Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Warrior Princess posted:

His post doesn't say anything at all about being new to eve so good job on jumping to that.

Aztech posted:

After a few months of reading about eve in this thread, on themittani.com and the horrifically pubbie infested official forums i have decided to take the plunge, created an account and applied to Goonwaffe. Hopefully i can be in the warm and no doubt slightly fetid space embrace of goonswarm soon.

This implies that he is (pretending to be) a new player, good job at terrible reading comprehension. Go back to the archeage thread.

E: VVVV That's plausible, I don't know anything about Scrap Iron Flotilla. beyond what I dug up in 30 seconds of eve-skunking and a quick google search. I leave it to people who actually actively play the game to pass final judgement.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aztech
May 30, 2009

Interkosmos was a world of tanks group I was involved in for a while before moving into a goon tanks clan. They played eve before most of the members moved onto world of tanks, for a while I ran a ts3 server for them. Read into that what you will I guess.

Aztech fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 7, 2014

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

orange juche posted:

This implies that he is (pretending to be) a new player, good job at terrible reading comprehension.

Warrior Princess posted:

His post doesn't say anything at all about being new to eve so good job on jumping to that.

orange juche posted:

good job at terrible reading comprehension.

:ironicat:

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

blowfish posted:

More likely, everyone will dock up their ratting carriers and wait for 15 minutes. Counting alts, there won't be enough actual players in each system and its neighbours to organise a proper home defense fleet (you still can't support more than a handful of ratters per system) and anyone else is going to take even longer to get to the form up.

Well, this assumes that the changes are occurring in a vacuum. It's highly likely that 0.0 is going to be altered so that that sovereignty is tied to use, and that PvE will be reworked to support highly dense populations. So who knows, but it's for sure that CCP isn't interested in either having boogie man gangs of supers dropping on anything that moves anywhere, or in having sprawling empires that eat up most of the map. However all the changes end up shaking out, it's unlikely that any groups way of life will not be seriously shook up.

Pomp posted:

So, I guess, in short - is the consensus that the changes are going to have a good effect, too much of an effect, or in usual :ccp: fashion somehow make the meta issues they're attempting to fix even worse?

There is no consensus, which is one of the more exciting things about these changes.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

And I finally got my spring cleaning done.

Spring cleaning in this case meaning to clean up all the ozone and cynos that I left all over Eve by making a lap around the world in an interceptor and selling them.

About an hour and a half in total. I expected it to take longer.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 7, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Took you a really long time to come back with a single emote.

Without any further clarification from him (which he has since given) the obvious conclusion is a terribly covered spy, because there are a fuckton of retards in EVE who do dumb poo poo that can be traced back through simple google searches and searching for usernames/websites. A dumb spy is unlikely to do any damage, other than some hilarious forum posting that will be commited to the comedy crokmine, but why even let a dumb spy in if you catch them first?

Whose parachute account are you?

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

pugnax posted:

It's highly likely that 0.0 is going to be altered so that that sovereignty is tied to use, and that PvE will be reworked to support highly dense populations.

You're assuming quite a bit, given that CCP hasn't figured out how they're going to do those things or when they're going to do them. And while their most recent devblog did talk about revamping sov mechanics, it didn't mention any PVE changes. "highly likely" is a bit of a stretch.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

orange juche posted:

orange juche posted:

Go back to the archeage thread.

orange juche posted:

How old are you?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Warrior Princess posted:

How old are you?

More than 8 days old.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

orange juche posted:

Without any further clarification from him (which he has since given) the obvious conclusion is a terribly covered spy, because there are a fuckton of retards in EVE who do dumb poo poo that can be traced back through simple google searches and searching for usernames/websites. A dumb spy is unlikely to do any damage, other than some hilarious forum posting that will be commited to the comedy crokmine, but why even let a dumb spy in if you catch them first?

You're baguing it up dude

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

https://goonfleet.com/index.php/topic/194240-wtb-avatar-preferably-fitted/

Four month old character. One day in CO2. Time to buy a Titan.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Vyst and Co. can hold the gates just fine.

Are we going to do one last good deployment before we can't anymore?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It's me

I'm the spy

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

deadtear posted:

You're baguing it up dude

Point taken, I'm going to sleep before I say any more stupid poo poo, it's midnight in Japan and I have work in 5 hours.

Sorry, I did auth stuff for a bit and I probably shouldn't have done any digging seeing as I am on an eve sabbatical. I logged into jabber today though :negative: what is this game doing to me :argh:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 7, 2014

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
With all these force projection changes does that mean Calvary drakes are back?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

darthzeta88 posted:

With all these force projection changes does that mean Calvary drakes are back?

Yes but they are called Phoenixes now.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

ullerrm posted:

Yup, and that scuttling is actually something that gets emphasized for the wrong reasons. It wasn't a show of bravado.

