:

Surgeries increased more rapidly among owners of ASCs “than their counterparts who didn’t have ownership status,” says John Hollingsworth, MD, a University of Michigan urologist and economist.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
Thank you for the citations. I continue to agree with your points, but the proposed bill doesn't address this, which is my point. This bill doesn't get us anywhere closer to fixing the issues that you bring up.

edit: I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but I hope you guys see that this bill is designed to create controversy and distract voters from thinking about real drivers of cost. However I am pretty confident in saying that this bill will do nothing to reduce cost of care. It could improve quality of care by reducing the frequency of doctor shopping for opiates, but it will also likely increase cost and paradoxically reduce quality of care by increasing the frequency of unnecessary lab testing.

Guy Farting fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 30, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Guy Farting posted:

Thank you for the citations. I continue to agree with your points, but the proposed bill doesn't address this, which is my point. This bill doesn't get us anywhere closer to fixing the issues that you bring up.

edit: I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but I hope you guys see that this bill is designed to create controversy and distract voters from thinking about real drivers of cost. However I am pretty confident in saying that this bill will do nothing to reduce cost of care. It could improve quality of care by reducing the frequency of doctor shopping for opiates, but it will also likely increase cost and paradoxically reduce quality of care by increasing the frequency of unnecessary lab testing.
I don't see improving quality of care as the goal of the bill. The goal of the bill is to make sure that people injured by malpractice can actually be made whole. "It won't improve care" is a distraction unto itself and not a reason to vote against it.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why doctors getting drug tested is a bad thing. Is it because it's only supposed to humiliate lower-wage workers or something? Plus when there are glorious examples for doctors in the world like Dr. Suresh Nair maybe some drug testing now and then isn't necessarily a bad thing?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fits my needs posted:

I don't understand why doctors getting drug tested is a bad thing. Is it because it's only supposed to humiliate lower-wage workers or something? Plus when there are glorious examples for doctors in the world like Dr. Suresh Nair maybe some drug testing now and then isn't necessarily a bad thing?

Because, I believe that it requires drug testing when off duty. I don't care if my doctor smokes a joint after work.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Because, I believe that it requires drug testing when off duty. I don't care if my doctor smokes a joint after work.

Well I don't really either, but are you planning on voting against it then? You want people to not be able to get adequate compensation after a doctor's malpractice because you want him/her to be able smoke a joint after work?

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
I disagree. If this bill passes then CA will take a step backwards with regards to actually caring for harmed patients. We will further entrench the current system. Malpractice suits don't come anywhere close to making patients whole. And what about the patients who lose their cases but still deserve help? This bill ignores them.

Errors will continue to happen. Instead of rewarding successful litigation, we should be studying errors to reduce their frequency. We could be voting on bills to increase patient safety research funding or mandating third party mediation following a medical error.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Guy Farting posted:

I disagree. If this bill passes then CA will take a step backwards with regards to actually caring for harmed patients. We will further entrench the current system. Malpractice suits don't come anywhere close to making patients whole. And what about the patients who lose their cases but still deserve help? This bill ignores them.

Errors will continue to happen. Instead of rewarding successful litigation, we should be studying errors to reduce their frequency. We could be voting on bills to increase patient safety research funding or mandating third party mediation following a medical error.

Rewarding litigation? We're making people whole for doctor gently caress-ups. Yes, money doesn't make up for it, but it sure helps more than nothing and a few words about how we'll learn not to do it again. An example not from medicine. My mother was shot in the 3rd grade by a bunch of rich assholes. She lost sight out of her right eye. She won a fairly substantial lawsuit against the parents. While this didn't bring her eye back, it did means she could go to college on the money and get a Ph.D. Is it as good as an eye, but it gave someone who was knocked down by someone else a leg up.
Why do you doctors think you are deserving of more legal protection than cops, lawyers, firefighters, or anyone else?
I agree we should do more to protect patients and make sure errors are reduced. Saying however that because we haven't done that we should prevent those injured by doctors from recovery makes as much sense as saying that we can't help the dreamers until we seal up the borders.
Finally, if we even agree that the $250k cap made sense back when it was imposed, when that was the equivalent for a million dollars, how can you seriously oppose it declining in real terms every year?

nm fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 30, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fits my needs posted:

Because drug testing isn't free and its a meaningless cost that will get passed on to customers.

Also this:

nm posted:

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
YES MEAN YES
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/09/29/352482932/california-enacts-yes-means-yes-law-defining-sexual-consent?sc=tw

quote:

"Lack of protest or resistance does not mean consent," the law states, "nor does silence mean consent. Affirmative consent must be ongoing throughout a sexual activity and can be revoked at any time."

