Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Bear Senpai added a new image of the highest quality

Also they're at over 50% funding. Something else I noticed,

Cool, it's an ideas guy kickstarter. I also don't get why they're so stubborn on needing Unity. If the targets are only OSX, Win, Ouya..Renpy does all those. For free. Hell they did the fuckin' 'prototype' (again, three whole lines of script to show the bg, sprite and a single text line) in it.

I'm thinking way too hard on this. gently caress you, Kickstarter.
Hell, you can do all those in Unity for free, unless you plan on needing any of the Pro features (yeah right) or exceeding $100,000 yearly profit (yeah right).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
That art style is terrible. Even generic furry art would look better and probably get it a shitload of money if that furry gender bender dating sim/the entirety of Offbeatr is any indication.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That art style is terrible. Even generic furry art would look better and probably get it a shitload of money if that furry gender bender dating sim/the entirety of Offbeatr is any indication.

You are mistaking any aspect of this project as a creative choice. The 'art' is what it is because they saw Hatoful Boyfriend on steam for the first time and decided they could raise money for "This, but bears."

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Isn't a large part of Kickstarter just about cashing in on popular things, like "this....but for iphones"?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

bespoke artesenal zombie steampunk 3d-printed iphone dating sim

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
via YKS

Dude gets 12 times the funding for a dry erase board and is now asking for more
http://valleywag.gawker.com/kickstarter-dude-i-spent-all-your-money-please-give-m-1641754663

Comment section is full of buyer's remorse
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/letterforms/letterforms-dry-erase-notebook/comments

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Alan Smithee posted:

via YKS

Dude gets 12 times the funding for a dry erase board and is now asking for more
http://valleywag.gawker.com/kickstarter-dude-i-spent-all-your-money-please-give-m-1641754663

Comment section is full of buyer's remorse
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/letterforms/letterforms-dry-erase-notebook/comments

And of course the product already exists in a non-Kickstarter form: http://www.wipebook.com/products/wipebook-2-0

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
What the gently caress is the point of a dry erase notebook. Do you really need 40 pages of infinitely reusable writing surface?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Isn't a large part of Kickstarter just about cashing in on popular things, like "this....but for iphones"?

That is the majority of games and tech companies anyway. "It's like Tinder... but for cats!" "It's kind of Tiny Tower mixed with Call of Duty" "It's a retro 8-bit Titanfall, but with IAP" is how most pitches start.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Two former Irrational Games teams have launched two kickstarters in as many days. I'm linking them mostly for the hilarious Gamer Entitlement on display from people who apparently think that when you get laid off after your studio closes you're given a ton of money to make your new game and not just unceremoniously dumped with almost no compensation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pathetic little tramp posted:

What the gently caress is the point of a dry erase notebook. Do you really need 40 pages of infinitely reusable writing surface?

These are the same people that would buy Spinal Tap's special amps.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

As part of my job, I draw a ton of charts, diagrams, and graphs. Just back-of-the-napkin things when I'm laying out an idea for an analysis plan for my boss for instance. It's helpful to have a dry erase board so I can both write in multiple colors and make edits as I go easily. Pencil and paper work ok for erasing, but I like having color as it helps me clarify things. Also honestly I actually like the feel of writing with dry erase markers more than anything.

That being said, I have a dry erase board on my wall that I use. I guess if I were traveling or in a situation where I didn't have a dry erase board, being able to have something I could pull out and write on would be nice.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rosalind posted:

As part of my job, I draw a ton of charts, diagrams, and graphs. Just back-of-the-napkin things when I'm laying out an idea for an analysis plan for my boss for instance. It's helpful to have a dry erase board so I can both write in multiple colors and make edits as I go easily. Pencil and paper work ok for erasing, but I like having color as it helps me clarify things. Also honestly I actually like the feel of writing with dry erase markers more than anything.

That being said, I have a dry erase board on my wall that I use. I guess if I were traveling or in a situation where I didn't have a dry erase board, being able to have something I could pull out and write on would be nice.

Even then, aren't tablets and capacitive pens getting ubiquitous enough to just do it that way? There's certainly enough “apps for that” to cover every conceivable need.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Rosalind posted:

I guess if I were traveling or in a situation where I didn't have a dry erase board, being able to have something I could pull out and write on would be nice.

