Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

thexerox123 posted:

It's also supposed to have its own game-only villain created by Bryke.

Oh, here's a spoiler on the villain/plot:

The villain will be a special type of chi-blocker who, at the start of the game, strips Korra of her bending abilities, which she has to regain in the course of the game.

Ahahaha. Oh lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Drifter posted:

Ahahaha. Oh lord.

It's a pretty good in-world explanation for certain game mechanics, though.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

thexerox123 posted:

It's a pretty good in-world explanation for certain game mechanics, though.

Yeah. I'd roll my eyes at a show season like that, but for a game it's a pretty great approach.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ahahaha. Reading more of that article that I posted, it talks about how Platinum ended up getting on board...

quote:

It was just really fascinating to [us]. Just the fact that it's so detailed and the fact that each of the bending styles is based on actual different types of Kung-Fu. The way that it's actually animated is just really impressive.

There's more to it than that too. There's the love story that they have, and there's Bolin as the comic relief and the comedy in it is just awesome.

That's right, we have the Platinum game coming because they liked the love story and Bolin's comic relief.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

thexerox123 posted:

Ahahaha. Reading more of that article that I posted, it talks about how Platinum ended up getting on board...

That's right, we have the Platinum game coming because they liked the love story and Bolin's comic relief.

Well uh, are they aware that the first series exists?

Someone really hosed up showing them Korra instead of the last airbender.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

HoneyBoy posted:

Well uh, are they aware that the first series exists?

Someone really hosed up showing them Korra instead of the last airbender.

Actually, as a Platinum game Korra works better than the Last Airbender, so great loving job, you unnamed hero!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm just waiting for the Iron Man armor at this point

They foreshadowed that for a reason last season

Maybe because of the mech suits they showed off in the first episode?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

computer parts posted:

Maybe because of the mech suits they showed off in the first episode?
Varrick stole tech from Evil Future Industries

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Regalingualius posted:

According to one of the dev interviews for the Korra game, they actually had to keep pausing their viewing of the first two seasons to translate them by hand when their interest in the series (before they'd even approached Nick) was first sparked.

So, expect Spanish dubs and French subs with Japanese UI just like Vanquish? I do love Vanquish for those multilingual options. Then again, considering that Platinum's Korra is gonna be a budget game, Then might just include the regular Jap/Eng subs and UI function with English voices, unless they went through the trouble of paying for dubbing just for Bolin.

DrSunshine posted:

After the show is over, Bryan and Mike should get Hideaki Anno to direct the Rebuild of Korra movies.

I'm not sure if I'd be okay with an emotionally disturbed Mako masturbating to an unconscious Korra in a hospital or Tenzin killing Lin after revealing his master plan for turning Jinora and her clones into some new super spirit god with meaningless and pretentious Buddhist symbolism there to try and explain his reasoning. Let's not forget a drunken Kuvira and her pet Turtleduck or President Raiko Ikari being a horrible person in general who uses people for improving his poll ratings. Meelo is still an ugly child.

At least there will be awesome Sato mechs battling spirits who want to reach a spirit portal deep beneath the presidential building to cause some apocalyptic event that may or may not birth a new world, but shockhorror, Meelo was actually the last vengeful spirit destined to destroy humanity!

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it's a horrible idea and we should never consider it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Why are you all letting the poo poo thread title win?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
First change in the rebuild: Have Amon kill most of those onlookers to show how he's gone over the event horizon. This would take 4 seconds, wouldn't need to be on screen and would allow some equalists to continue believing that Amon was a non bender.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

uncleKitchener posted:

I'm not sure if I'd be okay with an emotionally disturbed Mako masturbating to an unconscious Korra in a hospital

So there's a chance? That's what I like to hear.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Jesus Christ I have no idea what any of you are talking about but it's super gross and kinda creepy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rosalind posted:

Jesus Christ I have no idea what any of you are talking about but it's super gross and kinda creepy.

And now you don't ever have to watch Evangelion.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Robots.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Jackard posted:

Varrick stole tech from Evil Future Industries

If by stole, you mean bought the company that makes them, then yes, he did steal them.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Actually, if you were paying close attention, the last episode of Season 3 of Korra had a pretty clear Evangelion reference. It's one of the scenes from End of Evangelion where Shinji kind of bugs out.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an intentional reference. I remember reading that, when production started on A:TLA, Bryan and Mike sat the crew -- including the Korean animators-- down and had them watch FLCL to get an idea for the "feel" that they were going for.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Rosalind posted:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Aggressive pricing posted:

If by stole, you mean bought the company that makes them, then yes, he did steal them.

