Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I've been playing a bit of Recettear lately which has me considering buying Atelier Rorona Plus for the Vita. I assume it's more or less the same game as on the ps3? It sounds pretty fun, and is less expensive on the Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Been hearing some stuff around the net that natural doctrine has a lot of bullshit like spawning enemies out of thin air with no warning, forcing you to replay the maps to prepare for it. Any truth to this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

I've been playing a bit of Recettear lately which has me considering buying Atelier Rorona Plus for the Vita. I assume it's more or less the same game as on the ps3? It sounds pretty fun, and is less expensive on the Vita.

It's the same as Atelier Rorona Plus on the PS3 but not the same as Atelier Rorona classic on the PS3. Unlike the other two Plus games it's a remake rather than a port.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Been hearing some stuff around the net that natural doctrine has a lot of bullshit like spawning enemies out of thin air with no warning, forcing you to replay the maps to prepare for it. Any truth to this?

Eh yes and no, it's frustrating sometimes but it's not really worse then any Fire Emblem game. People like to whine about doors being a total gently caress you as well, but the game straight up teaches you how to open them without getting ganked.

PLAY THE loving TUTORIAL though holy poo poo is it important.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

Eh yes and no, it's frustrating sometimes but it's not really worse then any Fire Emblem game. People like to whine about doors being a total gently caress you as well, but the game straight up teaches you how to open them without getting ganked.

PLAY THE loving TUTORIAL though holy poo poo is it important.

I see, any chance you could expand a bit on how brutal these door encounters and spawning enemies are? I don't mind something to keep me on my toes and punishing bad positioning but the complaints are causing sort of middling review scores (not that I really care about reviews) so I kind of want to know exactly what I'm in for before I take the plunge.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Basically if you open a door without actually preparing a defense first you'll have a bad time. Other than that, it's not too bad. With the enemy spawns, I've never had them spawn on top of me or anything, usually it's on the other side of the map with ample warning.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Million Ghosts posted:

Basically if you open a door without actually preparing a defense first you'll have a bad time. Other than that, it's not too bad. With the enemy spawns, I've never had them spawn on top of me or anything, usually it's on the other side of the map with ample warning.

I'm glad to hear the game is solid. Is it 60 dollar solid though? I'd get the PS4 version if anything.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Million Ghosts posted:

I've heard that it's quite possible to die by means completely outside your control.

As an example, apparently melee combatants automatically move into the next space when they kill something and that space is now empty. This includes even if they kill it with a counter, so it's quite possible to be attacked, (unavoidably) counter, kill it, and walk right into the next space, where something you didn't even know was present now destroys you before you get a turn. And since you get a game over if you lose any party member... well, that's it.

Is this a situation that you actually have to be wary of, or was it someone blue-skying the absolute worst thing that could happen? (Or is it not even correct?)

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I mean it's possible but I haven't had it happen yet. It's hard of course but it's not unfair bullshit like most reviews seem to claim.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

HiveCommander posted:

Really? That sucks, since the first transformation song is so dumb that it's cool, and I loving love it.

I have no idea what this game is or what it's about, but this song kind of makes me want to buy it.

Edit: Looking up more about it, it sounds like the game is very Ok, not bad or great. Uematsu as composer though, the hell?

goldjas fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 4, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thanks for addressing my concerns, Million Ghosts. Probably will bite the bullet on Monday.

In other RPG news..

This JoJo's rpg just got translated
]

It follows the plot of Stardust Crusaders but starring YOU as the seventh member of the group!!! You take a cool little personality test and get assigned a Stand and join in on the adventure. Graphically it looks like a game boy game, but I think it looks really nice. I've heard nothing but good things, and there's a ton of endings and stuff for replaying. Even if you don't know what a JoJo is I recommend checking it out. Haven't gotten a chance to really sink my teeth into it yet but I'm liking what I played.

You can get it here:http://7thjojo.tumblr.com/post/98202338885/after-several-months-in-the-making-the-7th-stand

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Thanks for addressing my concerns, Million Ghosts. Probably will bite the bullet on Monday.

