Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

We have a cosplay thread? Holy poo poo, I had no idea. I'm putting together Priscilla from Dark Souls 1, though I'm in the 'buying all the materials' stage at the moment. Or rather, I'm making the scythe & tail (with the end cut off) and I'm having another of my friends make the actual dress.

I took a rough measurement and her scythe is actually taller than her, so I expect to make it about 6.5 to 7 feet tall (I'm 6 feet myself). I'm thinking that I will break it down into three pieces made up of the head and then the shaft split in two and have it screw together.

I want to carve the head of the scythe out of EVA foam for a base and then cover it in worbla or wonderflex. For the body, I was looking at grabbing a thick wooden pole of appropriate length, cutting it in half and inserting the screws in the middle and one at the top to affix the blade. To get the roughshod appearance, I was thinking of covering it in a layer of expanding foam and carving it away to get the desired shape. I would do this with all of the pieces screwed together so that I am sure it would fit again without issue.

Are there any issues with my plan for the weapon, or am I on the right track?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

Honestly, the orange tip rules are a bit of a dinosaur. Police officers nowadays rarely pause at the sight of an orange tip (and sometimes even brightly painted but otherwise realistic guns) due to constant lessons on criminals painting their guns to look fake or (more commonly) painting airsoft and BB guns to look real as a bluff.
[...] And I'm sad to say, it's worse if you're black.

My husband got stopped by a Georgia police officer and had to prove that his orange tipped, peace bonded air soft gun was fake. During DragonCon. He couldn't have shot anyone with that thing if he wanted.

Also my husband is Hispanic, so probably the cop had the whole "obviously dangerous minority" thing going.

EDIT:

ScottyWired posted:

The shaft of my staff (heh) will be made of two pvc pipes. I've got two corks with those hoop-screw thingos stuck in them, and they'll be connected with some stretchy cord. Pretty simple way to make it collapsible.

Holy poo poo, how does this work? Do you have a diagram? I'm super interested in this idea.

Bean fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 6, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Like a tent pole, I assume. Elastic cord through the center of the staff, connected to a cork on either end, which helps pull the two ends together. When you want to collapse it, you can stretch the elastic to pull it apart, then fold it in half.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
^Right on

I'm also using one of these (with added wingnut) so it doesn't slip

ScottyWired fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 6, 2014

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Bean posted:

Hey, since we're talking about it, I was thinking about making a costume with an (obviously fake foam) spear for next year's DragonCon. What will they do about that? Can I have that? I emailed security to ask and they acted like they had no idea what I was even talking about.

It has been a few years since I was at Dragon*Con, but they were probably confused because I don't think they give the slightest poo poo about anything besides firearms.

Remember, there are 300 cosplayers who show up at D*C basically every year and I have never heard them having issues (note, link is to dudes in leather diapers menacing con-goers with spears).

There are also always a bunch of Urak-hai/LotR people, to say nothing of Pirates and assorted anime people with katanas. I mean, you can buy metal weapons in the dealers room, and while they usually request you peace-tie them it's not like you can peace-tie an axe or a spear in a meaningful way.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tsurupettan posted:

We have a cosplay thread? Holy poo poo, I had no idea. I'm putting together Priscilla from Dark Souls 1, though I'm in the 'buying all the materials' stage at the moment. Or rather, I'm making the scythe & tail (with the end cut off) and I'm having another of my friends make the actual dress.

I took a rough measurement and her scythe is actually taller than her, so I expect to make it about 6.5 to 7 feet tall (I'm 6 feet myself). I'm thinking that I will break it down into three pieces made up of the head and then the shaft split in two and have it screw together.

I want to carve the head of the scythe out of EVA foam for a base and then cover it in worbla or wonderflex. For the body, I was looking at grabbing a thick wooden pole of appropriate length, cutting it in half and inserting the screws in the middle and one at the top to affix the blade. To get the roughshod appearance, I was thinking of covering it in a layer of expanding foam and carving it away to get the desired shape. I would do this with all of the pieces screwed together so that I am sure it would fit again without issue.

