Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

Open World, not Sandbox. There's a big difference. The specific selling point of Starbound over Terraria and Minecraft was that it actually had gameplay and wasn't just build poo poo for no purpose. It's selling point is a well defined, balanced and fun progression, not instant have-everything-go-out-there-and-do-stuff.

Yep! That's why I was so interested in it in the first place. I'm really looking forward to how they handle farming and NPC towns growing off-screen, which are pretty major features they've got lined up.

They've even got some story in there, missions, lore, characters. It was never meant to be a straight Terraria clone, and it seems strange that most of the complaints are that it's shaping up to be exactly as advertised, albeit developed slower than some would like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah starbound is supposed to present a challenge to some degree, so not giving the player everything is sort of required for that to be the case.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

a Poem By Chucklefish Devs:

First they came for the Starbound Forums, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Starbound Forums User.

Then they came for 4chan, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a 4chan User.

Then they came for the Reddit Page, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Reddit User.

Then they came for the Somethingawful Forums—and there was no one left who still liked the game.

Cheen fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 6, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I still like the game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
As do I, though I've only played when they first released the playable build and I've been waiting since then, since the game I want to play (a 2D side-view RPG with good combat, random loot, open world and tech progression) is still being made. And the thing is: It is still being made. A simple glance at their blog will show that's the case, as will the experimental build patch notes.

Starbound is neither abandoned and the devs aren't clueless - they might just not be making the game you want them to. They're making the one they originally promised.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DatonKallandor posted:

Open World, not Sandbox. There's a big difference. The specific selling point of Starbound over Terraria and Minecraft was that it actually had gameplay and wasn't just build poo poo for no purpose. It's selling point is a well defined, balanced and fun progression, not instant have-everything-go-out-there-and-do-stuff.

Derr! Hurr dur dee durrr.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Devour or Fire posted:

Derr! Hurr dur dee durrr.

Uhm, Fire man, did you get hit on the head or something, you sound awfully... dumb.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao at the dumbasses who thought the game was going to be like minecraft or some poo poo

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

lmao at the dumbasses who thought the game was going to be like minecraft fun or some poo poo

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Talk about Chucklefish's office puppy for a few pages that's way more interesting than whatever was posted before this that I didn't read.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Shukaro posted:

Talk about Chucklefish's office puppy for a few pages that's way more interesting than whatever was posted before this that I didn't read.

It really is an amazingly adorable puppy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

Which is why my main concern is, you know, progression :v: More specifically, the combat/survivability progression. Though not making the digging aspect ball busting just so they can say "What are you, casual? :smug:" if you don't like it would also be lovely. Manipulator no longer being ore gated in nightly is a HUGE step in that direction, considering I had no issues with the old dig speeds themselves in old stable.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah starbound is supposed to present a challenge to some degree, so not giving the player everything is sort of required for that to be the case.

You are also supposed to be able to overcome challenges in more than just the 'Well, I got past it I guess' sense. So the most recent dev plans of "The very best guns and armor per tier can kill 1.5-2 even level enemies if you do not miss, and survive 3 hits against +1 enemies" is why I don't think there's much of a "challenge" either.

I mean, if the enemies on your garden world with the best garden world gear are just as hard to kill, and kill you as fast as the enemies at the endgame with that gear... Yeah. Well, I guess the later enemies will also have new attacks like homing missiles, and your health as it stands now will need more roast bannanas to heal a single hit. So the game does get harder, you got me there.

EDIT: Puppy they gave you a box why are you ignoring it.

vvv Yeah. Your guns are made of newer stuff, or have higher numbers... But as things stand the end result is exactly the same. You are not getting your Ice Beam or Wave beam, you are getting "You need the best gun you can possibly make right now, so you can get back to killing less randomly generated enemies than will usually spawn before you run out of energy. Also, you will need the best armor you can possibly make right now so you can fire more than two bullets from that new Uzi, and not die in 3 hits or less. Just like the last three tiers".

And then as your own capabilities remain stuck in a loop of lovely to mediocre, enemies just get more toys like homing missiles (dunno if implemented yet), wind gust spam trying to throw you off asteroids into the abyss (implemented), etc.

