Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Clearly Legend of Korra Season 5 would have global religious terrorists as villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
MAKO has finally found his purpose: being the audience's annoyance surrogate.

So Kuvira's gonna launch a coup. That shouldn't be a bad thing but status quo is writer will of god.

A few of the voices were too familiar. Stop hiring Zhao.

It looks like they're going to shift the wackiness onto the third class of avatar degrassi.

On one hand it's obvious that Kuvira is consolidating power rather than uniting the EK. On the other hand the governor probably wanted to keep his state independent and for that he's not a saint.( He's not even a smart saint.) Dick moves have to be made when you're nation building.

Kuzco has become a wealthy version of Bolin. poo poo.

The Air Nation idea looks like it's failing. Maybe that's because people have adapted to your tricks and figured out the blaring weakness of your monkey suit. Bring back the staff and use it to block swords!

Did Tenzin finally allow his wife to stop making babies?

Underground earthbending circuit redeems pro bending but 6 months still isn't that long a period of travelling.

Wasted opportunity #79: I should be rooting for the air nomads but again I'm really sympathetic toward the villains. Nuance only works when the side you're rooting for has its own pros that we can see. Instead of having the only two air masters hanging out at fancy parties all episode, you could have had one of them walk out of a busy communication hub and then sit down to eat.

At least I'm looking forward to episodes that focus on Korra.

I don't think there was a hard coup in tsau fu. It looks like Kuvira just won a vote of confidence.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I really don't think that reading the Equalists as Communists makes much sense, since like their entire deal is breaking up the solidarity of the lower classes by (with the help of a literal capitalist captain of industry!) channeling the resentment of nonbenders against benders as a scapegoat.

Like, season one hits us over the head with the fact that bending or non-bending isn't correlated with class or social standing (Remember how there was a whole episode about how the Satos are rich as gently caress and Mako and Bolin are barely scraping by? Remember how in the last episode when they're hiding out underground with that bum in the secret Hooverville place he just out and out says that benders and nonbenders are all the same down there?), and we know from ATLA that within living memory bending as a cultural practice in three out of four nations was singled out for extermination by the fourth nation.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Rincewind posted:

I really don't think that reading the Equalists as Communists makes much sense, since like their entire deal is breaking up the solidarity of the lower classes by (with the help of a literal capitalist captain of industry!) channeling the resentment of nonbenders against benders as a scapegoat.

Like, season one hits us over the head with the fact that bending or non-bending isn't correlated with class or social standing (Remember how there was a whole episode about how the Satos are rich as gently caress and Mako and Bolin are barely scraping by? Remember how in the last episode when they're hiding out underground with that bum in the secret Hooverville place he just out and out says that benders and nonbenders are all the same down there?), and we know from ATLA that within living memory bending as a cultural practice in three out of four nations was singled out for extermination by the fourth nation.

Amon is Taiping, Unaloque is radical anabaptist Geneva and Kuvira is either Kemal or Napoleon.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
This time-jump does wonders for rejuvenating interest in the show (well, that and the quality of Book 3).

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The flying squirrel suits are loving stupid.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Korra :(

Also, it's up on Nick.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

...kinda, yeah. Put on your garishly colored yellow monk robes already :mad:

Nonetheless, glad to see it's back. While the episode was rather uneventful, I'm definitely hooked - I can't wait to see what kind of clusterfuck this will turn into. There's no chance Kuvora didn't hire those bandits herself, they seemed far too professional; makes me wonder if the twinblade dude will show up again... I mean, at this point it's just a matter of time before we get someone metalbending a sword to swordfight at a distance, right? Hell, given Combustion Lady's death last season, why not an entire suit of armor? It would be pretty sweet to have someone who could basically emulate Silver Chariot from JJBA...

I'm also surprised how much I actually care for Bolin and Opal. He just looks so sad and confused at the end! Here's hope they tune it down a little this time, given how we've got a much more obvious comic relief nearby. Still, they handled their relationship really well in S3, looking forward to the inevitable drama. "Don't believe everything she says", indeed.

And, finally: the underground earthbending at the end. Guess it was inevitable that Korra got punked, seeing how she's still depressed with zero fighting spirit and all. I like how grounded the battles feel, and that characters actually get hurt even when winning.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Guys maybe we should use spoiler tags.
Kuvira also has the baddest-rear end fighting style there is.

BrianWilly posted:

I'm more worried that Kuvira -- who's really awesome so far -- will pull an Unalaq :saddowns: and ends up being the one who sent the bandits after Kai and Opal, just so the governor has no choice but to turn to her protection.
Considering we saw just a few scenes earlier that Kuvira had a group of bandits pledge their loyalty to her, this is almost certainly going to happen, and I'm an idiot for not realizing it until now.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 3, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

I just don't get why they can't why they can't keep pop out staff on their backs. If you can store snacks you can store a sail. gently caress it, just give every airbender a durable umbrella.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Just saw the first episode, I'm loving stoked for this season.

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

A good episode. I hope to learn why Bolin thought it was such a great idea to help Kuvira, though.

