Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So...the Song Demon. Uh a bit too easy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
From has always put the easy boss at the end of the hard level.

It's a cool frog and I'm glad it doesn't kill me because trudging around in waist deep water shooting arrows at wizards doesn't make for much fun.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 6, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Nahxela posted:

It's a shame we can't get any of their weapons' special moves. They all look rad.

You can get the Ice spell with the R2 on the Ice Rapier, it comes out fast as gently caress too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ciaphas posted:

Time to start playing this again, I think. Never made it past Mirror Knight at launch time, and never seen any of the DLC.

Is all the DLC post-game or should I have it ready in advance or something?

He never did shrine of Amana :)

Although personally I never thought it was bad as everybody said, how hard is it to roll under magic missiles?

Yeah I'd beat the game before you do DLC but do it before you go all NG+ mode. On NG+ you can do it as soon as you get to it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Zaphod42 posted:

Although personally I never thought it was bad as everybody said, how hard is it to roll under magic missiles?
Not hard at all. Depends on your AGL of course, but rolling against them minimizes the time you touch them and thus the amount of invincibility frames you need.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Helical Nightmares posted:

So...the Song Demon. Uh a bit too easy?

It's a giant slow-ish enemy, it was practically designed to be poo poo on by the player.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was terrified by the demon of song first time I fought it and refused to go against it without buddies. Now it's like yaaaawn.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

There's a surprise for you in NG+2!

e: VVVVV new combo attacks, a 4 and a 5-hit sequence iirc

e2: maybe it's NG+, thought it was beyond that.

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 6, 2014

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Gaggins posted:

There's a surprise for you in NG+2!

I have not noticed anything special about this fight on NG++. What's up with the Demon of Song on NG++?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bonfire intensity three? Oh boy that's what's coming up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think anything changes in NG+2 compared to NG+? I don't remember that being the case, anyway.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

He never did shrine of Amana :)

Yeah I'd beat the game before you do DLC but do it before you go all NG+ mode. On NG+ you can do it as soon as you get to it.

It's easy enough when you're just walKing up to one mage lady, or even when there's two shooting at you. But if you throw some of the lizard guys or the mace guys at you while trying to dodge the magic then it gets fun. So as long as you take it slow and in pieces it's not bad, cause that's really how it's set up I think.

Edit: giving yourself a ranged weapon really helps a lot, but that applies to like every part of this game.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
The pack of 4 Archdrake priests gave me enough grief on NG+1. Water doesn't seem to slow those guys down. Going to have to reinforce a Greatbow for the next time I come around.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't hate 5-2 or the Shrine of Amana but I really don't look forward to them. Enemies moving at full tilt while you can't is bad. Your roll being boned is awful. The addition of either damage over time or laser sentries makes it a permanent chore. Plus they're both so loving long. Even if you ignore the loot it takes forever to get through it.

I like the singing though. Much better than dim lights and mosquitoes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's easy enough when you're just walKing up to one mage lady, or even when there's two shooting at you. But if you throw some of the lizard guys or the mace guys at you while trying to dodge the magic then it gets fun. So as long as you take it slow and in pieces it's not bad, cause that's really how it's set up I think.

Edit: giving yourself a ranged weapon really helps a lot, but that applies to like every part of this game.

One thing that probably pissed people off at launch (I remember SO much bitching about Amana, didn't they nerf it some?) was the death falls. But if you carry a torch, it makes it really super easy to see where you can and can't walk. Which was the point.

But since nothing jumped out and told you "hey use a torch so you don't fall in the water dummy" like most of Dark Souls, a lot of people missed that.

The torch allows a lot of subtle interaction with the game world. I get the feeling it was a lot more necessary in beta, and then they cut it so that ranged players or people who wanted to use shields wouldn't be screwed out of being able to see, but then it kinda made the game confusing because you use torches in the things betwixt tutorial and then it seems like you never really "need" torches for the rest of the game. And who wants to give up a shield if they don't have to?

