Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Disco Infiva posted:

Austria cannot form Austria-Hungary if Hungary exists. You can use liberate country CB for Hungary and free people CB for Croatia in Dalmatia and Galicia-Lodomeria in Galicia. Sardinia-Piedmont will take care of Lombardia and Venetia and voila! No more Austrian Empire in less than 20 years, right at the time to click that form Germany button.

Austria will accept annexation if it's in your sphere and it doesn't have any non core territory.

Yeah, I guess that's what I should have done in retrospect, but I didn't realize they'd form Austria-Hungary as soon as I formed the NGF. I also didn't realize that there was no way at all to annex Austria-Hungary (I figured there would be some way to annex only the German parts, especially since I had to fight an event-caused war just to keep them in my sphere of influence) until I looked it up. In retrospect maybe I should have just forced them to release Hungary even after they formed Austria-Hungary, since I assume that that would have dissolved the union the same way conquering Vienna did.

Sardinia-Piedmont/Italy really dropped the ball, though. They invaded Austria-Hungary to take Venice... and ended up giving back Lombardia instead. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Speaking of NNM and V2, what do I need to do to make Carlist Spain glorious again? It's 1850, and on the plus side I have plenty of money, I've managed to hold onto all my territory, get a decent sphere going and added a few African colonies. I just don't have the population to do much of anything though. 19% literacy, barely any soldiers (20 regiments) and nobody to work my factories. I've mainly been focusing on getting clergymen (2,07% now), should I aim for 4% in each state?

Edit: These Christino events are really loving annoying. Can't the ungrateful wretches just accept that the rightful king is on the throne?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If you're at 19% literacy then you're right before POPs will start promoting to craftsmen on their own, so you should see some not-insignificant industrial growth in the near future.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Apoffys posted:

Speaking of NNM and V2, what do I need to do to make Carlist Spain glorious again? It's 1850, and on the plus side I have plenty of money, I've managed to hold onto all my territory, get a decent sphere going and added a few African colonies. I just don't have the population to do much of anything though. 19% literacy, barely any soldiers (20 regiments) and nobody to work my factories. I've mainly been focusing on getting clergymen (2,07% now), should I aim for 4% in each state?

Edit: These Christino events are really loving annoying. Can't the ungrateful wretches just accept that the rightful king is on the throne?

I don't think you "get" Spain during the mid-19th to early-20th century era. Carlist fuckers wouldn't let their claims to the throne go until Franco told them to gently caress off, and even then there's still folks beating that drum to this day.

And yeah, I usually aim for 4%. Be extra-mindful of your most populous states. You've got a pretty good clergymen rate going already, so you should start seeing literacy rates balloon and craftsmen looking for work.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Make sure you grab the +education efficiency techs as well. Biologism especially has the Darwinism invention that gives a massive +50% boost to it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

What exactly have you colonized?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Not much really, waiting for the scramble for Africa. Sphered Portugal, Egypt, Morocco, Sokoto, Benin, Dahomey, Mossi and Sulu. Trying to grab West Java from the Dutch, but the Russians are being difficult (war leader) and having the entire Netherlands occupied is completely irrelevant because the Russians just don't care if the Dutch suffer.

Edit: Added a "release puppet" war goal on the Russians, which let me peace out with the Netherlands separately (grabbing all of Java). Now I just need to convince the Russians to end the war somehow...

Apoffys fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 7, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I don't think you "get" Spain during the mid-19th to early-20th century era. Carlist fuckers wouldn't let their claims to the throne go until Franco told them to gently caress off, and even then there's still folks beating that drum to this day.

He is Carlist Spain though.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Farecoal posted:

He is Carlist Spain though.

What I meant to say is that if the Carlists weren't willing to give up the ghost for at least a century, it follows that the other Bourbon lines would also be that irritating to deal with.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So what was the big announcement they made on October 3rd?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

So what was the big announcement they made on October 3rd?

Big-rear end sale. I got all the expansions I was missing and then some for less than $20.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I got CK2 plus all DLC for 40 bucks.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

What I meant to say is that if the Carlists weren't willing to give up the ghost for at least a century, it follows that the other Bourbon lines would also be that irritating to deal with.