In other RPG news..

]

It follows the plot of Stardust Crusaders but starring YOU as the seventh member of the group!!! You take a cool little personality test and get assigned a Stand and join in on the adventure. Graphically it looks like a game boy game, but I think it looks really nice. I've heard nothing but good things, and there's a ton of endings and stuff for replaying. Even if you don't know what a JoJo is I recommend checking it out. Haven't gotten a chance to really sink my teeth into it yet but I'm liking what I played.

You can get it here:http://7thjojo.tumblr.com/post/98202338885/after-several-months-in-the-making-the-7th-stand

That's pretty drat cool. Giving this a whirl.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Prism posted:

As an example, apparently melee combatants automatically move into the next space when they kill something and that space is now empty. This includes even if they kill it with a counter, so it's quite possible to be attacked, (unavoidably) counter, kill it, and walk right into the next space, where something you didn't even know was present now destroys you before you get a turn. And since you get a game over if you lose any party member... well, that's it.

Is this a situation that you actually have to be wary of, or was it someone blue-skying the absolute worst thing that could happen? (Or is it not even correct?)

Actually, from my experience, you only advance forward with your melee characters if you initiate the attack yourself. This includes the wizard character if you decide to attack with his melee attack, though I imagine he stays put if he's on the melee advancing square and he uses a magic spell for his attack. If you do clear out the space ahead from counter attacks triggered by getting attacked, it just means that the space opens up for advancing next time someone on your team gets initiative if an enemy doesn't occupy that spot.

So far, at least on normal, it really is the type of game that wants you to think ahead about what you're doing, why your doing it, and if you're getting the absolute most you can out of it, especially when it comes to magic.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Actually, from my experience, you only advance forward with your melee characters if you initiate the attack yourself. This includes the wizard character if you decide to attack with his melee attack, though I imagine he stays put if he's on the melee advancing square and he uses a magic spell for his attack. If you do clear out the space ahead from counter attacks triggered by getting attacked, it just means that the space opens up for advancing next time someone on your team gets initiative if an enemy doesn't occupy that spot.

So far, at least on normal, it really is the type of game that wants you to think ahead about what you're doing, why your doing it, and if you're getting the absolute most you can out of it, especially when it comes to magic.

Cool. I'm definitely OK with that; I was worried about things that were out of my control loving me up, but if it's my mistake that's totally okay. I might have to see about picking it up for the Vita then.

edit: I have only a PS3 and Vita, no PS4; is there any reason to get it on one system over the other? I'm inclined to get Vita just so it's portable, but if it looks really bad or doesn't play as well I'll pick up a PS3 copy. Or is it cross-buy?

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 5, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

In other RPG news..

I've been playing this for a week now. It has the aesthetic of a gameboy FF game and it's pretty fun, aside from some bullshit insta-death stuff(but that was an optional thing anyway).
I dunno about being Adam Ant though...is that even a band name?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

HGH posted:

I've been playing this for a week now. It has the aesthetic of a gameboy FF game and it's pretty fun, aside from some bullshit insta-death stuff(but that was an optional thing anyway).
I dunno about being Adam Ant though...is that even a band name?

Technically, no.

He's the lead singer of Adam and the Ants.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

In other RPG news..

]

This game is especially cool for JoJo fans. It goes through pretty much the entirety of Stardust Crusaders except with you tagging along and influencing the outcome of certain events. Seeing the events of Stardust Crusaders reenacted by tiny gameboy style sprites is pretty nifty.

It's standard RPG Maker 2000 combat though so that can get old after a while, especially if you've played games from that engine before.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

would have been cool if there were more gba-style renditions of jojo music, or w/e, and less stock rpgmaker songs

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

goldjas posted:

I have no idea what this game is or what it's about, but this song kind of makes me want to buy it.

Edit: Looking up more about it, it sounds like the game is very Ok, not bad or great. Uematsu as composer though, the hell?