* Portable!Available in a wide range of sizes - fits in your pocket or covers your coffee table!
* Compatible with all writing implements! Pen, paper or paint - you can use it with NoteBook®!
* Fully recyclable!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Tippis posted:

Even then, aren't tablets and capacitive pens getting ubiquitous enough to just do it that way? There's certainly enough “apps for that” to cover every conceivable need.

Yeah I suppose. Again, I don't have one and wouldn't buy one, but I was trying to show how someone might like one.

DoctorTristan posted:

* Portable!Available in a wide range of sizes - fits in your pocket or covers your coffee table!
* Compatible with all writing implements! Pen, paper or paint - you can use it with NoteBook®!
* Fully recyclable!

You ignored my entire first paragraph about why I prefer dry erase to paper in certain situations. Nice going.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Rosalind posted:

Yeah I suppose. Again, I don't have one and wouldn't buy one, but I was trying to show how someone might like one.
Fair enough. It certainly has a (literal) buy-in to it that the good old analogue means don't, but from personal experience, that exact use case is actually what transformed by first purchase from “let's blow some money on silly toys” to “oh no, I forgot it at home”.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

DoctorTristan posted:

* Fully recyclable!

Not ironic enough. Make it a giant rectangular useless lump of plastic and you've got a deal, pal.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rosalind posted:

Whiteboards on walls are great but handheld whiteboard tablets are super useful in a number of ways, particularly in academic and education settings. And having a few pages available to work with would be a plus- though 40 pages' worth is definitely excessive.

Edit: I left this post open for a while before submitting it, so I didn't see any of the new ones. Are people seriously incapable of imagining a scenario where a handheld whiteboard or booklet of such surfaces might 1) be a useful tool and 2) make more sense than a paper notebook or tablet computer? :psyduck:

I understand that the point of this thread has always been to get into pissing contests over exactly how ridiculous we find a given thing to be, but some of these posts come off as though the goons behind them have never stepped inside of a classroom, to say nothing of the 50 billion other places where people use whiteboards.

trilobite terror has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Oct 8, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Whiteboards on walls are great but handheld whiteboard tablets are super useful in a number of ways, particularly in academic and education settings. And having a few pages available to work with would be a plus- though 40 pages' worth is definitely excessive.

Edit: I left this post open for a while before submitting it, so I didn't see any of the new ones. Are people seriously incapable of imagining a scenario where a handheld whiteboard or booklet of such surfaces might 1) be a useful tool and 2) make more sense than a paper notebook or tablet computer? :psyduck:

I understand that the point of this thread has always been to get into pissing contests over exactly how ridiculous we find a given thing to be, but some of these posts come off as though the goons behind them have never stepped inside of a classroom, to say nothing of the 50 billion other places where people use whiteboards.

I can certainly see the advantage over paper, but I would completely flip your incredulity on the matter if tablets: are you seriously unable to see the scenario where a tablet can do everything a handheld whiteboard can, and more? Again, add in a proper pen and even a very simple note board app (in fact, arguably, the simpler the better) and you replicate the usage completely.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
replacing a simple reliable real world object by an app on a loving tablet is exactly the kind of thing I expect from kickstarter actually

"hey guys all my notes are illegible because we're outside and there's, you know, sunlight"

"lol nevermind there's nothing to read because the battery is dead"

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Oct 8, 2014

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Indeed, I imagine there are people who can note take / sketch with digital tools but for me its always a substandard replacement for the physical. There's zero learning curve, no friction of a UI, just ideas you wanna slap onto a page. This is especially true when its mixed notes with drawings, graphs and text. Its sort of why digital mind mapping tools are a bit poo poo compared to doing it by hand, and far less engaging.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maluco Marinero posted:

Indeed, I imagine there are people who can note take / sketch with digital tools but for me its always a substandard replacement for the physical. There's zero learning curve, no friction of a UI

That's true for us but it might be the opposite for the next generation who will have all grown up using smart technology their entire lives. Using tablets will be completely second nature to them.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Maluco Marinero posted:

Indeed, I imagine there are people who can note take / sketch with digital tools but for me its always a substandard replacement for the physical. There's zero learning curve, no friction of a UI, just ideas you wanna slap onto a page. This is especially true when its mixed notes with drawings, graphs and text. Its sort of why digital mind mapping tools are a bit poo poo compared to doing it by hand, and far less engaging.

