Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Nintendo Kid posted:

No it isn't. It actually handles FM stereo and poo poo. It's overpriced and doesn't really do what they claim (the only tunes to one station thing, they can all be tuned by moving a potentiometer on the circuit board) but it would sound great and have very good reception unlike a crystal radio.

Incidentally, a build-your-own-FM-radio kit for kids of comparable quality typically would cost $20 - $25 including all parts and instructions, albeit taking up more space since it's not designed to fit in a twee little jar.

So it put in a regular-sized mason jar. Also, you could probably just get an FM radio from dollar tree that you could take out of it's plastic case, and it would fit in the twee little mason jar. Shoot, you could put an android computer on a stick in a mason jar for under 50...

BRB starting an android computer in a twee mason jar kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Ultraklystron posted:

BRB starting an android computer in a twee mason jar kickstarter.

Completely serious, unironic statement: if you pull that off, you will clear 100k easy.

Somehow make it an iOS compatible device instead of android and you're looking at 500k+

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stick Insect posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432780912/decadent-minimalist-one-aluminum-wallet

Another wallet. Wallets never fail, this one has passed its goal and still has 55 days left on the clock. The first reward level is intended for people who don't need the product. So you get nothing.

isn't minimalism literally the opposite of decadence? also, countdown until someone puts in the same pocket as their phone and scratches the gently caress out of it.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

lorn Wayne posted:

Completely serious, unironic statement: if you pull that off, you will clear 100k easy.

Somehow make it an iOS compatible device instead of android and you're looking at 500k+

The sad thing is, I have one of those android computers on a stick gathering dust. It's literally just dremel work for me to make a fully functional prototype.

"Artisan, Hand-Crafted Android Mason Jar Computer/Media Center" seems like a sadly plausible item, doesn't it?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Nah, just make it a rasberry pi case twee mason jar, which is just a twee mason jar with a hole in the lid for whatever cables.

Twee is a fun word to say. :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Twee is a very twee word. I wanna punch all the manic pixie kids who use it

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Baron Snow posted:

Nah, just make it a rasberry pi case twee mason jar, which is just a twee mason jar with a hole in the lid for whatever cables.

Twee is a fun word to say. :v:

I sadly also have the RasPi sitting unused as well.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Ultraklystron posted:

I sadly also have the RasPi sitting unused as well.

Save it for the stretch goal at $10 million.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

lorn Wayne posted:

Save it for the stretch goal at $10 million.

Oh, so is $1 million where I bundle a mad catz deal extreme custom, bluetooth game controller, or where I provide an offbrand wifi dongle with it's plastic shell off in the jar enhanced wireless connectivity?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
hey guys, pay us 30,000$ to make literally a hunk of plastic:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nophone-usa/nophone-0

because that's the joke, ha ha, get it?

Kickstarter staff pick, featured on c|net, techcrunch, and wapo.

Pretty dumb poo poo, but I learned about it from this blog post:

http://birthdaypartyprincess.tumblr.com/post/98544685740/ryans-lion

Long story short, she expresses a feeling I've experienced numerous times following this thread: people are spending their money on crappy little overpriced tchotchkes that will just end up in a landfill, while this awesome kid she knows named Ryan, who has massive medical bills and is in a lovely place, could really use that money instead.

If any of you are the type that gets kind of jaded at all the crap in this thread and would rather feel like something cool can be done with crowdfunding, you should totally throw in ten bucks or more to this kid who, if you read that post, is pretty cool. I really can't afford it because of some medical junk of my own that's come up, but I'm in for at least 12 bucks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

isn't minimalism literally the opposite of decadence? also, countdown until someone puts in the same pocket as their phone and scratches the gently caress out of it.

I don't think aluminum is hard enough to scratch smartphone glass. I've got a wallet similar to what they're making and it hasn't been a problem. Of course, that begs the question why 458 people are buying this rather than already available and much cheaper options that actually look good.

I mean, gently caress, they're seriously selling it with their domain name laser engraved on the wallet?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pathetic little tramp posted:

hey guys, pay us 30,000$ to make literally a hunk of plastic:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nophone-usa/nophone-0

because that's the joke, ha ha, get it?
Kickstarter staff pick, featured on c|

If any of those testimonials are real then those people need to be committed to an asylum.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

South Park just did a episode on Kickstarter. Combined with the potato salad thing, expect a lot more "ironic" Kickstarters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of potato salad, that guy really did call out loud every backer's name while making potato salad. The video is nearly 4 hours long.