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty

nm posted:

Rewarding litigation? We're making people whole for doctor gently caress-ups. Yes, money doesn't make up for it, but it sure helps more than nothing and a few words about how we'll learn not to do it again. An example not from medicine. My mother was shot in the 3rd grade by a bunch of rich assholes. She lost sight out of her right eye. She won a fairly substantial lawsuit against the parents. While this didn't bring her eye back, it did means she could go to college on the money and get a Ph.D. Is it as good as an eye, but it gave someone who was knocked down by someone else a leg up.

Sorry about your mom. Yes, I agree if a party literally maliciously shoots somebody in the eye with a gun, then the victim is due a large amount of money from the offending party. I don't think you can compare that scenario to the patient-physician relationship.

quote:

Why do you doctors think you are deserving of more legal protection than cops, lawyers, firefighters, or anyone else?

I'm not sure what your point is here. Actions of cops and firefighters are sanctioned by the department and by proxy the government. Risk is generally diffused across the entire department and the government on some level, which can absorb higher costs. By contrast if a lone practitioner is on the receiving end of a malpractice suit, they assume sole responsibility. They and their insurance company are on the hook. The insurance company can probably absorb costs up to a point, but if the practitioner loses a large case then their premiums increase substantially and they could be forced out of the profession. You could argue that this helps filter out bad actors, but I argue that the current system does not differentiate between good actors and bad actors -- only between lucky and unlucky ones.

Also I really don't know why physician drug testing was added to this bill without leaving exceptions for marijuana. Again, a big ol poke in the eye.

vv Yes! Not the only reason but luck plays a big part! "only" was probably too strong of a word thanks for quoting me before I had a chance to edit it out

Guy Farting fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 30, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Guy Farting posted:

I'm not sure what your point is here. Actions of cops and firefighters are sanctioned by the department and by proxy the government. Risk is generally diffused across the entire department and the government on some level, which can absorb higher costs. By contrast if a lone practitioner is on the receiving end of a malpractice suit, they assume sole responsibility. They and their insurance company are on the hook. The insurance company can probably absorb costs up to a point, but if the practitioner loses a large case then their premiums increase substantially and they could be forced out of the profession. You could argue that this helps filter out bad actors, but I argue that the current system does not differentiate between good actors and bad actors -- only between lucky and unlucky ones.

Yes, the only thing that is different between a doctor that looses a lot of malpractice suits and one that doesn't is luck :rolleyes:.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm a registered Democrat and I got my second political survey phone call of the year. They always seem to start mildly before they start asking leading questions that are biased towards the conservative candidate. Like would you vote for a candidate who votes with Obama as we spend our way towards record deficits, or would you vote for a candidate with real world business experience. \ I started getting calls from Democratic Party volunteers months earlier but those were calls asking if I was still going to vote and if I could volunteer some time to canvas or phone bank.

Do California Republicans have to deal with the same sort of phone calls?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

I'm a registered Democrat and I got my second political survey phone call of the year. They always seem to start mildly before they start asking leading questions that are biased towards the conservative candidate. Like would you vote for a candidate who votes with Obama as we spend our way towards record deficits, or would you vote for a candidate with real world business experience. \ I started getting calls from Democratic Party volunteers months earlier but those were calls asking if I was still going to vote and if I could volunteer some time to canvas or phone bank.

Do California Republicans have to deal with the same sort of phone calls?

What interest groups have you on their mailing lists? That's usually how that happens, someone "middle of the road" sold their list to a R interest group or candidate and they sell amongst each other.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In California with our open primary system there's not much benefit to registering with a party rather than independent anymore, right?

I've been registered I since ~1993 so I don't really notice.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

What interest groups have you on their mailing lists? That's usually how that happens, someone "middle of the road" sold their list to a R interest group or candidate and they sell amongst each other.

Off hand they'd include NAMI, a local environmental group, the American Red Cross. It's not like I don't let them know I'm very liberal Democrat and that I'll vote party line. Not because I necessarily support the candidates, but for convenience and the chance for my vote making a marginal difference.

gently caress, I just remembered something. Sometime around 2002 I volunteered for a republican candidate in a solidly R district because he was less conservative than the incumbent he wanted to replace. The incumbent won handily. That was probably it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Trabisnikof posted:

Because drug testing isn't free and its a meaningless cost that will get passed on to customers.

Reminder that drug testing is a hugely lucrative field that has been at the center of several controversies recently, due to it being an absolutely gigantic handout to those companies.

