Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ocrumsprug posted:

Basically we are all old enough to have played Basic, and have been playing together for long enough that there is no concerns about being useless (though the unfortunately stat'd Shaman one guy did roll at one point was close) or the DM being a dick for the sake of being a dick. Plus we all played enough Living Greyhawk and other RPGA campaigns with stat arrays so we would rather change it up.

It is only one of three or so campaigns we have going at any time, and it is basically sit around and eat pizza time and roll dice in any case.

We may also be assuming it will be in roll in order since most of the group is looking at Next like the throwback it is. The DM is pretty excited though, so there will be a fine balancing act between having fun with it, and throwing the farce in his face.

Okay, yeah, going into it knowing exactly what you're getting into is the one way I expected that it would go down well. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

moths posted:

Well they have been pretty abrasive and eager to bitch about NOTED MMO CRIMINAL 4E. In the Next thread.
I really have no interest in talking about 4e, except people keep coming up and asking why aren't you playing 4e instead?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
This might be the most vituperative thread I've seen on this site, which is saying something. As broken as 5e may be, it is clear that a lot of people are choosing to invest in it and it's not fun to have every discussion about it become a fever dream of critique and negativity. You want to feel enthused about whatever game you play, even if its flawed, and having that feeling deflated by a non-stop orgy of nerd ire is frustrating.

This is why some posters want a thread devoid of negativity. It's not that these criticisms aren't legitimate or shouldn't be voiced, but after a certain point people who are choosing to proceed with this edition don't give a gently caress. They just want to play 5e games and be excited to play 5e games. I don't think that's a crazy impulse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What exactly is stopping people from just going in and sharing their experience? Like, go back one page and you see someone ask about the Champion and the Fighter subtypes and he gets a straight answer.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Radio Talmudist posted:

This might be the most vituperative thread I've seen on this site, which is saying something. As broken as 5e may be, it is clear that a lot of people are choosing to invest in it and it's not fun to have every discussion about it become a fever dream of critique and negativity. You want to feel enthused about whatever game you play, even if its flawed, and having that feeling deflated by a non-stop orgy of nerd ire is frustrating.

This is why some posters want a thread devoid of negativity. It's not that these criticisms aren't legitimate or shouldn't be voiced, but after a certain point people who are choosing to proceed with this edition don't give a gently caress. They just want to play 5e games and be excited to play 5e games. I don't think that's a crazy impulse.

Every day brings this thread closer and closer to the E/N pissing-in-the-well metaphor.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The criticism is important to have though. A lot of stuff is busted, or otherwise sloppily done, and really we should look at ways to fix them in our games. Ways other than pining for past editions or dogpiling those who like it.

Another thing I think they got right, is the cutting down on the number inflation that started in 3.5. I have much less to keep track of as far as bonuses go, and keeping track of whether you're "proficient" or not is pretty easy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I copy/pasted that from the original. And this thread has pretty much the same header. I see nothing new here.

:shrug:

With all that said, I think this thread is pretty crappy a lot of the time, and agree it gets edition warry and lovely sometimes, so...

e: I mean, we gripe in the 4e thread, but it's mostly constructive about how to fix it. There's less of that here for whatever reason - maybe because nobody has enough experience to fix the poo poo that's wrong with it.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 8, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Talmonis posted:

The criticism is important to have though. A lot of stuff is busted, or otherwise sloppily done, and really we should look at ways to fix them in our games. Ways other than pining for past editions or dogpiling those who like it.

How busted can stuff be before it's no longer worth fixing?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

What exactly is stopping people from just going in and sharing their experience? Like, go back one page and you see someone ask about the Champion and the Fighter subtypes and he gets a straight answer.

I made the horrible mistake of asking whether or not one character option was a good idea/worth it. And that fed right back into the "MY BALANCE" "MY OPTIONS" "MY CHILDHOOD" discussion.

In other news, I fell for the classic "Will you deliver this to a friend for me?" "You said yes? Oh good. I should have told you she's a banshee." trick the other day. While I've heard of it, I haven't seen a DM actually pull it off before. And I walked straight into it like an idiot.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

I copy/pasted that from the original. And this thread has pretty much the same header. I see nothing new here.

:shrug:

With all that said, I think this thread is pretty crappy a lot of the time, and agree it gets edition warry and lovely sometimes, so...

e: I mean, we gripe in the 4e thread, but it's mostly constructive about how to fix it. There's less of that here for whatever reason - maybe because nobody has enough experience to fix the poo poo that's wrong with it.
Wasn't there some discussion about high level battlemaster maneuvers? That was pretty cool.

