Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
People who post "I don't care what you think about me" macros are either insufferable assholes or teens/college girls who like to pretend people hate them when really we just ignore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
She definitely falls into category 2. Here's a good bit from her twitter where she's equally insufferable:

Oct 1
I need a drink or five.... 🍺

Oct 2
Never drinking again 😷 #doneson

Oct 5
I just wanna drink.

22h 22 hours ago
A test every single day this week... I will be doing some much needed drinking when this week is over 🍻 #beerme

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Deltasquid posted:

People who post "I don't care what you think about me" macros are either insufferable assholes or teens/college girls who like to pretend people hate them when really we just ignore them.

The middle-aged equivalent seems to be macros about how the person and/or their entire family are so wacky/crazy/InSaNe!!!

Pretty much every woman I know over 45ish posts something weekly about how they're the black sheeps of the family, either jokingly or not, because they're just so goddamn eccentric / out of control, when they're really all just completely boring people living normal lives.

Here's some actual content from my roommate's sister. She's a doctor. That treats patients.

You got it Doc! Anxiety disorders are a direct result of you being such a strong, brave person! Also some completely made up stats :downs:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It seems like such a simple idea but no one seems to understand that if everyone "hates you for being the real you" it probably means you're a poo poo person.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It seems like such a simple idea but no one seems to understand that if everyone "hates you for being the real you" it probably means you're a poo poo person.

Plus, being hated for what you are is pretty loving sucky, and introduces the whole level of frustration knowing that you can't stop those people detesting you, or wanting you dead, no matter what you do, since your very existance is an affront to them.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Change Form's what? Change Form's diapers?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I love that supposedly new macros are still including 'share this for a day, I dare you!' It's gonna be on their timeline in two days as well, relax!

https://www.facebook.com/britainfirstgb/photos/a.346633882148546.1073741826.300455573433044/444956035649663/?type=1

It's not that I think kids will get brainwashed to be future BNP members, but c'mon it's loving boring to sing a song every day.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

theironjef posted:

Change Form's what? Change Form's diapers?

Change Form's Albert Einstein, obviously.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Change Form's Albert Einstein, obviously.

drat right. Energy can only change form's Albert Einstein. Wisdom for the ages.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

fullroundaction posted:

The middle-aged equivalent seems to be macros about how the person and/or their entire family are so wacky/crazy/InSaNe!!!

Pretty much every woman I know over 45ish posts something weekly about how they're the black sheeps of the family, either jokingly or not, because they're just so goddamn eccentric / out of control, when they're really all just completely boring people living normal lives.

Here's some actual content from my roommate's sister. She's a doctor. That treats patients.

You got it Doc! Anxiety disorders are a direct result of you being such a strong, brave person! Also some completely made up stats :downs:

1. It's nice that she actually has some sense of sympathy/empathy for people with psych disorders even if it is a really loving dumb way to put it...
2. She's a doctor, you really expect her to know actual medical statistics? :colbert:

It was hellacious to get an actual physical medical problem treated because I have actual mental health problems. Once I finally found a doctor who listened, we finally got it cleared up. But it does seem that there are a lot of doctors who believe that mental illness precludes you from having physical illnesses.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

mng posted:

I love that supposedly new macros are still including 'share this for a day, I dare you!' It's gonna be on their timeline in two days as well, relax!

https://www.facebook.com/britainfirstgb/photos/a.346633882148546.1073741826.300455573433044/444956035649663/?type=1

It's not that I think kids will get brainwashed to be future BNP members, but c'mon it's loving boring to sing a song every day.

For a moment, I read that as "Boston Council", and was left stunned that the macro wasn't calling for heads to roll.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

mng posted:

It's such a loving dirge of a song. I take it they don't sing the verse about crushing rebellious Scots.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Shelf Adventure posted:

It's such a loving dirge of a song. I take it they don't sing the verse about crushing rebellious Scots.

Oh I have to look up the lyrics now!

I was in private school as a kid in Denmark, and from grades 1 to 5 we had daily assembly every morning singing various songs. Sometimes the anthem as well, but everyone just hoped the headmaster would pick the song with the fewest verses. Everyone would just mumble along as the teachers sang. :denmark:

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Bored posted:

It was hellacious to get an actual physical medical problem treated because I have actual mental health problems. Once I finally found a doctor who listened, we finally got it cleared up. But it does seem that there are a lot of doctors who believe that mental illness precludes you from having physical illnesses.