Really? Carlism was an actual mass movement, built up over time, whose supporters were from all over the social hierarchy though the greatest of their numbers came from peasants and workers, especially those from the Catholic trade unions, and their cause was more than just placing Don Carlos and his line on the throne but had a whole tradionalist and regionalist thing to it as well.
There probably would have been some hardcore supporters of whoever the Carlists would have deposed if they had won out, but such such large scale popular mobilization as the Carlists managed would not at all be a given and is not simply something that could be co-opted by the losers in such a scenario.

e: They also had some very good paramilitay forces at their disposal, their militias were basically the only forces on the nationalist side in the civil war apart from the African soldiers and foreign soldiers who weren't completely loving terrible.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 7, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Martello posted:

I got CK2 plus all DLC for 40 bucks.

I impulse-bought the HoI 3 DLC even though I'm not sure if I'll ever play it. I'm... not very smart.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I don't mind so much the low-level, protracted civil war that just won't end. It's fairly realistic, or at least somewhat plausible, for there to be long-term trouble from a coup. I'd prefer it if there was some sort of gameplay mechanic that implemented that for all nations and which you could interact with, rather than historical railroading through events for one specific country, but that's not going to happen.

What I don't like is that I, as a player, seem to have absolutely no influence on it. There's a constant barrage of events adding or removing the "Christino rebels" modifier from provinces, and it doesn't seem to matter in the least whether I have troops in those provinces or not. There just doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it, except ignore it completely and send in the troops if they ever manage to actually rise up (happened 3-4 times already, and they're getting steadily weaker).

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Rincewind posted:

I impulse-bought the HoI 3 DLC even though I'm not sure if I'll ever play it. I'm... not very smart.

I found out I was missing Their Finest Hour then decided to not buy it. I could install HoI3 and let it run just for the steam cards but I can't bring myself to ever play that turd again.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Rincewind posted:

The only problem I have is that for some reason I can't manipulate any of the buttons in the CK2 launcher so Sunrise Invasion is enabled even though I don't want it to be. :mad:

I also have to change to a lower resolution and then back to 2560x to get the launcher to go to the center of my desktop so I can actually click "play." It's really annoying.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Randarkman posted:

Really? Carlism was an actual mass movement, built up over time, whose supporters were from all over the social hierarchy though the greatest of their numbers came from peasants and workers, especially those from the Catholic trade unions, and their cause was more than just placing Don Carlos and his line on the throne but had a whole tradionalist and regionalist thing to it as well.
There probably would have been some hardcore supporters of whoever the Carlists would have deposed if they had won out, but such such large scale popular mobilization as the Carlists managed would not at all be a given and is not simply something that could be co-opted by the losers in such a scenario.

e: They also had some very good paramilitay forces at their disposal, their militias were basically the only forces on the nationalist side in the civil war apart from the African soldiers and foreign soldiers who weren't completely loving terrible.
Good point. Still, in these games that deal with insane hypothetical situations, I don't think having a different monarchist movement gaining some sort of popular support would be out of the question if they played their cards right politically. Not to say that it would have actually happened if the Carlists had won irl--like you said, it probably wouldn't have--but for the purposes of a Paradox game I think it'd work.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Martello posted:

The only problem I have is that for some reason I can't manipulate any of the buttons in the CK2 launcher so Sunrise Invasion is enabled even though I don't want it to be. :mad:

I also have to change to a lower resolution and then back to 2560x to get the launcher to go to the center of my desktop so I can actually click "play." It's really annoying.

Delete My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\settings.txt

Edit: Posting Mods on the steam workshop is a pain in the rear end please make it better like Civ5, thanks.

Riso fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 7, 2014

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Riso posted:

Delete My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\settings.txt

Thanks, I'll try that.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Martello posted:

Steam Library->Right-click on CK2->View Downloadable Content->Uncheck Sunset Invasion

Should theoretically uninstall the DLC and thus circumvent your problem, but I haven't tried it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rincewind posted:

i hope they were cheap, the hoi 3 collection with everything was $5 on bundlestars last month

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Martello posted:

Thanks, I'll try that.

I tried it, and it re-created the file when I started the loader. This time settings.txt showed the proper resolution, but the loader still appears in the bottom-right corner of the screen and I have the same problem as before. I even reinstalled just in case the free trial version I started with was loving with it or something.

Apoffys posted:

Steam Library->Right-click on CK2->View Downloadable Content->Uncheck Sunset Invasion

Should theoretically uninstall the DLC and thus circumvent your problem, but I haven't tried it.

Duh. Thanks.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Apoffys posted:

I don't mind so much the low-level, protracted civil war that just won't end. It's fairly realistic, or at least somewhat plausible, for there to be long-term trouble from a coup. I'd prefer it if there was some sort of gameplay mechanic that implemented that for all nations and which you could interact with, rather than historical railroading through events for one specific country, but that's not going to happen.

