Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also apparently they actually had it shooting/saving full 240fps video files during development, to debug their auto-shot feature. They say they didn't release it as a feature because there's no demand for it.

I'd think 240fps video would *create* demand. No one wants a free high-speed-camera mode?

BonoMan posted:

If it's as simple as having it turned on.... why not just leave the feature on?

Possibly because data rate. With 4:2:0 encoding (YV12) the data rate would be around 80 gigabit per second, which you might be able to reduce to 1 or 2 with a good hardware encoder. If you can build one able to handle those rates. You'd still need a massively fast storage to actually store the recording. Something like 200 megabytes per second, for the compressed video.

(Edit for quotes.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it'd definitely be data rates, there's no way you could be shooting 240FPS at that high a res on any consumer storage formats.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Interesting article on the new Samsung NX-1: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/09/27/photokina-interview-samsung-nx1-redefine-pro-performance-quantum-leap-tech

Capable of reading out a full 28mp image 240 times per second, or encoding video into H265, gen-locked EVF with 5ms of lag, and some other fun stuff

Oh man, our lab is still using a janky crash test camera from the 90's (it can go up to 1000fps I think, but a lot of our stuff is 240 or 250). I might need to look at this.

\/\/ Not impossible they would change this in a firmware update

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 3, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Oh man, our lab is still using a janky crash test camera from the 90's (it can go up to 1000fps I think, but a lot of our stuff is 240 or 250). I might need to look at this.

Yeah except this is the exact thing they're leaving out :v:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Currently in the market for a new SLR and torn between the Nikon D610 vs Canon 6D. I am open for other suggestions but after doing some research I am leaning more towards the 6D. My budget is around $2000 and my current SLR is the Nikon D5100 with the basic lenses the kit came with.

I plan on using the new SLR when I go on vacation / stargazing. Mainly taking architecture/landscape/city shots. What I find limiting about what I have now is just the fact that I own an entry-level SLR that's currently outdated. I had some issues taking night time pictures with the D5100 and would like to take my hobby to the next step by purchasing / investing into a nicer SLR. Any thoughts?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Busy Bee posted:

I plan on using the new SLR when I go on vacation / stargazing. Mainly taking architecture/landscape/city shots. What I find limiting about what I have now is just the fact that I own an entry-level SLR that's currently outdated. I had some issues taking night time pictures with the D5100 and would like to take my hobby to the next step by purchasing / investing into a nicer SLR. Any thoughts?

Both solid choices, but if I could ask, what exactly are you finding limiting? The D5100 is by no means a ~pro body~ or anything, but it's also not complete trash.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I bought my D5100 when it was new and I still love it. I just wish it had built in GPS and maybe more AF points but other than that, suitin' my needs.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

Currently in the market for a new SLR and torn between the Nikon D610 vs Canon 6D. I am open for other suggestions but after doing some research I am leaning more towards the 6D. My budget is around $2000 and my current SLR is the Nikon D5100 with the basic lenses the kit came with.

Have you used glass other than the slow kit lens? What exactly are you having issues with?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Glass>sensors. Always. Get good glass. I can take amazing photos with a D50 with a 24-70 on it more so than a 18-55 kit lens. D50 is almost 10 years old. Whats limiting you isnt your sensor its your glass, and you.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Musket posted:

Glass>sensors. Always. Get good glass. I can take amazing photos with a D50 with a 24-70 on it more so than a 18-55 kit lens. D50 is almost 10 years old. Whats limiting you isnt your sensor its your glass, and you.

Just in case you skim over this, this is truth. You're limiting yourself more than anything, and glass is more important than body.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand, sensors have massively improved in the last 5 years. There is a point where a new body makes more sense than new lenses.

I don't know where that point is, I just know it exists!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I will say that complaining about low light performance and thinking of fixing it by jumping ship to Canon from Nikon is pretty funny.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Elliotw2 posted:

I will say that complaining about low light performance and thinking of fixing it by jumping ship to Canon from Nikon is pretty funny.