He stole all of the stock from their warehouse. It was a pretty major plot point.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 7, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, if you were paying close attention, the last episode of Season 3 of Korra had a pretty clear Evangelion reference. It's one of the scenes from End of Evangelion where Shinji kind of bugs out.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an intentional reference. I remember reading that, when production started on A:TLA, Bryan and Mike sat the crew -- including the Korean animators-- down and had them watch FLCL to get an idea for the "feel" that they were going for.

They wanted Korra to be a protracted metaphor for coming of age puberty? poo poo, that kind of makes sense.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Doubtless they are determined to outdo any thread you ever had

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

GIVE IN TO THE MADNESS

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
We want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I think I've been pretty patient about most of the topics that have come up in this thread, but I'm really getting tired of this Evangelion poo poo. Friday can't come fast enough.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Wildeyes posted:

I think I've been pretty patient about most of the topics that have come up in this thread, but I'm really getting tired of this Evangelion poo poo. Friday can't come fast enough.

I just watched episode three and now completely regret not just sticking with the rebuild movies.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
My favorite Evangelion reference in Avatar is King Bumi's character design.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

On a completely unrelated note, I had the opportunity to play Avatar World, the Avatar Apocalypse World hack designed by some random guy, and it's really good. It does an excellent job of capturing the shenanigans feeling of Avatar and giving you enough control to do some creative stuff. Also benders and nonbenders are well-balanced. Best of all it's free and you can download the rules here: http://www.logbook-project.com/p/avatar-world_23.html

Meanwhile, my friend continues to toil on a total conversion of D&D to Avatar. I think it's a fruitless endeavor--Avatar just doesn't lend itself to the type of combat that D&D encourages.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Sithsaber posted:

I just watched episode three and now completely regret not just sticking with the rebuild movies.

There's a Eva thread that I'm sure would love to hear your opinions, check it out, but you can't really read the thread yet because it's full of spoilers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What is the name of Opal's brother who's marrying Kuvira? He was an abstract metalbending sculptor in the previous season too, wasn't he?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

What is the name of Opal's brother who's marrying Kuvira? He was an abstract metalbending sculptor in the previous season too, wasn't he?

His name is Baatar Jr., the architect who is only seen for a moment in Book 3 with his father, and you have him confused with Huan, the sculptor.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Well, I warned you :shrug:

Rosalind posted:

Meanwhile, my friend continues to toil on a total conversion of D&D to Avatar. I think it's a fruitless endeavor--Avatar just doesn't lend itself to the type of combat that D&D encourages.
Man, talk about a wasted effort.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 7, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rosalind posted:

His name is Baatar Jr., the architect who is only seen for a moment in Book 3 with his father, and you have him confused with Huan, the sculptor.

Thank you. Now I don't need to read this thread any more.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Oh look, the new Korra's out. Wow it's pretty good. Let's check out what the thread has to say...

uncleKitchener posted:

I'd be okay with an emotionally disturbed Mako masturbating to an unconscious Korra in a hospital.

:smithicide:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

It also kind of reminds me of Sokka on cactus juice. Except, you know, not played for humor.

Also, how likely is it that we're not getting a clip this week since the first Book 4 clip released was likely from this episode?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

Doubtless they are determined to outdo any thread you ever had
Impossible, I'm the OP of the Current Releases thread.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Rosalind posted:

Does he know there are already several of those in existence, with various degrees of sperginess and editions supported? :shrug:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

AmiYumi posted:

Does he know there are already several of those in existence, with various degrees of sperginess and editions supported? :shrug:

He thinks he will make a better version I guess. I don't know. Everyone needs a hobby I suppose and I think every nerd who plays tabletop games enough experiments with making their own system or modifying an existing one at some point.

Out of curiosity, could you share some of these systems (provided they're not :filez: or something)?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Here. Can't tell you where those two came from (I don't remember), but they were on my HDD. I remember seeing at least 2-3 more, one of which was exclusively a Korra conversion.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

AmiYumi posted:

Here. Can't tell you where those two came from (I don't remember), but they were on my HDD. I remember seeing at least 2-3 more, one of which was exclusively a Korra conversion.

Oh nice. The 4E one piques my interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Rosalind posted:

Oh nice. The 4E one piques my interest.

There was someone trying to get a PBP for that waaay back, it fell through, like 90% of all SA Play by Post threads

• Locked thread