Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Kavak posted:

What makes boots wear backpacks? In all my time at college I have never once felt the urge to wear my backpack unless I was taking my laptop and books to class.

I thought I saw a group of boots without a designated backpack wearer. I almost pointed out the anomaly to my wife, then the backpack holder came around the corner. Business as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

vulturesrow posted:

some intel weenies.

Doughnuts. Not Doritos.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vengarr posted:

Every day, like clockwork, 10 or so ROTC guys would come into the student center and make for the Wendy's. Then they'd all stand at attention while in line like they were headed for a firing squad or something. Close enough to whisper sweet nothings into the ear of the guy in front of them. Once they had their food, they would march out.

I've always wondered if this was normal or whether our college ROTC was (especially) retarded. They had a really bad rep.

Wow. And I thought our ROTC was retarded. We never did anything like that bullshit.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Kavak posted:

What makes boots wear backpacks? In all my time at college I have never once felt the urge to wear my backpack unless I was taking my laptop and books to class.

Vengarr posted:

Every day, like clockwork, 10 or so ROTC guys would come into the student center and make for the Wendy's. Then they'd all stand at attention while in line like they were headed for a firing squad or something. Close enough to whisper sweet nothings into the ear of the guy in front of them. Once they had their food, they would march out.

I've always wondered if this was normal or whether our college ROTC was (especially) retarded. They had a really bad rep.

Your college's ROTC was apparently the short-bus of ROTC.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

iyaayas01 posted:

ROTC is apparently the short-bus.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ROTC is absolutely the short bus

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are there any rotc officers who didnt grow up to be a big pile of lame officers

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

My old ,crusty, platoon sergeant went on to be a master sergeant yelling at ROTC kids for a while. I wish I could have seen it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Backpacks are really just extremely convienient and I started wearing mine because I found messenger bags to be too awkward and hipster-looking.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Justin Godscock posted:

Backpacks are really just extremely convienient and I started wearing mine because I found messenger bags to be too awkward and hipster-looking.

look at this loving dork

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

look at this loving dork

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Justin Godscock posted:

This is why I wear a fanny pack and phone holster wherever I go. Also I am a human penis

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Screw hipsters, I've had my Timbuk2 messenger bag for 10 years. Indestructible and it doesn't scream "I'm a tool" like wearing an assault pack usually does.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
I just put poo poo in my pockets.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

DoktorLoken posted:

Screw hipsters, I've had my Timbuk2 messenger bag for 10 years. Indestructible and it doesn't scream "I'm a tool" like wearing an assault pack usually does.

you're right. it screams "i'm a tool" like a guy wearing a loving messenger bag does

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 31, 2017

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what are you carrying around all the time where pockets aren't good enough

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
one (1) ouya

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wallet keys phone smokes lighter. No bag required.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

what are you carrying around all the time where pockets aren't good enough

School stuff, laptop. Travel. I don't carry a bag unless I'm doing one of the former. Think of all the other vets at school wearing assault packs and military themed MMA shirts as the alternative.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I carry a notebook, a folder, and some pens and pencils. I'm in 400 level computer science classes. I just do all my work at home. gently caress carrying around a laptop or a backpack. If we ever need to do calculations we just show how the problem is solved. No need for exact solutions.

HelpImARock3
May 27, 2010

Don't get treed by a Chihuahua
I have a backpack with me a lot, but that's mainly because my Mystery Ranch pack isn't ARMY!!! colored and kicks rear end.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I carry a backpack because it's convenient for carrying books and laptops except it is a very nondescript Targus bag I got at best buy and not some sort of huah gaydar. There are nothing wrong with civilian backpacks in school, it's pretty much expected and accepted. I have a bit of time between classes so it's nice to have my laptop so I can do online homework and whatnot, and having textbooks is convenient for this too.

I did see one person use a no-poo poo assault pack as a bookbag once. Why anyone would willingly use those pieces of poo poo other than to try and look like a hardass (retard) is beyond me. Another hipster dork in the class ahead of mine has some sort of gigantic leather wood-framed Swiss ski trooper rucksack :psyduck:

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 7, 2014

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
what's worse: a vet with an ACU assault pack or a just-out-of-highschool hipster with an alice rucksuck?

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 31, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
saw a dude wearing jungle boots and dog tags the other day. the mark of the boot. real fuckin weird cuz the only poo poo in town is an air force base and a guard armory

at least he had a normal person backpack

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It's me, I'm the dirty boot.

On the rare occasion that I need to carry some poo poo, the only thing I've got is my oakley kitchen sink backpack.

In my defense, the only time I need a backpack is when I got a ton of snacks for staff duty (in which case I don't give a gently caress what some dumb fuckin' soldiers think) or going to the shooting range. It's actually for real good for that, as for some reason it has mag pouches built into the front pocket, and it's just got heaps of space for gats and ammo and other rangey poo poo.

It only cost me 60 bucks odd on special from oakley si, so whatever.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
using an assault pack as a range bag gets a pass from me

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm that guy at college. I couldn't be assed to buy a backpack and have a first gen woodland Molle assault pack. I love that loving thing.
But I dont wear MMA shirts or any of that other boot poo poo.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

a shameful vet

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
all the nubile young college girls think of him as that creepy old army guy he probably killed people ewww

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I carry all my books to class in that bag I got at bootcamp

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I said did. I upgraded to a messenger bag when I started taking my laptop.
I still love that loving backpack. And I think most people thought it was a hipster thing. The only people who carried that type of bag seemed to be hipsters at my old liberal arts college.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

bulletsponge13 posted:

I said did. I upgraded to a messenger bag when I started taking my laptop.
I still love that loving backpack. And I think most people thought it was a hipster thing. The only people who carried that type of bag seemed to be hipsters at my old liberal arts college.

My grandfather was a pilot in Nam and I have one of his old jackets in my closet and the first thought I had when seeing it recently was "this probably goes for like 200 bucks at urban outfitters"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Oglogoth posted:

My grandfather was a pilot in Nam and I have one of his old jackets in my closet and the first thought I had when seeing it recently was "this probably goes for like 200 bucks at urban outfitters"

If it's nylon it goes for around $100. If it's leather, should go for around $200.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If you're going to be a dork and carry a military backpack around school you might as well go for the gold and attach one of these.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
speaking of idiots...stolen valor much?

I pointed out that this is objective bs and got banhammered. :(

https://www.facebook.com/humansofnewyork/photos/a.102107073196735.4429.102099916530784/780791618661607/?type=1&theater

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

ActusRhesus posted:

https://www.facebook.com/humansofnewyork/photos/a.102107073196735.4429.102099916530784/780791618661607/?type=1&theater

Why the gently caress are you posting this in multiple threads. Oh god stupid civilans belive stupid poo poo i must stand up to this and enlighten the masses.You....you are the idiot in this story.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
because I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

ActusRhesus posted:

You brave MySpace warrior :911: