Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sounds like she was the daughter-in-law, so probably married to Barry Watson's character or something.

Yup that's her. Despite watching it pretty regularly, the "Matt dates a j-j-j-Jew" storyline is one of the only ones I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Maybe it's because I lowered my expectations to rock-bottom, but I actually enjoyed American Horror Story season 3 a lot! It's silly as gently caress a lot of the time and isn't really that scary, but it's still really entertaining. Why did goons hate it so much?

Because it was written with seemingly no real consensus among the writers on what the 'main' arc should be, or who the protagonist should be, or even what the rules of the universe in general should be. Example - the central storyline seems like it wants to be "Who will be the next Supreme?" but the characters and even the show itself have no real idea on what determines this until the penultimate episode when it says, "This is how we pick a Supreme, forget everything that everyone else said before." The way that's handled smacks very much of a collection of writers who introduced an idea and didn't actually bother to flesh it out before they started writing it into episodes, until they got to the end of the season and said, "Whoops, I guess we should figure this out now, huh?"

There are fun and even memorable moments to the season, but the thing as a whole is just sloppy and dumb.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Where do I go to talk about Twin Peaks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

net cafe scandal posted:

Where do I go to talk about Twin Peaks.

The Twin Peaks thread!!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3219081&pagenumber=1

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
drat. The Flash pilot did a 1.8 in the demo last night, coming in 3rd in a timeslot with NCIS and The Voice. Granted, it's a series premiere that got a decent amount of hype, but that's still a monster rating for The CW. They're inching ever closer to not being the also-ran broadcast network.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

hcreight posted:

drat. The Flash pilot did a 1.8 in the demo last night, coming in 3rd in a timeslot with NCIS and The Voice. Granted, it's a series premiere that got a decent amount of hype, but that's still a monster rating for The CW. They're inching ever closer to not being the also-ran broadcast network.

Well if the bar is NBC it shouldn't take too much longer.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IRQ posted:

Well if the bar is NBC it shouldn't take too much longer.

Reminder that NBC came in #1 in the demo last season.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Actually things are dire enough across the board that NBC is doing relatively ok right now and the bar is either Fox or ABC.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Isn't the CW the only network showing consistent growth in the demos? It helps that they have a really strong brand and know what their viewers want, basically beautiful young actors in genre shows with strong prime time soap influences.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just watched season 1 of Reign and I have to say that the CW knows how to make watchable television.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

NBC was actually the #1 network last year, I believe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hope and vaseline posted:

Isn't the CW the only network showing consistent growth in the demos? It helps that they have a really strong brand and know what their viewers want, basically beautiful young actors in genre shows with strong prime time soap influences.

I don't know about growth, but they're the only network that hasn't suffered from large declines over the last few years. You could say that's because they're already lower rated, and that's true, but the fact remains is that they're pretty much keeping steady while everyone else is falling. And yes it helps that they are producing a lot of good shows right now. As I mentioned elsewhere I watch more shows airing on CW than any other broadcast networks.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Because it had zero sense of drama or danger because they kept introducing plot points only to never mention them again and almost every character dies and is brought back from the dead, often multiple times and offscreen with zero fanfare or consequence.

Fair enough, the constant resurrection was pretty dumb. The worst death was Misty's because there wasn't really any reason for her not to be able to do that part of the test. I don't remember any egregious cases of plot points being dropped with no conclusion, though.

SymfonyMan posted:

It's strange when people state the real reason in their question. Not being scary and being really silly was enough for me to not think it was entertaining. I think I phased out by the time that chick was getting raped by a Minotaur or something. Oh boy.

Yeah but silly as gently caress and not scary doesn't mean it's not a fun show. The first couple of seasons also had plenty of humor throughout, they just stuck to the horror a lot more.

xeria posted:

Because it was written with seemingly no real consensus among the writers on what the 'main' arc should be, or who the protagonist should be, or even what the rules of the universe in general should be. Example - the central storyline seems like it wants to be "Who will be the next Supreme?" but the characters and even the show itself have no real idea on what determines this until the penultimate episode when it says, "This is how we pick a Supreme, forget everything that everyone else said before." The way that's handled smacks very much of a collection of writers who introduced an idea and didn't actually bother to flesh it out before they started writing it into episodes, until they got to the end of the season and said, "Whoops, I guess we should figure this out now, huh?"

There are fun and even memorable moments to the season, but the thing as a whole is just sloppy and dumb.

That was pretty consistently the main through-line of the season. We knew that the next Supreme would manifest multiple powers and then do the test, and apart from that it was more about who made more narrative sense to become the Supreme than just picking one of them and being done. The only thing that bothered me about that was that they didn't focus on Cordelia getting more powerful so it was a bit of a left turn on that account when she became the Supreme, even though it made sense considering the character development between her and Fiona.

But again, I had lowered my expectations a lot going in since so many people disliked it, so I was expecting utter poo poo and I got a pretty fun season instead.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah but silly as gently caress and not scary doesn't mean it's not a fun show...

So you don't get it.

quote:

The first couple of seasons also had plenty of humor throughout, they just stuck to the horror a lot more...

Oh, no you get it. What you found fun and entertaining I found hokey, bad writing, and boring. Because it didn't focus and stick to any horror there was no tension to the show.

"Tune in to see how wacky we can get!"

No, no thank you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrAristocrates posted:

First time I've heard that. Things must be dire for network tv. :ohdear:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Wasn't NBC's success mostly The Blacklist and The Voice doing well?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

IRQ posted:

First time I've heard that. Things must be dire for network tv. :ohdear:

NBC has Voice and Blacklist as their hits.

ABC has Modern Family and the Shonda Rhimes Power Thursday, so they're fine. ADn don't forget DWTS and The Bachelor.

CBS is, of course fine.

Fox's biggest hit was Sleepy Hollow and even that only got around ~2.0. AI is pretty much dead, Glee is a zombie, Hell's Hotel Nightmares: Kids Edition is slowly sinking as it becomes more and more common place.

Fox is slowly slipping to CW numbers and actually got sub CW numbers the night Glee and Raid(? That drug cop show) premiered.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I think The Flash's ratings are even more impressive if you think about how many people probably watched the leaked pilot months ago.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Spatula City posted:

Wasn't NBC's success mostly The Blacklist and The Voice doing well?

As well as SNF in the Fall and good ratings from The Winter Olympics. Plus a few other shows are doing fairly well, like Chicago Fire.

It's not so much that NBC is suddenly in great shape again, it's that ratings have been gradually declining on all four of the big networks for years now, and the other three particularly had a rough year last season. CBS still has its big hits to fall back on but holes in the lineup started showing elsewhere. ABC still has the Shonda shows, MF and OUAT (now with Frozen characters!) but had some flops last year and SHIELD wasn't the megahit they were hoping for. Fox is kind of a mess right now, partially because Utopia (the reality show) is going down as one of the biggest financial duds in recent memory.

I'm guessing CBS will take back #1 this year, but over the long haul all four of them will have their feet to the fire.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Postal Parcel posted:

Glee is a zombie,

Hey now, that's a bit unfair. Zombies are actually doing quite well ratings-wise these days.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which reminds me they've already greenlit season six of TWD.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

hollylolly posted:

I think The Flash's ratings are even more impressive if you think about how many people probably watched the leaked pilot months ago.

Wow, you're right. I just checked TVBTN

code:
8:00PM 	
	CBS 	NCIS 			2.6 	9 	17.08
	NBC 	The Voice (8-10PM) 	2.4 	8 	9.00
	CW 	The Flash 		1.8 	6 	4.50
	ABC 	Selfie 			1.1 	4 	3.90
	FOX 	Family Guy -R (8-9PM) 	0.9 	3 	1.98

9:00PM 	
	CBS 	NCIS: New Orleans 	2.3 	7 	15.34
	ABC 	S.H.I.E.L.D. 		1.6 	5 	4.39
	FOX 	New Girl 		1.3 	4 	2.55
	CW 	Supernatural 		1.2 	4 	2.79

Fox hit sub CW viewers and sub CW numbers(Mindy pulled a 1.0)

Selfie and MLS are also dead, in case that wasn't obvious.
SHIELD may have also dipped below Sleepy Hollow this week. However, final Tuesday numbers aren't out yet

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Postal Parcel posted:

Good. The second episode was not an improvement. That show is awful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MLS?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Major League Soccer is the worst.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Manhattan Love Story.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Manhattan Love Story.

V

hollylolly posted:

Major League Soccer is the worst.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Postal Parcel posted:

Wow, you're right. I just checked TVBTN

code:
8:00PM 	
	CBS 	NCIS 			2.6 	9 	17.08
	NBC 	The Voice (8-10PM) 	2.4 	8 	9.00
	CW 	The Flash 		1.8 	6 	4.50
	ABC 	Selfie 			1.1 	4 	3.90
	FOX 	Family Guy -R (8-9PM) 	0.9 	3 	1.98

9:00PM 	
	CBS 	NCIS: New Orleans 	2.3 	7 	15.34
	ABC 	S.H.I.E.L.D. 		1.6 	5 	4.39
	FOX 	New Girl 		1.3 	4 	2.55
	CW 	Supernatural 		1.2 	4 	2.79

Fox hit sub CW viewers and sub CW numbers(Mindy pulled a 1.0)

SHIELD may have also dipped below Sleepy Hollow this week. However, final Tuesday numbers aren't out yet

It probably should amaze me that NCIS has nearly twice as many viewers as The Voice, but only pulls an extra .2 in the demo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

It probably should amaze me that NCIS has nearly twice as many viewers as The Voice, but only pulls an extra .2 in the demo.

The disparity between CBS demo/overall ratings should tighten a TV exec's butthole. Yeah ten billion people watched CSI but only six of them were under the age of seventy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Only people over the age of 70 watch commercials though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doesn't matter if they all have fixed incomes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there a Peaky Blinders thread? Because that show is severely good stuff. Hammy as all hell, especially Sir Samuel Neill, but goddamn it looks amazing and is incredibly fun. It's the period piece that Copper didn't have the budget or talent to be, kinda.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

I can't remember the last TV show that was actually scary to me.

The attempted baby drowning scene on this week's Homeland had me clutching the armrests of my seat. That was pretty terrifying, both from the way it was shot/edited and the act itself.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

precision posted:

Is there a Peaky Blinders thread? Because that show is severely good stuff. Hammy as all hell, especially Sir Samuel Neill, but goddamn it looks amazing and is incredibly fun. It's the period piece that Copper didn't have the budget or talent to be, kinda.

I don't think that many people watch it but yeah, it's a great show. I'm glad it didn't turn out to be "Copper but this time the criminals are the good guys" like I originally thought it was when I first heard about it. Cillian Murphy's great and I hope he does more TV work whenever Peaky Blinders wraps up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thrawn527 posted:

Good. The second episode was not an improvement. That show is awful.

You bolded Selfie, but the same thing could be said of Manhattan Love Story. At least I was able to watch Selfie's second episode all the way through without turning it off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought Homeland would be so much better now that Brody's family is gone. Too bad.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

raditts posted:

You bolded Selfie, but the same thing could be said of Manhattan Love Story. At least I was able to watch Selfie's second episode all the way through without turning it off.
Both those pilots were terrible so it's safe to say the second episode of both shows was a drastic improvement. Not that it matters much, I guess.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought Homeland would be so much better now that Brody's family is gone. Too bad.
I haven't watched any of this season. Should I stay away?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still haven't mustered up the will to finish season TWO of Homeland.

What a shame that show went sideways so severely. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thank you TV friend

• Locked thread