Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

still of all the things one could have ideas about in 2013, "let's buy nokia" shouldn't be near the top of that list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Metrication posted:

so what were those features that couldn't be done ?

palladium / cprm

one of the devs said it was hard enough to get the video hardware to work properly to begin with, never mind to break it on command when someone draggs a ripped copy of meet the parents.mkv into windows media player

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qirex posted:

still of all the things one could have ideas about in 2013, "let's buy nokia" shouldn't be near the top of that list

:agreed:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

This is, says Nadella, “a great world. It’s not lost on a few other people who are capable of exploiting that world. But the thing . . . what is scarce in all of this abundance is human attention. And whoever does the best job of building the right software experiences to give both organizations and individuals time back...

i got this far and wanted my time back tbh

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

There’s a sense in the world outside Redmond, Washington, that Microsoft’s best days are behind it, that the sprawling colossus, which employs more than 100,000 people, doesn’t know what it is, or even what it wants to be. Gates and Nadella are adamant that’s not the case, and they are both adept at the sort of big-picture corporate-speak designed to persuade people that the company not only has its act together but also has a vision.

but that means they dont have a vision!!!!

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Shaggar posted:

spotlight is just search. its not at all similar.

spotlight is a metadata store

it's used for things beyond "just search"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
do people really use the google pay store?

i thought android users just rooted and pirated all their pay-for apps.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Unfortunately, HFS+ is a total piece of poo poo. Apple should have adopted XFS.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sniep posted:

do people really use the google pay store?

i thought android users just rooted and pirated all their pay-for apps.

I bought desert golf

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

if larry had bought sun a wee bit earlier Apple would've kept up with the ZFS stuff

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

im sure when apple change file system it will be seamless and upgrade in the background due to magic

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
can any other os compete with windows in the enterprise?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
wait people actually own androids?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Fame Douglas posted:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

ios

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios isn't even competitive w/ android anymore

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Thanks Ants posted:

there was an asus laptop with a lump on the outside used to demo how useful it was, in a "look you can see the emails that arrived while this thing was awake that you didnt get a chance to read. no it cant update when its asleep" way.

2008 was a dark time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only good microsoft sideshow would be a bunch of dudes doing donuts in the parking lot

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shaggar posted:

ios isn't even competitive w/ android anymore

you gotta try harder than this

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Thanks Ants posted:

im sure when apple change file system it will be seamless and upgrade in the background due to magic

This happened in Windows 2000 if you upgraded from 98 FAT32. You would install Windows 2000 on a FAT32 partition, and then in the OS you would run a command that would just convert it all over to NTFS and it just worked.

loving voodo, you could keep using the OS while it was running too.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

fat32 was some basic stupid poo poo, migrating off ntfs with all the weird rear end features not breaking anything would be a real trick

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

oh yeah. convert.exe was one way

but why would you want something other than NTFS on a workstation?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

fat32 was some basic stupid poo poo, migrating off ntfs with all the weird rear end features not breaking anything would be a real trick

i had to write a fuckin huge nasty disgusting python script that moved 1.2TB of networked user paths & folders to HFS from NTFS and fix filenames and poo poo

lol

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

but why would you want something other than NTFS ZFS on a workstation?

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

pagancow posted:

This happened in Windows 2000 if you upgraded from 98 FAT32. You would install Windows 2000 on a FAT32 partition, and then in the OS you would run a command that would just convert it all over to NTFS and it just worked.

loving voodo, you could keep using the OS while it was running too.

well outside of encrypted or sparse files, FAT and NTFS don't actually store files differently

the conversion is basically reading the FAT metadata, and writing out the NTFS version into freespace, and after that's done it writes the NTFS stuff onto the front of the volume

The general outline of the conversion process is as follows:
  • Create holes (that is, relocate FAT clusters) for the fixed-location NTFS structure and other contiguous data (if necessary) and save the new FAT. If the necessary sectors cannot be made available due to being unreadable, for example, the conversion process will fail and the FAT volume will remain in the same state it was in before the attempted conversion.
  • Create NTFS elementary data structures in FAT free space. These are the fixed-size tables and structures common to any NTFS volume. The size of these tables may vary depending on the size of the volume, but do not depend on the number of files on the volume.
  • Create the NTFS master file table and directory listings in the FAT free space. The space required for this step is variable and depends on the total number of files on the FAT volume.
  • Mark as free in the NTFS bitmap those NTFS clusters being used by FAT- specific structures. After the conversion is complete, the FAT meta-data overhead can be reclaimed as free space to NTFS.
  • Write NTFS boot sector. This is the final action that causes the volume to be recognized as NTFS rather than FAT. If the conversion fails at any step prior to this, the volume will still be a valid FAT volume and will be recognized as such.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

the only good microsoft sideshow would be a bunch of dudes doing donuts in the parking lot
the one guy who could have organized that put on his vader helmet, mounted his motorcycle, and rode off into the sunset

:rip: lunix archduke

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

enterprise is kind of a vague term

if you mean office poo poo, then yeah it's theoretically possible

for a lot of enterprise services all they need "don't change for x years" and windows is the best at doing that (and they've been around for x+n years)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think he meant the USS Enterprise.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

raruler posted:

if larry had bought sun a wee bit earlier Apple would've kept up with the ZFS stuff

zfs doesnt seem like a good choice for a consumer file system.

im the file system that needs a relatively large amount of ECC ram to work efficiently

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

hfs+ isn't a good choice for anything

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

hfs+ isn't a good choice for anything

More like HFCS+

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

raruler posted:

spotlight is a metadata store

it's used for things beyond "just search"

didn't know this. can you do more complex queries based on attribute values?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol that Toronto goal song is awful

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013
I don't understand what's wrong with hfs+. enlighten me please

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

lol that Toronto goal song is awful

lol wrong thread

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

lol wrong thread

oh i thought ballmer had bought a mls team

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pagoe posted:

I don't understand what's wrong with hfs+. enlighten me please

it's a hacked together stuff made for backwards compatibility and it's not very pretty at all

it's basically what you'd expect if microsoft developed a(nother) file system

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
and even the backwards compat was hosed up in practice

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
ah yes, let's have os9 ruin everything if you try holding onto more than one mac os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ArmZ posted:

Can't calm the balm.

• Locked thread