Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

What are the odds that Kuvira is funding bandits because Bryke doesn't understand how to do subtlety and grey morality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Aces High posted:

I honestly thought that every piece of metal she threw would be a piece of her armour but no it didn't appear that way. I mean most of the time your armour won't be as useful in terms of defense if you're fighting other benders or people with shock gauntlets so you may as well use it as another weapon

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. For the first few seconds that seemed sensible, then she had tossed out a solid 10-20 metal pieces and her armor looked the same. I guess maaaaybe she had lots of loose pieces on her back?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

oh jay posted:

What are the odds that Kuvira is funding bandits because Bryke doesn't understand how to do subtlety and grey morality.

What are the odds that in the end it's a children's show so villains have to be unsubtle and villainous? This isn't loving Breaking Bad here. This is something my 8 year old cousin watches.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just as a head's-up, iTunes has all of the seasons back up, and 1-3 HD are the same price as the SD ($12.99).

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

oh jay posted:

I think she did hire the bandits who got the food from Opal and Kai, but I doubt she's responsible for the thousands of bandits roaming the Earth Kingdom.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Rosalind posted:

What are the odds that in the end it's a children's show so villains have to be unsubtle and villainous? This isn't loving Breaking Bad here. This is something my 8 year old cousin watches.

That's why I jokingly abhor this show's message. I had 11 year old cousins who saw the equalists and just labelled them all "jealous". 3 years later and they labelled the ferguson protestors as a mob of jealous people. Back when I was a kid my superhero cartoons taught me to mistrust the powers that be.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

oh jay posted:

she's absolutely behind the ones who stole the supplies. she can't not be

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

Sithsaber posted:

That's why I jokingly abhor this show's message. I had 11 year old cousins who saw the equalists and just labelled them all "jealous". 3 years later and they labelled the ferguson protestors as a mob of jealous people.

ouch

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rosalind posted:

Yeah, I'm confident the reason for the "Villain appears ambiguous, then turns out not to be" pattern is not because the writers literally don't understand how to do ambiguous villains or antivillains, but because it is a kids' show and they don't want to show the heroes beating up good/not-so-bad people.

I suspect some people were spoiled by Zuko's redemptive arc, which is the kind of thing this show just doesn't have time to do, formating-wise.

Now, the equalists were genuinely handled poorly, in that their rank-and-file had real grievances but there was never any attempt to give them a sympathetic voice, but I think the writing team has tightened up since then. We've already got multiple characters in Kuvira's camp who will most likely come out sympathetic.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 3, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sithsaber posted:

That's why I jokingly abhor this show's message. I had 11 year old cousins who saw the equalists and just labelled them all "jealous". 3 years later and they labelled the ferguson protestors as a mob of jealous people. Back when I was a kid my superhero cartoons taught me to mistrust the powers that be.
4/5ths of the government in Book 1 were portrayed as corrupt bigots ruled by fear and jingoistic rhetoric.
Seriously, watch "When Extremes Meet" again. A lot of what that episode does isn't followed up on, but you can't say it isn't there.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

4/5ths of the government in Book 1 were portrayed as corrupt bigots ruled by fear and jingoistic rhetoric.
Seriously, watch "When Extremes Meet" again. A lot of what that episode does isn't followed up on, but you can't say it isn't there.

That was a wasted opportunity. 70% of RC's problems were fixed by Raiko being elected and when it looked like the other 30% (along with duck off spirit vines) would do Raiko in it turned out that grumpy spirits just gave the political establishment millions of tourist bucks. (Along with looted treasuries the show will never talk about)

So did Toph throw away all her Bei Phong prestige or did her daughters just dump all of their influence into rehabilitating criminals in one country and arresting them in another?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sithsaber posted:

That was a wasted opportunity. 70% of RC's problems were fixed by Raiko being elected and when it looked like the other 30% (along with duck off spirit vines) would do Raiko in it turned out that grumpy spirits just gave the political establishment millions of tourist bucks. (Along with looted treasuries the show will never talk about)

So did Toph throw away all her Bei Phong prestige or did her daughters just dump all of their influence into rehabilitating criminals in one country and arresting them in another?
The show's making it clear that Raiko's apparent approval of Prince Wu is him playing politics, and that it's lovely of him to do so.
One of the worst things about the ending of Book 1 was that it seemed like the three non-Tarrlok assholes on the Councils were all gonna stay in power and poo poo would still suck. I'm sure Mike and Bryan have learned their lesson and we're not going to end the series with Prince Wu on the throne.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Raiko doesn't seem to have fixed jack poo poo about RC's problems to me. Has he actually done anything other than be a douche, refuse to go to war and play politics?

