Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What apps notably use the 1password extension? Still boned when it comes to entering it in the App Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Isn't lastpass a

Ninja Rope posted:

Is there a good free password utility similar to 1Password? I have a distrust of online services and I'm sure friends and family won't be willing to pay for 1Password.

Edit: The fact that KeePass is a port done by Some Guy seems off-putting too.

To everyone reccomending lastpass, isn't it a 'web service'?

I've used it and 1pass, both are great. 1pass can work completely offline, whereas I don't think lastpass can...?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

frogbs posted:

Isn't lastpass a

To everyone reccomending lastpass, isn't it a 'web service'?

I've used it and 1pass, both are great. 1pass can work completely offline, whereas I don't think lastpass can...?

it downloads a copy of your vault to whatever device you use. the mobile app doesn't work unless you have lastpass premium ($12/yr).

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

wolffenstein posted:

it downloads a copy of your vault to whatever device you use. the mobile app doesn't work unless you have lastpass premium ($12/yr).

Oh, bummer. I wanted something offline only.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but is OS X compatible with Windows Home Server for things like shared drives and media streaming?

I'd like to build a Windows server box for backup from and streaming to several windows machines in the house, and I'm wondering if the two macs here will be able to participate as well.

edit: Also, is there a way to make Mission Control default to always show the "X" on the top left of each desktop and the "+" for "add new desktop" like it does when you hold down the option key?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 4, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Anyone have issues with Viscosity (or Tunnelblick for that matter) where after a non-user initiated disconnect, it can't reconnect because it complains the host is not reachable until I restart my MBA. The server I'm connecting to is always up during these weird instances.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's a good method to back up and restore Windows partitions that doesn't involve pay software? Not really interested in paying for something I will only use once every few years if that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fleshweasel posted:

What's a good method to back up and restore Windows partitions that doesn't involve pay software? Not really interested in paying for something I will only use once every few years if that.

If your just looking for a barebones disk/partition imager, Clonezilla works.

Marcium appears to be pretty popular as well. Never used it so I can't say.

None of these will do incrementals or diffs though.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my game rig. It's fairly full featured, but it does cost $40. However, it's pretty painless to set up to backup to a NAS RAID. And it restores in a snap as well. I think you can even make a bootable backup similar to how you can for the Mac using SuperDuper.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flosofl posted:

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my game rig. It's fairly full featured, but it does cost $40. However, it's pretty painless to set up to backup to a NAS RAID. And it restores in a snap as well. I think you can even make a bootable backup similar to how you can for the Mac using SuperDuper.
Speaking of which, CCC just got a paid/major update, still $40 or $20 upgrade, or free if you bought after June 2nd.
http://bombich.com/blog/2014/10/01/announcing-carbon-copy-cloner-4

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used my Apple ID password to download Mavericks in Internet Recovery to clean install my old Macbook for sale. The install completed and when you boot it asks for a language and to proceed in general...is there any chance that my Apple ID will be available to whoever receives this laptop? It doesn't log you in automatically, right?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
There's no connection to that Apple ID anywhere after the install, you're fine.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Tippis posted:

He expressed surprise that anyone would surf without ad blockers, which is an entirely reasonable reaction.
... for a totally shut-in nerd, yes.

This is the latest I could find quickly, and at the growth rate they predict, I'd guess maybe 30% of people use ad blockers: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/08/21/use-of-ad-blocking-is-on-the-rise/

And like I said, the ad blocker was turned off automatically by the upgrade, not by me.

Tippis posted:

And as always, it's very good practice to separate your every-day use and production machine from your experimental and development environment.

Ah. I never heard of that. That was totally my only machine, and 100% mission critical, you're very right to assume that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Choadmaster posted:

There's no connection to that Apple ID anywhere after the install, you're fine.

Plus I think Apple makes you sign in (with your password) any time you want to use your Apple ID, so even if it were linked (which it shouldn't be), they'd have to know your password to be able to do anything with it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PLUS, plus, turn on two factor authentication for your Apple ID and pretty much don't worry about it again :)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
wrong thread

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 5, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually have 2-factor on. I'm just paranoid.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Incorporate Touch ID into the POS systems and then gently caress everyone else.

I'm actually hoping we'll see TouchID integrated into MBPs and Apple keyboards soon.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I've been thinking about battery management lately, specifically for MacBooks. Now, conventional wisdom on maintaining a long life for a lithium-ion battery is that if you're going to store it and not use it for long periods of time, you should charge/drain the battery to about 50% before you store it in order to ensure the battery maintains as much capacity as it can over long periods of storage or non-use.

