Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
It took me 8+ hours to get my final atma. Sometimes you just have to sit down and just grind it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

dangersandwich posted:

The average to get 12 Atma shards is 400 FATEs ±100 depending on how much RNG fuckery you experience. Most of us have better things to do than to spend hours doing hundreds of FATEs that give nothing with no progress bar.

"like a day and a half" is bullshit unless you're a) extremely lucky, or b) some kind of atma wizard with RNG reduction spells.

you're missing the third possibility: people who spend 20 hours a day playing an mmo and think that's normal

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

bonewitch posted:

It took me 8+ hours to get my final atma. Sometimes you just have to sit down and just grind it out.

How anyone can say this "isn't that bad" blows my mind.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Velthice posted:

I will never stop being surprised at the excuses people will come up with to justify their hatred of what is unequivocally one of the easiest parts of the relic chain.

It doesn't matter that it's easy. It's boring.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Belzac posted:

Hiroshi NQ got 12 atma in 14 hours live on stream.
Didn't somebody else during the stream get a grand total of one atma?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Verranicus posted:

How anyone can say this "isn't that bad" blows my mind.

Oh it's terrible, I hated the atma grind more than any other part of the relic grind (and I got my nexus a week after 2.38). :suicide:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zereth posted:

Didn't somebody else during the stream get a grand total of one atma?

Correct.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Bards should probably upgrade their armor over their weapon anyway. It's more of a stat increase. Also if you're doing atma as a warrior, you can stop because paladins are better and more fun to play. I use fracture on my monk.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Belzac posted:

Hiroshi NQ got 12 atma in 14 hours live on stream. Garin got 12 atma in a day and a half just a few months ago. The problem people have with atma is subtly hinted at in this thread by the complainers. You aren't grinding hard enough. "I did fates for 100 hours" really means "I did 2 fates and then quit". Just sit down, and bang it out, and it's over.

I'm not refuting that you can just grind it out, but there is mathematically no escaping the fact that you have to do this boring thing (FATE grind) for a minimum of 8+ hours.

There are those of us that only have a few hours a night to play and guess what? we're not inclined to spend an entire week of evenings doing a boring thing which leads to another boring thing (which still yet leads to another boring thing) for a weapon that you have to spend a few million gil (or several weeks of spiritbonding) to optimize.

by the way, 8 hours is the realistic minimum. RNG will make exactly half of all players that decide to go through Atma spend 16-18 hours. :psypop:

dangersandwich fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 3, 2014

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I honestly wouldn't mind doing 500+ FATEs if there was a little tracker keeping score and I was guaranteed my Atma at the end. Some sort of visible end goal.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I got my BLM atma within 350 fates (including those I did while levelling). I got 7 atma on WHM, hit 1000 fates completed and decided it wasn't worth it. That's RNG for you!

Velthice posted:

I use fracture on my monk.

Please don't trigger me.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

dangersandwich posted:

I'm not refuting that you can just grind it out, but there is mathematically no escaping the fact that you have to do this boring thing (FATE grind) for a minimum of 8+ hours.

There are those of us that only have a few hours a night to play and guess what? we're not inclined to spend an entire week of evenings doing a boring thing which leads to another boring thing (which still yet leads to another boring thing) for a weapon that you have to spend a few million gil (or a several weeks of spiritbonding) to optimize.

by the way, 8 hours is the realistic minimum. RNG will make exactly half of all players that decide to go through Atma spend 16-18 hours.

Then don't do it. If you're a casual be content with your casual weapons. The bigger the glow, the more work it will take.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Verranicus posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind doing 500+ FATEs if there was a little tracker keeping score and I was guaranteed my Atma at the end. Some sort of visible end goal.

Literally this. This would solve every complaint I have about the system.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Xenoveritas posted:

Sadly our forums do not allow me to duplicate the colors used in that post.

This post is actually from a year ago - but it only just received an official response of "maybe someday."

"These races should get body hair options...

...ok maybe Lalas and Catboys too even though they're basically toddlers and young teenagers."

Sacro posted:

you're missing the third possibility: people who spend 20 hours a day playing an mmo and think that's normal

See: Belzac's posts.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
You just mad that I'm living the final fantasy dream.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Belzac posted:

Then don't do it. If you're a casual be content with your casual weapons. The bigger the glow, the more work it will take.

Put another way: When faced with an MMO's Really Grindy Bits, ask yourself how far you're willing to go with them. There's nothing wrong with saying gently caress that poo poo. All games, heck all entertainment media, are ultimately competing with each other for your time and it's up to you to choose how you spend it. If you feel like something is trying to waste your time there's no reason to comply.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Belzac posted:

Hiroshi NQ got 12 atma in 14 hours live on stream. Garin got 12 atma in a day and a half just a few months ago. The problem people have with atma is subtly hinted at in this thread by the complainers. You aren't grinding hard enough. "I did fates for 100 hours" really means "I did 2 fates and then quit". Just sit down, and bang it out, and it's over.
I spent 30 hrs on 12 atma, on the other hand I've done premade garuda farm almost exclusively for nexus. At the rate I'm going nexus is going to take slightly less time.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Every time the atma discussion comes up I see four groups of people.

1. Atma is like getting peed on
2. You think being peed on is bad? Try getting pooped on
3. I enjoy getting peed on, gently caress getting pooped on
4. Getting pooped on is awesome guys, it's those piss lovers that are weird.

I guess what I'm saying is maybe you guys should shower more.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Xenoveritas posted:

So... "maybe someday."

