Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

dkj posted:

Sepp confirms 5th term.

mods! ban this sick filth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
When is United Passions coming out

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

United Passions sounds so much like Mr. Burns's film festival movie that I'm wondering if it will contain a scene with Sepp Blatter as ET.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

TheBigAristotle posted:

When is United Passions coming out

It was released in June. As of this date it's only available in Serbia.

Not a joke.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

It was released in June. As of this date it's only available in Serbia.

Not a joke.
Somehow manages to be the most disgusting Serbian Film

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Despite screening it at the Cannes movie festival Fifa went out of their way to try and limit critics access to the film and controlled the number of people who witnessed it. One of the reasons for this is based on what the director and Tim Roth have said about the film, Fifa isn't exactly happy with it as despite the tight controls they placed over production both slipped in some irony and near parody to the film and they snuck in some subtext about Blatter being horribly corrupt.

There's zero chance they ever give it a general release.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Despite screening it at the Cannes movie festival Fifa went out of their way to try and limit critics access to the film and controlled the number of people who witnessed it. One of the reasons for this is based on what the director and Tim Roth have said about the film, Fifa isn't exactly happy with it as despite the tight controls they placed over production both slipped in some irony and near parody to the film and they snuck in some subtext about Blatter being horribly corrupt.

There's zero chance they ever give it a general release.
Need more details. A FIFA-sanctioned film that makes Blatter look like a crook is the dream.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Need more details. A FIFA-sanctioned film that makes Blatter look like a crook is the dream.

quote:

The film faced criticism from media concerning the £16million cost of production, more than the annual turnover of most of UEFA's national associations.[4][5][6]

Roth has said that he told the filmmakers, "Where's all the corruption in the script?...Where is all the back-stabbing, the deals? So it was a tough one. I tried to slide in a sense of it, as much as I could get in there."[2] The director of United Passions, Frédéric Auburtin, claimed he inserted "ironic parts" into the film.[2]

In his show Last Week Tonight, John Oliver lampooned the film saying that the "movie, like FIFA itself, looks terrible", asking "Who makes a sports film where the heroes are the executives?"[7]

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

They were supposed to release it in Russia over the summer as well but they sort of decided quietly to put off doing so. There's a sense in the industry that one of the big reasons they're terrified of doing so is that as soon as they put it out there the wrong sort of people (ie film critics) will see it.

Basically Fifa spent more money on a film than many football associations get to make a film they now don't want anyone to see.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was asking about the supposed subtext about Blatter being corrupt that they slipped into the film. That's the first I've heard of it.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vegetable posted:

I was asking about the supposed subtext about Blatter being corrupt that they slipped into the film. That's the first I've heard of it.

I doubt it's even in there. Tim Roth and the director are just pretending they're not complete whores.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The movie also stars Sam Neill, Gerard Depardieu and apparently Fisher Stevens.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

The movie also stars Sam Neill, Gerard Depardieu and apparently Fisher Stevens.

Is FIFA HQ where you ended up when you went through the portal in event hozion?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Don't forget that Gerard Depardieu is the guy who moved to Russia to avoid France's new high taxes. Even if Roth and the director did slip in some ironic corruption, I'm pretty sure Depardieu didn't.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

vyelkin posted:

Don't forget that Gerard Depardieu is the guy who moved to Russia to avoid France's new high taxes. Even if Roth and the director did slip in some ironic corruption, I'm pretty sure Depardieu didn't.

Doesn't Depardieu drink like 18 bottles of wine a day or something crazy like that?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2814362/

I think this blog post sums United Passions up: http://allaboutangles.wordpress.com/2014/05/22/fifa-spends-30-million-on-united-passion-a-bonfire-vanity-project-for-sepp-blatter/

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Does this movie pass the Bechdel test? I doubt it. Kill all white men.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
United Passions is the new The Day the Clown Cried

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

jyrka posted:

Does this movie pass the Bechdel test? I doubt it. Kill all white men.

lol

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I just want to see a documentary on FIFA corruption, with Jack Warner selling everyone out.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

CubanMissile posted:

Jack Warner selling everyone out.

Didn't he already do this? I swear I have this memory of him completely spilling everything and even showing hard evidence to all the corruption going on but the media completely ignored him or something. Was it just a fever dream?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Wirth1000 posted:

Didn't he already do this? I swear I have this memory of him completely spilling everything and even showing hard evidence to all the corruption going on but the media completely ignored him or something. Was it just a fever dream?