Arcturas posted:

I made the horrible mistake of asking whether or not one character option was a good idea/worth it. And that fed right back into the "MY BALANCE" "MY OPTIONS" "MY CHILDHOOD" discussion.
You asked about fighter options and people answered you seriously, then you compared 4e to an MMO and people gave you poo poo for it.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 8, 2014

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Really Pants posted:

How busted can stuff be before it's no longer worth fixing?

Depends on if you like it or not. If not, there's always 13th Age, Pathfinder, Dungeon World, etc.

Not that the sky is falling anyway, the game is still fun for my group. And much better than the last 3.5 debacle we played through.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Wait, you're mad people talked about balance and character options when you asked if a class was good?

The gently caress did you expect people to talk about?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Wait, you're mad people talked about balance and character options when you asked if a class was good?

The gently caress did you expect people to talk about?

Judging by now Next is written, their feelings!

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
I think a lot of bitterness comes from how almost exactly the same the finished product is compared to when it was in the "play tests" phase. They had how many years and how much feedback to listen to in order to iron this poo poo out? I'm kind of irritated that it was basically just another publicity stunt like what Paizo pulled with Pathfinder. They never intended to take our feedback seriously at all, and in many cases took steps to make problem areas worse. Case in point: Changing short rests to an HOUR because people were enjoying Fighters being useful too much.

dwarf74 posted:

The reason behind this is because a lot of the problems we're addressing are problems that are actually difficult TO fix without just re-writing the whole drat system from the floor up. There's no formula to anything, it's just arbitrary mish-mash half the time, so any attempts to solve it amass to just... kinda making poo poo up. It's not like some kind of global, quantifiable problem where you can look at it and go, "Ah! Here's the problem! Here's how to fix it!". There's no simple fix for such complicated problems. For instance, my major issue is how unfriendly 5E is to new GMs, as discussed in how poorly constructed 5E's encounter building vs. reward system is. How CAN you fix that without cutting that entire section out and replacing it with something better?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

"Quit being mean and pointing out the problems with this game I am super excited about guys."

:qqsay:

There is an argument that since the game kind of falls over as you level up, people haven't really had the time to play the game enough to know how to fix the problems yet.

Like what should my fifth Battle Master maneuver be? Am I playing the game wrong because I don't really care? (Probably true but whatever.)

I suppose people could post about what interesting and novel things they are doing with the system. Shield hand-crossbow fighters kind of rules, so lets hear what good stuff you are doing. However I would expect that if I told the thread about how Next is fine, since I was able to consume my pizza as per normal on Friday, that I would be deservedly mocked for being a dum-dum.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ocrumsprug posted:

Like what should my fifth Battle Master maneuver be? Am I playing the game wrong because I don't really care? (Probably true but whatever.)

Not at all. The major problem with the maneuver-picking all-from-one-unlevelled-list design is that you pick all of them from the same list, so as you level you get stuff you didn't want before.

The Slayer and Knight had the same problem in Essentials. You pick two stances at first level, use one of them almost exclusively and the other occasionally, then at later levels you basically wind up with dead levels because it's like 'hey, pick one of those things you decided weren't good enough last time, to add to your repertoire'. There's no synergy to find, there's nothing new to choose from. It's just more stuff you'll never actually use.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Let's be honest here. I don't give a flying gently caress about your hurt fi-fis over the lovely play test, and how you feel your market segment has been ignored in favor of 3.5 grogtards.

You don't give a gently caress about my feelings either over the constant griping about how 5e is a worthless piece of poo poo, and everyone who plays it must suck at the teat of Tarnowski and Zak.

Which is why this thread is a cesspool of acrimony and vituperation, and why I proposed a separate thread.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Don't have a PHB yet but I'm looking for character class recommendations for someone fairly inexperienced with tabletop RPGs, ideally something that's not a one-trick pony but that doesn't have an overwhelming number of options to keep track of (so probably no full casters). I assume the class balance is good enough at level 1 that they'll generally be able to feel like they're contributing with just about anything.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

ascendance posted:

Let's be honest here. I don't give a flying gently caress about your hurt fi-fis over the lovely play test, and how you feel your market segment has been ignored in favor of 3.5 grogtards.

You don't give a gently caress about my feelings either over the constant griping about how 5e is a worthless piece of poo poo, and everyone who plays it must suck at the teat of Tarnowski and Zak.