He worked on the music for Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory as well. Compile Heart must have some serious dirt on him.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Thuryl posted:

He worked on the music for Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory as well. Compile Heart must have some serious dirt on him.

Alternatively, he's a freelance composer for hire and they're willing to pay the rates he charges for one or two songs so that they can publicise that he worked on the game (while playing down that he only actually wrote one or two songs).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Thuryl posted:

wateyad posted:

Alternatively, he's a freelance composer for hire and they're willing to pay the rates he charges for one or two songs so that they can publicise that he worked on the game (while playing down that he only actually wrote one or two songs).

You can usually find out this sorta stuff by looking up the credits I think. If I recall correctly, both Uematsu and Kenji Ito (the guy who did the SaGa music for the most part) worked on these games and had about 8 tracks a piece each? Some were distributed among Uematsu's band mates too. I also remember a bunch more being outsourced too.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Uematsu gotta get paid, son.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Anyone else pick up The Sacred Tears True off of steam? Bought it on a lark and i'm enjoying it a lot, it's just really hard to find any sort of walkthrough or quest info stuff since it's super obscure.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Anyone else pick up The Sacred Tears True off of steam? Bought it on a lark and i'm enjoying it a lot, it's just really hard to find any sort of walkthrough or quest info stuff since it's super obscure.

I was curious about this one and Pier Solar, but probably going to skip both for a while. Too much in the backlog and u still haven't finished Divinity and haven't started that Shadowrun standalone.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like how you can switch the character portraits in Natural Doctrine from "anime" to "realistic" and how loving horrifying the realistic setting looks.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like how you can switch the character portraits in Natural Doctrine from "anime" to "realistic" and how loving horrifying the realistic setting looks.

:allears:

Go on. This game sounds more interesting with every post.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I tried Realistic for about 3 seconds, shuddered in terror, and switched back to anime.

Now I'm stuck in some stupid skeleton filled labyrinth thing and have no idea how they want me to beat it! NAtURAL DOCtRINE :suicide:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I also picked up Natural Doctrine but I think that might have been a mistake on my part, as I'm nowhere near tactical minded enough to actually DO anything in this game. I barely scraped by the first real map and the second real map has hosed me over multiple times. I think I suck too much for this poo poo.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Yo, I just started playing Valkyria Chronicles and this game is really good so far.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I kinda want to see both, because I'm pretty much thinking of the same thing in Metal Head for the 32X..or Star Ocean 4.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

The Machine posted:

Yo, I just started playing Valkyria Chronicles and this game is really good so far.

It's a really fun game, I hope you enjoy it. :)

Valkyria Chronicles always reminded me of Ring of Red in that it was an early/the first SRPG for its respective console, and it was super unique and never really replicated again during that generation.

Though I do recognize that VC was way more well received than Ring of Red ever was. I've been playing Ring of Red every day since launch and I still haven't reached the end yet.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I love Ring of Red. Such a unique game, way different than your average SRPG battle system. It's really a pity that it is such an unknown because I really would have dug a sequel.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I kinda want to see both, because I'm pretty much thinking of the same thing in Metal Head for the 32X..or Star Ocean 4.

Sadly the realistic option doesn't let you see the full character like the anime one does but the faces are really all that matter.

anime:

"realistic":

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Machine posted:

VC does rule

when you inevitable get stuck on chapter 7 come back here and i'll give you quality advice

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

My rear end has a very important message for you, milord. :wink:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

God drat it, video games.

Cake Attack posted:

VC does rule

when you inevitable get stuck on chapter 7 come back here and i'll give you quality advice

Or when you realize the series went portable only after the first. :negative:

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 7, 2014

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

The White Dragon posted:

My rear end has a very important message for you, milord. :wink:

She dies like an hour in anyways so.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I chose her for my example picture specifically because that pose made me laugh really hard at how dumb it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Everyone else is varying levels of sensible to boring. The main dude is all blue and named loving Geoff. Creativity through supreme laziness.