Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trill Sandwich
Sep 19, 2009
I have an axiom 49 from 2007 and it's still going strong, I had to crack it open once to fix it about a year ago. The way they mount the PCB inside, it rubs on a metal rail and it was shorting the board. Overall though it's pretty solid for its age and the abuse its gotten over the years. The pads really aren't very good though, I've heard there are some mods you can make to up the sensitivity, but I have another pad controller anyway, so I haven't bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Wind_Spirit
Oct 13, 2012

Can anyone vouch for the Critter and Guitari Pocket Piano? It looks really interesting, but I haven't been able to find many in-depth reviews.

http://www.critterandguitari.com/products/pocket-piano

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Let me ask you a question:

WHAT TIME IS LOVE?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone posted:

Let me ask you a question:

WHAT TIME IS LOVE?

3 AM.

ETERNAL.

I was prodding around in the guts of The KLF's original - and now seriously dilapidated - OB12 just the other day, in fact.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Never thought I'd be thanking Microsoft for anything synth-related, but they've handed me all the envelope math I'll ever need. I'm bad at math and my envelope code was always super kludgey.

Now I have n-segment envelopes with 4 curve profile options in under 100 lines of code. Thanks Microsoft!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

sliderule posted:

Never thought I'd be thanking Microsoft for anything synth-related, but they've handed me all the envelope math I'll ever need. I'm bad at math and my envelope code was always super kludgey.

Now I have n-segment envelopes with 4 curve profile options in under 100 lines of code. Thanks Microsoft!

Combined with Synthtember (Synthtober now?) and this post, it seems an appropriate moment to post this:

http://sidehack.gweep.net/~toad/music/mine/floatingbells.mp3

All sounds product by Microsoft Excel, sequenced in Renoise.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

toadee posted:

(Synthtober now?)
OSCtober.

I like the odd and offbeat things coming out of this. I'm sure if we'll make it a regular thing, it'll die in no time.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

toadee posted:

Another Synthember bonus that I pooped out in about an hour after work. I bet the levels are all lovely because I can't mix for poo poo and I didn't care and also there's a Bleep Labs Thingamagoop solo so track is automatically dope.

https://soundcloud.com/david-gates-2/jfk-bass

uh, gently caress yes

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

toadee posted:

Another Synthember bonus that I pooped out in about an hour after work. I bet the levels are all lovely because I can't mix for poo poo and I didn't care and also there's a Bleep Labs Thingamagoop solo so track is automatically dope.

Word, man.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Thanks guys

Here's uhh, two more (if this is bothering anyone let me know).

I'm uhh, addicted to setting my MS-20's HP filter to '2.5' and turning the resonance all the way up.

PS you need a subwoofer to enjoy that, at least seismically.

I still can't mix sorry in advance

https://soundcloud.com/david-gates-2/graffiti
https://soundcloud.com/david-gates-2/a-dog-ate-my-cutoff-knob

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The_Wind_Spirit posted:

Can anyone vouch for the Critter and Guitari Pocket Piano? It looks really interesting, but I haven't been able to find many in-depth reviews.

http://www.critterandguitari.com/products/pocket-piano

Someone posted this a couple pages ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C430AWTvMPs

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Thinking about picking up a Rhythm Wolf. Couldn't remember if any of you guys had experience with it. Fill me in goons.

e: finally i see it's not fully out yet. whoops.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Flipperwaldt posted:

OSCtober.

I like the odd and offbeat things coming out of this. I'm sure if we'll make it a regular thing, it'll die in no time.

Can it with the defeatism. We need to keep the momentum going so we can synthrush the annual SA Christmas album.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Sizone posted:

Can it with the defeatism. We need to keep the momentum going so we can synthrush the annual SA Christmas album.

Maybe by that time I'll actually have a functioning workflow.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Dessert Rose posted:

Maybe by that time I'll actually have a functioning workflow.

Do what many goons before you have done, and the point that the current synth challenge was meant to impress upon everyone, get a loving Rm1x (or, I guess, an OP-1, or something along those lines) and just use that. Instant work flow, hop into bed, put your groovebox on your lap, put some headphones on, INSTANT WORK FLOW.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
I do have an OP-1. I'll see if I can come up with something dumb for OSCtober.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I knew a dude who made awesome BOC-esque music using nothign but a Microkorg sampled and "Sequenced" using copy & paste in Cool Edit Pro. There are no excuses, just make tracks.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I have my most efficient song-writings when it's just me, an old lovely casio, and Reaper.