Also, it's not like you aren't tested already in order to receive your medical license or if you happen to gently caress up and kill someone (in certain circumstances that indicate it).

Additionally this testing would include alcohol mouthswab screening, which is meant to catch traces within 12 hours and can indicate up to 16-18. So it looks like doctors are all teetotalers now, not to mention a lack of provisions for marijuana which is almost even more laughable for indications.

Finally, if they really wanted to be serious about this testing then it would also include other healthcare workers like nurses. Or EMT/paramedics. Or medical/lab technicians.

Hell, why not include anyone holding public office? Each of their jobs affects the lives of vastly more of the electorate than any single doctor could ever hope to touch.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

In California with our open primary system there's not much benefit to registering with a party rather than independent anymore, right?

I've been registered I since ~1993 so I don't really notice.

We don't have an open primary for presidential primaries, and the Republicans only let registered Republicans vote in their primary. So if you want to game the Republicans you have to register -R. (I know people who do this for the comedy option)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

California's presidential primary is so late that it is basically irrelevant. By the time we get to vote, the D and R national candidates are already fait accompli.

I've thought about that whole "lol vote for the wrong Repub" but I seem to recall actually being allowed to do that as an I some years ago. I think the rule was that when I enter the voting place, as an I, I was allowed to ask for the ballot for any specific party?

That might have changed though.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

California's presidential primary is so late that it is basically irrelevant. By the time we get to vote, the D and R national candidates are already fait accompli.

I've thought about that whole "lol vote for the wrong Repub" but I seem to recall actually being allowed to do that as an I some years ago. I think the rule was that when I enter the voting place, as an I, I was allowed to ask for the ballot for any specific party?

That might have changed though.

Rs - only allow Rs to vote in their primary
Ds - allow Ds and Is to vote in their primary
Other parties - (I think) allow anyone to vote in their primary

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Pete Rates the Propositions has started filling in his voting guide for this year. I agree with him most of the time (though not always), but even when I don't, his thoughts are informative.

So far only one prop has details but I'm sure he'll fill in the rest in short order.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

I gotta say, a lot of people on the internet are upset about this. It's pretty hilarious.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Family Values posted:

Pete Rates the Propositions has started filling in his voting guide for this year. I agree with him most of the time (though not always), but even when I don't, his thoughts are informative.

So far only one prop has details but I'm sure he'll fill in the rest in short order.

"At $1.1 million, it will be far higher than in any other state."
Provides link to source that quickly shows that isn't true as many states have no cap. Mhum. . . .

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Bizarro Watt posted:

I gotta say, a lot of people on the internet are upset about this. It's pretty hilarious.

The coorelation between hamburger/carl's jr avatars and bad comments and the NPR website is so goddamned choice...

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

nm posted:

"At $1.1 million, it will be far higher than in any other state."
Provides link to source that quickly shows that isn't true as many states have no cap. Mhum. . . .

I suspect that the link he provides is out of date. For instance, according to that link Alabama has no cap on non-economic damages, but Alabama enacted a $400k limit in 2009.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Bizarro Watt posted:

I don't get how hard it is to ask someone if they really want you to put your dick in them. How hard is that? Not the dick, the question.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Pohl posted:

I don't get how hard it is to ask someone if they really want you to put your dick in them. How hard is that? Not the dick, the question.
Hell, you don't even need to ask "would you like to have sexual intercourse" like a robot (regardless how much internet nerds seem to think otherwise). If things start heating up with your partner, just ask them what they want to do. I'm pretty sure a woman saying she wants you to gently caress her is affirmative consent.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Hell, you don't even need to ask "would you like to have sexual intercourse" like a robot (regardless how much internet nerds seem to think otherwise). If things start heating up with your partner, just ask them what they want to do. I'm pretty sure a woman saying she wants you to gently caress her is affirmative consent.

poo poo, anyone that has a problem with this law is questionable. I've never once doubted that my partner was into it. How big of a fuckup does it have to be for you not to know your partner was willing?

I don't understand why this law is bad, because holy poo poo, people that want to gently caress you will let you know.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Hell, "do you have any condoms/do you want me to get a condom" is a pretty reasonable question when things get heated (an uncomfortable silence is usually a huge blindingly obvious hint that maybe you should check in with your partner).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There are a lot of men who think you "wear down" a woman into sex with you. That the initial "no" or "get out of my face" or "I have a boyfriend" is a challenge they must conquer. These men are then frightened by the idea that they might have to actually get stated consent and then she might say no and then "all their work is lost because she changed her mind". Unfortunately, this is also the way romance is portrayed in a ton of media.