I remember this too

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Some woman players are suing FIFA and the Canadian Soccer Association at an Ontario Human Rights Tribunal because the Women's World Cup next year is being played on artificial turf. They say it's sexual discrimination that the men's tournaments happen on real grass while the women's tournament happens on poo poo artificial turf.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29453614

tbh I think they've got a point, artificial turf is some big time fail and it only gets used for football in Canada because growing good grass here is too expensive cause it's so loving cold all the time.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Wasn't Canada the only country that offered to organize the tournament? If turf is what they have then tough poo poo.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
They should make them play in the 50 degree heat of a gulf coast desert nation so that they are being treated the same as the men

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Polidoro posted:

Wasn't Canada the only country that offered to organize the tournament? If turf is what they have then tough poo poo.

Its bad enough they have to deal with a glass ceiling (Zero women on teams like Barca and Madrid. Really?? In 2014??) now they have to deal with a non grass floor. I'm with the babes on this one.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
I can't wait till 2022 when Qatar announces they can't grow grass in their climate and switch to fake turf

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

African AIDS cum posted:

Its bad enough they have to deal with a glass ceiling (Zero women on teams like Barca and Madrid. Really?? In 2014??) now they have to deal with a non grass floor. I'm with the babes on this one.

FIFA oppresses all players but privileges male players over female ones. We need a it is a kyriarchy emote over here.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I may be wrong but haven't FIFA/UEFA decided artificial turf is fine? It's used in CL/EL games in like Russia afaik

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Polidoro posted:

It was between us and Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe backed out so yeah

EvilHawk posted:

I may be wrong but haven't FIFA/UEFA decided artificial turf is fine? It's used in CL/EL games in like Russia afaik

Yes, also apparently if you sue FIFA your entire federation gets suspended, so this affects the entire USSF. If they really felt so strongly about it they'd boycott the tournament. They won't

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I'm brave enough to say it. I'm boycotting the women's world cup. Won't watch a single second of it. Take that Blatter you fucktard.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm brave enough to say it. I'm boycotting the women's world cup. Won't watch a single second of it. Take that Blatter you fucktard.

*mournful over the shoulder look goodbye*

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

More women playing soccer is cool and good. I want to see a female Gattuso tear one right through Luis Suarez.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Vegetable posted:

More women playing soccer is cool and good. I want to see a female Gattuso tear one right through Luis Suarez.

No.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'd be more sympathetic to the lawsuit if the female players cited it as a safety issue instead WE ARE TOTALLY BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST!!! because many MLS and NFL teams use FieldTurf and even though it's better than the old green concrete it still chews up knees and bodies has issues at high temperatures. FIFA experiments with stuff in minor tournaments, and in spite of what those players want to think the Women's World Cup is a minor tournament.

It'd be funny in a perverse way if FIFA just cancelled it.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Crazy Ted posted:

I'd be more sympathetic to the lawsuit if the female players cited it as a safety issue instead WE ARE TOTALLY BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST!!! because many MLS and NFL teams use FieldTurf and even though it's better than the old green concrete it still chews up knees and bodies has issues at high temperatures. FIFA experiments with stuff in minor tournaments, and in spite of what those players want to think the Women's World Cup is a minor tournament.

It'd be funny in a perverse way if FIFA just cancelled it.

Apparently there are laws in Canada about gender inequality, there should be no double standard in rules in regards of the sexes. So in this particular case, they have a very real case.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

oldman posted:

Apparently there are laws in Canada about gender inequality, there should be no double standard in rules in regards of the sexes. So in this particular case, they have a very real case.
Well then why didn't the players file suit when the WWC was first awarded to Canada since it was already known then that all of the stadiums would use FieldTurf?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
What surfaces would they play on if Canada hosted the men's World Cup? If the reason for the fake pitches is the climate it's not an issue of sexual discrimination. If FIFA requires the men's World Cup to be played on real grass but not the women's there is a slight case.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

What surfaces would they play on if Canada hosted the men's World Cup? If the reason for the fake pitches is the climate it's not an issue of sexual discrimination. If FIFA requires the men's World Cup to be played on real grass but not the women's there is a slight case.
The problem is that FIFA reserves the right to do some different things in minor tournaments, and sometimes they do. It's more than likely that they wanted to use the WWC to see if FieldTurf was really a suitable surface to use in competition since so few stadiums outside of the United States and Canada use it. They would probably respond to any lawsuit by pointing this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Russia is going to have to have real grass pitches for the World Cup, even though most of their stadiums are turf, right?

Crazy Ted posted:

Well then why didn't the players file suit when the WWC was first awarded to Canada since it was already known then that all of the stadiums would use FieldTurf?

I was also thinking this.