Are there any issues with my plan for the weapon, or am I on the right track?

Yay! More Dark Souls cosplay.

I am WAY behind on Ciaran, with virtually no progress to display or speak of. I blame life. I should work on it more.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

Yay! More Dark Souls cosplay.

I am WAY behind on Ciaran, with virtually no progress to display or speak of. I blame life. I should work on it more.

Oh cool, I just went back and checked your post history in the thread a bit. Yay Dark Souls cosplay, of which I see none of at conventions. Although I imagine you have plenty of references by now, I can give you the model viewer I used for Priscilla if you want to inspect Ciaran up close without in-game lighting or other effects.

e: I have so many costumes I want to do, I just picked this hobby up earlier this year after finally being mostly satisfied with my body. I had interest before, but I used to be 285 pounds and didn't want to even try. Now that I've lost over 90 I've started getting into it. I plan on doing Maiden in Black once I take the little bit of remaining fat off of my waist and tighten things up a bit more.

90% of what I want to do is like, Dark Souls, DotA, and Fire Emblem. With a few outliers from other things.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 6, 2014

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tsurupettan posted:

Oh cool, I just went back and checked your post history in the thread a bit. Yay Dark Souls cosplay, of which I see none of at conventions. Although I imagine you have plenty of references by now, I can give you the model viewer I used for Priscilla if you want to inspect Ciaran up close without in-game lighting or other effects.

Would love to have that -- I've been working off screenshots. Handy, with the freecam and Cheat Engine, but a pain in the rear end.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

Would love to have that -- I've been working off screenshots. Handy, with the freecam and Cheat Engine, but a pain in the rear end.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38150185/DSMODT/DSMODT%20v0.2a.zip

Here you go. This is from some dude making a tool to mod DaS1, but he released a viewer publicly. Camera controls are in the upper right, selection for zone/character/etc. are on the right, and there are some options on the left. Camera is a bit sluggish but it works.

I learned a LOT of interesting things about Priscilla's dress that are not apparent at all unless to view the model up close.

By the way, it asks you to autoupdate. Don't bother, it does that every time. There is no update so click cancel.

e: If you have questions about the program let me know. Also you need the actual game installed, which I am guessing you do. :)

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 6, 2014

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

Speleothing posted:

Okay, it seems like the better funnier GBS may not have a Halloween thread this year.

How should I go about lazily making an astronaut costume?

I'm also doing a retro-esque astronaut, as I wasn't able to get Viktor done in time for the Edmonton Expo. :( Still working on it, but I already know I'll need to repaint stuff. Next year!

I've got a 14" acrylic globe on order, which is what I used for my DeadMau5 helmet. I'm looking at this RPF thread for inspiration. I found a silver "astronaut" outfit at the local Value Village.

Alternate awesome retro-build from 1962: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=117109

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Been painting my star lord gun barrels in a frantic hurry to get at least one gun done in time for NYCC. I think I got a pretty good effect with the burning on the end of the barrel, but I may have lost my mind and overdone the weathering a bit too much. I could maybe try airbrushing the black back on, but it seems like more throuble than it's worth given that his equipment seemed fairly hard-wearing in the movie anyway.

I also bought this wig from Arda, since I am folically-challenged. It works, but it was a bit too long and a bit too out of control. Fortunately, one of my good friends is a hair stylist who doesn't mind helping me with my ridiculous bullshit. We tamed the wig pretty well sans hair products, which I think will get it the rest of the way!