PotatoStock, the actual event where people got to taste the potato salad, was apparently a few days ago.

Edit: here's a field report from someone who attended the event

quote:

studiotau about 16 hours ago

My husband and I drove from Illinois to Ohio for the blessed event and arrived in time for the kitchen prep party held at Piada's corporate headquarters. Piada was *amazing* and did a fantastic job making everyone feel welcome. The Idaho Spud Team were in attendance and you couldn't meet a friendlier bunch - we had such terrific conversations with them over the whole course of the day. Even Zack's family was there, and they shared stories about Zack and the whole Potato unfolding.

Zack himself was friendly, approachable and spent time talking personally with everyone who came. (about 20 of us there) He is as funny and gracious as he appears online. We got to watch as he personally mix up giant batches of the very potato salad we would be eating later in the day.

We all headed over to the Columbus Commons and we all pitched in to help set up the area, and then waited for the main event to begin. The food trucks arrived, the carousel was engaged and big foam blocks were placed in the middle of a large field. The kids came early and the family friendly music performers began playing first.

People started arriving and there was two different kinds of potato salad to sample. (both excellent) Homage came later and sold out of their green Peace, Love & Potato Salad shirts within an hour. (glad I got mine early!) The Idaho Potato team held spuddy buddy contests and offered potato sack races for the kids.

The music kept on coming, right along with the people - there was a decent turn out for almost the entirety of the event. It made for some awesome people watching. Zack kept touching base with us personally over the course of the day, and it made us feel entirely special. He really went the extra mile.

His event was almost entirely staffed by his crew of hilarious friends, and it was fun to watch them all interact. It really was a giant undertaking and they handled it with aplomb and good humor. It was a joy to watch them enjoy the task and one another.

I was so glad we got to make the trip. I will never forget it and my thanks go out to Zack, his crew and all the other vendors that came to enrich our experience.

Peace Love & Potato Salad Forever!

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Sep 29, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Man why you gotta have principles tossed salad man. Unlike some people

Sandweed posted:

South Park just did a episode on Kickstarter. Combined with the potato salad thing, expect a lot more "ironic" Kickstarters.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vtu-productions/washington-redskins-testicle-paintings?ref=nav_search

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1230712241/the-washington-redskins?ref=nav_search

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1244779028/fried-chicken-for-the-north

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of chicken, a bag of spices, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually moved up North (look at the Kickstarter!), looked up chicken recipes, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have a kitchen, albeit without a nice pot to do the frying in. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/kitchen might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and chicken faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat fried chicken ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate fried chicken and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat fried chicken, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

Fried chicken is hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in one of the biggest towns in the most Northern of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he doesn't know how to make fried chicken. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Steve Pocher's fried chicken, but I want to believe in it. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a large town where the median household income is 49 grand and googling "fried chicken restaurant Boston" yields 7 million results. A guy making chicken in his own kitchen, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a displaced southern's kitchen appliance purchase in Boston, Massachusetts. That is something I want to be part of. "Steve Pocher's Chicken" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the gently caress happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Steve Pocher's house, eat some fried chicken, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are nothing like fried chicken. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry guy living anywhere who wants his fried chicken recipe, they can have it. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for fried chicken instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

Hello Meow has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Sep 30, 2014

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Hello Meow posted:

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of chicken, a bag of spices, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually moved up North (look at the Kickstarter!), looked up chicken recipes, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have a kitchen, albeit without a nice pot to do the frying in. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/kitchen might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and chicken faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat fried chicken ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate fried chicken and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat fried chicken, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

Fried chicken is hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in one of the biggest towns in the most Northern of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he doesn't know how to make fried chicken. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Steve Pocher's fried chicken, but I want to believe in it. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a large town where the median household income is 49 grand and googling "fried chicken restaurant Boston" yields 7 million results. A guy making chicken in his own kitchen, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a displaced southern's kitchen appliance purchase in Boston, Massachusetts. That is something I want to be part of. "Steve Pocher's Chicken" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the gently caress happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Steve Pocher's house, eat some fried chicken, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are nothing like fried chicken. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry guy living anywhere who wants his fried chicken recipe, they can have it. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for fried chicken instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

is this a verbatim quote from the start of doobies

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009
yes that's the joke

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Chwoka posted:

is this a verbatim quote from the start of doobies

no it's an unironic opinion in support of fried chicken what do you loving think it is?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
i'm not sure you know what 'verbatim' means

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

This is seriously some Onion fake product poo poo

HattrickWear: The Augmented Reality Hat

An Affordable, powerful and Open for all: augmented reality headset. Help us free A.R. from corporate politics; while looking cool ;-)

quote:

+Let’s start with: Why?