Cortes was playing a legal game at this point -- his boss had withdrawn permission for him to go to Mexico (something about Cortes loving his sister), and was planning to send some scrub that would be easier to control instead. Cortes responded by having that scrub killed, and took out his armada without official permission. He was technically a mutineer when he landed in Mexico.

He knew that if he returned to Cuba, he'd be hung for mutiny. So, he got a town to declare him as a ruler, making him technically nobility -- authority now descended directly from the crown, instead of passing through Velazquez. Scuttling the ships ensured that anyone loyal to Velazquez wouldn't return to Cuba.

By becoming independent, Cortes denied Velazquez of most of the rewards for the conquest of Mexico.

BUT DID HE WRITE THE FIRST LETTER!?

DEAR GOD, DID HE!?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, turns out CFC lost a CSM member and high level diplo to PL today.

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Xander%20Phoena

ullerrm posted:

Yup, and that scuttling is actually something that gets emphasized for the wrong reasons. It wasn't a show of bravado.

Cortes was playing a legal game at this point -- his boss had withdrawn permission for him to go to Mexico (something about Cortes loving his sister), and was planning to send some scrub that would be easier to control instead. Cortes responded by having that scrub killed, and took out his armada without official permission. He was technically a mutineer when he landed in Mexico.

He knew that if he returned to Cuba, he'd be hung for mutiny. So, he got a town to declare him as a ruler, making him technically nobility -- authority now descended directly from the crown, instead of passing through Velazquez. Scuttling the ships ensured that anyone loyal to Velazquez wouldn't return to Cuba.

By becoming independent, Cortes denied Velazquez of most of the rewards for the conquest of Mexico.

Yep. History is pretty rad :allears:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Unfunny Poster posted:

If you like this, research how he explained being a petulant dick away to the crown.

"Oh, so... you didn't get the memo?" was basically his get-out-of-jail-free card.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cannon_Fodder posted:

If you like this, research how he explained being a petulant dick away to the crown.

"Oh, so... you didn't get the memo?" was basically his get-out-of-jail-free card.

I did during college. I enjoy other areas of human history far more than that of Latin and South America's. I think that might make me a racist :ohdear:

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster
With the new developer API, CREST, being rolled out - could somebody answer a few questions for me.

1) In the comments of theat TMC article, some people were suggesting that CREST supports both reading and writing data from the EVE servers. Does this, in theory, mean we could update our skill queues using a mobile app?

2) Does the SSO (single-sign-on) system mean that alliances will stop relying on API keys to manage their auth systems? This seems like a big advantage, and pretty much eliminates events liek happened with BNI earlier this year - where virtually all of their API keys were leaked and put up for grabs on Reddit.

Margaret Thatcher fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 7, 2014

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Margaret Thatcher posted:

2) Does the SSO (single-sign-on) system mean that alliances will stop relying on API keys to manage their auth systems? This seems like a big advantage, and pretty much eliminates events liek happened with BNI earlier this year - where virtually all of their API keys were leaked and put up for grabs on Reddit.

No, of course not.

SSO applyes to your own sign-on, so once you have sent your username+password in the main login window, you can access the game client, the account services, the CREST services and everything tied to your account in CCP' servers.

Player organization auth (and other) services require the access to third-party accounts, and you can't give that kind of access to anyone (by EULA), and of course you should not do it even it CCP allowed it.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

Amberskin posted:

No, of course not.

SSO applyes to your own sign-on, so once you have sent your username+password in the main login window, you can access the game client, the account services, the CREST services and everything tied to your account in CCP' servers.

Player organization auth (and other) services require the access to third-party accounts, and you can't give that kind of access to anyone (by EULA), and of course you should not do it even it CCP allowed it.

But supposedly you'd be giving that access to certain site administrators anyway?

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

What would you do if you were exiled to the Bastion?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

Mynnna! Noooo

Oh wait It's Someone ≠ Mynnna. We'll be fine.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

orange juche posted:

Point taken, I'm going to sleep before I say any more stupid poo poo, it's midnight in Japan and I have work in 5 hours.

Sorry, I did auth stuff for a bit and I probably shouldn't have done any digging seeing as I am on an eve sabbatical. I logged into jabber today though :negative: what is this game doing to me :argh:

I don't recall you on my team! Must've gotten an SA name change or something.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Huh, Xander was a goon?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blowfish posted:

Huh, Xander was a goon?

If CFC = Goon, then yes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
In other news, do you feel charitable today?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Wasn't one of Half Life chapters named like that?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

omeg posted:

Wasn't one of Half Life chapters named like that?

Was the chapter called "Anomalous Materials" or "Research Race"?

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

I say we should make a character with an exceptionally awful name and win that tournament.

Or simply "Mittani's Regards"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

vyst posted:

I don't recall you on my team! Must've gotten an SA name change or something.

If that's Anya Solette, he's on his fourth (fifth?) SA name, previously i do cocaine/cockblocking jerk/something else, idk.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If that's Anya Solette, he's on his fourth SA name, previously i do cocaine/cockblocking jerk/something else, idk.

