Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Goddamn it game, start dropping weapons with powers higher than 88 for character other than Link! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Most character's 2nd and 3rd tier weapons, you have to unlock in adventure mode. Some of them get their level 2s naturally, but not all.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Endorph posted:

what makes more sense

'oh, that must be some weird notation for her 6th charge'

or

'durrrrr, dodge rolling???'

Well, some characters seem to have different ways of doing things, like how Sheik's single charge attack does something completely different based on the last combo you did, which I didn't know until someone posted it on the last page.

Like I said, how was I supposed to know? It could have been a special move for that character, for all I know.

Edit: Also, I wasn't trying to act stupid. I was legitimately curious.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 4, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Regy Rusty posted:

"All Attacks are Devastating" levels are just the best. Absolutely effortless to A-rank with any character, and incredibly quick if you need to get an item. If you need a basic item like a candle just find one of those maps because it's way less tedious than having to replay something longer just so you can access stuff on another square.

Yeah those levels are fun, even through for some reason I was having some issues with one where you used Midna and had to fight a bunch of soldiers. But yeah the "kill X enemies" ones are generally annoying if the miniboss the level spawns is Gohma. The others are pretty slow, but Gohma is always right on your rear end.

Junubee
Feb 24, 2004

Cut it out, the players don't want to hear my problems.

PureRok posted:

Well, some characters seem to have different ways of doing things, like how Sheik's single charge attack does something completely different based on the last combo you did, which I didn't know until someone posted it on the last page.

Like I said, how was I supposed to know? It could have been a special move for that character, for all I know.

Edit: Also, I wasn't trying to act stupid. I was legitimately curious.

Honestly, why aren't people using the C terminology? C3 implies 2 lights then strong (Charge, from DW).

night slime
May 14, 2014
I beat the Golden Cucco the first time I fought it, and with a character I'd never used before. I spammed Darunia's strong attack roll the entire time and only got hit twice I think. I'm guessing this is just luck or has something to do with Darunia being level 16 and the Cuccos possibly matching that level.

Also, the OP mentions a dash button. What is it? I don't recall seeing it on the control settings when I looked for it. I usually just run around in a circle like Sonic

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Junubee posted:

Honestly, why aren't people using the C terminology? C3 implies 2 lights then strong (Charge, from DW).

Probably because a lot of us haven't played a Musou game much less discussed them on the internet and weren't aware of it. :shobon:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Goddamn it game, start dropping weapons with powers higher than 88 for character other than Link! :argh:
If youre mainly playing link, the game drops are biased to whomever you used for that mission more then anyone else, and use any equipment with "stars+" if you have it for a better chance at stronger stuff.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

night slime posted:

Also, the OP mentions a dash button. What is it? I don't recall seeing it on the control settings when I looked for it. I usually just run around in a circle like Sonic

Press and hold dodge. It'll make you start sprinting immediately after dodging.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PureRok posted:

You'd probably figure it out soon enough, but once you start running you can let go of the button, as well.

night slime
May 14, 2014

PureRok posted:

It's true! Thanks.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Jsor posted:

Probably because a lot of us haven't played a Musou game much less discussed them on the internet and weren't aware of it. :shobon:

It's going to be interesting to see if the Wii U gets an actual Musou game, either a port of DW8 XL, or DW 9 itself when that arrives, and you know it will.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

It's going to be interesting to see if the Wii U gets an actual Musou game, either a port of DW8 XL, or DW 9 itself when that arrives, and you know it will.

Orochi Warriors 3 Hyper.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

PureRok posted:

:psyboom:

Well, I wish I'd known this one entire Adventure Map ago.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Bruceski posted:

You'd probably figure it out soon enough, but once you start running you can let go of the button, as well.

I'm going to blame Shadow Of Mordor for not realising this but gently caress me. Stupid other games where you have to hold sprint the entire time you want to sprint confusing me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just unlocked Zant, and god drat he's such a fun character. Only Girahim, summoning gate, and great fairy left. I am continually impressed by how distinct they managed to make almost of the characters feel while still keeping the majority of them fun to play. The only characters/weapons that haven't really landed for me are Ruto, wind waker Zelda, and Agitha (I want to like her, but I just don't get her). I'm even starting to warm up to the spear, which at least has two solid attacks.

And I can't say enough how perfectly they nailed Ganondorf. Hopeful addition of Wrestledorf aside, there is not a single thing I would change about him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, Agatha feels like I win battles in spite of using her rather than because of it.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
With Agatha you can just YX over and over again against enemy generals if you want an extremely easy if slightly inefficient kill

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, it's not like jobber characters are new to musou games. Agitha isn't great, but at least she isn't Xu Zhu.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
First Death Mountain thing is a chaotic loving mess. How the hell are you supposed to keep track of A) fighting Darunia, B) keeping both Boulder gates under control, C) keeping your home base under control, D) keeping Bombchus out, E) finding unmarked Bombchu Controllers from... I don't loving know, sending more out at random?