And I think bloodborne being its own name and not a "souls 3" game has to do with them wanting to explore that direction more.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They nerfed the homing of the priest's magic attacks, but that was before the PC version was released I think. People don't use torches because it attracts the mutants. It's a trade off, but one that only matters in like one place. If you're not going for Sunlight Blade you haven't really got a reason to even take out a torch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

They nerfed the homing of the priest's magic attacks, but that was before the PC version was released I think.

Ah, that's right. I started on console and moved to PC, so they probably did the patch between.

I never really found the attacks too hard to roll under personally. :shrug:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
They didn't nerf the falls, they made the lasers not track loving perfectly. I think they toned down the enemies a bit otherwise too.

Using a torch is a nightmare in Amana because then you can't use a shield nor can you roll without it going out. I don't see that making things better.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I was hoping the thread title would change soon but it always comes back to Amana.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks, Amana. :smithfrog:

Maybe my brightness is up too high but I never had a problem falling off the edge even on my first run through. At least when I had time to pay attention.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

They didn't nerf the falls, they made the lasers not track loving perfectly. I think they toned down the enemies a bit otherwise too.

Using a torch is a nightmare in Amana because then you can't use a shield nor can you roll without it going out. I don't see that making things better.

I didn't mean to imply they nerfed the falls. Those were two separate thoughts; A) didn't they nerf something? B) Also the falls probably bothered some people. See the parenthesis? That was a separate thought.

I just did Amana last night and the torch super saved my rear end.

What you do is you walk very safely on the areas that are in the middle / rocky / clearly safe in order to roll and kill the wizards. Then you go back and grab a torch and you know where you're allowed to explore to find extra items. Then you push forward with the torch, so you can get an idea of what's safe, but as soon as you run into new enemies you make a mental note of where the death falls are and then you roll and allow your torch to go out. Then when they're dead you get another torch again and go loot items, without falling to your death.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 6, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Anyone tested Soul Appease on the Burnt Loyce Knights in the Old Chaos?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I started a new run and three things leapt out at me after hours in a SL500 guy. First of all, low agility isnt literally Hitler but you have to get better at dodging and wide sweeps will hit the back of your head. Second, upgraded armor even at SL15 will make you tank a shitton of damage. Third, non-100% shields are not bad at all. I was using a 90% one and I was barely getting damaged. The foot soldier sword is great but so fragile too.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I cannot believe how quick the cops respond. Kill Pate and the arbiter is on me before I reach the Tseldora stash, accidentally chop up the last milfanito and they greet me in Undead Crypt. Does anyone Bloodbro anymore?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Senethro posted:

I cannot believe how quick the cops respond. Kill Pate and the arbiter is on me before I reach the Tseldora stash, accidentally chop up the last milfanito and they greet me in Undead Crypt. Does anyone Bloodbro anymore?

I don't really know how you get sin or get an arbiter on you but I've been using a bunch of crushed red eye orbs lately and have killed like uh a dozen or so people successfully as a blood covenant guy and I've only run into like two blue arbiter spirits. On two separate days, too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Azran posted:

I started a new run and three things leapt out at me after hours in a SL500 guy. First of all, low agility isnt literally Hitler but you have to get better at dodging and wide sweeps will hit the back of your head. Second, upgraded armor even at SL15 will make you tank a shitton of damage. Third, non-100% shields are not bad at all. I was using a 90% one and I was barely getting damaged. The foot soldier sword is great but so fragile too.