Later today I should be painting the handle parts of one of the blasters with the airbrush, once I get a few test pieces done to see what sort of paint and primer I can get to stick straight onto the nerf gun base.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

What do you guys think? I'm debating wet-sanding the black mostly off and recoating it to try the weathering again, since I overdid it. I tried knocking the weathering back with a bit of black spray but I'm not convinced it helped. I can't tell if I'm being too much of a sperg.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Funky Bunch Wikia posted:

What do you guys think? I'm debating wet-sanding the black mostly off and recoating it to try the weathering again, since I overdid it. I tried knocking the weathering back with a bit of black spray but I'm not convinced it helped. I can't tell if I'm being too much of a sperg.

I say get the rest of your projects done first and then maybe come back to it later. It looks good as is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So appart from Funky Bunch Wikia and me, is anyone else ITT doing NYCC this year? I'm putting together a list of Internet People to meet up with.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Oh look it's an obscure System Shock 2 reference in a 95% complete state!

I must feel about this the way my dad feels about me. This thing is all kinds of messed up but I love it anyway.

I'm going to have to start working on some star trek tools now if I have hope of getting them done for Halloween. I think I have a better grasp of this though.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tsurupettan posted:

e: If you have questions about the program let me know. Also you need the actual game installed, which I am guessing you do. :)

Thank you so much! I'll play around with it soon. :3:

Edit: Sadly, I do not see the Ciaran character model listed...everyone else is there, but I can't find her.

Edit Edit: Twitter came through. The tool's creator says: "Ciaran isn't viewable at the moment. Because Ciaran is made up of "parts" (much like the player), which isn't supported yet."

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 8, 2014

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Funky Bunch Wikia posted:

I agree with Funhilde, it looks fine and realistically nobody's going to get close enough to scrutinize the tiniest details of your work except for you.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

TunaSpleen posted:

I agree with Funhilde, it looks fine and realistically nobody's going to get close enough to scrutinize the tiniest details of your work except for you.

I'm a terrible sperg and I want my stuff to hold up under scrutiny. :V

Hard to photograph, but it's 1 AM, so I'll do it properly tomorrow. Steel wool helped me take off the previous black coat entirely, and I took the lazy route and rattlecan'd some black back ontop. A bit of 600 grit sandpaper to rough some spots up, and then some wet sanding with a higher grit to smooth the finish out, and I'm happy with where they are now.

Tomorrow's gotta see me getting a lot of work done if I'm going to have any hope at all of even half-assing my Star Lord for NYCC.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I feel that I may have made a mistake making authentic chainmail, i'll post progress pictures once i've put the chain and leather together, but this poo poo is heavy as hell.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

McPantserton posted:

On the flip side, I have never been to a con that didn't hassle me about my spear for Hilde. It's made out of wood so maybe that's the difference but I really wish I'd built it to break down or with a soft blade or something because I get so much poo poo for carrying it around. I got stopped like 5 times on the way to Anime Central's masquerade.

Are a lot of other cons adopting Anime Central's retarded weapon stance? I've encountered many people who don't even bother bringing props there since they're so lovely about it, which sucked while judging. "Yeah, I made this cool gun but didn't want to bring it." "Their tape ripped the paint off. It was made of foam."

Then again, I've run into a lot of, "It's not like I'm going to threaten someone with it!" :pulls out a sharp balisong or a .22: It's like reading the TSA blog of poo poo they find. When you've got a bunch of untrained volunteers who have a good chance of running into an actual weapon, their paranoia makes sense. Cons like D*C are way more used to handling this poo poo, so they can relax more.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Am I going to have a problem with Priscilla's scythe? I plan on bringing her to Dragoncon and Katsucon in 2015. The horror stories are admittedly one of the reasons I wanted to shy away from cosplay with props (also sweaty hands from carrying it over the course of a long convention). I posted the materials for the scythe above, it seems like one of those absurd-and-impractical things to me unlike a sword or a spear or a gun.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
So I have been off doing the non costume stuff but after Halloween which is just going to be my husband and I as Jacket and the art I found of what I will assume is femm Jacket from Hotline Miami I will be back to finishing Lina and Hilda for PAX South, Lapras can't go because we are flying but then I am picking back up on Lapras for Akon. I may make a Lapras Kigurumi because I wanna wear Lapras so bad. I may have to let McPantserton borrow it if it looks nice though.