Yup, this is absolutely true. I worked on a psych unit and we'd refer to the phenomenon as 'psych pts are magic': basically that the greater medical community seems to believe that if you have a psych problem, you are magically immune to all non psych illness. Chest pain? Send em to the psych unit. Blood in the stool? Send em to the psych unit. Covered in bed bug bites? Sounds like something for a psychiatrist. Better send em to the psych unit. I don't know how many schizophrenics or bipolar people we sent back to the ER because there was zero reason for acute psych care: they just happened to be mentally ill in the hospital.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I get the "English=good=America" equation going on. It's just such a dumb thing in so many ways. The moment you start thinking about it, that's the moment it falls apart.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Just don't go thank that soldier, he'll shoot you.

And if you can read it, wouldn't you be reading it in English as well? Or does this person think bilingual people auto-translate it in their foreigner brain? Why am I trying to rationalize this poo-poo.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

You're trying to rationalize it because you can't comprehend why so many people express sentiments like this and still manage to like, drive cars and have jobs and stuff. If you are anything like me at least.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

''Absolute hell'' doesn't seem to indicate the badass level of skill the sign wants to. Like, he's a bad negotiator but a worse shot.
:goonsay:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

kith_groupie posted:

I get the "English=good=America" equation going on. It's just such a dumb thing in so many ways. The moment you start thinking about it, that's the moment it falls apart.

What if you were born blind :ohdear:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Then you owe the soldier nothing.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
The message takes on a sarcastic tone if you imagine the sign is placed in a foreign country.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Clearly the teacher was a failure.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

mng posted:

Reminder that Britain First is a fascist political party that people in the UK unironically (and mostly unintentionally imo) share their awful shite to their Facebook friends... Saying that; in the few regions they stood in the European Elections they got a derisory vote, but they obviously didn't pick regions for their likelyhood to support British nationalism but those that would give them a local TV broadcast (they were never going to get significant votes in Scotland or Wales).

The only flag issue that I remember near here was the Labour/Tory coalition on my local council trying to replace the Saltire with the Union Flag, which annoyed lots of people since it seemed... politically motivated, especially considering the independence referendum and all...

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

Reminder that Britain First is a fascist political party that people in the UK unironically (and mostly unintentionally imo) share their awful shite to their Facebook friends... Saying that; in the few regions they stood in the European Elections they got a derisory vote, but they obviously didn't pick regions for their likelyhood to support British nationalism but those that would give them a local TV broadcast (they were never going to get significant votes in Scotland or Wales).

The only flag issue that I remember near here was the Labour/Tory coalition on my local council trying to replace the Saltire with the Union Flag, which annoyed lots of people since it seemed... politically motivated, especially considering the independence referendum and all...

Yeah, my friend that shared it must have shared it from someone else. UKIP gained a lot of traction in the recent EU parliament polls, is this party actually worse? It sure is fascinating to see good ol' fascism rise in Europe again.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

mng posted:

Yeah, my friend that shared it must have shared it from someone else. UKIP gained a lot of traction in the recent EU parliament polls, is this party actually worse? It sure is fascinating to see good ol' fascism rise in Europe again.

Britain First was founded on the principle that the BNP, UKIP and EDL are too left wing. They unironically wear black shirts and prance about talking about how they want to kill the undesirables.

It'd be very easy to look at them and conclude that they're satire of the rise of the right in the UK and Europe, but no, they're serious.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Britain First are actually a bit smarter than EDL. They post quite a bit of "our boys" stuff which you'd seem like a twat if you disagreed with, often without a clear anti-immigrant stance. People see these, share them, and don't realise that there's some really vile stuff on their page.

If in doubt, if a political party (or movement, EDL wasn't actually a party) in Britain includes the word England, UK, Britain or anything like that, 9/10 they're racist as poo poo.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Bored posted:

1. It's nice that she actually has some sense of sympathy/empathy for people with psych disorders even if it is a really loving dumb way to put it...
2. She's a doctor, you really expect her to know actual medical statistics? :colbert:

The stat actually isn't wrong. Almost 1 in 2 Americans will meet criteria for a dsm disorder at some point in their lives.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15939837/

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

Goosed it. posted:

The stat actually isn't wrong. Almost 1 in 2 Americans will meet criteria for a dsm disorder at some point in their lives.