What I don't like is that I, as a player, seem to have absolutely no influence on it. There's a constant barrage of events adding or removing the "Christino rebels" modifier from provinces, and it doesn't seem to matter in the least whether I have troops in those provinces or not. There just doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it, except ignore it completely and send in the troops if they ever manage to actually rise up (happened 3-4 times already, and they're getting steadily weaker).

That's pretty much the problem with mods - everything has to be kludged through events and decisions so it's all very clunky. There are three choices, really; to have no problems post-coup, to have a simple and player-agnostic system like it is currently, or to have some ungodly string of hundreds of events to make player choice a variable. Given that Spain is just one nation that isn't even particularly important in the Victorian period I think it's fair enough that the NNM guy went with the second, though like you said it's annoying. This is why we need Victoria 3, Paradox!! :argh:

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
It's fair enough that making a decent non-event based system isn't possible, and that Spain isn't important enough to get great event-chains (event chains are usually terrible anyway). I just think it would be better to have a single event that affected the entire country, rather than hundreds of provincial events, especially when there isn't a damned thing I can do about the events. This is true for many events in V2 though, both those added by mods and in the base game. I don't even know if these events are added by NNM, because I've never played Spain before.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Playing the Ottoman Empire in the NNM and why the heck did Walchalia and Moldavia become Romania and part of Russia's sphere of influence without any event on my end?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Yo anybody got some mad tips on reforming Byz in Vicky 2? Especially regarding gaming the crisis system so I can get all my territory earlier, I managed in my previous attempt but I was nowhere near being a GP by the end game (I had around half the point of the 8th GP).

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

In HoI3- is there ever a good reason to research a technology or technologies before its "maturity" year? Either a tech that's so good it's worth grinding out as fast as possible, or a certain strategy or total level of leadership etc etc...?

Edit- like if I'm a minor power and I'm trying to stay focused on a very limited set of military tools (infantry, interceptors, cruisers) should I try for 1938/39 techs in 37', or should I just diversify my tech tree?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 8, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

In HoI3- is there ever a good reason to research a technology or technologies before its "maturity" year? Either a tech that's so good it's worth grinding out as fast as possible, or a certain strategy or total level of leadership etc etc...?

Edit- like if I'm a minor power and I'm trying to stay focused on a very limited set of military tools (infantry, interceptors, cruisers) should I try for 1938/39 techs in 37', or should I just diversify my tech tree?

Most of the time you shouldn't research a tech ahead of it's time because the gains are too minuscule compared to the time it takes. Exceptions are if you really have nothing else to research or don't need officers or when you play as Japan in an unmodded game because holy loving poo poo all of those tech modifiers add up and you can research pretty much anything way the gently caress ahead of schedule. Other exceptions might be stuff like the rocketry and atomic techs if you really, really want jet planes and nukes because you have to wait forever otherwise, just remember to research the theory techs otherwise it'll take even longer.

Speaking of which, unless you're playing the Historical Plausibility Project, never research theory techs for anything other than rockets/jets and nukes. The benefits are too small, you don't research them much faster than the techs they modify and on top of that the techs they modify also increase the theory anyway. There might be a few other circumstances where you want to research theory, but right now I literally can't think of any other than what I already said.

EDIT:
Seriously, once you own the Chihli Gulf, Taiwain strait and Gulf of Tonkin you have an extra 40% research efficiency, and that's before you factor in techs. Great for crushing filthy gaijin who dare challenge the Greater Japanese Empire :japan:
(Multipliers are additive in Paradox games, right? I honestly don't remember.)

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 8, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Most of the time you shouldn't research a tech ahead of it's time because the gains are too minuscule compared to the time it takes. Exceptions are if you really have nothing else to research or don't need officers or when you play as Japan in an unmodded game because holy loving poo poo all of those tech modifiers add up and you can research pretty much anything way the gently caress ahead of schedule. Other exceptions might be stuff like the rocketry and atomic techs if you really, really want jet planes and nukes because you have to wait forever otherwise, just remember to research the theory techs otherwise it'll take even longer.

Speaking of which, unless you're playing the Historical Plausibility Project, never research theory techs for anything other than rockets/jets and nukes. The benefits are too small, you don't research them much faster than the techs they modify and on top of that the techs they modify also increase the theory anyway. There might be a few other circumstances where you want to research theory, but right now I literally can't think of any other than what I already said.

Gracias. I'm trying another run as Republican Spain to see if I can derail the Nazis taking France (I imagine it won't go well because France probably won't do anything after a point and England may sit on its hands) and trying to just focus on infantry and anti-tank to slow down the assault, interceptors to try and neutralize any bonus they're getting from the luftwaffe, and organization doctrines so I can actually stay in a fight.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Why is Switzerland in Victoria II 100% Swiss?