I think you guys might be underestimating (or, perhaps more accurately, overestimating) what these notepad apps do. The learning curve and UI friction is the same as a piece of paper: you take your pen, and you write on the surface available. That's it. :raise:

It sounds like you are imagining some grossly feature-creeped Java app from the '90s, with tons of “special tools” hidden in umpteen different menus. We've moved far beyond those atrocities by now.

unpacked robinhood posted:

"hey guys all my notes are illegible because we're outside and there's, you know, sunlight"

Funnily enough, neither of those are actual problems that occur.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood posted:

replacing a simple reliable real world object by an app on a loving tablet is exactly the kind of thing I expect from kickstarter actually

"lol look at those hipster fedora pua neckbeards taking their notes on computers when everybody knows the old methods are best"

-runs out of paper while the people with computers have every note they've ever taken with them at all time-

-spills coffee on notebook and loses everything while the people with computers can access their Dropbox from literally anywhere at any time no matter what happens to their computer-

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's true for us but it might be the opposite for the next generation who will have all grown up using smart technology their entire lives. Using tablets will be completely second nature to them.

Yeah if you've set foot in a college lecture hall in the past 5 years you'd know that almost everybody takes their notes on computers now.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Oct 8, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tippis posted:

Funnily enough, neither of those are actual problems that occur.

You have a tablet that never runs out of battery life? When does your Kickstarter start?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jedit posted:

You have a tablet that never runs out of battery life?

Not never, no, but I have one that has yet to run out at an inopportune moment.

It's no different than remembering to have ink in (or for) your pens and lead for your pencils. If it's important, you learn to remember it. :shrug:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Jedit posted:

You have a tablet that never runs out of battery life? When does your Kickstarter start?

It's a tablet with PV panels on the back. It does require you to point it upwards at all times in order to work but
"True thinkers should always be looking to the skies and above"

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Ha everyone should just get an Epiphany onE Puck and charge their tablets using their beverage!!!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

-runs out of paper

-spills coffee on notebook and loses everything

"There's got to be a better way !"

I'm famous, give me 390,000$ and get a "The world's first selfie compact camera." at the 349$ slot, camera otherwise nondescript.

Give me 500$ and I'll take selfies in europe

quote:

All funds go directly to support European travel to historic and environmental landmarks in order to create the European Selfie Tour Selfie Anthology, a collection of carefully-framed photos from around the globe as well as memoirs.

e: lol the photography section is a graveyard of idiots asking for free stuff

Grow my photography
she wants 2000$:

yeah different lenses will fix that trainwreck

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Oct 8, 2014

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Mostly, but not quite. Studies have shown that kids may really get to intuitively understand tablets and stuff but still do better with physical paper.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah if you've set foot in a college lecture hall in the past 5 years you'd know that almost everybody takes their notes on computers now.

My chem class doesn't allow it and in my geology class there is one girl who does (mostly just looking at websites).

I am all for technology, but its not "Lol, people still using books." In basically all my classes its people using paper.

For content, have a photography book celebrating goths, by the single most milquetoast guy ever. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/328447734/beyond-the-pale-0?ref=category_recommended

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tippis posted:

I can certainly see the advantage over paper, but I would completely flip your incredulity on the matter if tablets: are you seriously unable to see the scenario where a tablet can do everything a handheld whiteboard can, and more?

Not at all. I myself have a tablet that I use for work all the time in much the same way that you describe.

But there are tons of situations where a tablet isn't feasible- either due to cost, relative fragility, or both.

For example, if I were a public school math teacher, whiteboards would probably be a way better and more affordable option for certain classroom activities than a bunch of iPads.

And from my own experience, a bunch of small whiteboard folios would've been a welcome addition to group study sessions when I was taking organic chemistry in college. We'd go through literally reams of paper per night.

And you (strange, strange) guys arguing about notebooks are right in saying that almost everything in college is done on computers these days, but I'd go out on a limb and say that:
1) most undergrads don't have a touch-enabled laptop or a separate tablet.
2) there are classes where note-taking on a computer device of any kind just isn't feasible. Again, organic chem lectures where a professor is tossing up 5 reaction diagrams a minute are the perfect example.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tippis posted:

Not never, no, but I have one that has yet to run out at an inopportune moment.