With MacBooks though, a lot of people tend to leave them in one spot, plugged into the wall or docking stations for extended periods of time, etc. However, leaving a MacBook plugged in like that also means the battery is kept charged to 100% all the time, which isn't very good for keeping it healthy over long stretches of being plugged in.

Is there any software out there that lets you switch between something like "portable" and "stationary" modes, where the portable mode would act as the default battery charging behavior, keeping the battery charged at 100% before switching to AC like happens now, but switching to the stationary mode would only charge the battery to about 50% before switching the MacBook over to all AC power, in order to keep the battery around an optimal storage level during the long periods where the Macbook is kept plugged in?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 5, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Martytoof posted:

I'm actually hoping we'll see TouchID integrated into MBPs and Apple keyboards soon.

It feels like it's bound to happen with their current move towards Pay and increased store and security integration. As long as it works better than those useless slit-scan print readers we've seen on laptops for the last decade (and Touch ID certainly has done that so far), it would make a ton of things easier on both desktops and laptops.

If nothing else, TouchID makes it worth-while to actually turn all the security features on, because it removes almost all the hassel of identifying yourself and get back into action if you've been contemplating for too long and now the screen saver kicked in…

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I rather computers and phones just scan your face and unlock that way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

With MacBooks though, a lot of people tend to leave them in one spot, plugged into the wall or docking stations for extended periods of time, etc. However, leaving a MacBook plugged in like that also means the battery is kept charged to 100% all the time, which isn't very good for keeping it healthy over long stretches of being plugged in.

Are Macbooks unique in not managing battery health by letting the battery discharge by small amounts when plugged in and charged to full? Pretty bad oversight IMO, even my cheapass Lenovo didn't do that!

(stop janitoring your batteries on modern devices)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tippis posted:

It feels like it's bound to happen with their current move towards Pay and increased store and security integration. As long as it works better than those useless slit-scan print readers we've seen on laptops for the last decade (and Touch ID certainly has done that so far), it would make a ton of things easier on both desktops and laptops.

If nothing else, TouchID makes it worth-while to actually turn all the security features on, because it removes almost all the hassel of identifying yourself and get back into action if you've been contemplating for too long and now the screen saver kicked in…

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I've got a mid 2009 MBP that's going to be replaced sooner rather than later. Part of me really wants to grab a new one sometime between "yesterday" and "realistically November," but I really think the thumbprint scanner is going to be an inevitable feature on any MBP refresh, and one I'd really want moving forward. I could probably drag this thing forward another year or so (especially if I dropped more RAM in it).

What I'm really, really hoping is that there will be some kind of obvious clue about that kind of future feature in Yosemite and/or that Apple will just straight up release a USB thumbprint scanner. If they did that it would go a long way toward assuring me I wouldn't be locked out of a whole feature set 2 or 3 years down the road on the next laptop if I buy now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I've got a mid 2009 MBP that's going to be replaced sooner rather than later. Part of me really wants to grab a new one sometime between "yesterday" and "realistically November," but I really think the thumbprint scanner is going to be an inevitable feature on any MBP refresh, and one I'd really want moving forward. I could probably drag this thing forward another year or so (especially if I dropped more RAM in it).

What I'm really, really hoping is that there will be some kind of obvious clue about that kind of future feature in Yosemite and/or that Apple will just straight up release a USB thumbprint scanner. If they did that it would go a long way toward assuring me I wouldn't be locked out of a whole feature set 2 or 3 years down the road on the next laptop if I buy now.

They're probably not wanting to go all in at the moment just on the off chance that Apple Pay fails. If it succeeds though (and I'm willing to bet it will) I'm guessing in a year or two they'll fit it in.

I doubt they'll do a USB key though because the whole concept of Apple Pay is that your credit card info is stuck on a little chip that can't be accessed or removed so at the very least there's a chance that you'll lose your USB key and people wouldn't like that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

With all this continuity stuff it will probably just use the TouchID sensor on your phone.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Are Macbooks unique in not managing battery health by letting the battery discharge by small amounts when plugged in and charged to full? Pretty bad oversight IMO, even my cheapass Lenovo didn't do that!

(stop janitoring your batteries on modern devices)

MacBooks do slightly discharge by small amounts when full and plugged in.

The batteries in modern MacBooks are calibrated before going into the machine and don't need to be recalibrated. They require very little legwork besides not charging 90-100,90-100 over and over every day (because it uses a full charge cycle).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kingnothing posted:

The batteries in modern MacBooks are calibrated before going into the machine and don't need to be recalibrated. They require very little legwork besides not charging 90-100,90-100 over and over every day (because it uses a full charge cycle).