To add to this, these disorders are sometimes the result of someone's strong-headedness/principles/other such things getting them into situations that they can't cope with, or just being in a situation where your "strength of character" gets beaten down and broken. An example would be the stereotypical veteran who can't find work/validation in the civilian sector and descends into poverty and despair.

But really it's a forward reminding people that their mental health problems aren't their fault, that their lives are worth living, and to inform others that the people suffering from these disorders are still people that need support. I get that this thread hates empty feel-good stuff, but this is actually pretty good.

Occupy Sesame Street! has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Oct 8, 2014

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It's not a matter of it being empty feel-good schlock, it's the fact that A Doctor is saying that your mental illness is CAUSED BY you being such a great, strong person. It makes less and less sense every time you read the image.

At least that's why I posted it to begin with.

e: I understand the sentiment behind the image, I just think it's presented in a really irritating way. You're not automatically an awesome dude either just because you meet some DSM criteria.

fullroundaction has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Oct 8, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

fullroundaction posted:

A Doctor is saying that your mental illness is CAUSED BY you being such a great, strong person.

*trying* to be a great, strong person

Which is a valid point, if you were 'weak' enough to give in earlier and seek help before everything becomes overbearing, you probably wouldn't be in the mess you're in, usually.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

SybilVimes posted:

*trying* to be a great, strong person

Which is a valid point, if you were 'weak' enough to give in earlier and seek help before everything becomes overbearing, you probably wouldn't be in the mess you're in, usually.

This is put better than I was about to, so I'll just quote it.

I don't think it's a bad idea to tell people with major depression or anxiety disorders that they're strong though. Or even that their being strong is what got them into this mess. When everything else in their life is screaming "You are weak" into their faces a little exaggeration/white lie to offer support can be good.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

One of these people has a PhD and the other is an RN. The RN has also been talking about how they are bringing essential oils to their clinic to help prevent infection.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

All that's missing is the fedora.

And clearly can't handle a joke post about what words to call women aside from females.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

What the gently caress is "British nationalism?" British isn't a nationality. English and Welsh and Scottish are nationalities. British is a label that is forced on Indians and Pakistanis to show that they are not as strong or as good as even the Irish.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

BgRdMchne posted:

What the gently caress is "British nationalism?" British isn't a nationality. English and Welsh and Scottish are nationalities. British is a label that is forced on Indians and Pakistanis to show that they are not as strong or as good as even the Irish.

British nationalists are people who think the Empire was a really cool thing and that British (i.e. English, the Welsh and Irish and Scots were just colonized) people are the smartest and strongest in the world and should be exporting their culture everywhere and get stiffies thinking about Queen Lizzie.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

British nationalists are people who think the Empire was a really cool thing and that British (i.e. English, the Welsh and Irish and Scots were just colonized) people are the smartest and strongest in the world and should be exporting their culture everywhere and get stiffies thinking about Queen Lizzie.

I thought they were called "wankers."

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

BgRdMchne posted:

I thought they were called "wankers."

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Not quite, we have those in Scotland too.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Goosed it. posted:

I checked a couple of sources, but they were different then yours. Since I couldn't back up that the stats might be incorrect, I decided to ignore it. It bothers me that people make mental illness into a strength of character thing instead of something that just is. It doesn't make you more awesome than someone without mental problems because you are just so strong.

into the void posted:

Yup, this is absolutely true. I worked on a psych unit and we'd refer to the phenomenon as 'psych pts are magic': basically that the greater medical community seems to believe that if you have a psych problem, you are magically immune to all non psych illness. Chest pain? Send em to the psych unit. Blood in the stool? Send em to the psych unit. Covered in bed bug bites? Sounds like something for a psychiatrist. Better send em to the psych unit. I don't know how many schizophrenics or bipolar people we sent back to the ER because there was zero reason for acute psych care: they just happened to be mentally ill in the hospital.
Forgot to add that I never had problems being treated for things until I went on psych meds. Somehow getting treated for mental problems makes you MORE crazy in the eyes of doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

thanks obama

• Locked thread