Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
New TWDY streaming over at Pitchfork. I agree with everything I've read about it here. The best way for me to describe it personally is that nothing is particularly bad, just that nothing is particularly groundbreaking or spine-tingling. Definitely a lot of filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Protocol7 posted:

New TWDY streaming over at Pitchfork. I agree with everything I've read about it here. The best way for me to describe it personally is that nothing is particularly bad, just that nothing is particularly groundbreaking or spine-tingling. Definitely a lot of filler.

In my opinion, that describes TWDY as a whole.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So Mono's new album, which comes out October 28th, is gonna be a double album: The Last Dawn and Rays of Darkness. They're lighter and darker albums respectively. Apparently there won't be any more string section overloads like there were on For My Parents. They're also making shorter, more concise tracks this time around.

The Last Dawn

Rays of Darkness

First track premiere: "Where We Begin" from The Last Dawn.
https://soundcloud.com/temporary-residence-ltd-1/mono-where-we-begin

After new TWDY being a disappointment, I'm really hoping new Mono totally blows me away. That track is a good sign, at least.

This is a great track, really looking forward to this double album.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

Cymbal Monkey posted:

loving incredible. I've been both times and both were stunning. Cleft absolutely stole the show though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIL-bSKkwpM
A band that played a cover of RATM stole the show with an absolute STACKED lineup of post-rock bands? Seems far-fetched to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder if a Kickstarter to bring back Terrastock would work.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Don Mega posted:

A band that played a cover of RATM stole the show with an absolute STACKED lineup of post-rock bands? Seems far-fetched to me.

It wasn't a cover at first. They just used that riff and then someone in the audience (a friend of mine, actually) jumped the barrier, grabbed the mic and started singing.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Here's a thing that is happening: the vocalist from Isis has a new band called Sumac. Brian Cook from Russian Circles did the bass for their new album.

http://www.theprp.com/2014/09/03/news/ex-isis-singer-teams-with-members-of-russian-circles-baptists-in-new-band-sumac/

Doesn't really say what it's like, but the album's recorded and out in February.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Brian Cook is great, so it will hopefully be good.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Speaking of Brian Cook, I just got back from the Russian Circles show in Toronto. So loving good, totally worth the fact that I'm only going to get less than 5 hours of sleep before work tomorrow :D

yeastiality
Dec 20, 2012

homewrecker posted:

Speaking of Brian Cook, I just got back from the Russian Circles show in Toronto. So loving good, totally worth the fact that I'm only going to get less than 5 hours of sleep before work tomorrow :D

Agree strongly. I want to believe they played Schiphol because of that one guy shouting SCHIPHOL! ... but maybe they just wanted to add it into the setlist.
Either way it was loving great. There's a definite difference when they use their north american gear (Verellen amps, Emperor heads etc). I think Mike was using a new les paul, but I could be mistaken.

I'm glad the lights at the front of the stage didn't fall off, too. The whole ceiling above them was bulging and shaking (with the music).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/mono-recoil-ignite-ii-stream

New Mono track from Rays of Darkness: Recoil, Ignite (Part II). If you like big Mono songs that completely envelop you, this one's for you.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
Ugh, both You Slut! and Adebisi Shank are calling it a day. What a depressing week :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Am I supposed to have heard of them before? I've been listening to post-rock for like 8 years now and neither of those names sound familiar at all :confused:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're math rock bands, not post-rock bands.

But they play at things like ArcTanGent and are lumped into the same scene as stuff like And So I Watch You From Afar.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

It's weird, math rock and post rock are almost diametrically opposed and yet get lumped in with each other. One is delay drenched washes of sound and the other is the most staccato thing in the universe.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Cymbal Monkey posted:

It's weird, math rock and post rock are almost diametrically opposed and yet get lumped in with each other. One is delay drenched washes of sound and the other is the most staccato thing in the universe.

Although The Most Staccato Thing in the Universe would be a great name for a post rock band. But maybe a bit too short.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cymbal Monkey posted:

There are bands like ASIWYFA and 65daysofstatic who can make a good case for playing both. Post-rock and math rock are very broad terms. But they probably get lumped together just for being mostly instrumental and not very popular.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

"This next song's called Fermat’s Last Theorum, so reviewers who call us math rock are actually right for once" - Right Hand Left Hand

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Oh goodie, I hadn't been paying attention to post-rock for a while and almost missed the Mono LP preorder. But there's still a few of the limited print LPs remaining. :3:

Planetarium
Apr 19, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, my band Beware of Safety is doing an AMA if anybody wants to join the conversation.
http://redd.it/2i462b
Anything you want to talk about regarding the artistic process, what it's like to tour/release as a small band, food, etc, is fair game!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Here is some pretty sick post-metal: http://music.prayforsound.com/ The post that referred me to this compared them to ITTCT and Russian Circles which got me to click on them but they're doin their own thing and it's pretty good IMO.

