Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Brekelefuw posted:

I hope none of you were the guy wearing the leisure suit with a tall brown top hat.

Hahah yeah, you can bet that dude was looking for any excuse to get up on stage.

Also I'm surprised no one mentioned how we were blessed with seeing Spencer's Anti-Coyote spin kick again, though the effect was diminished without the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Chexoid posted:

Hahah yeah, you can bet that dude was looking for any excuse to get up on stage.

Also I'm surprised no one mentioned how we were blessed with seeing Spencer's Anti-Coyote spin kick again, though the effect was diminished without the music.

Whoa that was a Canadian exclusive!

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Spencer was wearing weird pants. They were like bell bottoms but the back seam was split up to the knee.

Also, he is very tall.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Soo apparently there was another podcast / movie Q&A today at the Vista theater in LA, and the audio's already up? Guest comptroller Kumail!

http://www.harmontown.com/2014/10/episode-119-live-at-the-vista-with-bonus-qa/

Just now starting it, looks slightly shorter than average but still a full show at 1 hr 45 mins.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

JesusFists posted:

Soo apparently there was another podcast / movie Q&A today at the Vista theater in LA, and the audio's already up? Guest comptroller Kumail!

[url][/url]

Just now starting it, looks slightly shorter than average but still a full show at 1 hr 45 mins.

Apparently that episode was on Thursday and just got released today.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Ok, that makes more sense, since they only left Toronto today.

So, show of hands, who's planning to subscribe to HT? It's my favorite podcast, so I think I'll be handing over $45 for a yearlong membership come Jan. 1st.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

JesusFists posted:

Ok, that makes more sense, since they only left Toronto today.

So, show of hands, who's planning to subscribe to HT? It's my favorite podcast, so I think I'll be handing over $45 for a yearlong membership come Jan. 1st.

I am, though I wish they did merch, I'd have a bunch of poo poo by now.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I dunno, Harmontown's quality is way too volatile in my opinion. Am I paying for the funniest podcast around, or am I paying for 2+ hours of Dan trying to grasp simple sociological concepts. I dunno.

edit: Eh I guess five bucks for a whole month is an acceptable risk.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I mean I prefer audio podcasts, and the audio is still going to be free, and I don't live anywhere near LA, so I don't really see the point of paying for a subscription.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Foma posted:

Movie was disappointing, not sure what I was expecting, but the story was so broad brushed that it didn't really open up into anything.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

The Berzerker posted:

I mean I prefer audio podcasts, and the audio is still going to be free, and I don't live anywhere near LA, so I don't really see the point of paying for a subscription.

Yeah I watched the first video they did, and the visual of a homeless looking Harmon on stage doesn't add a lot for me.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Woo after the Saturday show someone was apparently mad that Dan got a bit confused on his gender pronouns and also that he asked for additional "Estrogen" on the stage for DnD.

Ah fun times with Dan Harmon!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What did he sayyyy at the podcast?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
He spent 40 minutes talking to a trans person. If he made one mistake about a pronoun who cares. They spent the first 15 minutes discussing gender pronouns and how you should approach asking people about them.

I think these people are their own worst enemy. Sometimes you just need to relax if someone who doesn't spend their life thinking about this stuff makes a small error.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Brekelefuw posted:

He spent 40 minutes talking to a trans person. If he made one mistake about a pronoun who cares. They spent the first 15 minutes discussing gender pronouns and how you should approach asking people about them.

I think these people are their own worst enemy. Sometimes you just need to relax if someone who doesn't spend their life thinking about this stuff makes a small error.
That sounds like the opposite of what that tweet was saying. I can't imagine dan not going "oh my bad, im a large child so sorry I got that wrong, I'll get it right going forward, what should I refer to you as again?"

Twitter screencaps are a good way to "soundbyte" someone with the wrong context

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think it was Janne (moonshine lady), which if so that's even more fuckin' hilarious because the first time he met her (when she hadn't transitioned or wasn't obviously feminine or something, I'm not clear on the details) he called her "him" and Janne didn't correct him, but then twitter dm'd him before the next podcast and he spent a whole like, thing in the very next podcast pointing out how he hosed up by referring to her as the wrong pronoun- despite there being no possible loving way on this planet that there's any way he could've known that

I think she didn't even refer to herself as Janne to him so yeah

lol

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

I think it was Janne (moonshine lady), which if so that's even more fuckin' hilarious because the first time he met her (when she hadn't transitioned or wasn't obviously feminine or something, I'm not clear on the details) he called her "him" and Janne didn't correct him, but then twitter dm'd him before the next podcast and he spent a whole like, thing in the very next podcast pointing out how he hosed up by referring to her as the wrong pronoun- despite there being no possible loving way on this planet that there's any way he could've known that

I think she didn't even refer to herself as Janne to him so yeah

lol

No Jane doesn't care, she likes Dan and figures he's on the side of freedom and whatnot but still clearly has his own issues. It was someone in the audience according to reddit who was annoyed that Dan slipped up on his pronouns. I think the bigger thing is here, he asked her what pronouns to use but that was after he was already drunk on Vodka and then started drinking moonshine.