Presumably if you take out Darunia fast enough the whole thing's over, but how the hell can you when you can lose at a moment's notice? I was up fighting him and never saw the first Bombchu message, so I was at the very top of the map when they hit the allied base. Absolutely nothing I could do. This is why you need voice acting in these games, because having to glance down and read a bunch of paragraphs on everything you should be doing while you're already spread thin sucks.

I don't have any loving clue how to complete this mission. I have to stay at the home base to keep the Gorons from overrunning it but there's also a Bombchu on the way and both boulder gates are in enemy hands. What do I loving do to survive this mission? This one of those things where I'm gonna have to go level grind elsewhere to breeze through it or something? Recall having to do that a few times in Pirate Warriors 2.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For that one I captured both keeps and then bum-rushed Darunia, I beat him once and he retreated back to his room, Sheik did her plan to smash where his food was, then I went after him again, by the time I killed him the bomchu event was just starting.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, Agatha feels like I win battles in spite of using her rather than because of it.

Don't diss Swagitha. :colbert: (notice the zero damage)

Seriously, her X makes her completely invincible. Tornados and divebombs all day.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

ChibiSoma posted:

First Death Mountain thing is a chaotic loving mess. How the hell are you supposed to keep track of A) fighting Darunia, B) keeping both Boulder gates under control, C) keeping your home base under control, D) keeping Bombchus out, E) finding unmarked Bombchu Controllers from... I don't loving know, sending more out at random?

Presumably if you take out Darunia fast enough the whole thing's over, but how the hell can you when you can lose at a moment's notice? I was up fighting him and never saw the first Bombchu message, so I was at the very top of the map when they hit the allied base. Absolutely nothing I could do. This is why you need voice acting in these games, because having to glance down and read a bunch of paragraphs on everything you should be doing while you're already spread thin sucks.

I don't have any loving clue how to complete this mission. I have to stay at the home base to keep the Gorons from overrunning it but there's also a Bombchu on the way and both boulder gates are in enemy hands. What do I loving do to survive this mission? This one of those things where I'm gonna have to go level grind elsewhere to breeze through it or something? Recall having to do that a few times in Pirate Warriors 2.

I've found the trick that works the best with that mission is to focus on keeping control of the boulder keeps. If you can do that then the rest of the mission falls into place. When the bombchus show up they'll move with a unit of gorons to capture the keeps before going after your main base. You'll probably be closest to the west boulder one, so if you recapture that, then the east boulder keep you should be in a pretty secure position. Don't worry about Darunina when the bombchus are out, when they're destroyed he retreats automatically, and at that point the rest of the map is clean up.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Killing a bombchu controller turns the associated bombchu to your side, so it turns around and begins advancing towards an enemy keep. Ignore the bombchus and go for the controllers. They're not hard to find, just run past the bombchu and look for a goron behind it with "bombchu controller" over their head.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The trick with the Imprisoned if you have bad ranged game like Fi is to bait the lightning attack by staying far away, then run under him and use YYYYYX. The lightning can never hit you if you're right under him. ou never get stomped because you're too far and you never get lightning'd because you're under him when it goes off. Only things that can hurt you are him falling over and him belly sliding.

I don't really play like that, it's too hard for me to plan combos in that sort of way. I did do the level, just not with an A. And realistically for most levels if you haven't done it with an A you might as well not have done it at all.

When I do use them I find that I'm getting hit during them too. Like I mentioned before it's especially bad with Ganon, all of his combos are crazily slow and you're ALWAYS getting hit by it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Augh, that Challenge stage where you have to kill Wizzro (with Volga beating on you) and Cia (with Lana beating on you) and not take more than 4k damage for an A. AUGH.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'll say it again - when things get hectic like in that Goron level use the pause button. It'll give you a breather and then you can use Battlefield info to see where all the bombchus and operators are. You can spend as long as you want plotting a route to deal with all of them.

It's really important to remember that the game does not intend you to strategize on the fly with the limited information of your minimap. If you don't use all the tools at your disposal you only make the game harder for yourself.

It is also possible to ignore the bombchus and kill Darunia really fast, but if it's your first time through the level that might be difficult.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Augh, that Challenge stage where you have to kill Wizzro (with Volga beating on you) and Cia (with Lana beating on you) and not take more than 4k damage for an A. AUGH.