At high ISO's Nikon and Canon are about equal and the 6D might actually edge out anything Nikon has. For anything but high ISO, the Nikon is definitely better. I think the D610 has better AF, too.

Musket posted:

While this is very true, going to a full frame will help quite a bit with low light photography which is what they were talking about using it for. Busy Bee: maybe look at a used D600/D610 and a good, fast, standard zoom like the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC? Should put you in around that $2000 budget or so.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Get some good glass first, see how you like that, and then upgrade to full frame after that if it's still holding you back.

Something like a 35mm f1.8g (get the dx version for $200, you can always sell it for nearly that much anyways), 50mm f1.8g, and 85mm f1.8g. You'll be pretty amazed at how much better than a kit lens those are. Then, if you're still going to buy a d610, then get a d610.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Busy Bee posted:

I'm going to take a different approach and ask about your current tripod situation. I assume you're using one if you're doing stargazing currently, but if you're using a tripod for architecture/landscape/city shots then high ISO performance shouldn't even be a consideration. A good, sturdy tripod will help your night photography much more than a full-frame sensor will.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

At high ISO's Nikon and Canon are about equal and the 6D might actually edge out anything Nikon has. For anything but high ISO, the Nikon is definitely better. I think the D610 has better AF, too.

...says the guy who hasn't seen the D750 vs 5D3.

But seriously, technically I'm using an "outdated sensor" (I can't remember when the D2X came out but it's been a drat while), and I can't say it's limiting what I do. I've gone through a bunch of camera bodies (E500, E520, D200, D1H, GH1, D2X), and while they've all had their various quirks, the most important part has always been the glass that I put on the front of it.

The best lens I own, the Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED-IF AI-S, is literally older than me.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 4, 2014

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

SoundMonkey posted:

...says the guy who hasn't seen the D750 vs 5D3.

Its only been out for like a week!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Its only been out for like a week!

That's a million years on the internet dude.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
To be fair that comparison making the rounds is between the 5d3 and a D750 performing a 5 stop shadow push at base ISO; a known Canon weakness. Crank the ISO in-camera on the 5d3 past 6400 and the story changes, in Canon's favor even.

But dat DR...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DR is err'ythang

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Bubbacub posted:

Shouldn't be, try using some lens cleaner. But realistically it won't affect your images unless you're stopped to like f/20 or something.
Yeah, nothing on the front element really matters. I've had a newspaper-issue 80-200 f/2.8 that looked like somebody had taken sandpaper to the front glass, and it didn't show on the photos.

Helicity posted:

Just in case you skim over this, this is truth. You're limiting yourself more than anything, and glass is more important than body.
For that reason, I'd go with the Nikon. Presumably Busy Bee already has some Nikon lenses, and the D610 has the internal motor for old lenses -- you can get a nice '90s metal-bodied Nikkor 70-300 for $100-$150 on ebay, as opposed to a plastic Sigma for the same price, or the new OEM version for $Texas on the D5100. Same applies for short lenses if you're going full-frame (suckers like me with APS-C bodies kinda have to buy new wide-angles). Canon changed the mount when they went digital, so you'd be limited to the latter two options.

But yeah, probably a better idea to keep the D5100 and spend the $2000 on this and this, and be better-equipped than most newspaper shooters. And then sell me the wide one cheap when you eventually do upgrade to full-frame :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Delivery McGee posted:

better-equipped than most newspaper shooters

So I'm good with a D100 with the hotshoe broken off and a 35-80 with a jammed zoom ring, right?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Did Canon change its mount when it went digital (circa 2000) or when it went autofocus (circa 1988)?

I thought you could use EOS lenses from the 90s on modern Canon DSLRs.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

Did Canon change its mount when it went digital (circa 2000) or when it went autofocus (circa 1988)?

I thought you could use EOS lenses from the 90s on modern Canon DSLRs.