Shouldn't they be like 73% Swiss_German, 21% French, and 6% Italian?

Game balance? :shrug: It's not like Switzerland doesn't get sphered by France and involved in big wars anyways?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Don Gato posted:

If I have extra leadership left after I start researching literally everything I want to research that I'm not already ahead of date on, my spy reserves are sufficient, and I have enough officers, I'll research theory techs. They don't provide much benefit, but if you've literally got nothing else worth spending leadership points on, "not much benefit" is still better than just wasting the points completely.

Researching ahead of date is okay, though, as long as you only go a few months ahead. That's because the ahead-of-time penalty is removed on January 1st of the proper year, and since the penalty for ahead-of-time research is applied by increasing the amount of research points needed to finish the tech, you end up not actually being penalized for the few months of early research.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

If I have extra leadership left after I start researching literally everything I want to research that I'm not already ahead of date on, my spy reserves are sufficient, and I have enough officers, I'll research theory techs. They don't provide much benefit, but if you've literally got nothing else worth spending leadership points on, "not much benefit" is still better than just wasting the points completely.

Researching ahead of date is okay, though, as long as you only go a few months ahead. That's because the ahead-of-time penalty is removed on January 1st of the proper year, and since the penalty for ahead-of-time research is applied by increasing the amount of research points needed to finish the tech, you end up not actually being penalized for the few months of early research.

So if it's November 1937 and the tech is listed as 1938, it'll look like I'm taking XX day additional penalty to research it, but come 1/1/38 that XX penalty will be subtracted from the total days left? Good to know.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

So if it's November 1937 and the tech is listed as 1938, it'll look like I'm taking XX day additional penalty to research it, but come 1/1/38 that XX penalty will be subtracted from the total days left? Good to know.

Yeah - if the tech takes 600 days to research one year early, and you put 200 days into it, then come January the research time will probably drop to 300 days or something like that - but the 200 days you put into it will be unaffected, meaning that your progress just jumped from 33% to 66%. If you had 400 days of research put into it on Dec 31, then on Jan 1 the tech will complete and the extra 100 days will be put toward the next level.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
That's not how it works, you get a penalty to researching that tech and the size of the penalty is determined by how many days to when it's supposed to be researched. Thus the penalty gets gradually smaller until Jan 1st of whatever the listed year is when it hits 0 and research at normal speed.

E: of course the tech system was completely changed :doh:

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 8, 2014

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Game balance? :shrug: It's not like Switzerland doesn't get sphered by France and involved in big wars anyways?

Culture is not just language, and the napoleonic wars have happened which means the common swiss identity of "jesus gently caress getting involved with other people's business is deadly" has started to form if my recollection of basic swiss history is correct.

vvv yes the system doesn't represent the identity well but that's not cause to claim it hadn't started to exist.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 8, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

reignonyourparade posted:

Culture is not just language, and the napoleonic wars have happened which means the common swiss identity of "jesus gently caress getting involved with other people's business is deadly" has started to form if my recollection of basic swiss history is correct.

But that doesn't really apply to Vic II since the Swiss get embroiled in wars like any other nation. That being so, I don't see why their POPs shouldn't be valid targets for German or French conquest, nor why pan-nationalist Frenchmen in Geneva or pan-nationalist Germans in Zurich can't raise up.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Apoffys posted:

Not going Carlist has similar issues, with non-stop events that cost you prestige and turn POPs reactionary. I've found that these end if you form Iberia though (presumably they target the SPA tag), which should mean that the Cristino events should also stop if you do that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Don Gato posted:

(Multipliers are additive in Paradox games, right? I honestly don't remember.)

Yes, and it drives me up the loving wall. I could write a whole lot of :words: on why its a terrible idea, but I'm in a hurry, so:

What is the actual % gain from researching the last philosophy tech in V2? Or, to put it another way, how much faster will you research with it compared to without it?

Well, at this point you have all the previous research techs, so you've already got a research modifier of 1 + .5 + .5 + .5 + 1 + 1 = 4.5. And by this point were into the 20th century, so you should probably have 100% plurality; that's another +2, for a total of 6.5. Anti-Rationalism itself is another +1, so it's:

7.5 / 6.5 = 1.15385, or a 15% gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think it's just because the different language groups never got conquered/liberated by one of the cultural unions historically, so it's Paradox's way of railroading the game's outcome.

• Locked thread