E: It seems the challenge continues until some mid-October holiday.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 3, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Wait until Columbus day which is, you know, the actual day the challenge ends.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Sizone posted:

Wait until Columbus day which is, you know, the actual day the challenge ends.

Nah.

I really thought it was September ended. You know, with everyone calling it Synthtember. Also, Columbus Day is a strange time to end a challenge.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Rotten Cookies posted:

Nah.

I really thought it was September ended. You know, with everyone calling it Synthtember. Also, Columbus Day is a strange time to end a challenge.

Sizone posted:

Issuing a challenge to you goons. Either take your Rm1x, or your iPad and a copy of the free and totally excellent Yamaha Mobile Sequencer and make a loving song. You have until, gently caress, let's say Columbus Day.
I will be posting a series of short, quasi-informative articles about understanding the ins, outs, nooks and crannies of Rm1x usage during the next few weeks to assist you (conversion to battery power not included).

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Yes, yes, I went back as well. Doesn't change the fact that Columbus day is an odd day to choose, and people calling it Synthtember can cause someone to think that the thing ends when September ends.

E: The "nah" post was supposed to be in a joking tone. And this post isn't meant to sound aggressive. It's just an easy mistake to make. I like a lot of the entries, and wanted to combine them into a playlist to listen to. So I jumped the gun a bit thinking "Oh, SYNTHTEMBER has ended!" v:shobon:v

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 3, 2014

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Rotten Cookies posted:

Yes, yes, I went back as well. Doesn't change the fact that Columbus day is an odd day to choose, and people calling it Synthtember can cause someone to think that the thing ends when September ends.

E: The "nah" post was supposed to be in a joking tone. And this post isn't meant to sound aggressive. It's just an easy mistake to make. Cool?
It is due at the end of September. Columbus Day is a grace period. Think of it like rent.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Columbus day was chosen because it's the only holiday in the middle of October. That is, it was a convenient marker roughly six weeks after the challenge was issued. The only thing odd about it is that it falls on the 13th this year.
By all means, go ahead and compile all the entries, it saves me the trouble of doing it, but wait two more weeks before you do. And remember that the best thing submitted is posted to a tindeck page.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I think its about time for me to add some modular to my life. Looking to grab a core system to rig to Ableton. Does anybody have any particularlly strong feelings on either the Doepfer A-100 or the Pittsburgh Foundation 90? Thanks

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

magiccarpet posted:

I think its about time for me to add some modular to my life. Looking to grab a core system to rig to Ableton. Does anybody have any particularlly strong feelings on either the Doepfer A-100 or the Pittsburgh Foundation 90? Thanks

IMHO, I wouldn't spring for a "core" system. Yes, you will get a functional modular synth experience right out of the gate, but you will also be spending a bunch of money on modules you may not want at full retail.

If you aren't already a member of Muffs, join up and check the For Sale/Trade forum daily. Practically every module will pass through there at some point, usually at around 80% (or more) off.

My suggested steps:
  1. Buy a case - used or new.
  2. Join Muffs and Watch the FST forum. Start slow. Pick up a VCO, VCA (or 2), EG, Filter, Mixer.
  3. Buy a lot of cables at Ad Infinitum (like, a lot - you will never have enough. Ever.)
  4. Play with your new modular and learn what you want/need.
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 (and occasionally 1 as necessary) until you are fulfilled (never) or run out of money (more likely).

Good luck.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Best advice in modular, that— don't buy anything new. Both Pittsburgh and Noisebug have the pittsburgh cases on clearance/scratch&dent. The Cell90 for $150 is a pretty good deal. I'd probably suggest at least 6U but it's a good idea to start small and figure out what you actually want before dumping a bunch of cash.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I actually would suggest going to a home improvement store and getting some plywood cut to whatever dimensions you want your case to be, and spend 15 minutes with a hammer and some wood glue, but that's just me. This is not advanced carpentry, you're literally building a rectangle.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
It's been so long since I've been able to poke a synth. Sizone figured out the jackass who sold me a broken RM1x also had been using the incorrect power supply so I'm still waiting for that one to arrive. The OP-1 is fun as hell but I'm pulling the longest days of my life and haven't had time to do poo poo and depending on my work schedule that might not change soon. So... y'all may get some OSCtober madness from me but it may not be for a while. :(

magiccarpet posted:

I've got a really good case I'd sell cheap just to have it out of my life before I start thinking Eurorack is a good idea again.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 3, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I was looking into buying a Cell 90 actually. I really like the Pitts DNA oscillator and some of their other modules may or may not come in handy for my needs, not to mention the case is quite nice (though if you build out a dual Cell 90 you need to power both cases with separate PSUs). Worst case scenario, I spend the $1,600 on a Cell 90, save a few modules from the set, and sell the rest to break at about even (maybe I save $200 at the end of the day, maybe).

