Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Your next new character: 4-star female Thor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldom
Feb 19, 2009

The governor has given a rats-alert advising people to stay in their homes.
Remember when we had a few months without new characters every week?

Those were good times.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Remember when Bag-Man was the worst character? Oh wait.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Remember when this game was fun and a good game hahah just kidding it never has been

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm having fun with it... I'm pretty new still though, the grinding gets a little old, but I don't shoot for top 20 or anything. I do hate myself for spending 40 bucks on the game so far, but I've wasted more money on less entertainment before so it's really no big deal I guess.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I spent 40 bucks on spiderman then he got nerfed. :v:

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

I'm having fun with it... I'm pretty new still though, the grinding gets a little old, but I don't shoot for top 20 or anything. I do hate myself for spending 40 bucks on the game so far, but I've wasted more money on less entertainment before so it's really no big deal I guess.

I agree. I'm coming up on 6 months played, I spend maybe $5 a month to make room for a new hero or secure a PvP spot for a cover I want. It takes a LONG time to transition to a 3-star roster, but I like that. My 3-stars are just starting to become viable choices, & it feels really satisfying.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mmmm, stockholm syndrome.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Honestly I should revise that to say that the game is actually a bit of fun until you move past the magic "3-star transition point" at which time you will always be matched against full teams of 3 and 4 stars forever. At that point it is a pathetic whale playground that is barely even worth playing while taking a poo poo

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Syrinxx posted:

Honestly I should revise that to say that the game is actually a bit of fun until you move past the magic "3-star transition point" at which time you will always be matched against full teams of 3 and 4 stars forever. At that point it is a pathetic whale playground that is barely even worth playing while taking a poo poo

Once you're past the 3-star transition, how are whales even a thing? Are 270 Fury/X-force Wolvie teams really that pervasive? So much so that you can't skip them?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I stopped playing seriously for a while and got back into this a few weeks ago and looks like my mmr is sort of weird now. I'm firmly in 3-star land but keep getting 2-star pvp matchups. MMags and CStorms everywhere.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I suicided my 3* roster a few times once i started seeing only maxed teams, and I've been facing lower level and 2* teams for weeks now. I don't tend to grind pvp that much though, i aim to get the lowest score for a 3* reward rather than top 50 or 25 or whatever.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
I face 2 star teams until 600 points in PVP, then every team goes from 2* lineups to like 90% Sentry/Daken or Hood teams. I don't even know what it's like to fight someone like Daredevil or Invisible woman outside of a special event. I tried "tanking" a few events ago and it was dumb and boring poo poo, gently caress gaming the system like that.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Sometimes on the way up I see a lot of 2 star level 76 Dakens and I wonder if no one got the memo he has a new power now.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Game was fun then the fun was balanced.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well it can be a little unbalanced sometimes.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

gently caress an extra Thor, even if this one is properly different. We're loving getting Devil Dinosaur! :toot: As a 365-day resupply reward, because gently caress you. And probably an outrageously expensive Devil Dinosaur pack which won't even guarantee one. I wish this game was still good.

Also from the Doc Ock you get to use in the first Prodigal Sun mission, by the looks of things his Blue is completely poo poo. It's just a worse Illusion with a chance of damage, if you are lucky and the board has plenty of enemy special tiles. His Black passive is great though. Filled the drat board up with attack tiles without even trying. He looks like he's only any good if the enemy has lots of special tiles though. Think he's probably better at mookslaying. Although he could probably gently caress up Sentry if he went for World Rupture.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I just got a Nick Fury dropped from an Eight is Enough token. Sold off Juggernaut to get him in my roster, but I wonder how long it's going to take before he's even useful (unless they run another event soon where he's an essential). I also find myself barely interested enough to go through Prodigal Sun again. My Spider-Man is already at power cap so I don't even need him as a reward.

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum

fishtobaskets posted:

Once you're past the 3-star transition, how are whales even a thing? Are 270 Fury/X-force Wolvie teams really that pervasive? So much so that you can't skip them?
I've been playing since the beginning and have 3 max-level 3-star characters, and another 10 or so that have 10-13 covers and are between levels 100-125. About half of the teams in PvP have a 270 X-force Wolverine. The rest of the teams are made up of the same 6 max-level characters (LazyTrio, Patch, Magneto, Hulk) with about 1 in 10 teams having something different. Usually the featured character is max level too, but in Eight is Enough I am seeing quite a few below level 200, which is refreshing.

PvP is a huge slog. It's nearly impossible to get through a match without taking significant damage, or needing to skip a dozen+ times to find a squishier opponent. Neither outcome is terribly fun.

PvE is great; With some characters being restricted, and others being buffed, it actually lets (forces) me to play with my full roster. And I can usually play more than 2-3 matches without needing to use medkits. (Probably only fun because I have a full roster, if you didn't already have a full lineup of max-level 2-stars and enough playable 3-stars, it may not be as fun).

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Having a 5/5/3 xforce that I dusted off and decided to level (even just to 180) and use changed my outlook on the game vastly.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Having a 5/5/3 xforce that I dusted off and decided to level (even just to 180) and use changed my outlook on the game vastly.