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013
Korra better be in the entire drat episode next week :colbert:

Also I like how we aren't even trying to hide that Kuriva is a warmongering enemy. That map of the states reminded me of the maps of Europe you always see in the Nazi HQ in WWII movies.

I also enjoy how Bopal had more depth in this one episode than it did for all of Book 3, I might actually care about her now.

Fake E: Are they trying to get me to root for her taking over though? That prince is as unlikable as his aunt.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nephthys posted:

Raiko doesn't seem to have fixed jack poo poo about RC's problems to me. Has he actually done anything other than be a douche, refuse to go to war and play politics?
Book 2 had enough pacing problems without showing Raiko's struggle to pass universal healthcare.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The show's making it clear that Raiko's apparent approval of Prince Wu is him playing politics, and that it's lovely of him to do so.
One of the worst things about the ending of Book 1 was that it seemed like the three non-Tarrlok assholes on the Councils were all gonna stay in power and poo poo would still suck. I'm sure Mike and Bryan have learned their lesson and we're not going to end the series with Prince Wu on the throne.

They seemed less like assholes and more like fearful little bitches. Kids might have identified with their wide eyed acquiescence though.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

X_Toad posted:

No, he appeared only once in the trailer, and we've seen that scene already.

Thanks, I wasn't sure how many times. I still think he could come back (after all, the Fire Lord and Zuko were only featured once and I bet they'll play a decently sizable role) even if the scene from the trailer is one we've already seen. If he is affiliated with someone we should know I wouldn't be surprised if he's the one who gives the exposition. If he doesn't appear again I won't be crying or anything though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sithsaber posted:

They seemed less like assholes and more like fearful little bitches. Kids might have identified with their wide eyed acquiescence though.
"Even so-called representative governments can do terrible things out of fear" is a pretty sophisticated message for a show that aired at 11 am on Saturday mornings.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Maybe he was just there to visibly nerf the airbender's supposed advantage in combat and logistical situations. That would suck though. It would also suck if the old cast continues to act as cockteases who sit around making plans that immediately fall apart.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
^^^^^^^^

I could see that.

And man, I just really want to see Katara do something that isn't healing or sitting on the sidelines. Zuko and (presumably, given the trailer) Toph get to be badasses and fight evil while the greatest waterbender in the world sits at home? Pfffft, younger Katara would have been pissed.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rosalind posted:

You know I have seen a few criticisms of this show being that it tries pandering to an older audience and trying to be all mature & serious when it should be a kids show which I kind of think is insulting the intelligence of kids. I mean Batman TAS had some heavy subjects in it that I was able to process.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Harold Cooplowski posted:

Korra better be in the entire drat episode next week :colbert:

I think the next episode is showing what happened to her between end of season 3 and now.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
E: Nevermind.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Sato posted:

^^^^^^^^

I could see that.

And man, I just really want to see Katara do something that isn't healing or sitting on the sidelines. Zuko and (presumably, given the trailer) Toph get to be badasses and fight evil while the greatest waterbender in the world sits at home? Pfffft, younger Katara would have been pissed.

Zuko went to the worst place he couldfight and jobbed pretty hard. At least the fight scene looked cool.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Sithsaber posted:

I mean it's not inaccurate. Being white is kinda like having law bending powers :v:

Rosalind posted:

If people are wondering what Kuvira and her campaign are based on, I'm guessing it's pretty much supposed to be this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Expedition

As I have said before, we need to compare Kuvira to Asian fascists/nationalists, not western ones, to have a better picture of who she is and her goals.

This so obvious I nearly shouted "ooooh" when I read it. It fits really well with the Earth Kingdom being alternate-China, and is a rarely acknowledged period of Chinese history (in America).

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

TheModernAmerican posted:

I mean it's not inaccurate. Being white is kinda like having law bending powers :v:

This so obvious I nearly shouted "ooooh" when I read it. It fits really well with the Earth Kingdom being alternate-China, and is a rarely acknowledged period of Chinese history (in America).

The worst part about this is that they only have money bending powers. I wasn't able to make them understand that the equalists were only a threat because of money bending.

Ps. I hope cabbage corp becomes a fifth column for Kuvira. There needs to be one last cosmic joke that crushes the cabbages.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Well, a solution for the Spirit Wilds problem has been found, Republic City is participating in massive infrastructure upgrades all over the Earth Kingdom, the rightful heir to the Earth Kingdom is sheltered in his city (and I doubt that Raiko is the only one wanting to use Wu as a possible authority figure to counter Kuvira), etc. He's got to have done something right in the last three years.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

pentyne posted:

Great, another suspiciously benevolent leader/figure leading a movement who will almost certainly turn out to be evil and fight Korra.