Yeah man but puttin on that hunnerd percent shield feels soooooo gooooood

Just kickin back behind my shield

Oh you thought you killed me but I've got a sliver of life left, I mean my shield and I do, oh have you met my shield yet? Because here she is, ya chump

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

By the way, the Frozen Outskirts are objectively the best place in the game to invade. You have difficult, respawning enemies, the blizzards make navigation and coordination with another phantom a nightmare, and now you have a ring that suppresses your red aura, making it even harder to see you. A friend of mine and I kept getting invaded there and I don't mind telling you that we got shellacked every single time. Most of the time, the host has the advantage in an invasion, but not here. Oh boy, not here.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yeah man but puttin on that hunnerd percent shield feels soooooo gooooood

Just kickin back behind my shield

Oh you thought you killed me but I've got a sliver of life left, I mean my shield and I do, oh have you met my shield yet? Because here she is, ya chump

Shields are great fun for pve but people are really good at owning your rear end in pvp if you sit behind one there. Though I guess that just means I should get better at baiting attempts to riposte me. Or whatever it's called when they knock away your shield, run in and murderize you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Time_pants posted:

By the way, the Frozen Outskirts are objectively the best place in the game to invade. You have difficult, respawning enemies, the blizzards make navigation and coordination with another phantom a nightmare, and now you have a ring that suppresses your red aura, making it even harder to see you. A friend of mine and I kept getting invaded there and I don't mind telling you that we got shellacked every single time. Most of the time, the host has the advantage in an invasion, but not here. Oh boy, not here.

Get invaded. Go to second ruin. Sit in healing pool. Wait.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Invading the Frigid Outskirts is legitimately fun though. I, having spent seven hours straight trying to beat that zone, realize that players have enough hardships as it is, so I don't kill the host. In fact, I even use tokens of fidelity to heal them. I do harass them like hell though until they make it to the bridge, where I always leap to my death. It's fun to be able to play as DarkSouls!SniperWolf and engage in jolly ranged attacks with them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SHISHKABOB posted:

Shields are great fun for pve but people are really good at owning your rear end in pvp if you sit behind one there. Though I guess that just means I should get better at baiting attempts to riposte me. Or whatever it's called when they knock away your shield, run in and murderize you.

For PVP shields aren't bad if you're waking backwards. If you walk forward with your shield up you're asking for it. But yeah because weapon infusions are so common and 100% vs nonphysical shields are so rare you can't turtle on a sliver there.

I call that shield knock away thing a guard break.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's because it's called a guard break.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I always laugh when someone does a "guard break" on me, because my guy looks so silly. He's all "WHOAOOAOAHAOHAH MAAAAAN" and then they run up and do a crazy murder animation on me and I'm dead.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's not my job to remember how I know things Manatee Cannon!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Inspector_666 posted:

I would have a bigger problem with the Fume transformation if it didn't actually make him slower on the attacks.
Doesn't that make him harder, not easier?

I always have trouble learning how to dodge boss combos where you have to delay the next roll, and doubly so when the boss was fume knight who has attack combos that start the same but have multiple possible endings requiring you to pay attention before every swing and then get the timing right. I find it's very easy to make a mistake, whereas something like a ruin sentinel combo you learn very quickly because it's always the same combo with the same timing.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
So the new sorcery Soul Flash is pretty decent I guess. It's like a Wrath of the Gods with less damage but more castings and a knockdown effect. Most people haven't learned its dodge timing yet so at least now it seems pretty good for finishing people standing up from backstabs and ripostes. If you like spamming spells a lot it's probably great for knocking people going for roll backstabs on their asses. Biggest issue is that the AoE seems a lot smaller than that of WoG.

Wrt things changing at NG+2, don't the red phantom enemies in the new DLC only spawn at NG+2 or something? I've seen them in other of peoples worlds when invading them but none of my NG+ charecters have them in theirs.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tallgeese why don't do you more things like this?

Or is that not subtle enough?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Right up to the end there I wasn't sure it was a photoshopped animation. :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I do.

My hands cast a different damage type with each attack. I only pull it out against someone else using fists or against a boss, though.

My R1s do lightning, my R2s do darkness, my L1s do fire, my L2 does magic.

Rolling attack is a fire uppercut that looks just like a Ken super, my running dropkick fires lasers to look like Guile's Flash Kick, and just to make you happy I'll make my plunge attack do something.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I pulled the lever :smith: Oh well. There is always NG+