Don't you hate it...

When a great technology gets trapped in corporate politics!

When the price tag becomes an obstacle between a hacker and his wear!
Ladies & Gentlemen,

Like it or hate it; Augmented Reality is coming... soon the world will have more A.R. headsets than mobile phones …

But unfortunately, the whole industry is fragmented… every company will restrict its tools to its own languages and apps … and we are afraid that A.R. will be trapped in such corporate politics…

So, we decided to do something about it …

Where we all stand together to advance this great technology …

Something any one can use, on any smart phone…

Something any hacker can program on; using any languages…

Something affordable and reliable for serious real life solutions …

An open A.R. solution; hardware and software for all …

:what:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Alan Smithee posted:

HattrickWear: The Augmented Reality Hat

So they're trying to "free the AR" from being tethered to one of a handful of giant companies? By creating their own third party platform? Now where on earth have I heard that before...

I'm sure this won't be a terrible, poorly-optimized failure. :)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

dijon du jour posted:

So they're trying to "free the AR" from being tethered to one of a handful of giant companies? By creating their own third party platform? Now where on earth have I heard that before...

I'm sure this won't be a terrible, poorly-optimized failure. :)

It's not a platform, though. It's a hat that you plug your phone into.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

That's not the worst part.

"Hi, my name is T-man, and I'm walking past you with my human and easily punchable face open to see for all.
Also, I CAN SEE YOU NAKED."

Eagerly awaiting the fedora edition.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

T-man posted:

That's not the worst part.

"Hi, my name is T-man, and I'm walking past you with my human and easily punchable face open to see for all.
Also, I CAN SEE YOU NAKED."

Eagerly awaiting the fedora edition.

"No officer I don't know why that woman ran up to me screaming and smashed my hatphone with a brick when she saw me looking at the school playground as I walked by. :reddit:"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hello Meow posted:

I knew Noni and you, sir, are no Noni.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I miss Noni. :(

Could we start a Kickstarter to get him back or something?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Whenever a goon makes a post that is five times as long as it is funny, Noni is there.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Teve's
Hicken Shac

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Bear Senpai: Date The Bear of Your Dreams

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nah they are scamming ouya

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Men, have you always wished you could masturbate with a weird robot hand? Well now you can.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-handie-adult-novelty-for-men#description

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tears In A Vial posted:

Men, have you always wished you could masturbate with a weird robot hand? Well now you can.

quote:

Men are unfortunately limited to tubes and dolls when it comes to pleasure products. You would think by 2014 guys would have something else, something new and improved - a device that solves all of the problems guys have with these toys. Well toys are for babies. It’s time men enjoy the all-in-one finishing tool - The Handie!

This isn't a toy, it's a tool. I'm an adult!

Why won't anyone take me seriously?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

door Door door posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/358468212/the-public-radio-the-single-station-fm-radio A radio. That only has one station. In a mason Jar. People are such loving idiots.

Don't worry they have a plan if you want to change the station

quote:

Send the radio back to us. For a $10 fee, we'll retune it to your new favorite station and ship it back to you ASAP.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dMastri posted:

Don't worry they have a plan if you want to change the station

It's not just tuning, it's artisanal tuning. That costs money.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Every time I hear about those hipster kickstarters, I'm reminded of this skit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvcD4Czx4Y

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Isn't that what Grindr is for

Tears In A Vial posted:

Yes who hasn't fantasizes about getting jo by a frankenhand

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Why bother? You know these are getting left on whichever NPR affiliate plays the most Wait Wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tears In A Vial posted:

Somebody needs to quote the picture because GOD drat :stonk:

Nightmare.jpg

Seriously that's like the most unappealing thing I've ever seen in my entire life. Kill it with fire, from orbit.