It's no different than remembering to have ink in (or for) your pens and lead for your pencils. If it's important, you learn to remember it. :shrug:

Free Clue: not everywhere has consistent electricity.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

It does with my artisanal, hand-crafted hand-crank generator. Made of teak wood and manually spun copper coils, only $250 pledge today.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jedit posted:

Everywhere I go. And pretty much everywhere someone who's the target audience for that kind of stuff goes too.
Free clue back: not everywhere has new pens for sale, or leads of the right size, or a pencil sharpener, so congratulations, going luddite has created the exact same problem.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Not at all. I myself have a tablet that I use for work all the time in much the same way that you describe.

But there are tons of situations where a tablet isn't feasible- either due to cost, relative fragility, or both.

For example, if I were a public school math teacher, whiteboards would probably be a way better and more affordable option for certain classroom activities than a bunch of iPads.

And from my own experience, a bunch of small whiteboard folios would've been a welcome addition to group study sessions when I was taking organic chemistry in college. We'd go through literally reams of paper per night.

And you (strange, strange) guys arguing about notebooks are right in saying that almost everything in college is done on computers these days, but I'd go out on a limb and say that:
1) most undergrads don't have a touch-enabled laptop or a separate tablet.
2) there are classes where note-taking on a computer device of any kind just isn't feasible. Again, organic chem lectures where a professor is tossing up 5 reaction diagrams a minute are the perfect example.
Sure, the cost and fragility I see. But again, the OrgChem example you bring up is a spectacularly good use-case for a tablet exactly because of its almost identical usage compared to the old pen-and-paper method: you just draw, write, and annotate in increasingly minute script like you would anywhere else.

As for spread, meh, maybe. I'm seeing a fairly equal split among my students (this is not in chemistry, though) between those who use tablets, those who use computers and those who use paper… (and of course, that unmentionable group that take no notes whatsoever for some unknown reason). If anything, it's the pens that are the missing piece of the puzzle rather than the actual devices. :D

The only drawback I've come across is that I can't read my own handwriting, but that wouldn't change if I used white boards or papers anyway…

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I think comparing "not having a reliable power source" to "not having a spare pen" is pretty disingenuous.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
And now for some good Kickstarter news: On Sale at Last: Kano, the Charming Kit for Building Your Own Computer

quote:

The last time we wrote about Kano, the London company was in the middle of blowing through its $100,000 Kickstarter goal, on its way to raising $1.5 million. It’s since shipped 18,000 of its DIY computer kits to early supporters, and as of yesterday, you can buy your own.

For those of you unfamiliar with Kano, here’s a little refresher: The company, started by Alex Klein, Yonatan Raz-Fridman and Saul Klein, makes kits that give kids (and adults) components to build their own computer. The kit is comprised of a single Raspberry Pi board, a wireless keyboard, a dongle, some cables and a memory card that comes with the Kano operating system.

The idea is that kids will take these components and construct their own computer that they attach to a monitor. Storybooks will guide them through the process, also teaching them how to code within the Kano OS. They’ll be able to make a wireless server, reprogram Minecraft to build custom worlds, create music and even just word-process. The main point being, of course, that they do all of this on a computer they built themselves.

This is seriously one of the coolest things for kids I've seen in a while.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tippis posted:

Everywhere I go. And pretty much everywhere someone who's the target audience for that kind of stuff goes too.
Free clue back: not everywhere has new pens for sale, or leads of the right size, or a pencil sharpener, so congratulations, going luddite has created the exact same problem.

Colleges tend to have open outlets, WiFi and reliable power sources. That's who their marketing this to, to college students.

I've been in some college buildings that have available outlets but no available pencil sharpeners.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Poking into the local technology kickstarters gives much less stupid and crazy than I expected.

The Solution For Pollution
Not only is it the cure for air pollution but it is ALSO the cure for global warming, all for only $8,000!

quote:

I began this project 15 years ago when I became aware of the pollution problem the world is facing. I created this solution unfortunately it fell on deaf ears and the project has been shelved ever since. We want to use this opportunity to recreate a real updated model city as well as 3D model rendition using the latest computer software. We will present the finished idea to as many corporations and governments of the world as possible.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

I dunno dude, this is a pretty sweet Purification chamber jet streams simulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
The latest fusion of fashion and functionality with external cat ear speakers and LED lights.

quote:

Axent Wear was started by two UC Berkeley alumni with an idea. An idea for some really great, unique headphones that had never been pioneered before. Or at least, not like this. Presenting Axent Wear, glowing, badass headphones that let you blast your music and express your style.

Guys, let's put external speakers on top of headphones! We're surely not missing the purpose of headphones!