For those stages you really need to learn which attacks you can block and which you have to dodge. Play defensively and wait for an opening. Also, when you see the other character launch into a combo finisher that will keep them locked in an animation for a while, use that opportunity to pull your target away from them and get in some hits in relative safety. Specials can help you hit weak points if you can't safely get close enough for melee, so keep an eye out for the bright yellow pots and take the time to cut grass on the way between fights for the chance of special bar refills.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Regy Rusty posted:

I'll say it again - when things get hectic like in that Goron level use the pause button. It'll give you a breather and then you can use Battlefield info to see where all the bombchus and operators are. You can spend as long as you want plotting a route to deal with all of them.

It's really important to remember that the game does not intend you to strategize on the fly with the limited information of your minimap. If you don't use all the tools at your disposal you only make the game harder for yourself.

It is also possible to ignore the bombchus and kill Darunia really fast, but if it's your first time through the level that might be difficult.

TO add to this, use mid battle saves to save time. If you keep getting blasted during a mission, next time do everything you know you can ace, then save and continue on, so if you do lose, you don't have to retry the entire map.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The GIG posted:

TO add to this, use mid battle saves to save time. If you keep getting blasted during a mission, next time do everything you know you can ace, then save and continue on, so if you do lose, you don't have to retry the entire map.

There's mid battle saves!? :psyboom:

E:

Regy Rusty posted:

If you don't use all the tools at your disposal you only make the game harder for yourself.

:suicide:

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Taear posted:

I don't really play like that, it's too hard for me to plan combos in that sort of way. I did do the level, just not with an A. And realistically for most levels if you haven't done it with an A you might as well not have done it at all.

When I do use them I find that I'm getting hit during them too. Like I mentioned before it's especially bad with Ganon, all of his combos are crazily slow and you're ALWAYS getting hit by it.

If it looks like you're going to get hit during any given combo, especially before you've used your heavy attack, dodge cancel out and away. Most attack strings can be canceled and allow you to safely start again. If you're locked on to a dangerous enemy but need to smack some mooks or whatever for meter, just use Y combos and dodge instead of finishing them. Or get right up next to the Imprisoned while he's walking, Y combo on his foot, then dodge away when he brings it down.

Just be careful if you're using a character whose combos take them into the air, have them jump, etc; you won't be able to dodge out of those until they touch the ground.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Regy Rusty posted:

There's mid battle saves!? :psyboom:

Right at the bottom of the pause screen :v: Really useful for hard mode Skulltulas.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The GIG posted:

Right at the bottom of the pause screen :v: Really useful for hard mode Skulltulas.

I've looked now and actually this is the perfect time for me to discover it. Legend mode is pretty easy the first time through, so it's only now that I'm doing the Hard skulltulas that it will be really useful.

So thank you so much for pointing this out at exactly the right time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

how do you continue from a mid-battle save? Because I made one but then when I went to reload the level it deleted it, so obviously that was not the correct path!!

MightyShadow
Oct 27, 2005
You have to fail the mission, then it will prompt you to load a save or restart from the last checkpoint.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Just like you can bug Zant if you enter a boss cutscene while spinning you can also do it while riding Argorok with Lana. The result is not nearly as interesting though and it doesn't really do anything.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Does anybody know what the level of the Adventure mode missions compares to? That Fi stage ending with the Imprisoned and two Mini-Imprisoned said "Lv 8", but Fi was a lot higher than level 8 and I was still getting wrecked by the low-health stomping shockwaves. So either the Imprisoned is just extra powerful or mission level corresponds to something other than warrior level and I don't know what it could be.

Also, my NNID is JavaJesus

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

Does anybody know what the level of the Adventure mode missions compares to? That Fi stage ending with the Imprisoned and two Mini-Imprisoned said "Lv 8", but Fi was a lot higher than level 8 and I was still getting wrecked by the low-health stomping shockwaves. So either the Imprisoned is just extra powerful or mission level corresponds to something other than warrior level and I don't know what it could be.

Also, my NNID is JavaJesus

I think mission levels only mean "relative to other missions of this type". That Fi stage is "Defeat all Enemies" so what the Lv. 8 is telling you is that there are 7 easier "Defeat all Enemies" missions out there on the map.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Do characters in the modern Dynasty Warriors games have move sets as interesting as Hyrule Warriors? Stuff like Sheik's musical notes or Zelda's Light Arrows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Ganon really doesn't mess around in the final battle, I died twice due to being caught in his purple death laser, my allies meanwhile spent most of the fight soaring through the sky, courtesy of his charge and stomp attacks.

Brilliant fight otherwise though, Zelda Wii U is going to have to work hard to top this for a final fight.

• Locked thread