Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Now that some time has passed I feel like I'm not really in any huge hurry to return to the Wormiverse. When is Wildbow supposed to start on that again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Now that some time has passed I feel like I'm not really in any huge hurry to return to the Wormiverse. When is Wildbow supposed to start on that again?

Was there ever a return planned? I know wildbow runs a forum role playing campaign set in the Worm world, but I think that's it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Namarrgon posted:

Was there ever a return planned? I know wildbow runs a forum role playing campaign set in the Worm world, but I think that's it.

He's going to edit it including the part everyone thinks sucks.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
He's said that he plans on doing a sequel to Worm after Pact (and maybe another project). He's not working on it right now, since he's busy with writing Pact, editing Worm and just everyday real life stuff.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Happy Yeti posted:

He's said that he plans on doing a sequel to Worm after Pact (and maybe another project). He's not working on it right now, since he's busy with writing Pact, editing Worm and just everyday real life stuff.

I mean that, everyone knows that. Obviously.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Ah okay. I knew he was planning to edit it and eventually make it a real book. Didn't know he had a sequel planned.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Isn't it supposed to involve the Sleeper in some capacity and that's basically all we loving know about it?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

Isn't it supposed to involve the Sleeper in some capacity and that's basically all we loving know about it?

That's as much as I know.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Peter, you magnificent rear end in a top hat. :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like it when people try to interpret characters from Pact as analogues of Worm characters, but... I have to say, Peter reminds me a lot of Regent.

I doubt he's leaving the story any time soon, or that he'll only have a minor part. I mean, he might get taken out in the next chapter, but he'd make a fantastic untrustworthy-yet-indispensable ally.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

The way Peter is good at reading people and picks up on things so quickly, and finds unconventional ways to fix a problem reminds me a lot of Blake.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

On a scale of 1 to Wildbow, how bad is the grenade going to gently caress up everything after they survive the night?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Remora posted:

On a scale of 1 to Wildbow, how bad is the grenade going to gently caress up everything after they survive the night?

It probably fell into Johannes domain, forcing his hand to attack the Thorburns as well this night. :v:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hollylolly posted:

The way Peter is good at reading people and picks up on things so quickly, and finds unconventional ways to fix a problem reminds me a lot of Blake.

Helps solidify my idea that Blake might be an amalgam creation pieced together from elements of most or even all of the Thorburns.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

NecroMonster posted:

Helps solidify my idea that Blake might be an amalgam creation pieced together from elements of most or even all of the Thorburns.

Counterpoint: despite his memories of a Thorburn upbringing he actually seems like a decent guy

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Grandmother Rose borrowed a bit from all of the Thorburns... Not enough to be noticed, but enough to give him a bit of each of their strengths. Unfortunately, she needed a bit extra to finish filling him out, so she also took all of their basic human decency.

It says a lot about the family that this resulted in Blake being a pretty good guy instead of a saint, considering the number of Thorburns involved.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Einander posted:

Grandmother Rose borrowed a bit from all of the Thorburns... Not enough to be noticed, but enough to give him a bit of each of their strengths. Unfortunately, she needed a bit extra to finish filling him out, so she also took all of their basic human decency.

It says a lot about the family that this resulted in Blake being a pretty good guy instead of a saint, considering the number of Thorburns involved.

My guess is that the actual secret that Rose won't tell anybody is that Blake really WAS the original of the pair. It would be an excellent double fakeout on Wildbow's part.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It occurs to me that Blake and Rose actually working together in proper tandem might actually be counterproductive if the theories about Blake having been created as an agent of change are correct.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

NinjaDebugger posted:

My guess is that the actual secret that Rose won't tell anybody is that Blake really WAS the original of the pair. It would be an excellent double fakeout on Wildbow's part.