Raiko is planning on sending Wu back to BSS now that the EK is stabilizing thanks to Kuvira's efforts. It appears she started out with good intentions to help people and bring order to the crumbling nation, but gets power hungry. Bolin is a good-natured person who likes to help people, but he is a bit dim and naive. Him not realizing right away what she's turning into makes sense. He's fighting her mecha tanks in the trailer, so he'll probably defect once her intentions are obvious. PJ Byrne said Bolin had a storyline that would force him to mature.

I do like how Kuvira has legitimate reasons for declaring herself leader of the EK. She has brought order to chaos there and Wu is a dolt from a long line of incompetent rulers. She's from a city that prides itself on progress and whose founder has publicly questioned the need for monarchy. I'm curious to see the fight they had. It's also nice to see Opal's oldest brother get some development; he was in like 1 scene of book 3.

From LoK's track record, I'm going to assume she sent the bandits in the airplane; although she could have just been waiting out the inevitable. It works better here than in Unaloq's backstory because this is well into her campaign where she's been legitimately fighting off bandits for 3 years. Unless they turn her into the ultimate puppetmaster of all bandits in the EK I'm not bothered.

I'm also going to guess that her big turning point to villain will be her wanting to take back the United Republic. She said she wouldn't celebrate until 100% of the EK is under her control, and the EQ's big beef last season was how she felt Aang and Zuko robbed the UR's land from her father.

Pumped to see Korra's solo ep next week. It looks like she's still recovering physically, so it's not just an emotional/mental recovery at this point. I like the idea of the villain this book being similar to her while she's going through a kind of identity crisis.

About the airbender's new suits: last season was all about the importance of change. I wonder if this season will balance that with the importance of tradition, and maybe the airbenders will revert back to their old ways a little.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I'm more worried that Kuvira -- who's really awesome so far -- will pull an Unalaq :saddowns: and ends up being the one who sent the bandits after Kai and Opal, just so the governor has no choice but to turn to her protection.
I'm not worried. I hated that Unalaq turned out to have been behind Tonraq's banishment in Book 2, but I wouldn't mind Kuvira using that kind of under-handed tactics. The ladies got some extreme methods and doesn't hesitate to push people around to unite the Earth Kingdom, after all. Her using shadow operatives like that just makes her more awesome as a villain.

PiedPiper posted:

A good episode. I hope to learn why Bolin thought it was such a great idea to help Kuvira, though.
He probably only sees the end result, that is him and his soldiers helping people. He probably doesn't realize the kind of methods Kuvira uses and probably still believes her to be under some kind of mandate from other world leaders.

Rincewind posted:

Amon and the Equalists always read more as Fascits than Communists to me as well. Complete with putting the all the blame on a minority that supposedly holds all the power.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

If people are wondering what Kuvira and her campaign are based on, I'm guessing it's pretty much supposed to be this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Expedition

As I have said before, we need to compare Kuvira to Asian fascists/nationalists, not western ones, to have a better picture of who she is and her goals.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

X_Toad posted:

I'm not worried. I hated that Unalaq turned out to have been behind Tonraq's banishment in Book 2, but I wouldn't mind Kuvira using that kind of under-handed tactics. The ladies got some extreme methods and doesn't hesitate to push people around to unite the Earth Kingdom, after all. Her using shadow operatives like that just makes her more awesome as a villain.

He probably only sees the end result, that is him and his soldiers helping people. He probably doesn't realize the kind of methods Kuvira uses and probably still believes her to be under some kind of mandate from other world leaders.

Amon and the Equalists always read more as Fascits than Communists to me as well. Complete with putting the all the blame on a minority that supposedly holds all the power.

The Mao imagery is mostly where people get the equalists=communists thing from. Also Book three is on itunes apparently so go check.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Considering we saw just a few scenes earlier that Kuvira had a group of bandits pledge their loyalty to her, this is almost certainly going to happen, and I'm an idiot for not realizing it until now.

The way the one female bandit reacted to her, and the bandits looking at each other confused when she told them to pledge allegiance to her, I figured the implication was that they already had.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Opal's brother sounds so familiar but I can't put a finger on it.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Its pretty obvious this is EXACTLY what is happening

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

hangedman1984 posted:

Its pretty obvious this is EXACTLY what is happening

Which is unfortunate. You can be a warlord and someone who drafts people rather than executing them.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Opal's brother sounds so familiar but I can't put a finger on it.

According to his wiki page he's voiced by Todd Haberkorn. Ring any bells?

Torquemadras posted:

I'm also surprised how much I actually care for Bolin and Opal. He just looks so sad and confused at the end! Here's hope they tune it down a little this time, given how we've got a much more obvious comic relief nearby. Still, they handled their relationship really well in S3, looking forward to the inevitable drama. "Don't believe everything she says", indeed.