That kind of usage is perfectly fine. I bet it is the most common usage pattern for laptop batteries.

There used to be a page on apple.com recommending that a laptop not be plugged in literally 100% of the time (you were supposed to go through one cumulative charge cycle per month, so averaging about 3% of drain and charge per day) but it is gone now so maybe they fixed that in software. The only thing they tell you to do is not bake it or freeze it.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 5, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Anyone know how to re-trigger the SMS relay confirmation code thing on the Yosemite GM Candidate? I had to reinstall iOS 8.1 on my phone which breaks the relay.

edit: I figured it out!

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 5, 2014

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

withak posted:

That kind of usage is perfectly fine. I bet it is the most common usage pattern for laptop batteries.

There used to be a page on apple.com recommending that a laptop not be plugged in literally 100% of the time (you were supposed to go through one cumulative charge cycle per month, so averaging about 3% of drain and charge per day) but it is gone now so maybe they fixed that in software. The only thing they tell you to do is not bake it or freeze it.

That usage doesn't damage the battery, but it does count towards your charge cycles. When apple decides if your battery is failing or consumed (IE if you pay or not), they go specifically by charge cycles.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Time Machine seems to be taking up a lot of space locally on my Mac. Is it going to automatically relinquish some space as needed?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yes.

e: Finder doesn't even include them in calculating disk use. Compare:

carry on then fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 5, 2014

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Yes. It keeps local backups on your notebook until you need the space, then clears out the oldest ones until it is below the space threshold. To my knowledge they aren't transferred to the time machine disk when it's reconnected.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible Mavericks indicates it differently? I see an 80gb chunk of hidden files in DaisyDisk, and I'm assuming it's Time Machine related.
Also, my Get Info view seems to have gotten the Used and Available parts backwards. I know I am not using that little space. My home folder alone is 70gb. Maybe I'll restart and see if it sorts itself out.

brap fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 5, 2014

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I backup to a time machine box, how come I don't have any of those backups on my mbp?

phosdex fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 5, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4878
Looks like it just prunes itself as needed and I shouldn't worry about it. Some people run a terminal command to prevent it from happening. I don't care as long as I know it will give me some space back if I need it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

MacBooks do slightly discharge by small amounts when full and plugged in.

Charding 90-100 doesn't use a full charge cycle. Charging from 90-100% uses about 10% of one cycle.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

If you're buying a computer that you never ever plan to unplug, why not just get a desktop machine (e.g. an iMac?) Or just stop caring so much about your battery that you'll never even need to use?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dik-dik posted:

If you're buying a computer that you never ever plan to unplug, why not just get a desktop machine (e.g. an iMac?) Or just stop caring so much about your battery that you'll never even need to use?

Macbook Pros are (for now) a higher resolution and has better (or at least similar) specs than an iMac.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Because the idea of a laptop plus docking station is really appealing. When you're working and being productive at your desk, you get a big monitor and a comfortable mouse and keyboard to use. Then, if you need to go anywhere, you can just pick up your computer from its spot and go wherever, with everything still right there at your fingertips.

And if you're going to use a setup like this, you might as well get the most out of it, which includes learning how not to kill your battery as early as possible and taking preventative measures if those measures are available.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Your laptop may live only 99.5% as long as the theoretical maximum, but you yourself will live longer if you don't expend so much effort agonizing :spergin: over how many charge cycles you have left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Then, if you need to go anywhere, you can just pick up your computer from its spot and go wherever, with everything still right there at your fingertips.

How does this count as never ever unplugging it?

If you're regularly getting up and moving away from your charger, that in itself will likely discharge your laptop enough that you don't need to worry about the battery. The point I was making is that, if you're ever actually using the battery in your laptop (i.e., if it's not plugged in 100% of the time) then your laptop battery is almost certainly getting enough use that you don't need to worry about it. If, by contrast, you never actually use the battery, who cares if it's at 95% vs 80% original spec? You're never going to need that extra 15% anyway.

edit: Anyway, in the interest of not being a terrible overbearing nerd and trying to actually help you do this thing you claim you need to do, the obvious, least terrible solution here is to plug your charger into a timer that turns it off for an hour or so every day during a time period when the laptop will most likely be in use to stimulate periodic discharging. Probably costs you about five bucks, and let's this terrible nerd argument end.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 6, 2014