Won't tell anybody except Ty, Tiff, and Alexis. They all seem to know something and that it would make Blake turn on Rose.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Even if Blake was the original he's too far gone to likely ever be really human again.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Namarrgon posted:

Before the Seal, humanity was basically a primite prey species to Others. Solomon was the biggest, baddest wizard that challenged the most powerful Others, and eventually settled on a compromise; 'innocent' humans are kept safe, while Awakened humans can be targeted by Others. While the Seal works for humanity in perpetuity, it only works for Others that were either present when the Seal was made or as this chapter teaches us those that agree to be bound to it afterwards. Also apparently it is a power source, which makes some sense, as no Other would agree to it otherwise.

Presumable the can't-tell-lies was put in there as a form of antiquity chivalry.

My pet theory is that part of what the eponymous Pact refers to is the Seal of Solomon somehow being a bad thing. Maybe not when it was devised, but in how it's ultimately ended up warping the world or limiting humanity.

Edit: possibly relatedly, check out the etymology of the lawyers. Lewis, Levin, and Mann. Tribe of Levi, Americanized Tribe of Levi, and... well. :haw:

I'm not at all sure that it's irrelevant that the tribe of Levi were / included the priests of ancient Israel, more or less.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 5, 2014

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

GreyjoyBastard posted:

My pet theory is that part of what the eponymous Pact refers to is the Seal of Solomon somehow being a bad thing. Maybe not when it was devised, but in how it's ultimately ended up warping the world or limiting humanity.

Edit: possibly relatedly, check out the etymology of the lawyers. Lewis, Levin, and Mann. Tribe of Levi, Americanized Tribe of Levi, and... well. :haw:

I'm not at all sure that it's irrelevant that the tribe of Levi were / included the priests of ancient Israel, more or less.

Welp, I've always enjoyed obscure theology, and now you've got me looking up Solomon again. Interesting things of note:

The first historical mention of the Seal of Solomon the was in an apocryphal early-christian work called The Testament of Solomon. In it, the seal is a physical ring, that binds demons if you stamp them with its mark. Maybe this was Pact-Solomon's instrument? The first demon bound by the seal was named Ornias (cue dramatic music). Ornias' association with falling stars comes from this bit as told to Solomon:

Ornias posted:

... we demons fly about in the air; and we hear the voices of the heavenly beings, and survey all the powers. And as having no ground (basis) on which to alight and rest, we lose strength and fall off like leaves from trees. And men seeing us imagine that the stars are falling from heaven. But it is not really so, O king; but we fall because of our weakness, and because we have nowhere anything to lay hold of ...

So it may be that Pact's Ornias only gives the illusion of falling stars just like Ur only gives the illusion of removing people from existence. Perhaps this is a trend with demons? This also implies that Pact-Solomon was a daemonologist, which several mystic traditions reported him to be in real life. Note that Solomon's original story was essentially a story of hubris and falling from grace, so I expect those themes to come back if/when we learn more about the Seal's origins.

We should also watch out for a demon named Ephippas who shows up a few times.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 5, 2014

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Wildbow has a lot of explaining to do in the next arc. I didn't catch the significance of what Corvidae held at the end -- Barbatorem?. Also, looks like whoever said Blake was real and Rose was the clone was right all along? I'm glad if it's true, because the fake-Blake thing really rubbed me the wrong way.

Finally, the only mention of malfeasance in the arc was the one reference in the contract, and we didn't see it come to pass before this histories chapter. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but doesn't Wildbow normally have stronger ties to his arc titles?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Grundulum posted:

Wildbow has a lot of explaining to do in the next arc. I didn't catch the significance of what Corvidae held at the end -- Barbatorem?. Also, looks like whoever said Blake was real and Rose was the clone was right all along? I'm glad if it's true, because the fake-Blake thing really rubbed me the wrong way.

Finally, the only mention of malfeasance in the arc was the one reference in the contract, and we didn't see it come to pass before this histories chapter. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but doesn't Wildbow normally have stronger ties to his arc titles?