Yup. Got mine up to 130 and it's made a huge difference. Bad news is that more and more people are figuring this out.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Is it just me, or are the rewards in the simulator bullshit? I have to get to 1600 points before I see anything remotely worthwhile? I'm getting max-level 2* teams at 1000 points, there's no way I'm going to get a useful cover out of this for months, if ever.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Mine is 2/2/1 - still worth levelling or should I wait?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Wolfsbane posted:

Is it just me, or are the rewards in the simulator bullshit? I have to get to 1600 points before I see anything remotely worthwhile? I'm getting max-level 2* teams at 1000 points, there's no way I'm going to get a useful cover out of this for months, if ever.

It's bullshit. Only reason to do simulator is if you can set up matches with potential for 30+ pts. to go toward your overall score for the season. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm just getting to the point where I can reliably pull down 400 points in a PVP event. I've hit 500 a few times and I'm stretching to get the 10 heroic token pack for this season. I have a Level 94 Ares, AWolvie, OBW, Lvl 80 C.Storm and I have Daken, Thor, and MNMags in the 60's.

Not sure who to focus leveling on right now, Ares, Daken + OBW is my go to team right now so I've been putting most of it in Daken. He's at 4/4/5 right now which seems like a good build. Ares or Thor/C.Storm/MNMags is my B team, but it's poo poo for defense. Take out C.Storm and the team is dead.

Also what should I do with all these 3 star covers? I have 20 different 3 star guys on my roster, and none of them have more than 5 covers (my highest is a 0/3/2 Psylocke), and over half of them are single cover dudes. I can't place high enough in events to really pull down more 3 star covers, so the majority of those have come as progression rewards or very lucky token drops. I'll go read the 2 to 3 star progression guide again.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 6, 2014

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

GTO posted:

Mine is 2/2/1 - still worth levelling or should I wait?

Really no point until you have 5 green and/or black (mostly black)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good luck getting full 3* anythings these days. There's so many 3* characters that assembling one from random drops is going to be insane. Doesnt help that a lot of them are pretty middling as well.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Good luck getting full 3* anythings these days. There's so many 3* characters that assembling one from random drops is going to be insane. Doesnt help that a lot of them are pretty middling as well.

Yeah I've filled out a lot of 3* heroes for covers but no iso to level them anyway. PvP is a boring grind at about 800 points for me as it is all 166 daken/hood/sentry... it is perverse for a game's beginning to be more fun than the end game but I guess that is the Pay 2 Win model?

At least having a few more 3* makes PvE better for persistence/variety... basically I agree with Puweyxil before, whale's playground. Patchneto evened things out at least for you to try achieve a score then shield strategically, now I just give up when I start seeing the fully maxed out teams.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The anniversary tokens are kind of fun. 10% chance of Devil Dinosaur, and a tiny chance at 20,000 iso or 2900 HP.

e: oh, and the first single purchased is only 50hp. That's tempting...

e2: AND Tex-Mex appears to be against AI only a lot longer than usual. I'm up to 200 points and I've only fought AI teams. This is very cathartic coming from a game that loving hates my guts the other 51 weeks of the year.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 10, 2014

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

fishtobaskets posted:

The anniversary tokens are kind of fun. 10% chance of Devil Dinosaur, and a tiny chance at 20,000 iso or 2900 HP.

e: oh, and the first single purchased is only 50hp. That's tempting...

I just got a Devil Dinosaur with my free token, and Invisible Woman from the discounted one I just bought. :hellyeah:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I pulled 2 anniversary tokens so far, and both were purple Devil Dino. Why did it have to be purple?

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
I've gotten four tokens (two from pvp, the free one, and the purchased one). Got a red Devil Dinosaur and a 2* human torch from the PVP, Invisible Woman from the 50hp one (sad face), and a Deadpool purple from the free one.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
And now I got a Nick Fury from my third anniversary token, drat.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

skipdogg posted:

I pulled 2 anniversary tokens so far, and both were purple Devil Dino. Why did it have to be purple?

Yeah, I got purples too.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I paid 50hp for an anniversary token and got.. Moonstone.

On top of my 10 pack reward for the current season that was all 2*'s.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That blows. I just got my 10 pack for this season, and the only thing useful to me was a Purple GSBW. The rest were 2star covers I don't need. Actually I pulled a green Invisible Woman cover, but I don't need it right now, thinking about selling it for the 1K ISO.

Q: Is Ragnarok worth burning a roster spot on? I have a couple of 3 star covers for him waiting, but no empty slots. He doesn't seem that great TBH.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Rag is garbage, but there's talks of revamps on all the 2 power 3*s out there so who knows he may be the next xforce.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Is there a goon alliance I can get in on? Got booted from my last one after not having internet for a few months.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Rag is garbage, but there's talks of revamps on all the 2 power 3*s out there so who knows he may be the next xforce.

If you ended up keeping him at least they are giving more covers for Balance of Power lol... was hoping for Devil Dino tourney or it to be the next one after but no...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I never used 2-star Hawkeye before he got changed, but dang if he isn't a pretty kickass support character now. Speed shot can stack with multiple crits (having 9 on the board is pretty hilarious), and I like that you can choose where to put the blue/red countdown tiles so you can stick them in a corner.

I don't think he'll win a match by himself, but he makes a great compliment to a standard tank/dps type team. For crit-generators like MNMags polarity shift & GSBW deceptive tactics, he's pretty ridiculous.