Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hunterhr posted:

Wait before you go what do you think about the F-35.

:master:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Not a very good plane, especially the B version, nor cost effective. But Italy and UK are stuck with it for their carriers, I suppose. However, they don't get to vote on how they should spend their taxes, and will probably end buying it anyway.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
second question should we put a laser in it, y/n?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cippalippus posted:

Hey let's give total legitimacy to a "religion" founded by a pedo, and full of people who're happy to behead people with kitchen knives or blow themselves up for 70 virgins and a collection of anime in their afterlife. No really it's totally legit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hrmmm

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
But you see minarets will endanger our rich and illustrious culture, furthermore

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That worked better than I thought it would. Also the population of The Swiss is less than New York City. Your "country" is smaller than one of our largest citys. Nobody cares what you really think but we enjoy what babble about. Bragging about how your banking industry just allows people to dodge taxes also makes you look like you enjoy being part of criminal organization.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

You should also look at our crime rate, or better yet, spend your time making games that don't suck poo poo.

But the derail ends here on my part. Sorry for not buying your jets TheFluff, but we don't need them.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cippalippus posted:

You should also look at our crime rate, or better yet, spend your time making games that don't suck poo poo.

But the derail ends here on my part. Sorry for not buying your jets TheFluff, but we don't need them.

"Folks started pointing out the lovely things my country does. This discussion is over."

loving :laffo:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

"Folks started pointing out the lovely things my country does. This discussion is over."

loving :laffo:

If mods agree this discussion can go on, but this derail about a referendum held in Switzerland has been going on for pages without a conclusion. Ultimately it's our right to decide what's good for us, be it fighter jets or minarets. Looking at what happened in Iran or Chile, this idea must sound alien to American ears.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

If mods agree this discussion can go on, but this derail about a referendum held in Switzerland has been going on for pages without a conclusion. Ultimately it's our right to decide what's good for us, be it fighter jets or minarets. Looking at what happened in Iran or Chile, this idea must sound alien to American ears.

When you try to build a moral high ground by saying "it's what works for our country" you lose a significant chunk of credibility. hth

Thank you for advancing my theory that Europeans are just as bad as -- if not worse than -- the average American except with more self-righteousness.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

Looking at what happened in Iran or Chile, this idea must sound alien to American ears.

And what is special about American ears? What wisdom do Americans ignore that Europeans understand innately?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Cippalippus posted:

this idea must sound alien to American ears.

What sounds alien to my American ears is the fact that your country didn't have universal suffrage until nineteen hundred and ninety loving one.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

When you try to build a moral high ground by saying "it's what works for our country" you lose a significant chunk of credibility. hth

Thank you for advancing my theory that Europeans are just as bad as -- if not worse than -- the average American except with more self-righteousness.

You're right, but let's look at this. Our air force currently operates during office hours. Should we buy new jets?

The referendum about minarets happened during a time of turmoil, just a few months before the proposal several members of the Muslim communities in some parts of Switzerland gave outrageous statements about gay rights and Jews (not Israel, I mean jews). Add to this a few cases of women being beaten or killed by husbands/fathers for being too western in their demeanor, and voila. I voted yes, if that makes me a racist, so be it, but my gay friends all voted yes for it too, and some friends of the green party too. It was mostly French cantons voting no, German and Italian cantons largely voting yes.

On topic again, Switzerland entertains excellent relationships with bordering countries, and even if that weren't the case, said bordering countries aren't able to pose a threat to Switzerland or even remotely willing to do it. The last two threats to Switzerland were Hitler and loving Napoleon Bonaparte, and not even them ended up doing what would be a fruitless enterprise.

With all this said, no one had given a single reason why we should spend millions of francs on airplanes that we wouldn't even use, against enemies we don't have.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So you voted to suppress the rights of a minority based on a handful of isolated incidents perpertrated by a small fraction of said community?

How progressive of you :allears:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cippalippus posted:

The referendum about minarets happened during a time of turmoil, just a few months before the proposal several members of the Muslim communities in some parts of Switzerland gave outrageous statements about gay rights and Jews (not Israel, I mean jews). Add to this a few cases of women being beaten or killed by husbands/fathers for being too western in their demeanor, and voila. I voted yes, if that makes me a racist, so be it, but my gay friends all voted yes for it too, and some friends of the green party too. It was mostly French cantons voting no, German and Italian cantons largely voting yes.

Let's not get it wrong, there are multiple places in the US that would vote to outlaw being a Muslim. But we have these things called courts that hinder awful people's attempts to limit free exercise of religion.

lol "you said awful things about a group of people, so gently caress your architecture"

Look, we may have helped bankroll genocide, but we are not about to stand by and let people say mean things about those people that survived said genocide.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Can we talk more about your banks that our Justice Department just fined a couple billion dollars for breaking our laws, with France likely to follow suit? I like you.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

So you voted to suppress the rights of a minority based on a handful of isolated incidents perpertrated by a small fraction of said community?

How progressive of you :allears:

We didn't suppress anything. They can build mosques, they can't build minarets on top of them. If you're so concerned about freedom of religion, try to build a church in Saudi Arabia or better yet, in Mecca.

Edit - which incidentally happen to be close USA allies if I remember correctly.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Shut up. Jesus. Compare maintenace hours from the 1970s to the 2000s please. I need to feel at home in the thread again.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

We didn't suppress anything. They can build mosques, they can't build minarets on top of them. If you're so concerned about freedom of religion, try to build a church in Saudi Arabia or better yet, in Mecca.