Right now I'm rocking a Tip Top Audio Happy Endings kit but the more I play with my modular the more I realize modular is meant to be portable, not really rack mounted (unless you have a HUGE modular which I do not).

Theres also the option of building your own like toadee mentioned. FLX (Tuesday Night Machines) did his own portable rig which I found a lot of inspiration with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e--4qI0hro. You could even go a little more DIY and buy a nice molded plastic Otterbox or even an old briefcase and make an enclosure/portable rig out of that! You'll need to still buy some rails and other mounting hardware (and something to power the rig) but it will probably come in cheaper than a 2nd hand fancy case.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I've got a giant synthboner for Erthanvar's new 8U+1U case but they haven't released much info (read: pricing) yet. :(

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Surprised more people here don't just design and build their own modular cases from scratch. It's really only a few pieces of metal you need per row, and this guys prices are great:

http://erthenvar.com/store/casehardware

That's how I built Robot Fart Box (http://youtu.be/gqp4vpEq_-M) which cost about $200 total and although it's not perfect, it is exactly the size and shape I want it to be. I mean modular synthesis is all about building your own synth piece by piece, right?

I mean, if I could do that for 200 bones with little to no design experience, I can imagine what some experienced goons could come up with.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This is all super helpful thanks dudes. I've got most of my outboard gear loaded into a standard gear rack that's portable... Can anyone recommend a eurorack I can toss in there?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

The Cleaner posted:

Surprised more people here don't just design and build their own modular cases from scratch. It's really only a few pieces of metal you need per row, and this guys prices are great:

http://erthenvar.com/store/casehardware

That's how I built Robot Fart Box (http://youtu.be/gqp4vpEq_-M) which cost about $200 total and although it's not perfect, it is exactly the size and shape I want it to be. I mean modular synthesis is all about building your own synth piece by piece, right?

I mean, if I could do that for 200 bones with little to no design experience, I can imagine what some experienced goons could come up with.

Totally! I have no idea about woodworking, hell I don't even own a saw, and I've built two cases already. Wood and other materials are really cheap, and there are some good places for ready-made rails and power supplies. Here is my extensive build documentation of the case Dotcom Jillionaire linked to earlier. Lots of pictures!

magiccarpet posted:

This is all super helpful thanks dudes. I've got most of my outboard gear loaded into a standard gear rack that's portable... Can anyone recommend a eurorack I can toss in there?
Just get rails and rack ears and you're set. Something like this, although he's in Germany, but you'll probably find the parts on Erthenvar's site too. There is also the Doepfer A-100G6, which has power included: http://www.doepfer.de/a100_cases_e.htm

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 4, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I've got an arp going in Synth Squad's strobe and the sound I'm after is definitely best attained by messing with the stack knob. The problem is that obviously this causes phasing over time and at certain parts of the phase it sounds like garbage . Can anyone suggest something to rein it in/eliminate it? I'm running it all through distortion so the phasing has a pretty noticeable effect.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I've got an arp going in Synth Squad's strobe and the sound I'm after is definitely best attained by messing with the stack knob. The problem is that obviously this causes phasing over time and at certain parts of the phase it sounds like garbage . Can anyone suggest something to rein it in/eliminate it? I'm running it all through distortion so the phasing has a pretty noticeable effect.

You want a MIDI quantizer to snap to values that sound good. Do you have Max4Live?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Nope and that sounds a lot like getting into the details I was trying to ignore. :(

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

toadee posted:

I think this is very great

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Nope and that sounds a lot like getting into the details I was trying to ignore. :(

Resample the notes that sound good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Man, gently caress getting an iPad to work with midi. I had to get (actually, I made waffle get it for me) a lightning to usb female adapter. None of my midi adapters would work natively with the thing because they predate the midi device class standard. So I ordered a roland um-one. It came in today. First, I thought it was broken becaue the tab/comp slider was set to comp. Its plugged in a working now, but, also to my surprise, I should be running it though a powered usb hub.
The final set up is going to be a lighting to usb to powered usb hub to um-one, probably also um-one to midisport 2x2 so I have a breakout. Also a goddamn battery pack for the usb hub. That is a loving stupid amound of cables and boxes to be able to do something with a thing that I got largely to get away from cables and boxes. In short, gently caress you, apple.