Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

A big flaming stink posted:

if anyone actually cares about that price tracking on foils i did earlier it seems that pretty much all foils of eternal playables spike like crazy when the new fall block is released. If this pattern holds for the delta, then it could easily end up at 120$ or more. In fact, this pattern seems to make it trivially correct to hold on to any foil fetches one can acquire, as they are very likely increase in value by at least 60% in only a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

NovemberMike posted:

It's just not what you want in a Monsters deck. Monsters wants to skip 3 drops and get to the 4/5 drops and Knuckleblade doesn't beat Polukranos in a fight. He's decent in decks that hold up mana, I've been playing around with a couple in modern and being able to swing hard on an empty board the turn you play him, threaten Tarmogoyf as a 6/6 and survive almost all removal is pretty nice. I'm not sure he's the correct card to play but he's at least good.

Three drops are fine for monsters decks, you just want three drops that can be easily cast off an elvish mystic. T2 rabblemaster is no joke.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Stop worrying about the meta based on SCG tournaments where everyone has just copied the previous SCG tournament.

you should read the whole post and not just the first few words, thanks

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Three drops are fine for monsters decks, you just want three drops that can be easily cast off an elvish mystic. T2 rabblemaster is no joke.

Are they running 4 rabble / 4 courser or some other combo?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Someone kicked in my local game store's glass door, and stole 3 unopened boxes of Khans boosters last week.

Really. That's all they stole. No singles, left twenty other boxes of sealed boosters.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

kizudarake posted:

Someone kicked in my local game store's glass door, and stole 3 unopened boxes of Khans boosters last week.

Really. That's all they stole. No singles, left twenty other boxes of sealed boosters.

I blame it on MTGO V4. Someone probably really needed that 3AM draft fix and there was no other way.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A big flaming stink posted:

if anyone actually cares about that price tracking on foils i did earlier it seems that pretty much all foils of eternal playables spike like crazy when the new fall block is released. If this pattern holds for the delta, then it could easily end up at 120$ or more. In fact, this pattern seems to make it trivially correct to hold on to any foil fetches one can acquire, as they are very likely increase in value by at least 60% in only a year.

While this might be true, the real reason the foils own is because all of them besides polluted delta actually look good. Much better than the lame originals. The flooded strand even has a kawaii dry-bones in it!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

kizudarake posted:

Someone really, really wanted those fetchlands.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
The best part is if they opened exactly none after doing that.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Veyrall posted:

The best part is if they opened exactly none after doing that.

Nah they're holding onto them for value.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Symphonie posted:

I mean it happened last year with mono-blue.

Mono-black wasn't in any of the SCG tournaments prior to the PT either.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 7, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

While this might be true, the real reason the foils own is because all of them besides polluted delta actually look good. Much better than the lame originals. The flooded strand even has a kawaii dry-bones in it!

cant argue with this logic. also in further MODO is a piece of poo poo news, apparently you can't use glittering wish to get wear//tear because its a mono-colored card.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well I sold all my rabblemasters when they hit 10 ish but one of my team mates just cashed out. I think we're still sitting on 500 or so...

e: average buy price $0.82

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 7, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well I sold all my rabblemasters when they hit 10 ish but one of my team mates just cashed out. I think we're still sitting on 500 or so...

:catstare:

Jesus Christ.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Congratulations are due, that's the most successful spec I've ever seen in Magic. Does your friend have any stock tips?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

ban this sick filth

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

mtgo finance appreciation station

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

"MaRo posted:

Why all the pictures of turtles in your Volume article? Is there some joke I'm missing?

I don’t know but I’m looking into it.
Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass are now definitely the basis for an upcoming block. :downs:

Also from the blogs, Magic books are dead. :(

Despite the fact that they rarely even reached good genre fiction status and were mostly total crap, I am actually sad. I liked just having a Magic book to read, rather than them quasi-serialising the story on Uncharted Realms.

Meanwhile, concerning the current storyline, something pertaining to dead Ugin, the spirit dragon:

"Death's hand opened to claim me, but I am still a dragon. I go only where I please.
I remained in the ghostly memory of the place where I died, little more than a ghost myself. Mind, body, and spirit alike were all broken and lost, but I am still a dragon and my indomitable will remained."
Nicol Bolas

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Just putting it out there that there is a really good chance that Treasure Cruise is going to get banned in the eternal formats.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Just putting it out there that there is a really good chance that Treasure Cruise is going to get banned in the eternal formats.

Oh man, don't tell the eternal thread that. It's fine! :goonsay:

I was playing vintage the other night and I went, from an empty hand, Cruise into fetch + Lotus + Cruise, cast Cruise #2. 6 cards. In 1 turn. For 2 mana. From an empty hand. It's seriously broken. No way does it not get restricted and/or banned.