Diablo and half life your new toys are ACTUALLY better toys, to go along with the harder enemies. Imagine if the only numbers you could improve in Diablo were your health and your damage, and you only have starting tiny "heal 50 HP over time, wasted if you use before the HoT is done" health potions and 100 health instantly healed items are a lucky find.

Vib Rib posted:

Like many things at this point, the idea itself isn't fundamentally broken, but the implementation needs a lot of tweaking.

Pretty much.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 6, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

You are also supposed to be able to overcome challenges in more than just the 'Well, I got past it I guess' sense. So the most recent dev plans of "The very best guns and armor per tier can kill 1.5-2 even level enemies if you do not miss, and survive 3 hits against +1 enemies" is why I don't think there's much of a "challenge" either.

I mean, if the enemies on your garden world with the best garden world gear are just as hard to kill, and kill you as fast as the enemies at the endgame with that gear... Yeah. Well, I guess the later enemies will also have new attacks like homing missiles, and your health as it stands now will need more roast bannanas to heal a single hit. So the game does get harder, you got me there.

EDIT: Puppy they gave you a box why are you ignoring it.

Generally, for games that feature escalating equipment, having the game throw harder enemies at you to offset your better equipment is... sort of the ideal?

I mean, literally every game that has improving equipment does this, the game is supposed to get harder as it goes along, it's also supposed to get more complex in that enemies throw more attacks at you and you have a more varied arsenal to use against them.

That's entirely normal and sensible for any game, from Half Life to Diablo that features you getting better stuff as you go along.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Like many things at this point, the idea itself isn't fundamentally broken, but the implementation needs a lot of tweaking.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait for them to put in building and, er, farming as separate and equal methods for progression.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It'll be nice when the next stable comes out and we can give some actual feedback rather than 'the idea is poo poo and you're poo poo for thinking of it'.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

It'll be nice when the next stable comes out and we can give some actual feedback rather than 'the idea is poo poo and you're poo poo for thinking of it'.

That's not actual feedback? :confused:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That's not actual feedback? :confused:

It's not necessarily what I look for during development. It's preferable if players can play a prototype which has most of the things I want in there, and then give suggestions on how to improve it rather than deciding they either love it or hate it based on the idea or a half finished implementation. Neither is very helpful compared to playtesting something like what you might consider releasing, because before that point you probably know that it's a load of shite and needs work doing.

It's feedback, it's just not very good feedback I guess is my point.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 6, 2014

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Im real mad I wasted 20 bucks on an unfinishd game instead of using it on a real game you can play and have fun with

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rrussom posted:

Irate you a nerd.

:whitewater:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

babypolis posted:

Im real mad I wasted 20 bucks on an unfinishd game instead of using it on a real game you can play and have fun with

This but instead of another game, just more :420:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This but instead of another game, just more :420:

That would be nice too

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Instead of arguing with dumb babies, you all should be playing/idling this game right now for those sweet, sweet Steam card drops.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Generally, for games that feature escalating equipment, having the game throw harder enemies at you to offset your better equipment is... sort of the ideal?

I mean, literally every game that has improving equipment does this, the game is supposed to get harder as it goes along, it's also supposed to get more complex in that enemies throw more attacks at you and you have a more varied arsenal to use against them.

That's entirely normal and sensible for any game, from Half Life to Diablo that features you getting better stuff as you go along.

Harder enemies doesn't necessarily mean enemies that are pretty much the same but with better stats. Maybe they plan on changing it later, but so far enemies mostly just seem to be very slight variations on the same thing and there seem to be very few pieces of equipment or enemies that change my playstyle or the way I approach engagements in any meaningful way.

Also, in my opinion it's more fun when games start throwing more enemies at the player than the same number of enemies but with more health.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Wolpertinger posted:

It really is an amazingly adorable puppy.

Do you think it likes bellyrubs?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Do you think it likes bellyrubs?