Everyone is making such awesome stuff for Halloween and all the fall cons I feel kinda lame. But once I finish painting my Hotline mask I will post pics of it.

Edit for some content:

What I do for most of my weapons is make them from foam or mat-board My Stocking swords are mat-board and bondo essentially they are really durable and light weight too.

They don't light up but I still think they are pretty sweet.

If you are making a spear/halberd/etc You can use foam or mat-board for the top install a pvc screw piece in it and modify a paint pole or broom stick for it. Then it breaks down and is con friendly. But some cons are just butts about safety like Akon and my Sylvanas Bow. Yes the bow not the arrows they bitch about that thing all the time like I can really swing it around and maul people with my baby (it's actually pretty delicate). Picture below is purely for reference of how massive that bow is. I do need to get some not crap pics of this costume though.

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 8, 2014

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tsurupettan posted:

Am I going to have a problem with Priscilla's scythe? I plan on bringing her to Dragoncon and Katsucon in 2015. The horror stories are admittedly one of the reasons I wanted to shy away from cosplay with props (also sweaty hands from carrying it over the course of a long convention). I posted the materials for the scythe above, it seems like one of those absurd-and-impractical things to me unlike a sword or a spear or a gun.

You shouldn't have an issue at Dragon*Con. The biggest risk you'll face there is that I'll find you, and proceed to fangirl you to death.

Terec
Dec 14, 2001
Cybernetic Crumb

TwystNeko posted:

I'm also doing a retro-esque astronaut, as I wasn't able to get Viktor done in time for the Edmonton Expo. :( Still working on it, but I already know I'll need to repaint stuff. Next year!

I've got a 14" acrylic globe on order, which is what I used for my DeadMau5 helmet. I'm looking at this RPF thread for inspiration. I found a silver "astronaut" outfit at the local Value Village.

Alternate awesome retro-build from 1962: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=117109

That same rpf thread got me wanting to try it and i got friends to do a retro space theme. This was us at DragonCon. Im on the left.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Any tips or general knowledge on airbrushing on spandex/lycra? I have an airbrush kit, and the lady at my local art supply store recommended high-flow acrylic, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience in terms of prepping and sealing it after.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Toriori posted:

Any tips or general knowledge on airbrushing on spandex/lycra? I have an airbrush kit, and the lady at my local art supply store recommended high-flow acrylic, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience in terms of prepping and sealing it after.

I don't know much about airbrushing but have painted lycra before. My main advice would be to have it stretched out to the shape it is going to be to really get all the spots you want painted.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Yeah I'll just put a sack of potatoes in there, pretty similar to my body. Half kidding. I'm excited because I'm going as The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3, and my esthetician/hairdresser sister got super excited when I asked her to contour my face and told me I had the perfect face shape/structure, so hopefully at least the face and hair will look pretty spot on!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Are a lot of other cons adopting Anime Central's retarded weapon stance? I've encountered many people who don't even bother bringing props there since they're so lovely about it, which sucked while judging. "Yeah, I made this cool gun but didn't want to bring it." "Their tape ripped the paint off. It was made of foam."

Then again, I've run into a lot of, "It's not like I'm going to threaten someone with it!" :pulls out a sharp balisong or a .22: It's like reading the TSA blog of poo poo they find. When you've got a bunch of untrained volunteers who have a good chance of running into an actual weapon, their paranoia makes sense. Cons like D*C are way more used to handling this poo poo, so they can relax more.

I had trouble mostly at Acen but GenCon was actually pretty strict, too. I feel like staff at smaller cons feel more comfortable talking to cosplayers and making decisions, once they've seen that I'm like 28 years old and not particularly inclined to stab anybody I usually get the OK.