Which is why this thread is a cesspool of acrimony and vituperation, and why I proposed a separate thread.

lmao, it's like Zak S never left

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Gabriel Pope posted:

Don't have a PHB yet but I'm looking for character class recommendations for someone fairly inexperienced with tabletop RPGs, ideally something that's not a one-trick pony but that doesn't have an overwhelming number of options to keep track of (so probably no full casters). I assume the class balance is good enough at level 1 that they'll generally be able to feel like they're contributing with just about anything.

I'd recommend playing a Barbarian. It's a solid class that has more than just the basics, but not too much to keep track of.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Let's be honest here. You don't give a flying gently caress about constructive criticism for 5e or actually posting about what you like or what it has done well, or even the fun experiences you've had.

You don't give a gently caress about our feelings over the constant griping about how we shouldn't criticize a product that has it's ups and downs, and everyone who does so is a a negative rear end in a top hat with zero love for the game at all, no exceptions.

Which is why this thread is such a cesspool of acrimony and vituperation, and why I propose we start talking about our next games and discussing what kind of fun we've had, or our plans for future games, and what we'd like to see from mearls & co.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ascendance posted:

Unless you are proposing a new Next campaign setting, you are the only one not discussing Next here.

Someone make that setting.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

ascendance posted:

Can we get the thread renamed to "D&D Next: A Cesspool of Acrimony and Vituperation", thanks.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ascendance posted:

I am only trying my best to help people with the very important question "Should I buy or play D&D 5e" (the short answer is no)

I don't understand why people are so offended by this.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

ascendance posted:

Yeah let's ignore the page and a half about interesting Fighter/Paladin builds and talk some more about how some people are mean to you. Maybe if you contributed something other than "stop complaining about these problems" and actually started discussing the good parts of 5e, this thread would move in a direction you prefer.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What the gently caress is a hurt fi-fi?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I love that this was somehow all about bashing 4e after all. Gotta get those late hits where you can!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ascendance posted:

Holy poo poo.

gently caress, just PM a mod or something. "Can I make a DnDNext thread where people aren't allowed to be mean to me?"

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gabriel Pope posted:

Battle Master Fighter probably is probably a good choice. It is low option, without being Champion level option.

Rogue may also be ok, but Rogues can have a game mastery requirement that is entirely predicted on the DM or game you are playing.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

"You guys sound like you have hurt feelings.

Now please let me have a thread where anyone that says anything negative about my favorite game gets banned :qq:"

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Hurt feelings.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

ascendance posted:

You've literally posted nothing other then consistent whining at others in this thread. You've probably contributed the least to any actual discussion.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kai Tave posted:

A fi-fi is an improvised masturbation device, like a lubed roll of socks or something.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ascendance posted:

If you don't like the thread then stop posting in it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Have there been any interesting attempts to make the Assassin paragon path not so laughably awful? It was ridiculously disappointing and seems like it was written with the intention of being NPC class, and only for a really specific type of city-based campaign setting at that thanks to how laboriously the 'Costume' schtick works and how each disguise is effectively a one-time use chit. The capstone is just the possibility of a sudden sudden ejaculation of damage during the surprise round due to how the rules for 'Surprise' are worded. There's no finesse, no 'I've got your weakness in my back pocket,' it's just 'I splooge damage all over that guy.'

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

You've literally posted nothing other then consistent whining at others in this thread. You've probably contributed the least to any actual discussion.
right, because the main theme of discussion on thread is an endless circle jerk over how terrible 5e is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

RPGnet allows you to create threads where anyone saying anything negative gets banned by putting [5e+] in the thread title. Perhaps that might be a better site for what some of you are looking for?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

Have there been any interesting attempts to make the Assassin paragon path not so laughably awful? It was ridiculously disappointing and seems like it was written with the intention of being NPC class, and only for a really specific type of city-based campaign setting at that thanks to how laboriously the 'Costume' schtick works and how each disguise is effectively a one-time use chit. The capstone is just the possibility of a sudden sudden ejaculation of damage during the surprise round due to how the rules for 'Surprise' are worded. There's no finesse, no 'I've got your weakness in my back pocket,' it's just 'I splooge damage all over that guy.'
I think most people default to playing some other flavor of rogue, and saying they are an Assassin. Or possibly a shadow monk.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

Are paragon paths in DnDNext?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

ascendance posted:

I think most people default to playing some other flavor of rogue, and saying they are an Assassin. Or possibly a shadow monk.

Neither of the other two Rogue paths really sells being a learned killer of beings great and small, though. What's shadow monk's schtick, and does it blend with crossbows?

Nihilarian posted:

Are paragon paths in DnDNext?

My apologies, it's a 'Roguish Archetype.'