Time to save up a few fishies then :3:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Leal posted:

Please look forward to it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Leal posted:

For the low low price of 30 million gil for a small tank, 75 million for a large!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Does DGKK have a static progression group? I know it's typically for people who are leveling and stuff but I've been here for so long that swapping to PBC instead of hanging with you nerds would be weird. :(

On an unrelated note, I feel like making a healer. Tempted to go WHM but the fact that SCH could also DPS is a good thing too. Hm...any thoughts on the differences between the two? I might shake things up and play with a controller for a while, so who's got an easier time with that?

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
sometimes if you don't like doing a thing in a video game, you don't have to do that thing in the videogame

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Does DGKK have a static progression group? I know it's typically for people who are leveling and stuff but I've been here for so long that swapping to PBC instead of hanging with you nerds would be weird. :(

On an unrelated note, I feel like making a healer. Tempted to go WHM but the fact that SCH could also DPS is a good thing too. Hm...any thoughts on the differences between the two? I might shake things up and play with a controller for a while, so who's got an easier time with that?

It's not quite as viable as the SCH/SMN divide, but WHM can actually do somewhat decent damage just by weaving in and out of cleric stance. The big trick is not running your mana dry in the process, but that might become less of an issue at level 50 in better gear. :v: I just know that even in the 40s after getting WHM's mana regeneration and threat dump skill I've had to slow down and drop back to just healing to not run dry in a few fights.

You'll never be able to queue as DPS as WHM though, so in that sense SCH/SMN is better by miles obviously.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Thumbtacks posted:

I don't have a static yet, if that helps.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thumbtacks posted:

There's an entire subforum on ffgoons dedicated to static groups.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Belzac posted:

If you're a casual be content with your casual weapons.

:laffo:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's an entire subforum on ffgoons dedicated to static groups.

I know, I looked. Every group is full of people in PBC.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Thumbtacks posted:

I know, I looked. Every group is full of people in PBC.

Even if this were true, every static has a separate linkshell for coordination, whether you're PBC or DGKK doesn't matter in the slightest.

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

it's Gaelic for "thy turkey is done"
I'm looking to resub. But I'd have to pay to move my character over to the server.. Is it worth it or should I just start a new one?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Boss Man Bing posted:

I'm looking to resub. But I'd have to pay to move my character over to the server.. Is it worth it or should I just start a new one?

What level is your character? Progression in this game is pretty fast, you'd probably have to have multiple jobs to 50 to justify the price of a server transfer.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Coughing Hobo posted:

Even if this were true, every static has a separate linkshell for coordination, whether you're PBC or DGKK doesn't matter in the slightest.

...oh. poo poo, really? I keep forgetting linkshells are things that I can use. Goddammit.

Well I'll look into that and I think I'll level SCH on the side.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 4, 2014

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

it's Gaelic for "thy turkey is done"

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What level is your character? Progression in this game is pretty fast, you'd probably have to have multiple jobs to 50 to justify the price of a server transfer.

This is true. I'd rather just play. I know I have a low level on the server, just not one that's got any 50's. My character I was actually playing only had 2.

So in this case yes I will just start a new character. Yay! I'm excited. I haven't played FF in a long time. I haven't played an MMO in a long time, actually.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Grem posted:

I guess what I'm saying is maybe you guys should shower more.

The MMO HMO - I guess what I'm saying is maybe you guys should shower more.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Boss Man Bing posted:

This is true. I'd rather just play. I know I have a low level on the server, just not one that's got any 50's. My character I was actually playing only had 2.

So in this case yes I will just start a new character. Yay! I'm excited. I haven't played FF in a long time. I haven't played an MMO in a long time, actually.

You're about to enjoy one of the best ones on the market, and my favorite. Have fun. :)

EDIT:
The MMO HMO - I guess what I'm saying is maybe you guys should shower more.
Games -, I think would work just as well.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Glowing Red Sign posted:

Is there even a purported reason, or is this just sheer spite?

A bit late on this conversation, but I've never had this happen to me when I was making my Animus, is it a newer thing or something?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Belzac posted:

Source your quotes.

Nevermind just noticed the username.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Velthice posted:

Bards should probably upgrade their armor over their weapon anyway. It's more of a stat increase. Also if you're doing atma as a warrior, you can stop because paladins are better and more fun to play. I use fracture on my monk.

Getting a better weapon is by far the biggest upgrade you can get on a DPS class because stats in this game are sorta generic

If you don't want to invest in the atma/animus/novus grind just get a 110 weapon from CT2, it's only very slightly weaker than HA or Nexus for a lot of classes and will in no way hold you back

e: i hella quoted the wrong post there

Metallia fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 4, 2014

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

mulodyne posted:

Getting a better weapon is by far the biggest upgrade you can get on a DPS class because stats in this game are sorta generic

If you don't want to invest in the atma/animus/novus grind just get a 110 weapon from CT2, it's only very slightly weaker than HA or Nexus for a lot of classes and will in no way hold you back

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Oh my god nobody cares about your thrilling atma opinions, do it if you like it, don't if you don't, nobody is going to read your impassioned defense of getting/not bothering with atma and be like "wow, that person is so right, my opinion was fundamentally wrong and I will stop farming atma/farm up a set right now"

Nexus weapons are i115, HA weapons are i115. There's multiple content paths and shouting the same two arguments ("it's random!" "it's easy!" "it's random!" "it's easy!") at each other for the past 6 months is just making me pull out my hair at this point

• Locked thread