Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hip

Hop

Hip Hop Anonymous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Come on New Zealand, we want a Hiphopopotamus and the Rhymenoceros movie.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
So do we!

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

zenintrude posted:

It's not cool for posters to feature guns pointed at the viewer, but it is cool for posters to feature swords pointed at the viewer.

Got it.

Did you miss the new John Wick poster I posted earlier?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Waffleman_ posted:

I find it funny that the tagline is "The Defining Chapter" when the entire movie is an adaptation of one chapter of the book. A background event from that chapter, no less, because this is Middle Earth and we have to have epic fantasy fights in our adaptation of a literal children's book.

Question for all:

What's a worse idea? Turning the Hobbit into three movies or turning Newt Scamander Fantastic Beasts into three movies?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Hobbit, because rather than just being an idea, it's an actual story stretched out to agonizing length.

Fantastic Beasts at least is just a premise - "what if there was a series of movies about the guy who found all the creatures in a Hogwarts textbook and his adventures in finding them?", which is a basic premise about as simple and effective as Indiana Jones.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CaptainHollywood posted:

Question for all:

What's a worse idea? Turning the Hobbit into three movies or turning Newt Scamander Fantastic Beasts into three movies?

will that second thing you said there have hour-long mind-numbing cgi fight scenes because if not then it can't be worse than the hobbit movies

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What does this internationally revered fifty year old saga really need? More giant wolf chases!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's the same thing that ruined King Kong but by all means go see the Hobbit movies because jobs depend on it.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

Question for all:

This isn't true is it?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Cameo posted:

The Hobbit, because rather than just being an idea, it's an actual story stretched out to agonizing length.

Fantastic Beasts at least is just a premise - "what if there was a series of movies about the guy who found all the creatures in a Hogwarts textbook and his adventures in finding them?", which is a basic premise about as simple and effective as Indiana Jones.

Just wanna empty-quote this because seriously, at least with Fantastic Beasts you can invent poo poo out of whole cloth so there are no dead zones and make a cinematic story, whereas with the Hobbit not only are you adapting a book to screen but you're doing it in the most painstaking way possible turning the plot into taffy you can chew on endlessly but never seems to really go anywhere.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here are the Key Art Awards nominations for print....

http://www.keyartaward.com/winners/2014/print/

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 7, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I have that Pacific Rim poster framed, hell yeah.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That loving X-Men poster? Seriously?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mister Chief posted:

That loving X-Men poster? Seriously?

Well it certainly wins the award for "most improved."

A lot of them are really iffy, though.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

kiimo posted:

Here are the Key Art Awards nominations for print....

http://www.keyartaward.com/winners/2014/print/

Most of those posters are really, really boring

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Fayez Butts posted:

Most of those posters are really, really boring

But man, that kerning.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

which kerning?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Those Star Wars Rebels posters are the first good look I've had at anything from that since I first heard about it and honestly, just judging from those, it somehow manages to look even dumber than what they had going on before the Star Wars slate got wiped clean of decades' worth of expanded universe buildup. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the only reason Disney did that in the first place was to have a completely clean surface on which to splatter their own brand of officially-sanctioned fan fiction that's really no different from the old except that it has the Disney stamp of approval on its forehead from birth.

On the other hand, the featured Dominion posters are honestly pretty funny.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Doctor Bishop posted:

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the only reason Disney did that in the first place was to have a completely clean surface on which to splatter their own brand of officially-sanctioned fan fiction that's really no different from the old except that it has the Disney stamp of approval on its forehead from birth.

Yeah, it's called Episode VII. :v:

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Ahaha three of the four protagonists in that Star Wars collection have Dreamworks face.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

zenintrude posted:

Because I know how much you guys like this stuff...

Look at Bryan Cranston's loving face.

That's his "I can't believe I starred in that piece of poo poo Godzilla" face.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is getting killed in the first act "starring" now?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"And" always means death.

And Godzilla owns.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Fayez Butts posted:

which kerning?

None of it, I was being sarcastic. "Here, have an award for boring designs with non-eye-searing font choices, clearly this is what is best in poster design."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

"And" always means death.

And Godzilla owns.

It wasn't as good as the original, but then again what is?

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I watched the Star Wars Rebels thing with my 8 year old son this weekend. Its kind of strange because the main character is Aladin. Not even like Aladin. He's Aladin. I Guess it makes a lot of sense in a board room discussion sort of way, but I had a knee jerk reaction to it. It was really strange seeing another franchise crammed into Star Wars.

My son loving loved it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So edgy man - your post cuts like a knife!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

zenintrude posted:

It's not cool for posters to feature guns pointed at the viewer, but it is cool for posters to feature swords pointed at the viewer.

Got it.

Also crossbows:

Although I think that poster might have been for the international market.

I've only seen a handful of Indian films but I'm pretty sure I recognise almost every character stereotype they've got lined up there.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Which one's Gurren

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Gandalf this time

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

You can't sleep here! Push off!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

oddium posted:

Which one's Gurren

Thank you for making this dumb joke so I didn't have to

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

oddium posted:

Which one's Gurren

please lagaff

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Dick Trauma posted:

You can't sleep here! Push off!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So simple, so brilliant.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vintersorg posted:

So edgy man - your post cuts like a knife!

The truth is a wicked blade.

Also it's not 1996 and you're not in high-school, stop using the word edgy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Now this is a movie I'd pay to see. Sir Ian stumbling around piss-rear end drunk, shouting at pedestrians outside of liquor stores. Sort of like a grimy version of Peter O'Toole in "My Favorite Year."

Man is this thing a mess...

A better tagline for this would be ROBERT REDFORD IS ON THIS POSTER FIVE TIMES!!!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Now this is a movie I'd pay to see. Sir Ian stumbling around piss-rear end drunk, shouting at pedestrians outside of liquor stores. Sort of like a grimy version of Peter O'Toole in "My Favorite Year."

Or a classed-up Hobo With A Shotgun.