You can't seriosuly be that dumb.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

X_Toad posted:

Well, a solution for the Spirit Wilds problem has been found, Republic City is participating in massive infrastructure upgrades all over the Earth Kingdom, the rightful heir to the Earth Kingdom is sheltered in his city (and I doubt that Raiko is the only one wanting to use Wu as a possible authority figure to counter Kuvira), etc. He's got to have done something right in the last three years.

1. The solution to the spirit problem was pulled out of the writing team's rear end and is utter bullshit.

2. I would have preferred the industrialists abandoning RC and leaving it to the spirits and the mob.

3. Supporting the house of Orleans is not that great of a plan even if it does sap away the advances made in the warlord interregnum.

Raiko had so much problems he ordered the avatar to leave after she turned into a mecha spirit. Turning that poo poo because "leave it alone" is the show's chosen solution is dumb.

Ps. I just remembered missed opportunity #96.

#96: doing nothing with possession/ spirit leprosy

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 3, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

RottenK posted:

You can't seriosuly be that dumb.

The show is dumb. A plot point of season 2 was that Unaloq was unhinged and literally didn't know what he was doing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

You know I have seen a few criticisms of this show being that it tries pandering to an older audience and trying to be all mature & serious when it should be a kids show which I kind of think is insulting the intelligence of kids. I mean Batman TAS had some heavy subjects in it that I was able to process.

Batman TAS was not really a kids show, and also in my opinion does lay on the grimdark pretty thick, much like a lot of DC stuff and comic stuff from that era

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sithsaber posted:

The worst part about this is that they only have money bending powers. I wasn't able to make them understand that the equalists were only a threat because of money bending.

Ps. I hope cabbage corp becomes a fifth column for Kuvira. There needs to be one last cosmic joke that crushes the cabbages.
"Lau Gan Lan II give me back my Cabbages!!!!!" :argh:

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

icantfindaname posted:

Batman TAS was not really a kids show, and also in my opinion does lay on the grimdark pretty thick, much like a lot of DC stuff and comic stuff from that era

Batman isn't grimdark outside of the movies. (Unless you think a child watching his parents die is unnecessarily grimdark) The one fault with batman is that in hindsight it looked like it wrapped up a few story arcs that restarted when the show got its redesign. This was for the best; you can never have enough Harley Quinn.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Sithsaber posted:

Zuko went to the worst place he couldfight and jobbed pretty hard. At least the fight scene looked cool.

Sure, but he is also a world-respected ambassador for peace, former Fire Lord, and rides a loving dragon everywhere. Toph was Chief of Police and is currently traveling the world in search of enlightenment. Katara, um, made sure bloodbending was banned? I think I wouldn't be so annoyed about the lack of Katara awesomeness if it wasn't contrasted with Zuko and Toph's awesomeness. I mean, she didn't even go to her granddaughter's induction ceremony at the end of Book 3. Even Zuko was there!

And thanks to whoever posted the Northern Expedition Wiki page. I very dimly remember it from a college history course but it was basically a sentence in passing so it's great to be able to make the connection!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Rosalind posted:

If people are wondering what Kuvira and her campaign are based on, I'm guessing it's pretty much supposed to be this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Expedition

Thanks for the link! I'm fairly ignorant to Chinese History so I love the fantastic history posts that come out of this thread.

The episode was good even if it was mostly just setup for the rest of the season. The underground fighting ring was great though. I cannot wait for the next episode to see where Korra is at, both mentally and physically. For such a short scene, it hinted at lot of what Korra is going though.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Looks like sword-bandit dude was hired:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't understand. That man in the second picture clearly does not have a goatee.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Sithsaber posted:

The show is dumb. A plot point of season 2 was that Unaloq was unhinged and literally didn't know what he was doing.

Kuvira is very clearly shown to be the antagonist of this season, going "oh boy another benevolent leader who's gonna turn bad what a surprise :smug:" is dumb and obnoxious. The show's not trying to set her up for a surprise villain reveal.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope Korra finds Toph and is all "OMG Toph! You were on Team Avatar, I've lost my way, what should I do with my life?" and Toph is all "Do what I did: join Earth Rumble"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I hope Korra finds Toph and is all "OMG Toph! You were on Team Avatar, I've lost my way, what should I do with my life?" and Toph is all "Do what I did: join Earth Rumble"

Joining the underground version doesn't appear to have worked out well though :(

• Locked thread