I know, right? I haven't given a crap about any romance in the Avatar world so far but I was surprised at how invested I was in Bolin/Opal after this episode. I'm an unapologetic Bolin fangirl though so that may be part of it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sato posted:

According to his wiki page he's voiced by Todd Haberkorn.
Oh yeah Death the Kid from Soul Eater.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Dang, I love that we're 3 years into the future and Korra still isn't in a good place physically or mentally. I'm looking forward to that recovery arc!

Kuvira kicks all kinds of rear end too, I guess it's helpful to have infinite metal from nowhere to throw around.

I'm in the "Kuvira had bandits steal the food" camp, but I actually think it'd be more interesting if she hadn't. It's a better story in my opinion if she's consolidating power and taking away the Earth Kingdoms sweet, sweet ore, but the country is so messed up that she really is the only option. An airplane swooping in on our friendly airbenders seems like it would take more resources, both in recon and rad airplanes, than bandits have though.

I'm digging everyone's new character designs too, kind of makes me wish we'd gotten a significant time jump in ATLA. The closest we really got then was Aang growing hair for awhile.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

An airplane swooping in on our friendly airbenders seems like it would take more resources, both in recon and rad airplanes, than bandits have though.
What if it's Hiroshi?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

episode needed more Korra.

I do think we'll see the Airplane Bandit again. He seemed too badass to be a one-off, and villains in this franchise traditionally have some sort of intimidating right-hand-man.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

hiddenriverninja posted:

I've never seen any EVA thing. Am I (not) a bad anime fan?

You should watch it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I thought it was interesting how the bandit seemed to deliberately avoid hurting the air bison. Even if he never shows up again, having a bandit with a soft spot for animals is neat.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

NowonSA posted:

Kuvira kicks all kinds of rear end too, I guess it's helpful to have infinite metal from nowhere to throw around.

I honestly thought that every piece of metal she threw would be a piece of her armour but no it didn't appear that way. I mean most of the time your armour won't be as useful in terms of defense if you're fighting other benders or people with shock gauntlets so you may as well use it as another weapon

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What if it's Hiroshi?
I don't think Hiroshi would be interested in doing something like that. If he appears in the season, I think it will be because Republic City will get desperate for an engineering genius who can match Baatar and Varrick.

PupsOfWar posted:

I do think we'll see the Airplane Bandit again. He seemed too badass to be a one-off, and villains in this franchise traditionally have some sort of intimidating right-hand-man.
Speaking of : does that guy look like FMAB!Kimblee to anyone else?

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
when and where can i watch the episode

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VanSandman posted:

I thought it was interesting how the bandit seemed to deliberately avoid hurting the air bison. Even if he never shows up again, having a bandit with a soft spot for animals is neat.
Well if the bison freaks out they're kinda hosed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Great, another suspiciously benevolent leader/figure leading a movement who will almost certainly turn out to be evil and fight Korra.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Great, another suspiciously benevolent leader/figure leading a movement who will almost certainly turn out to be evil and fight Korra.
We already know she's evil they're not even hiding it. This isn't a criticism.

Well, evil by the standards of Amon and Zaheer, anyway. If she turns out to be the next Sozin then I'll be disappointed.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 3, 2014

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
It seems odd Bolin is working for Kuvira if she did something that really hurt Opal's family. I hope Suyin is alright. :smith:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Bolin has a habit of failing in with the wrong crowd it's been established pretty hard

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Sitting around in a special metal city while war orphans go hungry isn't that inspiring.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

NowonSA posted:

I'm in the "Kuvira had bandits steal the food" camp, but I actually think it'd be more interesting if she hadn't.

I agree. I doubt a bunch of bandits have access to an airplane, or would even know that two airbenders would try to bring food into the town. In fact, it would be in the interest of the bandits to actually let them bring the food. It's not like they are laying siege to the town, they just rob them. They would have nothing to gain if the town starved to death.

And yeah, it would definitely be more interesting if she was actually earnest. It would be interesting for the show to at least entertain the question "Is it worth it to follow a tyrant just to keep you safe?". But right now she is basically Ozai on a smaller scale.

Speculative crap aside though, I really liked this episode.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DutchDupe posted:

It seems odd Bolin is working for Kuvira if she did something that really hurt Opal's family. I hope Suyin is alright. :smith:
We can unspoiler, episode has been out for hours.
Anyway, it's clear that Su Yin is okay, it just seems that she seemed to think the Earth Kingdom being divided into dozens of sovereign states was for the best, while her son disagreed and went with Kuvira.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

X_Toad posted:

I don't think Hiroshi would be interested in doing something like that. If he appears in the season, I think it will be because Republic City will get desperate for an engineering genius who can match Baatar and Varrick.

Hiroshi has already been confirmed for this season, though I too doubt he's behind this.

PupsOfWar posted:

He was featured in the trailer (I want to say repeatedly?) which makes me think he'll appear again.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If the series doesn't conclude with Korra forming her own island nation while causing Kuvira to fall to her death in the process I'll be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Sato posted:

He was featured in the trailer (I want to say repeatedly?) which makes me think he'll appear again.
No, he appeared only once in the trailer, and we've seen that scene already.

• Locked thread