All in all I just figured it'd be worth a laugh here, "look tumblr's mad at Dan again".

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

so we should ignore that tweet and this false drama

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cerepol posted:

No Jane doesn't care, she likes Dan and figures he's on the side of freedom and whatnot but still clearly has his own issues. It was someone in the audience according to reddit who was annoyed that Dan slipped up on his pronouns. I think the bigger thing is here, he asked her what pronouns to use but that was after he was already drunk on Vodka and then started drinking moonshine.

All in all I just figured it'd be worth a laugh here, "look tumblr's mad at Dan again".

I didn't mean that twitter Mad Person was Jane, I meant that the person he was talking to onstage probably was Jane and if so lol because he literally already went through that and worked through the sort of self-crucifixion that most people who try to be sensitive liberals do even before SJW there decided to totally own him by concern trollin

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Pronoun drama. Jesus, people will get angry at the stupidest loving thing

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Toxxupation posted:

I didn't mean that twitter Mad Person was Jane, I meant that the person he was talking to onstage probably was Jane and if so lol because he literally already went through that and worked through the sort of self-crucifixion that most people who try to be sensitive liberals do even before SJW there decided to totally own him by concern trollin

The person on stage was Jane, and Dan drank half the bottle of moonshine while talking to her.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is hardly 'drama' honestly, two people said 'hey that was kinda lovely' and he responded with 'woah you're kinda being a baby' which is honestly a kinda shitbag response to something that can be ended with a simple 'yea my bad sorry' but considering Dan's history of being the biggest of podcast baby men I don't think anyone's shocked by this.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
**WHOOP WHOOP** That's the sounds of the beast **WHOOP WHOOP** That's the sounds of the pronoun police

reminds me a bit of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOBoKxEcVAA

Foma fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 7, 2014

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Pronoun Nazis are retarded

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
That poo poo is really hard to get right.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MY ABACUS! posted:

That poo poo is really hard to get right.

It can be, and that's why most people, when faced with a normal pronoun and not some bullshit xir poo poo from tumblr, say poo poo like 'woops my bad,' when someone mentions it, instead of 'woah man you're kinda being a whiner'. Like, what would Dan lose by saying even a really weak apology like 'sorry if that bugged you I'll work on that'.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I dunno, tweet him and ask

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

TontoCorazon posted:

Pronoun Nazis are retarded

It's okay, Dan has a retarded sister!!

As someone who was there, Dan was hammered on Saturday then started drinking moonshine and accidentally called Janne "him" a few times while rambling about how important it is to let people be called whatever pronoun they want. It was clearly not done with any bad intent, he was just drunk and made a mistake, ironically while rambling and ranting about the very thing he was making mistakes about. It's probably even easier to make that mistake because Dan first met Janne as "Glen".

All that said it'd probably just be easier to say sorry but that's not the kind of person he is so whatever

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At least we can all agree that "Janne" is a dumb name.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CPColin posted:

At least we can all agree that "Janne" is a dumb name.

Total agreement there. Stop just shoving letters places

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Is it pronounced like Forest Gump saying "Jenny?"

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

MY ABACUS! posted:

Is it pronounced like Forest Gump saying "Jenny?"

No it's literally Jane now. She changed it.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It can be, and that's why most people, when faced with a normal pronoun and not some bullshit xir poo poo from tumblr, say poo poo like 'woops my bad,' when someone mentions it, instead of 'woah man you're kinda being a whiner'. Like, what would Dan lose by saying even a really weak apology like 'sorry if that bugged you I'll work on that'.

Except this isn't the person who was on stage being hurt or offended (we will have to listen to find that out) it is people who are getting offended on her behalf for pronoun misuse and estrogen comments.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
It's one thing to tweet at somebody to point out, "Hey I think you might have hosed up some pronouns / been wrong about the age of the universe on your podcast," but it's a whole other thing to passive-aggressively call for an apology from that figure on behalf of a stranger who is not you right off the bat.

We can hop on this or that message board to do all our bitching about a free (for now) show, even though we are owed literally nothing (again, for now) but to call the guy at home and give him notes would be obviously crossing a line. I guess we'll see in the future if $5 a month is a suitable price for a license to complain.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I feel like a lot of people didn't read the subscription thing properly.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I wish there was an alternative podcast where a big fat drunken manbaby over-apologizes for everything 100% of the time instead of just 99% of the time.

But alas, xhe world is a cruel place and xwhe all burn in this inferno of hatred and biggotry xwhe call life.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Renters of Harmontown, how are you watching it? It's not showing up in the search on my Roku inside Amazon Instant Video.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
So is the newest Harmontown not available yet or did I miss something in the q&a episode?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Sithsaber posted:

So is the newest Harmontown not available yet or did I miss something in the q&a episode?

That's the newest one. The one taped on Saturday night in Toronto is not up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

The Berzerker posted:

It's okay, Dan has a retarded sister!!

Is this true? I've heard him talk about his brother, but I don't think I've heard anything about sister besides that.

The Q&A was OK, I kinda liked Dan's rant about religion because it was less "angry drunk manchild" and more "guy trying to understand stuff beyond his comprehension...while drunk/angry".