But seriously Wizards, give decks other than blue and burn something good. I want legacy Jund to be a thing. Maybe we could just ban storm?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
/\/\/\: OK that's a little obscene but that's Vintage for you.

I don't really see why. It's a good card, but not obscenely broken.

redux
Apr 23, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Oh man, don't tell the eternal thread that. It's fine! :goonsay:

I was playing vintage the other night and I went, from an empty hand, Cruise into fetch + Lotus + Cruise, cast Cruise #2. 6 cards. In 1 turn. For 2 mana. From an empty hand. It's seriously broken. No way does it not get restricted and/or banned.

But seriously Wizards, give decks other than blue and burn something good. I want legacy Jund to be a thing. Maybe we could just ban storm?

I've been playing quite a bit of legacy BUG delver online and it's insane how much that card has warped things. I started out playing 3 and that quickly became 4 when I realized I basically always wanted it turn 3-4 without fail and that chaining it is trivial even with a deck that uses its graveyard to some extent.

It may well get banned in legacy, and I don't think that bodes well for it in modern. I just wonder if it does get banned in both formats is Dig Through Time going to follow it? It's obviously much less good in legacy and probably overall, but may be better in the blue combo decks like sneak and show, and does a lot of work in UWR control in modern.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

/\/\/\: OK that's a little obscene but that's Vintage for you.

I don't really see why. It's a good card, but not obscenely broken.

You should see it in the Jeskai Ascendancy Deck, I think in Channel Fireball's latest video Sam Pardee ends up casting 3 cruises in 1 turn, on turn 3.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Madmarker posted:

You should see it in the Jeskai Ascendancy Deck, I think in Channel Fireball's latest video Sam Pardee ends up casting 3 cruises in 1 turn, on turn 3.

Well, that is a deck that can by design cast indefinite numbers of 1-mana cantrips once it starts going off (not to mention having a looter built into the engine, so each Sleight of Hand or whatever is actually +2 for Delve). Most decks will have to do more work for the second or third Cruise. I don't know that Cruise is a problem in Modern in fair decks.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Hey guys! Brand new to the thread and game! Bought my first box and I hope you all don't mind if in the next couple of weeks I bombard this thread with basic questions and such. I'm really enjoying the game so far and I even played in a draft last night. Everyone was experienced, but I just told them that it was literally my fifth time playing and my opponents were really helpful and patient :3: I have a couple friends who I will be playing with casually and I'm lucky enough to live close to at least 3 or 4 really good venues that play multiple times a week. So, hi magic goons! :)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Madmarker posted:

Ascendancy is something I'm not paying attention to because if Wizards has any sense that card will end up banned in Modern.

I need to open some at some point. I've cracked a box and a half worth of packs for Sealed, Draft and my prizes and got a Mardu, a Temur, and a Playset of Abzan (that I'm using for a jokey Warriors deck) but no Jeskai or Sultai. It's got a $5.50 mid and I'd love to flip some for some Modern stuff before it ends up banned.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

redux posted:

I've been playing quite a bit of legacy BUG delver online and it's insane how much that card has warped things. I started out playing 3 and that quickly became 4 when I realized I basically always wanted it turn 3-4 without fail and that chaining it is trivial even with a deck that uses its graveyard to some extent.

It may well get banned in legacy, and I don't think that bodes well for it in modern. I just wonder if it does get banned in both formats is Dig Through Time going to follow it? It's obviously much less good in legacy and probably overall, but may be better in the blue combo decks like sneak and show, and does a lot of work in UWR control in modern.

Could you post your bug delver list that uses them? I've wanted to play that deck for a while but thought dig thru time was better for it compared to the other delver decks. I've been running 1-2 dig in UWR modern and miracles but might change to 2-3 cruiser miracles in the version that doesn't use snapcaster.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Now imagine if Delve had been in one of the red clans and we got a burn spell with Delve.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

Ascendancy is something I'm not paying attention to because if Wizards has any sense that card will end up banned in Modern.

I agree with you here, Ascendancy is absolutely busted, but treasure cruise is as well. You can cast it on turn two thanks to fetches, gitaxian probes and manamorphose. Even if Jeskai Ascendancy goes away, this card can easily reinvigorate storm combo strategies. I mean, casting one of those with an active Pyromancer's Ascension seems like one of the most busted things I can think of.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My standard league last night was everyone netdecking Jeskai Tempo. Ended up going 2-2 though I'm still in first but I SB'ed terribly vs it bringing in Erase which ended up useless and Magma Srpay which was almost as bad. I was playing RW walkers. Fated conflagration is a star in this format. The interaction between Sarkhan's is interesting in that it seems like you want to be the second person to land a Sarkhan rather than the first. Same goes for Chandra. Also the way I lost games makes me think that a few deflecting palms in the SB might be good even though the card just seems bad to me because it doesn't effect the board but the 4 dmg swing would've been enough to win pretty much all the games I lost... Might just be SSS....