Dunno about the rest but my reading of Corvidae's poo poo was he stole Conquest's mirror so basically Rose will be forever influenced by him. I believe her plan was supposed to be "draw from Conquest until he gets too much influence on her and then undo the binding so he can't influence her anymore" but now it's going to fall apart into "draw from Conquest until he gets too much influence on her...whoops."

edit: I eagerly await my "Rose and Blake were both real people but were both Crone Mara'd into being Rose Sr. and Rose Sr.'s familiar, respectively" theory to be proven completely true so I can then make more ridiculous guesses with some minor amount of credibility.

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 7, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm not sure of the meaning of half of what I just read but Corvidae is hella scary, and I have the feeling that by summoning him they just tipped everything toward disaster I wonder what the deal with the old woman was - didn't we see her during Blake's visions at the very beginning?

Grundulum posted:

looks like whoever said Blake was real and Rose was the clone was right all along? I'm glad if it's true, because the fake-Blake thing really rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm not seeing this? Where is this shown?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The old woman is the old aboriginal woman practitioner who lives in Jacobs Bell. Maggie went to see her when she lost her name.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So Blake apparently has more than two eyes now? When did that happen? Has he noticed that yet?

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 7, 2014

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Pavlov posted:

So Blake apparently has more than two eyes now? When did that happen? Has he noticed that yet?

Those are the bird tattoos/spirits blinking in time with him.

Grundulum posted:

Where is this?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm not seeing this? Where is this shown?

Who does Blake suggest Peter was jealous of? You can't be jealous of a family member who never existed. Of course, we're seeing everything through Blake's eyes (only two of them, as I think the others are birds), so it's entirely possible he guessed wrong and Peter will correct him.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

If Corvidae messes with Rose by giving Blake back his connections it would be perfection.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Grundulum posted:

Who does Blake suggest Peter was jealous of? You can't be jealous of a family member who never existed. Of course, we're seeing everything through Blake's eyes (only two of them, as I think the others are birds), so it's entirely possible he guessed wrong and Peter will correct him.

“You’ve got odd friends,” Blake’s relative said.

“Yes,” Blake replied.

“I remember when the family got together, I was jealous of-“

The town bell tolled. Green Eyes liked the town bell.

“Being?”

A second toll.

“Sorry, was going to say jealous, but…”

“Of?”

Third toll.

“I don’t know,” Peter said. “Paige, Molly, and-“

Fourth toll.

“Me?” Blake asked.

With the fifth toll marking sundown, the house shuddered.

Yeah, that looks like a classic "gotcha" to me. But who knows, they get interrupted and that's kind of a thing in this story - when someone interrupts you and you don't get to hear the rest then it was an important thing.

hollylolly posted:

If Corvidae messes with Rose by giving Blake back his connections it would be perfection.

Just evan please.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

hollylolly posted:

Well, now I know what I'm rooting for.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Corvidae is already messing with Rose by "tainting" her the way they think Conquest is supposed to be tainting Rose, I'm sure that's trouble enough.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Are we getting a Wednesday update this week?

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
If you mean Thursday, then yes.
Wildbow has posted the schedule for the month on the donate page, apparently there will be one next week too, but not the week after that.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
"You feel like this all the time, Blake?"

Now you know what it's like being a Wildbow protagonist. :smug:

Edit to add: I'm pretty sure I understand the relevance of this latest arc title.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We're at the part of a Wildbow story arc where if it can get worse, it will; and if it can't? Turns out you're wrong, it can.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Things can totally get worse from here. Barbatorem is still bound, after all.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

And Blake is still mentally basically human, so it's not like he doesn't still have a ton he could lose/give up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Duress 12.2 The witch hunters were the least of our problems, with the Thorburns gathered in the diabolist library, and monsters at the gates.

:ohdear:

I can't think of any aces they might have up their sleeves - a lot of wildcards though with the Thorburns. Barboretum doesn't work as an ace if no one can control him.

• Locked thread