Digital. And you can, just not the other way around (EF-S won't mount on EF, but EF will mount on EF and EF-S).

Canon full-frame digital uses EF to prevent your dumb rear end for using a crop lens and having your mirror smash into it. Oddly the 10D also used EF for no reason anyone can discern, despite being a crop body.

e: It's similar to Nikon's DX/FX, except in that case all the lenses are mechanically compatible with all the bodies, you just might get horrible vignetting if you go and be all stupid about it. The mirror smacking the rear element is a Canon thing, F-mount has a somewhat longer flange back distance, and I'm only aware of one Nikon lens that will smash your mirror (and you'll never own it or probably even see it).

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 6, 2014

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SoundMonkey posted:

Digital. And you can, just not the other way around (EF-S won't mount on EF, but EF will mount on EF and EF-S).

Canon full-frame digital uses EF to prevent your dumb rear end for using a crop lens and having your mirror smash into it. Oddly the 10D also used EF for no reason anyone can discern, despite being a crop body.

because they didnt make ef-s until the digital rebel came out later. D30, d60 and 10d predated it

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

timrenzi574 posted:

because they didnt make ef-s until the digital rebel came out later. D30, d60 and 10d predated it

Well that makes sense.

I think the 10D (and those others) is the only one where it's not hugely unwise to modify the mount to accept EF-S lenses.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What I want to know is why they got rid of eye-controlled focusing. Never tried it but it sounds sweet as hell.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SoundMonkey posted:

Well that makes sense.

I think the 10D (and those others) is the only one where it's not hugely unwise to modify the mount to accept EF-S lenses.

Ya, you could saw off the extra plastic bit from the back of efs lenses and throw them on a 10/30/60. The 10-22 clears the mirror on aps-h after 16mm or so too, but i think its insane to play that game with a 1 series body.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

timrenzi574 posted:

Ya, you could saw off the extra plastic bit from the back of efs lenses and throw them on a 10/30/60. The 10-22 clears the mirror on aps-h after 16mm or so too, but i think its insane to play that game with a 1 series body.

Yeah I meant on the Dxx/xxD bodies, I wouldn't want to screw with it on a 1.3x crop.

404notfound posted:

What I want to know is why they got rid of eye-controlled focusing. Never tried it but it sounds sweet as hell.

From what I hear it was really really cool but like, not exactly what you'd call "precision." Still, I wish I had a camera that had it because seriously how cool is that.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

SoundMonkey posted:

From what I hear it was really really cool but like, not exactly what you'd call "precision." Still, I wish I had a camera that had it because seriously how cool is that.

Picked up an EOS 3 to use my digital lenses for my traditional photography classes and it's cool, but I mostly use it to show people "hey check this out, my camera can be controlled by my EYE". I'm still a center-point-AF-and-recompose man. Though I can perhaps see some use in macro photography?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Sony's cameras all have a version where it starts the AF searching once the eye detector goes off, but it doesn't change point based on where you're looking (as far as I can tell.)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

SoundMonkey posted:

So I'm good with a D100 with the hotshoe broken off and a 35-80 with a jammed zoom ring, right?

I've had to make do with an 80-200 stuck at f/2.8 (that was fun, shooting stuff in full-on daylight at f/2.8) and a 17-35 with a jammed zoom ring because we didn't have enough spares to send them to the shop/the boss being too lazy to mail them out, so yeah, pretty much.

At least Nikon lenses fail wide open -- don't Canon lenses work the other way, with the springs pulling the aperture closed?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Delivery McGee posted:

don't Canon lenses work the other way, with the springs pulling the aperture closed?

When the diaphragm went out on one of my lenses it locked up the whole camera and flashed an error code. Whee!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

On 51-point modules you don't always get the point you want, but it's still a shitload faster than the joystick.
It's funny they took it out because you can easily disable it, and it was an actual brand differentiator. Wouldn't want that.