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

Now imagine if Delve had been in one of the red clans and we got a burn spell with Delve.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Those darn net deckers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Those darn net deckers.

I don't care if they netdeck, I'm not above that, i just want to be ready for it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I don't care if they netdeck, I'm not above that, i just want to be ready for it.

I think Sickening responded as he did as the term "Netdeck" tends to be used by bad players as a way to to justify their janky homebrew deck's losses.

Now, you probably didn't mean it as such, but with the connotation the term "Netdeck" has, its easy to see how it is interpreted that way.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

There's a reason they only let it target creatures.

I'd bet any money though that Harvest Pyre actually is a remnant of when they tried to put Delve in Innistrad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Madmarker posted:

I think Sickening responded as he did as the term "Netdeck" tends to be used by bad players as a way to to justify their janky homebrew deck's losses.

Now, you probably didn't mean it as such, but with the connotation the term "Netdeck" has, its easy to see how it is interpreted that way.

It's actually an advantage, or it should be if you don't gently caress up like I did last night, in that you know exactly what they have and you should be able to have good answers for it...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This came up in the facebook feed of my local play group. Apparently one of the non-locals played and won in a PTQ at da-planet and had some comments to make about the free food they were giving out to the players

And I guess he thinks we're casuals cuz when I play on the island we only get maybe 60 people for a PTQ instead of the hundreds here on the mainland. Though I did go to a WV PTQ once that only had 60 which was refreshing from the typical 200 person slog. So the judges are looking into it. :3: dunno what they can about the guy but I remember what happened with #crackgate and the one time a player "joked" about rape on Twitter so eh.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's actually an advantage, or it should be if you don't gently caress up like I did last night, in that you know exactly what they have and you should be able to have good answers for it...

Generally decks that get good and are copied do so because they are powerful even in the face of sideboard answers. I mean, Monoblack Devotion was certainly a "netdeck" but it remained extremely potent, and dominant even in the face of it being a known factor.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Generally decks that get good and are copied do so because they are powerful even in the face of sideboard answers. I mean, Monoblack Devotion was certainly a "netdeck" but it remained extremely potent, and dominant even in the face of it being a known factor.

And what happened when MonoB started to dominate the meta? Rabble red smashed their face in. If you know the meta, you should be able to beat it. (Not that i'm a good enough player to be able to do that reliability.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

This came up in the facebook feed of my local play group. Apparently one of the non-locals played and won in a PTQ at da-planet and had some comments to make about the free food they were giving out to the players

And I guess he thinks we're casuals cuz when I play on the island we only get maybe 60 people for a PTQ instead of the hundreds here on the mainland. Though I did go to a WV PTQ once that only had 60 which was refreshing from the typical 200 person slog. So the judges are looking into it. :3: dunno what they can about the guy but I remember what happened with #crackgate and the one time a player "joked" about rape on Twitter so eh.

I would love to see the fallout if he gets suspended or something for unsporting conduct. Burgergate! :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

And what happened when MonoB started to dominate the meta? Rabble red smashed their face in. If you know the meta, you should be able to beat it. (Not that i'm a good enough player to be able to do that reliability.)

Thats a bit of a unfair comparison, Rabble Red came about thanks to M15, Mono-black devotion was a thing before m15 came out, m15 brought about a whole new meta. Yes it was a good metagame call, and certainly influenced by Moboblack's previous dominance, but Rabblemaster wasn't even printed for most of monoblack's reign.

Yes, knowing the meta gives an experienced player the ability to tool their deck to handle the expected decks they will play against, but, with how much tournament grinding a reporting there is now, good decks rise to well known and "netdeck" status and are tuned to handle most sideboard hate far faster and more powerfully than the vast majority of even good homebrews can handle.

Yes playing an unknown deck gives an advantage in sideboarding versus a known quantity, but more often than not that advantage is paltry in comparison to the advantage playing an otherwise good and known deck grants through its power level and synergy.

Entropic posted:

I would love to see the fallout if he gets suspended or something for unsporting conduct. Burgergate! :munch:

I would not be surprised if he is suspended for unsporting conduct or something similar.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 7, 2014

• Locked thread