LadyRavenWaves posted:

So I have been off doing the non costume stuff but after Halloween which is just going to be my husband and I as Jacket and the art I found of what I will assume is femm Jacket from Hotline Miami I will be back to finishing Lina and Hilda for PAX South, Lapras can't go because we are flying but then I am picking back up on Lapras for Akon. I may make a Lapras Kigurumi because I wanna wear Lapras so bad. I may have to let McPantserton borrow it if it looks nice though.

Yyyyyeeeeesssss! :D

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Ordered some fur swatches for Priscilla, which came today.

http://www.fabricempire.com/mongolian-faux-fur-gray.aspx
http://www.fabricempire.com/mongolian-faux-fur-white-fabric.aspx

Came from here. I think I am happy with these colors and the consistency and length of the pile. I chose a 3" pile because of the fiber length on her concept art.

For the neck I am going to buy like 10 of these 3-packs: http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h20c5503cl and use the bleached to make that kinda bone stuff around her neck.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

Terec posted:

That same rpf thread got me wanting to try it and i got friends to do a retro space theme. This was us at DragonCon. Im on the left.

drat, nice work. that robot is pretty sweet.

Sadly, I can't seem to get cardboard tubes at 11" in Canada, so I'm falling back to my usual material - craft foam.

Here's the suit I found - I've removed the badges at this point.

I figure with some black fabric layered on down the middle, and a belt, it'll be pretty great. The helmet is coming along, and I repainted/modded a Nintendo Zapper for a raygun - it now has a laser pointer inside, and is chargable via USB. :v:

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I'm gonna be doing sexy Dr. Robotnik for Halloween, and saw this person's amazing 'stache earlier in the thread, and I was wondering where to buy the materials for this. I was thinking of getting a long wig and cutting off excess to make it into a mustache, but thought that would be too droopy. Any ideas?

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I had to give the body of the Star Lord blaster a rush paintjob in order to get things done for tomorrow. Not really satisfied with it... and the paint, despite my best efforts, seems to inhibit the opening action of the gun. It'll open manually if you touch it, but the stock springs aren't strong enough on their own to do the job otherwise. Honestly a bit of a bummer. I'm considering redoing these blasters from scratch, rather than using the nerf ones as a base. I feel like I'd get better results if they were designed specifically for what I was trying to do.

Nevertheless, here's a selection of what's coming along tomorrow!

I'll take better photos of everything tomorrow morning before heading out. Looking forward to NYCC!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Is there not a halloween thread this year? I made a new costume this year

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
A couple of Halloween threads were started in the new and improved GBS, but you know how much of a poo poo show that is now.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Deadite posted:

Is there not a halloween thread this year? I made a new costume this year

This is great.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Do I need a specific kind of brush for fake fur (like there's wig combs), or can I just use a paddle hair brush with plastic bristles? I want to comb all of the fur on Priscilla's dress in one direction to give it a more even coat once the dress is done.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
What you want is a wire slicker brush (one of those pet grooming brushes with the rectangular pad of little metal bristles).

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Getting ready for BlizzCon! Is anyone else here going?

I was done with the dress a few weeks ago, but need to finalize a few things (new necklace, change bracers, underwear problems, another small pouch). Tried on my everyday boots with it, and decided they looked better than the shoes I had made for the costume, but that I needed a prop. So yesterday I sprayed some foam on a stick. We'll see how it turns out.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Does it really look like that in the game? I thought there was...more to the skirt.

It's looking great, though! Good luck with the scythe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

my cat is norris posted:

Does it really look like that in the game? I thought there was...more to the skirt.

It's looking great, though! Good luck with the scythe!

No, I had to alter it. The goal was to use only material I had on hand, and I ran out of fabric. The only thing I bought were the chains for the skirt (and foam and stick for the scythe).

Thanks! I got it carved out yesterday and I'm paper mache-ing it today.