Shellman posted:

I'm still a center-point-AF-and-recompose man.
This worked for me until I shot fast lenses or action/sports, especially on FF/film where the focal lengths tend to be longer.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 6, 2014

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

e: It's similar to Nikon's DX/FX, except in that case all the lenses are mechanically compatible with all the bodies, you just might get horrible vignetting if you go and be all stupid about it. The mirror smacking the rear element is a Canon thing, F-mount has a somewhat longer flange back distance, and I'm only aware of one Nikon lens that will smash your mirror (and you'll never own it or probably even see it).

You can find a list of the Nikon lenses to worry about here:
http://www.nikonians.org/reviews?alias=nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility

Canon changed from FD to EF back in 1987, which was seen as a huge gently caress you to Canon photographers at the time but has left Canon with a ridiculously comprehensive and compatible lens collection since that will work on any EF body. In fact, a modern IS lens will stabilize even on a body from the 80s. Good stuff. EF-S was introduced in 2003 with the original Digital Rebel. The 10D which came before while a crop body does not mount EF-S lenses.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Well this feels slightly ridiculous. FD mount. Not bad on the XE, wide as poo poo on my AE-1 and A-1.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Why is there not more love for Canon's 200-400 F/4 with built in 1.4 Teleconverter?

I never see this lens mentioned anywhere in discussion groups such as this, nor have i ever seen it for sale used. (maybe this latter point proves there is a lot of love for this thing, if no one that owns it wants to part with it)

Is it considered a "useless hybrid lens" that mostly appeals to gearheads and not professional photographers? I have read several reviews of it, mostly by pretty big guys i wouldnt guess were wildlife photographers by looking at them. Out of the professional reviews (dpreview, etc) it reviews very well.

I have been wanting to buy this thing for some time now, but find it hard to justify spending the ~$20K it would cost here for something that is essentially a hobby.
I really enjoy taking photos with my 70-200 but find myself at 200mm most of the time. The most fun i ever had photographing was at an airshow i was at recently. I was at 200mm and wishing i could go further on almost every photo, which is why i am looking for something that can reach further.
I dislike the lack of versatility of primes though, so the 200-400 looks like a good candidate. Or maybe ill just get Sigma's new 150-600 instead, seeing as i could buy like 10 of it for 1 Canon lens.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 8, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

I have been wanting to buy this thing for some time now, but find it hard to justify spending the ~$20K it would cost here for something that is essentially a hobby.
There's maybe a dozen pros who post here, and very few amateurs have 20k to blow on an exotic tele.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ineptitude posted:

Why is there not more love for Canon's 200-400 F/4 with built in 1.4 Teleconverter?

I never see this lens mentioned anywhere in discussion groups such as this, nor have i ever seen it for sale used. (maybe this latter point proves there is a lot of love for this thing, if no one that owns it wants to part with it)

Is it considered a "useless hybrid lens" that mostly appeals to gearheads and not professional photographers? I have read several reviews of it, mostly by pretty big guys i wouldnt guess were wildlife photographers by looking at them. Out of the professional reviews (dpreview, etc) it reviews very well.

I really enjoy taking photos with my 70-200 but find myself at 200mm most of the time. The most fun i ever had photographing was at an airshow i was at recently. I was at 200mm and wishing i could go further on almost every photo, which is why i am looking for something that can reach further.
I dislike the lack of versatility of primes though, so the 200-400 looks like a good candidate. Or maybe ill just get Sigma's new 150-600 instead, seeing as i could buy like 10 of it for 1 Canon lens.

Even in photography dollars, $20k is steep. I don't hesitate to spend on my hobby, and that's the kind of thing that never passes from fantasy levels of desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Adding to this, that lens would have to be spectacular because you're getting more-or less the same reach as the 150-600 with the same max. aperture (with the TC engaged). The tamron 150-600 is excellent, and the sigma is probably even better. For 10-20x the price I doubt you'll get 10-20x the performance.