Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Leofish posted:

Genius on Social Media

I checked his account and this was pinned

I think I like this guy.

e: more from racist dude on facebook

Moatman has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

JT Smiley posted:

Do they not teach straight white guys the definition of the word harassment in school?

Uh, he was literally called a poop person. That's clearly a vicious attack on straight white men. Didn't you see the CNN segment "Which is worse? The N-word or Poop Person?"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

JT Smiley posted:

Do they not teach straight white guys the definition of the word harassment in school?

"She told me to get my hands off, but harassment 'come and get it'!"

:smithicide:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Loving "Цолин Кауффман" there who is clearly some douche who tried to write his name in Cyrillic letters because he thinks it looks cool. It's supposed to say Colin Kauffman, but he's obviously using a QWERTY-based Russian keyboard layout designed for people learning the language, where the C key gets you Ц, which is a TS sound. Nice job, Tsolin.

Also, there's no hard C in Russian. The Cyrillic С is an S. Colin would be written as Колин (Kolin).

Ha ha ha awesome, my eyes just instantly glaze over youtube e: facebook e2 ...all comments. фф isn't even a thing. He could have at least used Google. This took .5 seconds. It took me longer to figure out how to crop & resize this image without photoshop than to type it in.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Oct 7, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

JT Smiley posted:

I'm sure his life has been super hard because he's a straight white male and not because he's a lovely individual.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm sure his life has been super hard because he's a straight white male and not because he's a lovely individual.

I love it when people claim they were picked on growing up because they played video games. As if video games haven't been part of pop culture for over three decades. Hell, I'd say you're more likely to find a kid who got picked on because his parents didn't get him a Playstation or Xbox.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

JT Smiley posted:

I love it when people claim they were picked on growing up because they played video games. As if video games haven't been part of pop culture for over three decades. Hell, I'd say you're more likely to find a kid who got picked on because his parents didn't get him a Playstation or Xbox.

Well yeah, every kid played video games but not every kid was one of those kids.
Cmon, you know the kind we're talking about.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Does 9gag count? Because this...:barf:

Choice comments:

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

JT Smiley posted:

The only way I could see it being the case is if they were so obsessed with games that they never stopped talking about them to a really a obnoxious degree. Which would be in line with being obsessed enough to join in some weird internet "movement" about them.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

But it's so edgy, that's what makes it funny! :rolleye:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
http://midnightresistance.co.uk/articles/how-build-non-misogynistic-gaming-pc

quote:

(...)it’s simply never been easier to find yourself in command of a powerful and affordable PC that will last you the best part of a decade and not contain components manufactured by a company that implicitly supports an ongoing campaign of hatred and abuse towards women.

quote:

According to our tests this is the hard drive least likely to detach itself from your PC in a sentient, misogy-chanical rage and violently eject itself into an unsuspecting woman’s face, such is the overpowering hatred and ignorance that fuels the company that manufactured it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

This is actually pretty hilarious and those are all good components.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Picnic Princess posted:

Jesus loving Christ, already?!?

Yeah, I got one of those about a month ago.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

into the void posted:

He keeps yammering on about the monkeys that contacted ebola without direct contact. This happened a few decades ago, if I remember correctly, and for a time they thought that *maybe* virus had mutated and become airborne. However, researchers now believe it was due to clean up of urine and excrement on the floor with a high powered hose. It essential created an ebola mist that could travel a short distance between vents. That's it. No mutation. No airborne abilities. It was still spreading via bodily fluids.

Well, if you're talking about the Virginia outbreak (as detailed in Robert Preston's "The Hot Zone"), that was classified as Ebola Reston, and, although can be transmitted via airborne vector, does not affect human beings at all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Vriess posted:

Well, if you're talking about the Virginia outbreak (as detailed in Robert Preston's "The Hot Zone"), that was classified as Ebola Reston, and, although can be transmitted via airborne vector, does not affect human beings at all.

The Hot Zone is a really great book, too. If you're concerned or interested in ebola given the current outbreak, I'd highly recommend picking it up. I think I'd be a lot more freaked out by the situation if I hadn't read it in high school, but it also helps me appreciate how loving awful it must be to live in one of the affected areas.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Was reading The Washington Post's article about Gay Marriage in VA due to the SCOTUS actions and decided to look at the comments for some reason. Surprisingly they weren't bad, more pro-equality than not, but this stuck out to me:

I mean, Manniage sounds pretty baller to me.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I know, right? Not even being able to understand a joke meme and overreacting as if it's a truthful statement.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, wanna read something gross and racist?

http://deadspin.com/cardinals-fans-get-ugly-in-clash-with-ferguson-proteste-1643282285/all

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The woman who tells the camera guy she doesn't think he's a vet is great.