Stop deflecting. This entire discussion is about how the US is a terrible country while Switzerland gets to do shady poo poo without criticism because reasons.

See the difference between you and I is that I acknowledge that my country can be terrible while you're in denial about your's.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cippalippus posted:

try to build a church in Saudi Arabia or better yet, in Mecca.

Geography is not your strong suit, is it?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

mlmp08 posted:

And here I thought the Swiss education system was one of the best in the world.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Stop deflecting. This entire discussion is about how the US is a terrible country while Switzerland gets to do shady poo poo without criticism because reasons.

See the difference between you and I is that I acknowledge that my country can be terrible while you're in denial about your's.

I'm not in denial, the problems of my country aren't what's being discussed here. There are many bad things about Switzerland, but the fact that we get to vote about a lot of stuff, or the fact that we used said chance to vote against spending on things we don't need isn't one of them.

The discussion evolved like this when people pointed how evil Russians pose a threat to Switzerland, which is simply laughable. I don't think that Russia has the will or the capacity to pose a threat to anyone but ex-soviet States that are too small to defend themselves but too big to escape the Russian sphere of influence.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Non Muslims aren't even allowed in Mecca, you loving idiot.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Cippalippus posted:

Not to be offensive, but I think he means that Mecca is a city in Saudi Arabia. So your original comment is slightly redundant.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You dig deep enough and holier-than-thou Europeans readily show their deeply held racism and xenophobia.
Hey now some of us have non-white friends. I can even pronounce most of their names.
If you think euros are any less racist than anywhere else, just go talk to any expat anywhere for 5 minutes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cippalippus posted:

Edit - which incidentally happen to be close USA allies if I remember correctly.

How's it feel sucking the long dick of NATO airpower that's kept your glorified bank of a nation from being another ex Warsaw pact member slowly bred out by drunken slavs?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Davin Valkri posted:

Not to be offensive, but I think he means that Mecca is a city in Saudi Arabia. So your original comment is slightly redundant.

Mecca isn't just another city in Saudi Arabia, it's a place where non Muslims can't even set foot. While you can't build a church in Saudi Arabia, you aren't even allowed in Mecca if you aren't a Muslim.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Breaky posted:

How's it feel sucking the long dick of NATO airpower that's kept your glorified bank of a nation from being another ex Warsaw pact member slowly bred out by drunken slavs?

Hahah, do you even know where is Switzerland and what are our neighbours? You're laughably ignorant.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I saw a muslim irl once. I pooped my pants a little.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Instead of arguing about whose country has a better civil rights track record than Saudi loving Arabia, let's post some loving planes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cippalippus posted:

Hahah, do you even know where is Switzerland and what are our neighbours? You're laughably ignorant.

Do you even know what a jokepost is you racist freeloader?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I miss Gavinchat. :smith:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cippalippus posted:

Good job getting all mad about who is and isn't allowed in when I was pointing out that you're too loving dumb to read a map.

Wooper posted:

I saw a muslim irl once. I pooped my pants a little.

The only time a Muslim made me poop my pants a little was when I felt obliged to drink some of the warm goatmilk they offered us. Sneaky buggers almost got me :mad:

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 5, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mortabis posted:

There's a pretty god drat huge difference in kind between what the Russians did in the Baltics and Poland etc. versus anything we did in the Cold War. There's no moral equivalency here. We might not have clean hands, but they're a drat sight cleaner than the Russians'.

If you'd like something recent, besides the obvious Ukraine example, we could happily point you to Chechnya, Georgia, and all of the frozen conflicts in post-Soviet states like Transnistria and Nagorno-Karabakh.

VVVVV The policy of invading neighboring countries to keep them from adopting the free market is even called the "Brezhnev Doctrine."

Why is Putin/Russia to blame for Nagorno-Karabakh?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Good job getting all mad about who is and isn't allowed in when I was pointing out that you're too loving dumb to read a map.

I know perfectly where is Mecca, you dumb piece of poo poo, I was just pointing out a specific city in a specific country with even stricter rules.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

Cippalippus posted:

I know perfectly where is Mecca, you dumb piece of poo poo, I was just pointing out a specific city in a specific country with even stricter rules.

I thought you were going to get out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cippalippus posted:

I'm sorry your ability to write is poor.

I'm thinking of going to Europe soon. Or should I go to Switzerland instead?

RavenKrows posted:

I thought you were going to get out.

Nah, he's gonna win this one any minute.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been to Mecca, it was pretty awesome. Everyone was very friendly.

Also in Army Acquisitions News this week a test is scheduled wherein infantry guys will attempt to engage and destroy hostile drones using loitering LMAMS as directed by air defense guys using networked air defense radars. So, its like really primitive drone v drone combat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I'm sorry your ability to write is poor.

I'm thinking of going to Europe soon. Or should I go to Switzerland instead?

Nah, he's gonna win this one any minute.

Depends. Are you white?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Breaky posted:

Depends. Are you white?

Actually, true story, I flew into Zurich and started taking all my stuff to the customs table and the workers looked at me like I was completely insane and pointed me toward the exit. Then they snagged up the Turkish family next to me and started dumping all of their luggage out.

#WhitePrivilege