There's also gonna be a new Rosetta EP out on the 14th.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 7, 2014

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

So, I've heard the new Mono albums, and you should all know that these two albums will strip the flesh from your bones and ascend you to a higher level of existence.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
How did you get them? Has there been a leak or is this in a professional capacity?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Last Dawn has definitely leaked. Not sure about the other one.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

polynominal-c posted:

Although The Most Staccato Thing in the Universe would be a great name for a post rock band. But maybe a bit too short.

Give Us The Most Staccato Thing In The Universe Or Give Us Death

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

So, I've heard the new Mono albums, and you should all know that these two albums will strip the flesh from your bones and ascend you to a higher level of existence.

This is the kind of excitement that I need in my life. Awesome.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

thehustler posted:

How did you get them? Has there been a leak or is this in a professional capacity?

The latter.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is sooooooooooo much better than For My Parents, gently caress. I just wish I had the other part to listen to after this :( They're meant to compliment each other, after all.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

How is This Will Destroy You live? They're playing here later this month, and while I love that self-title LP I haven't heard the new stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

hatelull posted:

How is This Will Destroy You live? They're playing here later this month, and while I love that self-title LP I haven't heard the new stuff.
The new album isn't much like the s/t. It's a lot more ambient and less post-rock, and I found it pretty boring overall. I don't know what their setlists are like, though. If they're still playing a bunch of old stuff, then yeah, definitely go. If it's mostly new stuff, though, I wouldn't be inclined to pay to see that live, personally.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Their new albums are actually awesome and so are their live shows. They played a couple from Young Mountain and several from S/T when I saw them (before Another Language mind you). They have a live album but I really don't think it reflects how good it sounds live

e: also if anyone is interested I made a scan of the cover which isn't horrendously ugly like all the digital versions are

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 9, 2014

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

hatelull posted:

Saw them at Treefort Music Fest, they were kinda meh.

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just wanted to share this band, it's a female fronted black metal band with one of the members from Agalloch (Aesop Dekker), they have broken up now but they are a wonderful underground secret. Melodic and progressive black metal with plenty of acoustic guitar, clean electric, some really catchy riffs, and just overall great compositions with a lot of expansion and climaxes/falls, containing a lot of elements of post rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUZ_TGps96o
http://ludicraofficial.bandcamp.com/album/fex-urbis-lex-orbis

coolbian57 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 9, 2014

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Man I'm really diggin this: http://nomia.bandcamp.com

First half of the year was pretty sparse but in addition to the new Mono there's a bunch of good newish post metal bands showing up in my feed for whatever reason.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Multicam footage of Pelican playing Dead Between The Walls live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWSmZ2utz0s

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
:siren: New Jakob album streaming :siren:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The second half of the new Mono double album (Rays of Darkness) leaked too. poo poo is crazy. There are brass instruments and there are vocals :stare:

The brass stuff was a nice surprise because I had no idea that was coming and it blended really well with the rest of the instruments. The vocals, though...that was bizarre. They start like 5 minutes into the second to last song and they're only around for 2 minutes. Honestly, I could see vocals fitting into this song well, but not these vocals. These sound like a half-assed attempt at being metal vocals and they just rub me the wrong way.

And then the entire last track is this drone/noise thing that sounds grittier and more lo-fi than anything Mono has ever done?

I don't know, this album is kind of all over the place. Aside from Recoil, Ignite (which sounds like standard Mono fare, for the most part), and Surrender (the track with the brass instruments), it kinda sounds like they're trying to be Boris here but it doesn't quite reach the quality of Boris' stuff.

I can definitely see myself listening to Recoil, Ignite and Surrender again, but as for the other half of this half of the double album? Eh, I'll pass.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Honestly, I could see vocals fitting into this song well, but not these vocals. These sound like a half-assed attempt at being metal vocals and they just rub me the wrong way.

It's called (post-)hardcore and that's the vocalist from Envy, so yes, that's the intent.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The brass instruments remind me of Youthmovies and this is no bad thing.

Brass in post rock is a thing we need more of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jan posted:

It's called (post-)hardcore and that's the vocalist from Envy, so yes, that's the intent.
I love a bunch of post-hardcore bands, though, and this did not sound nearly as good as any of those.

thehustler posted:

The brass instruments remind me of Youthmovies and this is no bad thing.

Brass in post rock is a thing we need more of.
Yessssss, gently caress.