Ahhhh I figured as much. I knew it was a name change.

Carry on

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
Is it too late to nominate my gsf character Fix Lag for that contest if Mittani's Regards is already taken?

E: tgr owns the character Fix Sov so we should use that instead

Fix Lag fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 7, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

orange juche posted:

They're alright, not great but not bad. I can't think of any single role that I would bring a proteus to do that I couldn't put another ship into, though, except for extremely heavy tackle. You can get 500k EHP out of a Proteus with links.

They got good around the same time as the Tengu, due to the medium rail buffs. Looks like this:
code:
[Proteus, Hammercat (long point)]
Internal Force Field Array I
Centum B-Type Energized Explosive Membrane
Imperial Navy Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Imperial Navy Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
1600mm Reinforced Steel Plates II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

Republic Fleet 10MN Afterburner
Republic Fleet Warp Disruptor
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script

250mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M

Medium Anti-EM Pump II
Medium Trimark Armor Pump II
Medium Trimark Armor Pump II

Proteus Defensive - Augmented Plating
Proteus Electronics - Friction Extension Processor
Proteus Engineering - Power Core Multiplier
Proteus Offensive - Dissonic Encoding Platform
Proteus Propulsion - Localized Injectors
Significantly less range than Railgus (maxes out at ~90km), but significantly higher DPS and tracking, and everyone has range-bonused points. Works particularly well against MJDing BSes if you have everyone refit to scrams that reach out to 22km. Problem is, it's hard to make this fit downgrade to T2 mods nicely, so as a doctrine it's kinda limited to high-SP low-numbers groups.

With the new developer API, CREST, being rolled out - could somebody answer a few questions for me.

1) In the comments of theat TMC article, some people were suggesting that CREST supports both reading and writing data from the EVE servers. Does this, in theory, mean we could update our skill queues using a mobile app?

#1: Yes, once they add support for it. CCP can choose at any time what can and can't be written to. Right now, I think the only thing you can write to is standings.

#2: In theory, yes, this is the case. In practice, CCP is likely to keep the older XMLRPC API running indefinitely, so people will just continue to ask for keys for that, and continue to use that API, rather than rewrite.

More to the point, according to the documentation they've got up, the SSO system currently only supports authorization, so it's not super useful at this moment. (Also, it only works on Sisi.)

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

orange juche posted:

Anya come back to the loving embrace of SV we need to rebuild our US/TZ crew and im close to being free'd from the shackles of grad school.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

But supposedly you'd be giving that access to certain site administrators anyway?

After a second read, you are quite right. You, as user, will give third parties privileges to use certain API endpoints, and the SSO will let the third part providers to authenticate you against the CCP servers without them even seeing yout password. So I was wrong in my last post.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Amberskin posted:

No, of course not.

This is wrong. It's using the same OAuth2 protocol that basically everyone in the world uses for APIs. You do not get someone's u/p.

Assuming that CCP aren't loving idiots, it works like this:

* You click "Log into Eve Online" on auth.goonfleet.com
* auth.goonfleet.com sends you a redirect to login.eveonline.com with a list of things it needs from your account, i.e. see your skillsheets and what corps you're in, for all characters on the account"
* login.eveonline.com pops up a login page, with a note, "auth.goonfleet.com wants permission to: see your skillsheets and what corps you're in, for all characters on the account. If this is ok, log in."
* When you log in, Eve generates a special key for auth.goonfleet.com to use. It then redirects you back to auth.goonfleet.com, with that code in the URL.

Now, auth.goonfleet.com can use that code to get your skillsheets and corps. It doesn't have your U/P, and can't use that code to log into the game; nor can it use that code for anything else other than seeing skillsheets.

It's like an API key, except that you never actually have to type in the API key. And plus, it's stronger:

* Auth can't go back and ask for more permissions. If Auth team needs more info, they have to ask you to log in again.
* You can't go back and reduce the amount of info after you've given a key to auth -- you have to revoke permission for that entire code.

e: one other bit of blurf

mikey posted:

They said this about the Vagabond, too.

Of course they never really did nerf it, everything else just powercrept up around it over the course of 8-9 years while it stayed the same.

This is a long running battle I have with the CCP balance team -- projectile turrets (especially small and medium ones) look balanced when they're compared against hybrids/lasers/missiles in isolation. In practice, they are crap, because all the hulls that use projectiles are crap atm.

I can only think of three projectile ships that are in common use and have damage-dealing as their primary role -- Thrasher, Muninn, and Tornado. All of them are undertanked, agile arty platforms used at long distances. Most other projectile turret ships have some other role they're filling (typically, tackling) and the weapons are an afterthought at best.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

On the t3 cruiser discussion, don't PL or some other enemy of ours have a Legion doctrine? How do those stack up?

• Locked thread