"How far did you get?" "How far did I get? I made it back alive, that's how far I got."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The woman who tells the camera guy she doesn't think he's a vet is great.

"How far did you get?" "How far did I get? I made it back alive, that's how far I got."
"Not as far as I did with your mom."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Crain posted:

I mean, Manniage sounds pretty baller to me.

"Lesbdge"

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I just had Facebook recommend this page to me:

I am not diabetic and the closest thing to "scene" I like or follow is a single Glam Rock/Hair Metal page. :psyduck:

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

THAT'S NOT PHILOSOPHY YOU HACKS! IT'S JUST AN EQUATION!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That's a really lovely haiku :h:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Energy is all
It does not go, but changes
-The Albert Einstein

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This sort of effect is especially irritating on YouTube, where thumb-downs are just as helpful as thumb-ups for search ranking. So, if you click the link with the intent of thumbing down and poo poo-talking pewpewpie in the comments, you've given him +1 pageview, +1 thumb, and +1 comment, which are all beneficial.

Sorry to bring this back, but is this seriously true? Because that's genuinely pretty lovely. If downrating a video s exactly the same to the algorithm as uprating it, what's even the point of having it as a site feature? It's not to make it factor less into what Youtube recommends for you, since it still throws completely irrelevant crap at me no matter what.

If there's no difference between which thumb you click on a video, then literally the only use for the thumbs-down button is to keep clips of the Neutrals from Futurama mildly entertaining.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Picnic Princess posted:

That's a really lovely haiku :h:

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Cleretic posted:

Sorry to bring this back, but is this seriously true? Because that's genuinely pretty lovely. If downrating a video s exactly the same to the algorithm as uprating it, what's even the point of having it as a site feature? It's not to make it factor less into what Youtube recommends for you, since it still throws completely irrelevant crap at me no matter what.

If there's no difference between which thumb you click on a video, then literally the only use for the thumbs-down button is to keep clips of the Neutrals from Futurama mildly entertaining.

My understanding is a youtuber mainly earns money from number of views, and a person's "viewing session", which is if you keep clicking the recommended videos after the video is done. A video doesn't gain a view for someone opening then immediately closing it, a certain amount of the video has to be watched to count as a view.

As far as I know, comments, likes and dislikes have zero influence on how much someone earns. Heavily disliked videos can still be worth a ton of money if they are still raking in the views. Youtubers encourage people to like and comment on videos, because it makes their videos more likely to show up in youtube's recommendations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I just had Facebook recommend this page to me:

I am not diabetic and the closest thing to "scene" I like or follow is a single Glam Rock/Hair Metal page. :psyduck:

I lost the screencap of it but once Facebook showed me an ad with something to the effect of "Are sex offenders living withing .1 miles of you?! Click here to find out!" I think it was because I was in the Podtoid facebook group but I have no goddamn clue.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tracula posted:

I lost the screencap of it but once Facebook showed me an ad with something to the effect of "Are sex offenders living withing .1 miles of you?! Click here to find out!" I think it was because I was in the Podtoid facebook group but I have no goddamn clue.
These dating sites just keep getting more and more specific.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Which until now were mutually exclusive!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wrong thread.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cleretic posted:

Slowbeef explained it in a Retsutalk podcast a few months ago. The thumbs are used to help calculate where videos show up in search results and recommendations. I assume the thought is if a video is lovely or interesting enough motivate someone to thumb it, they think other people will probably want to see it, too, so it rises higher in search rankings and shows up more often in recommendations.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

belt posted:

Which until now were mutually exclusive!

To be fair, most Nazis are mammals

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

kannonfodder posted:

youtube's recommendations.
The general idea is that the more videos you like and dislike, the more accurate your recommendations will be. We built recommendation software at my workplace, it's usually a combination of algorithms, not just based on like/dislike. Youtube just wants its users to stay on their site as long as possible, whether videos are enjoyed isn't the only factor. Consider many people click "dislike" when they mean "disagree". Vids that are controversial/incite anger get clicks, just look at the Daily Mail. So you still want to recommend these.

It might also include factors such as having added a video to your favorites or personal playlists. Having a video be more recent may also make it more likely to be recommended. On top of that I think Youtube intentionally promotes certain videos completely separate from this algorithm, and is not always completely candid about it.

:goonsay:

Content: Finally found an idiot on my Facebook.
:ironicat: (RO is an old MMO)

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

It seems like every book I read is either pro nipples AND pro Nazis or anti Nazis AND anti nipples. Finally, a book that's in tune with my unique worldview!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I just don't get this at all.

cage-free egghead has a new favorite as of 13:30 on Oct 8, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Lblitzer posted:

Feel good macro for people with self esteem issues looking to excuse their poo poo behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Lblitzer posted:

Probably because you actually try to get along with people rather than be a gigantic drama queen baby who is hated by everyone you know.

• Locked thread