It's a puppy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roshnak posted:

Harder enemies doesn't necessarily mean enemies that are pretty much the same but with better stats. Maybe they plan on changing it later, but so far enemies mostly just seem to be very slight variations on the same thing and there seem to be very few pieces of equipment or enemies that change my playstyle or the way I approach engagements in any meaningful way.

Also, in my opinion it's more fun when games start throwing more enemies at the player than the same number of enemies but with more health.

I'd agree there, hopefully once a release happens we can start proposing stuff like that properly. Dunno if they're already planning to do it or not, it would seem like an obvious choice, but we'll see at release I guess.

The game would always benefit from more enemy moves, techs, and weapon effects.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I'm installing starbound right now and going to unironically play it so I can see if the awful features I remembered are still there. Preemptive YOU CAN'T CRITICIZE THE NIGHTLY response

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

who are you again

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Prop Wash posted:

I'm installing starbound right now and going to unironically play it so I can see if the awful features I remembered are still there. Preemptive YOU CAN'T CRITICIZE THE NIGHTLY response

Lemme know if they fixed moons, and make sure you test the shipboard locker before any ship upgrades.

Also don't bother making a copper pick, sink your resources into upgrading the MM

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Babe Magnet posted:

who are you again

haha wow show em well known poster babe magnet

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Babe Magnet posted:

who are you again

that's the puppy

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Literally Kermit posted:

Lemme know if they fixed moons, and make sure you test the shipboard locker before any ship upgrades.

Also don't bother making a copper pick, sink your resources into upgrading the MM

Well apparently they made it so that you run at half speed if your mouse cursor is on the opposite side of the screen? Also it takes, in my opinion, slightly too long to mine coal, and it takes about ten seconds (!) to mine gold with the initial MM - I would have upgraded it but I couldn't find copper anywhere and then night fell and a night monster instakilled me. When I respawned all my ores were gone and I quit the game. Guess I'll go back to Candy Crush Saga.

I do kind of like that the MM has its own hotkey now, that's pretty good. Does anyone know if you can still only use one tech at a time?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Literally Kermit posted:

Do asteroids still have terrestrial creatures spawning and promptly falling to their deaths?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Jackard posted:

Do asteroids still have terrestrial creatures spawning and promptly falling to their deaths?

They need to keep this because it's hilarious.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

JohnnyCanuck posted:

[halfway across the world Tiy hears this and snaps a pencil in his grip]

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

botany posted:

haha wow show em well known poster babe magnet

how about you look at my post again, and then look at the post right above mine, and then look to the left a little bit at the bright pink text

it's okay, take your time lol

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jackard posted:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Look, the game SPAWNED me there :argh:. It's not my fault stable considered "Instant death border" a viable place to teleport me.

If that were Nightly, I'd have also lost all my ores forever with no way to recover them instead of just most of what little pixels I had :downs:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Did they ever fix (in stable) people getting teleported 6 miles underground instead of on the planet's surface? That owned.

^^^ Actually in nightly you wouldn't have lost anything due to that, because they fixed "teleport player into death zone" in the nightly.

Now, if you walked off the edge and died, yeah, all your poo poo's gone. ^^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

can we talk about how this post is still fundamentally true about the game

Broand posted:

One of the cool things Terraria did with ores was that you had no idea what you could do with them until you got back to your base and checked the recipes of things you could make. Early game was more along the lines of "Oh hey some copper, that'll come in handy" rather than "Okay I need X amount of copper in order to progress". Eventually you find stranger materials, like meteorite, demonite and other stuff and each time you find them you're mining with the thought that "I bet I can make some really cool poo poo with this" because it was an uncommon material with a cool premise.

Starbound is more straightforward. You mine materials to make gear better and build more weapons, but there's very little variation outside of standard upgrades. Starbound has loads of cool potential materials, like Direstone, Tar, Bones, Sand, Mud, Slime, Dungeon building blocks etc but you can't make anything cool out of them. You can make some furniture out of them but there's so little else you can do with them. Where Starbound can really outshine Terraria is the fact that you know that there's not going to be all the content on one planet, which drives you to explore. But if all you get is a slightly different flavour of the same thing then there's not much point in exploring at all.

• Locked thread